• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 lightbar can be turned off in future PS4 firmware! [Update: Nope]

Mahonay

Banned
As much as I never complained about the light bar myself, I'm probably going to turn it off now that I'll have the ability to.

I'm hoping the charge on the controller will last a lot longer with it off. I'm also not crazy about the reflection of the light bar when the screen is black.

NICE! I'm anxious to see how much battery life this wins us.

I'm also looking forward to the game that requires the camera and light bar to do something unique.

Either way, BATTERY LIFE! :D

taoofjord

I really enjoy the inclusion of the light and have found more than a few of its implementations across various games to be fun and charming. That said, there are definitely times when I'd prefer to keep it off so I'm happy we'll be given the option.

My only hope is that the developers continue to play around with using it and don't give up on it entirely.

mreddie

tumblr_ma7xpa7xGK1r8165j.gif

I thought I saw that as well. Maybe im imagining it though.

Looks like that seemed to be the case in inital testing but a further test revealed at least being idle 2 to 3 times more battery life.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=723148

Id imagine in real world testing thats probably 3 to four hours extra life?

Ill sign up for that. The lightbar has never bothered me, but the battery life can be irritating.

I never game more than 3 hours at a time but having to chage the DS4 every second or so session is annoying.

Piccoro

I don't own a PS4 yet, so I have a question for you guys.
Does the dualshock 4 turns the lights on immediately after turning on the console, like the DS3 turns those red lights on top?

Yes, it does. And it's on the entire time it's in use.

Thanks.
I'm trying to understand how is Sony going to do this. If the lights are always on, and the DS4 was designed to have the light always on, then how is it possible to turn it off with a firmware update? Wouldn't it be necessary a hardware modification?
The PS4 sends signals to the DS4 to change colors. Will the "turned off" effect be just an additional transparent color? If so, the battery life time would remain unchanged...

coldfoot

Banned
How will you tell controller 1 from controller 2 without the light bar? The DS4 doesn't have any other leds. Press the touchpad and the speaker will tell you the number?

Malcolm9

It doesn't usually annoy me but playing Thief in a dark room and the thing constantly flashing when you are in the light is aggravating, I was going to invest in some of those light bar customised stickers.

DBT85

How will you tell controller 1 from controller 2 without the light bar? The DS4 doesn't have any other leds. Press the touchpad and the speaker will tell you the number?

I imagine there might be a thing where multiplayer keeps the light on, and games that need the camera.

Thanks.
I'm trying to understand how is Sony going to do this. If the lights are always on, and the DS4 was designed to have the light always on, then how is it possible to turn it off with a firmware update? Wouldn't it be necessary a hardware modification?
The PS4 sends signals to the DS4 to change colors. Will the "turned off" effect be just an additional transparent color? If so, the battery life time would remain unchanged...

A transparent colour you say?

No. Off will be off. Devs can do it right now. They are just adding that option to the setting menu.

Tabasco

The light bar never really bothered me, but it's always nice to have an option to turn it off.

If it saves battery life then I'll be leaving mine off.

todd360

This is better than last guardian news!
the hype level for turning off a light is getting kind of ridiculous.

Sec0nd

I was never bothered by the lightbar. I don't even notice the thing. I will turn it off if I have the option though. Battery life on the DS4 is painfully short

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Good news. I bought some of those decals and they help a ton with glare, which was bad since my TV has a very glossy/reflective screen. Just ordered another set as I put one on a little crooked (some light leaked out the bottom as a result) and tore it trying to get it off to readjust.

I'm skeptical that turning off the light well help much with battery life though. LED lights use very little power.

If it's an hour or less of difference, then I'll probably just leave them on with the decals as they look pretty neat and the color is useful for keeping controller 1 and 2 straight.

I seldom play long enough to kill one any way, and have two so I always have a spare. I bought a charger cradle to that keeps me in the habit of keeping them charged.

I really liked the light bar use in Outlast. When you were in night vision mode it was green and when you were out of battery it flickered until it went black. When you were almost dead it was red

Yup. loved it. and i love it in towerfall. amd i like the sticker customization

but i also want that immense battery life upgrade

AlexIIDX

Wow, this really bothered a lot of people huh? I don't even notice it when i'm into the game, even with the lights out...though if it conserves battery i'd turn it off.

The whole light bar insanity reminded me of the rumble debacle. Sony was so adamant no rumble was a good thing and then begrudgingly put it in

daveo42

Banned
Nice to see that Sony is going to be adding this in the future. Wasn't all that bothered by the light, but the battery life bit is the truly glorious part here.

Sony coming out dropping firmware bombs left and right. They gonna need more stability releases to correct all the shakin' going on.

Skinless

Thanks.
In some games the light will flicker on and off (such as when firing a gun). So the capability of it turning off is there, even if for just a few milliseconds.

Tobor

The whole light bar insanity reminded me of the rumble debacle. Sony was so adamant no rumble was a good thing and then begrudgingly put it in

That's different. The rumble was left out due to a lawsuit and the PR was bad cover. As soon as they could after the lawsuit was settled, they built in the rumble.

Anyway, I'm happy for the people turning it off, I just hope it doesn't dissuade developers from playing with the feature going forward. I really liked the torch in Tomb Raider.

Cheech

Good. Controller battery life increased by a hundred thousand trillion!

You're being conservative.

Seriously, when you combine a controller that doesn't have removable batteries combined with a puny battery life, it's a serious functionality knock against the device.

I'm getting an Xbone on Saturday, and my Eneloops are charged up and ready to go. That is the one thing I seriously missed going directly from 360 -> PS4.

Dizzle24

What I don't get is, is everyone playing with the controller upside down? I mean, I never really see the lightbar on my DS4, and actually never noticed the color changing or flashing until my girlfriend noticed it while I was playing Sound Shapes.

Unless you are playing in front of a mirror or holding the controller with the lightbar facing up, it shouldn't be an issue other than affecting the battery life.

Rootbeer

Banned
Finally... little things like this may seem trivial to the sony bigheads, but it really means everything to core gamers when you show us you listen and care about the features we want (or at least want the option to enable/disable based on a moment's need) -- thank you!

Top Bottom