• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 lightbar can be turned off in future PS4 firmware! [Update: Nope]

It wasn't a big deal to me but it is nice that they listened and made the change.

Then again it would be stupid not to make the change . . . it is simple thing to do and just put in an option in the settings menus.

Skinless

What I don't get is, is everyone playing with the controller upside down? I mean, I never really see the lightbar on my DS4, and actually never noticed the color changing or flashing until my girlfriend noticed it while I was playing Sound Shapes.

Unless you are playing in front of a mirror or holding the controller with the lightbar facing up, it shouldn't be an issue other than affecting the battery life.
When I play at night it lights up the room (it's a small room) and reflects on the TV. This update is a big deal to me.

Actually I wouldn't mind if they allowed me to get rid of apps in the video section that I don't own. I only have Netflix, Crunchyroll, Amazon video and in a future HBO Go. I don't care for any of the other shit, and they clog my list.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, this really bothered a lot of people huh? I don't even notice it when i'm into the game, even with the lights out...though if it conserves battery i'd turn it off.

It mainly depends on the type of TV you have (glossy screens reflect the light, matte screens it won't be very noticeable) and how you sit from the TV. i.e. if it's wall mounted it's probably high enough that the light isn't aimed at the screen when the controller is in your lap, if it's on a stand/tv bench like mine, the light is right on the lower part of the screen when on the couch with the controller in my lap.

Kilau

Good news! I like having the option. The light doesn't bother me at all but DS4 battery life isn't good so this should help.

DirtyLarry

This is great news, no doubt, as I know it bothers the hell out of many people, however I have to say that playing Titanfall last night made me realize I am surprised more people do not complain about the white lit up XBox X on the One's controller.

Sure it does not emit as much light as the DS4, but in a way it is actually more annoying since it is on top of the controller. I noticed it a lot as I was in the pitch dark, which I rarely get to play in (which admittedly is probably why the DS4 never bothered me much either) but my wife was out to dinner with some friends so I turned all the lights off, cranked the surround sound to 70, and just zoned out. It was somewhat distracting in that environment.

KumaJG

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley">@geoffkeighley</a> no, I said dim the LED, not turn off</p>&mdash; Shuhei Yoshida (@yosp) <a href="https://twitter.com/yosp/statuses/446715003391856640">March 20, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

w7AlKla.png

:(

j-wood

The light cannot be turned off guys. Only dimmed:

Shuhei Yoshida &#8207;@yosp 2m
@geoffkeighley no, I said dim the LED, not turn off

Shuhei Yoshida &#8207;@yosp 1m
@geoffkeighley can you correct it, your tweet is RTed a lot :(

Certinty

Would be pretty jokes if you could turn it off though, I mean if you had a bunch of controllers you wouldn't know which ones were turned on and if you were playing with others you wouldn't know which controller is which.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
This is great news, no doubt, as I know it bothers the hell out of many people, however I have to say that playing Titanfall last night made me realize I am surprised more people do not complain about the white lit up XBox X on the One's controller.

Sure it does not emit as much light as the DS4, but in a way it is actually more annoying since it is on top of the controller. I noticed it a lot as I was in the pitch dark, which I rarely get to play in (which admittedly is probably why the DS4 never bothered me much either) but my wife was out to dinner with some friends so I turned all the lights off, cranked the surround sound to 70, and just zoned out. It was somewhat distracting in that environment.

For a lot of us the annoyance isn't that it lights up, but that it shines straight out and reflects on the TV screen for those of us with glossy screens and TVs at about couch height on stands across the room. It's the refection that's distracting, not light in the room/controller in general, for me anyway.

R-User!

That's cool!

Now, mind you, I wouldn't mind if there was an option to have the Light Bar turn on when you press the Playstation button, and then another option that auto shuts it off 1-3 minutes after you start playing. Reason for this is to be able to use your controller as a flashlight when you get up to use make a snack/use the bathroom/check on your baby/whatever; the light bar is RATHER bright in a pitch black house when your playing when family is asleep, and the basic ability to find your controller if you get up to do something IS useful if your not inclined to turn on lights during the late hours. Most won't need this feature, but I would. :)

Although the battery life sucks on the DS4, I kind of like the light in some ways. They use it really well in Thief. If you're playing in the dark, if you are visible in the game it turns white and illuminates the room. It's a great indicator and quite immersive. You should still be able to choose whether it's on or off, though.

Qassim

Dim the LED hopefully means effectively off.

On the PC drivers you can just turn the brightness down to 0. Hopefully this is the same.

Top Bottom