• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 lightbar can be turned off in future PS4 firmware! [Update: Nope]

Marc

Holy crap, Sony listened, we can finally turn off... wait... dim? The hell?!?!

Will see how dim it gets I guess, I have the camera and my daughter uses the play room all the time... probably gets more use out of the PS4 than me right now. So I am not against its use but if I am not gaming then I would want to disable the light as it is completely redundant outside of that purpose.

Still, it is a start I guess. Thanks Sony

Melchiah

Dimming sounds pretty reasonable. I like the lightbar, but it is way too bright.

The option to dim the light is good for those who have a problem with it, but I still don't see what's the issue with it. I never notice it myself while I'm playing a game, and I usually play in the dark. Of course it's different, if I watch someone else play.

Amir0x

Banned
Dim is OK i guess, even though I just tape my light off. Really should just add a shut off button though for christ's sake.

Assuming the dimmed LB will use less juice so will improve the disappointing DS4 battery life...so this is good. Still, simply being able to turn it off would be the logical thing. Why require it remain on at all?

jediyoshi

Assuming the dimmed LB will use less juice so will improve the disappointing DS4 battery life...so this is good. Still, simply being able to turn it off would be the logical thing. Why require it remain on at all?

Are there any other indicators on the controller of it being on or not?

Eusis

If there was my stance would be entirely different, I'd just think there should be an option and that the game would be able to override that if 1. a camera is attached, and 2. the game seriously needs it. But since the PS button doesn't light up or anything it's the only indication that it's actually on. But it's kind of an easy controller to nitpick, I'd have preferred keeping my select button with share stuck somewhere convenient to reach, half because of a neurotic obsession with keeping things the same, half because it's in exactly the same position relative to the rest of the controller as every other select/back button ever. Same shape as Options(/"Start"), on the opposite side from it, and it even defaults to that button when plugged into a PC.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp · 3h
@geoffkeighley can you correct it, your tweet is RTed a lot :(

I'm pretty sure that tells you it's not Keighley that has something to correct, it's Sony.

meanspartan

Oh wtf is their problem? Shu presumably saw the response on here and elsewhere about turning off the light entirely, why can't they just roll with it? If they can't make it in time for the next firmware upgrade that's cool, just announce it is coming in the next one.

Just add a slider the same way there is for the controller speaker volume- let me turn the light up in brightness, down, or all the way off. It can even still have the blinking when you turn it on, maybe even blink every 15 seconds for a quick second (as long as it's dim) so you know it's still on if it's on the shelf or something. And I am totally cool with the orange light while charging that turns off when it's done, the only instance where I find it useful.

Would be funny if Geoff misquoted on purpose to get the point across :p
ifvaC9goELZTh.gif

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The ultimate sacrifice

Geoff is the hero GAF deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll flame him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent show host. A watchful journalist. A Doritos Knight.

FyreWulff

I don't think being able to turn it OFF completely is actually a good idea. It's really the only indicator you have of player 1, player 2, or whether the controller is even on.

I'm sure you'll be able to dim it quite a bit, but Sony will probably never allow it to be completely turned off.

The Lips mics handled this intelligently, the LEDs on them pulsed dimly once in a while to tell you they were still on.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I dont understand why you guys would want to turn it off. I find it ingenious how the controller flashes during gameplay and it actually immerses me into the experience.

The DS4 went from being one of the greatest controllers ever designed at launch to being the number one annoyance in the lives of many gamers in the span of like 5 months.

FroJay

Banned
Why do they have such a stiffy for the light? Let us turn the damn thing off so we can increase the battery life. This wouldn't be as much of an issue had they provided a better battery, had a PS4 remote control available at launch, or given us the option to turn it off to begin with. Come on Sony.....

Deadstar

I dont understand why you guys would want to turn it off. I find it ingenious how the controller flashes during gameplay and it actually immerses me into the experience.

How do you see it? It is aimed down at a 45 degree angle if you hold the controller flat. I don't see how it gives the player any information unless you hold the controller so that the top is aimed at the ceiling instead of at the tv.

Rubius

It's really annoying and distracting. I don't need or or off status. It shuts off after 10 mins of no use. I don't know why they are so hesitant to shut it off.

Probably a way to remind people that the camera exist and to buy it to get all the cool stuff.

FyreWulff

Clearly it's a messaging issue. They just wanted to tell people all the benefits of having the light on. It's not like they can just flip a switch to turn the light off.

Sweet, we needed this. I don't have a longer charging cable so always have to re situate myself to be right in front of the TV when it's dying/dead and needs a charge.

How do you see it? It is aimed down at a 45 degree angle if you hold the controller flat. I don't see how it gives the player any information unless you hold the controller so that the top is aimed at the ceiling instead of at the tv.

So I'm confused, half the people in here think you can't even see it. The other half think it's so bright that it's distracting. People in BOTH camps are complaining about it.,,?

For the record, When I sit down, I can see the light on my lap without taking my eyes off the tv. It's an ambient light. That's the entire point, so that you can see the light without having to look down at the controller. Obviously, doesn't do anything in a bright room, but many people game in the dark. It actually adds quite nicely to some games.

CLEEK

Dimming should be fine for most situations. I sit face on to a Panasonic plasma, which reflects like a bitch.

Before I bought some decals from eBay, the lightbar was a constant source of light pollution. Moderately dark scenes would always have a bright glowing spot at the bottom of the screen. But when games dimmed the light bar, the reflection stopped being noticeable. The light didn't have to be completely off for it to stop reflecting.

TEH-CJ

Banned

I play in a dark room. Playing Warframe is amazing during the night as I am geting shot at by plasma guns, my whole room lights up. Its just the small touches like this that immerse you into the experience. I actually think this is revolutionary.

I fear I may be in the minority...

Beefy

How long do your controllers last then? I brought the double recharge station and one charge will last me way more then I actually play in a day.

Caayn

I'm pretty sure that tells you it's not Keighley that has something to correct, it's Sony.
It sure does.
Would be funny if Geoff misquoted on purpose to get the point across :p
Would be amazing if he did.
I play in a dark room. Playing Warframe is amazing during the night as I am geting shot at by plasma guns, my whole room lights up. Its just the small touches like this that immerse you into the experience. I actually think this is revolutionary.

I fear I may be in the minority...
Agree the glare I get on my TV is just amazing, thank you Sony for enlightening me how fantastic screen reflections are. All while you make sure that I never forget to charge my controller daily /s

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The light is awesome. Make it brighter. I want to be able to stun people with it, or point it at passing cars outside and cause accidents.

A strobe toggle would be cool, too.

Top Bottom