• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 lightbar can be turned off in future PS4 firmware! [Update: Nope]

sono

This is even bigger than the PS3 clock fix and I never thought such a thing was even possible.

Update:
w7AlKla.png

So the clock fix reigns supreme...

I find it very disappointing Sony isn't giving us more options for the light bar considering they clearly could.

There does seem to be a failure in the DS4 design where the only indication on the controller that it's on is the light as well as the only means to determine which controller is which. Such a short-sighted design.

Controller Options
->Light Bar
-->On
-->Off
-->Dim
an option would be great and personally hate the look of lightbar but this isnt a solution because if u pick the 'off' option u wouldnt know which controller is which. ms has an elegant solution in this regards but im not sure how sony can incorporate a solution given the current ds4 design. best we can hope for is dim im afraid

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I love that there is a huge outcry for turning off the light, then a massive celebration when they finally announce they are going to allow it...

Then they completely shit next to the toilet with a "woops, nope, just kidding"

Seriously. Sony. Just let us turn the fucking thing off.

Cheech

You just answered your own question.

It's supposed to be ambient light that you see in your peripheral vision, not aimed at your face blinding you or requiring you to look down at it to see what color it is.

Think of it as a form of those ambilight TVs.

Nobody wants this. It serves no useful purpose.

And to people who can't figure out which controller is whose without it; please let me worry about that. But they could add functionality to light the bar up if you shake the controller, I suppose.

No kidding. And WHAT GOOD IS A LIGHT THAT IS TURNED AWAY FROM YOU.

That's the thing. I play with a projector and that fucking controller light lights up the whole room. It drives me insane.

I want that thing dead. Dead, dead, dead. Did I mention how much I'm looking forward to spending some seat time on my new Xbone the next few weeks, and not have to pretend that there's a carnival coming through my theater room? When I have up to three DS4s going at once, I feel like I'm at a rave. Fuck that controller. Just god damn.
I'm right there with you bro. I usually turn off the lights when I game since I can see the reflection of my ceiling fan in my 65" mirror LG but the DS4 was so bright that I'd see not only the reflection of it but the whole room had a faint blue glow.

I'm guessing that white walls, silver window shades and a nearly white carpet is what made things so bad but the custom eBay cover has made it enough of a non-issue that I don't care what Sony does anymore. The bottom line is there should have been an option to disable it from the start without the need to cover the light with something.

krae_man

I don't see the point of it. It's never in my field of view so it doesn't add any ambiance for me. The other day I put it down while playing Tomb Raider to answer my phone and I saw the red and yellow flashing to simulate the torch I was holding and my thought was "Okay that's neat but I can't see it while playing".

this is the next best thing anyway. I'm sure they considered not turning it off because it'd be hard to know which person has which controller at first glance. But if they have a slider of some sort or an option, just go to the lowest setting. It should [hopefufly] still significantly improve battery life

Nobody wants this. It serves no useful purpose.

And to people who can't figure out which controller is whose without it; please let me worry about that. But they could add functionality to light the bar up if you shake the controller, I suppose.

Incorrect. Plenty like it, but Sony should cater to what you want right?

As I said before, it should be an option but don't double down on hyperbole.

Reallink

So what exactly is the logic behind disallowing this feature? Why can't they just have games that require it turn it on automatically upon boot and disable the option to turn it off? The same could be done when 2 or more controllers are detected, turn it on automatically and disable the off option. This whole situation just defies all reason and logic. There is no purpose whatsoever for this to be on during single player sessions in games that make either no use or meaningless cosmetic use of the light.

Adan0s

I think it's pretty clear why they don't disable the light completely: You wouldn't know if the controller is on or not. The DS4 has no other status LEDs beside the lightbar.

whyman

Why won't they let us turn it off?! I really can't come up with any reason for this. That light sucks and it messes with my gaming experience. Only thing I hate about the PS4 but it's a big one!

I think it's pretty clear why they don't disable the light completely: You wouldn't know if the controller is on or not. The DS4 has no other status LEDs beside the lightbar.

Pretty much. It's unrealistic to expect them to allow full I/O when there is no other way to detect whether the controller is on, off, or dead.

taoofjord

If they really don't want to give us the option to turn it off then I'd suggest they dim the light the more horizontal the controller is. In other words, it'd get brighter the more you tilt the light toward your face, but when you're playing and the light is facing your television it'll be at its dimmest setting.

U2NUMB

I am telling you guys.. buy those labels you can get off ebay. I put the PS4 logos on my controllers and they work great to block out the light.

StuBurns

Banned
Pretty much. It's unrealistic to expect them to allow full I/O when there is no other way to detect whether the controller is on, off, or dead.
What do you mean?

If the controller is controlling, that's what tells you.
I am telling you guys.. buy those labels you can get off ebay. I put the PS4 logos on my controllers and they work great to block out the light.
Do they come off perfectly? We need the light bars for VR.

Dezzy

I'm happy with dimming. If you turn the light off completely, you can't see if it's on or off, or what player it is. Having more options is always better of course, but this is still very good news.

Top Bottom