• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 lightbar can be turned off in future PS4 firmware! [Update: Nope]

Perfect. That'll keep the functionality while saving battery significantly.

What functionality? The functionality I can't see unless I flip the controller up and stare downwards?

I get why it's there for multiplayer. That's good functionality. But there's no reason for me not to be able to turn it off in single player. Still, dimming is a step.

GeeDuhb

If it's dimmed to the point where it won't reflect, then I'm okay with this but I'm curious why they would not allow it to be turned of fully.

As silly as it sounds, it is probably because it is the only indicator that the controller is powered on/what player it is.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If it's dimmed to the point where it won't reflect, then I'm okay with this but I'm curious why they would not allow it to be turned of fully.

It's baffling. The unofficial PC drivers have had the functionality for months.

LiK

What functionality? The functionality I can't see unless I flip the controller up and stare downwards?

I get why it's there for multiplayer. That's good functionality. But there's no reason for me not to be able to turn it off in single player. Still, dimming is a step.

It's even more useless for cameraless people like me. Such a useless feature.

KoopaTheCasual

Nooooooooo! Arrogant Sony is back! D:
/s
Fl9DgFm.gif
I'm dying.

DBT85

The color coding tells you instantly which controller is which controller number. As much as I'd also prefer my controller to always be pink, in this case, I think logic wins out over customization.

Options menu ->
Controller 1 colour = Pink
Controller 2 colour = Green
Controller 3 colour = Yellow

Yours would always be pink, would always be whatever.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Has it ever been mentioned just how much of a benefit the light being off would make? It can't possibly take up that much juice.
Yeah I keep seeing it said that the LEDs are the reason for the poor battery life but I find it hard to believe this is the case. Is there any actual data on this? Someone willing to test on PC (where you can disable them) would be able to find out.

Skinless

If you have a glossy TV like me then even the smallest amount of light will reflect, I even see the tiny red light reflected from the PS3 controller.

Dimming is better than nothing, but why can't we just... dim it all the way off?

Cheech

Instead let's force every dev to use it?

No kidding. And WHAT GOOD IS A LIGHT THAT IS TURNED AWAY FROM YOU.

That's the thing. I play with a projector and that fucking controller light lights up the whole room. It drives me insane.

I want that thing dead. Dead, dead, dead. Did I mention how much I'm looking forward to spending some seat time on my new Xbone the next few weeks, and not have to pretend that there's a carnival coming through my theater room? When I have up to three DS4s going at once, I feel like I'm at a rave. Fuck that controller. Just god damn.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
what fucking complex programming does it take to turn it off? christ

Obviously they could let you turn it off completely, but they don't want to, because it does serve a bunch of purposes after all (identifying different players' controllers, colored light effects in some games, tracking via the camera, etc).

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
the ability to dim it without turning it off is just a poke in the eye

ffs sony you never learned back to your old 2005 tricks well i wont fall for it this time

how will people know which controller is player 1 and which is player 2? are we going to have to do it the old fashioned way?

i will quote what i said earlier, before everyone gets pissed about not being able to turn the light off someone explain how u will be able to know which controller is player 1 and which is player 2 without the light bar? the light is always going to be there people

I like to leave Netflix on sometimes. Theres no reason why the controller should be lit in that scenario

You can set a timer for the controller to turn off then.

I like to watch Netflix before bed so I have my PS4 turn off after an hour or so, my controller off after 10 minutes and my TV off after about an hour as well.

It works for me.

Radec

i will quote what i said earlier, before everyone gets pissed about not being able to turn the light off someone explain how u will be able to know which controller is player 1 and which is player 2 without the light bar? the light is always going to be there people

Controller Options
->Light Bar
-->On
-->Off
-->Dim

I like to leave Netflix on sometimes. Theres no reason why the controller should be lit in that scenario

If you're just watching Netflix you can just change the settings to turn the controller off after a period of time. That would be a more effective way of conserving battery life.

dcx4610

It doesn't bother me that much but choice is a good thing.

I don't understand how Sony can nail it on so many levels but still be stubborn on other things.

It's just a light. Let us turn it off if we choose to.

IvorB

You can use it to type messages. It's pretty great for that actually.

Metfanant

Would be nice to also include the ability to set custom colors as well...I have 3 DS4s so I can swap controllers if one dies...I'd like to be able to set my controller to always be a certain color

No kidding. And WHAT GOOD IS A LIGHT THAT IS TURNED AWAY FROM YOU.

That's the thing. I play with a projector and that fucking controller light lights up the whole room. It drives me insane.

You just answered your own question.

It's supposed to be ambient light that you see in your peripheral vision, not aimed at your face blinding you or requiring you to look down at it to see what color it is.

Think of it as a form of those ambilight TVs.

iNvid02

this is shu feeding geoff misinformation because he didnt do final hours of killzone shadowfall

HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW KEIGHLEY

KuGsj.gif

Top Bottom