• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 lightbar can be turned off in future PS4 firmware! [Update: Nope]

SimmonsDAMN.gif

If *dim* means enough to make a significant difference to battery life than I'm fine with the option to dim.

It still in theory should. And it should also in theory not make the glare as noticeable. So, again, in theory, everybody still wins with this.

Amneisac

Fucking owned. It's funny how, while I was always sympathetic to the plight of people who were affected by this, it didn't really affect me personally. Then I bought a Panasonic S60 and now THIS MUST BE FIXED IMMEDIATELY (reflective, glossy screen that I kind of hate).

For real though, the fucking battery life on the DS4 is abysmal and it needs to be addressed, I don't know how much this could realistically help, but it's honestly not sufficient especially compared to the power sipping X1 and WiiU Pro controller.

How the fuck to you misinterpret "dim the light" with "turn off the light"? Either way, my guess is it will dim itself to the point where it's only purpose is the color being there.

mollipen

Now let me change the color of the bar goddammit.

I want dat hot pink 24/7.

The color coding tells you instantly which controller is which controller number. As much as I'd also prefer my controller to always be pink, in this case, I think logic wins out over customization.

GhaleonEB

If it's dimmed to the point where it won't reflect, then I'm okay with this but I'm curious why they would not allow it to be turned of fully.

Chuck

Still without luck
what fucking complex programming does it take to turn it off? christ

same with changing your psn name. completely absurd and reeks of incompetence.

I like dimming more than turning it completely off.
You keep the effects of having it on, but also expand battery life.

This is actually better.

G_Berry

Banned
Awesome.

Its funny, I posted somewhere ages ago that we would only get the option to turn off the lightbar AFTER they had sold a shit load of cams.... and I was right!!!

Edit: playroom icon removal will be next.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Dimming is fine. I understand why they wouldn't want you to turn it off completely. But it is a bit too strong in its current state, so this should be good.

Cheech

what fucking complex programming does it take to turn it off? christ

same with changing your psn name. completely absurd and reeks of incompetence.

It took them like 3 years to fix the battery/clock overlay on the PS3. I'm not holding my breath for the "correct" solution here.

The problem is the light is only an LED... I can't see the controller gaining any more than a few extra hours. Maybe 11-12 hours rather than 8. I honestly don't see being that big of a deal, but if you game for more than 8 hours straight I guess its good for you.

Any battery experts in here, how many more hours would a dim LED gives us?

If its only being dimmed now, then maybe a couple hours extra tops. Probably around 10 if the dimming effectively halves the load of the LEDs.

_hekk05

Banned
Lol poor yosp. Just gave an interview, expected some good press, all of a sudden RTs everywhere celebrating turning off the leds. I imagine the entire playstation marketing team going wtf and calling poor yosp

driver116

I don't know why they cant turn it off and have it come on when the camera searches for a player and just keep it on in games which require it.

eliochip

The problem is the light is only an LED... I can't see the controller gaining any more than a few extra hours. Maybe 11-12 hours rather than 8. I honestly don't see being that big of a deal, but if you game for more than 8 hours straight I guess its good for you.

I like to leave Netflix on sometimes. Theres no reason why the controller should be lit in that scenario

Top Bottom