• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 lightbar can be turned off in future PS4 firmware! [Update: Nope]

lulz57orm9gk13yzxd2.gif

LOL

This is funny! :D

DieH@rd

Banned
I don't understand how an led uses up so much battery though

Because they drive it with 100% strength. With homebrew PC drivers we can control the strength of the LED, and Sony would be much more wiser to instead turning it off just dim the light to 10%. That's more than enough, and would not bother anyone with the illumination/reflection/glare.

edit - just saw this:
Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp 16s
@geoffkeighley no, I said dim the LED, not turn off

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/446715003391856640

This makes sense.

Nymphae

Banned
I think allowing dimming is a good compromise. It's the only way to tell player 1 from player 2 after all.

Why do we need a compromise? I am a single player gamer who doesn't enjoy motion controlled games, I have no use for the light. Just let me fucking turn it off, I really don't get why they are pushing so hard against this.

Vibranium

Banned
Dimming is fine, as long as it's substantial. I honestly don't know why Shu is so hung up over not shutting it off though, keep it on by default and only tech-saavy people will shut it off using an off option anyways.

DieH@rd

Banned
Why do we need a compromise? I am a single player gamer who doesn't enjoy motion controlled games, I have no use for the light. Just let me fucking turn it off, I really don't get why they are pushing so hard against this.

Some light need to be active to show you if gamepad is active or not. 5-10% illumination will be 10000x better than the current state.

Caayn

I think allowing dimming is a good compromise. It's the only way to tell player 1 from player 2 after all.
A good compromise for what? Certainly not for the consumer. If it's a option to turn it off then people who play splitscreen can leave it on while people who only play solo can turn it off.

I play solo on my PS4, I don't own the PS EYE and don't plan on buying one, I'm a Plasma owner (aka reflections are annoying as shit thanks to the DS4). Just let me turn the damn thing off.

Having the option there doesn't hurt the consumer one bit.

StayDead

Some light need to be active to show you if gamepad is active or not. 5-10% illumination will be 10000x better than the current state.

Surely just using the controller will show you if it's on or off. The light is only useful if you're over the other side of the room away from it and want to see if it's on.

StuBurns

Banned
A good compromise for what? Certainly not for the consumer. If it's a option to turn it off then people who play splitscreen can leave it on while people who only play solo can turn it off.

I play solo on my PS4, I don't own the PS EYE and don't plan on buying one, I'm a Plasma owner (aka reflections are annoying as shit thanks to the DS4). Just let me turn the damn thing off.

Having the option there doesn't hurt the consumer one bit.
Yeah, it wouldn't be the new default, you'd have to get in a menu, and it could make it very clear what you're agreeing to.

Still have it light up when you sync, and maybe flash if the battery is very low, but just let us turn it off.

I think it's partially the Kinect argument. If you let people turn it off, no developer can design a game knowing for a fact that it's going to be working.

Oppo

Yeah they clearly have a reason to not disable it altogether. I doubt they are just being stubborn about it, it's not a complicated thing.

Why!?!? No one owns your stupid playstation eye.

900k, or about 1/6 of all PS4 owners. That is a pretty substantial install base for an optional accessory. Not to mention it has really hard supply constraints.

I'm fine with just dimming, as long as you can get it down to 10% of current brightness.

Dimming is good. Personally I would prefer they make it so you can manually change the lightbar color. If it has to be on at least let me decide what color I want reflecting back at me from the TV, dammit!

weird, i can use a ds4 on my pc fine with the light off (although i currently have it on to a nice lime green).

besides camera, can it possibly be used for anything else?

Carl

I like the light. I want a controller with 3 lights on it. And they should be brighter than the current one iss.

Kerned

Banned
Guys, I get HOW it works. The point I was trying to make (poorly!) was that I don't understand why it's a necessary feature. I've never once found it useful on the DS3 and I really don't like the lightbar on the DS4.

KalBalboa

Banned
Remember how well the Kinect sold? Then remember how well the Kinect was returned?

I blame those numbers on bundles rather than individual unit sales.

I absolutely don't.

The camera sells out like an SOB on Amazon, GameStop.com, etc, constantly. It's in demand to the point where GS raised the price $10.

It's not the consequence of a bundle.

sono

Ban Geoff Keighley for making up fake news :p

Someone else said in this thread he only has one job to report things like this accurately so I think he does have to answer for this.

Next tweet for him with definite news = file under maybe

Top Bottom