• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Camera sold 900k units to date

Loudninja

The PlayStation Camera for the PlayStation 4 is currently "severely supply constrained," Sony's Chris Norden said today during a presentation at the Game Developers Conference.

Norden, a senior staff developer support engineer at Sony, said the company underestimated demand for the peripheral. He also revealed that the camera has an attach rate of around 15 percent--that's about 900,000 units. The PS4 has sold 6 million units.

The PlayStation Camera is proving hard to find, as it's sold out as numerous retailers. Norden said "please be patient," as Sony works to replenish supply, though it's not clear when more units will be available.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-camera-severely-supply-constrained/1100-6418411/

KalBalboa

Banned
That's a pretty high attach rate for an accessory, not to mention a camera.

Supply constraints probably hit it hard.

dc89

I'm unsure wether I actually want one or not. For me it's one of those things which would be nice to have but not a necessity. Maybe I will get one when I feel a little flusher :p

what the hell are people using it for, though? I let my nephew play with the robots for a while and thats the most use it saw, that one hour.

That seems like A LOT. I would not have guessed it was that popular. Especially given how few seemed to actually be on the market.

Thing was supply constrained so bad that my boss had to pay $140 off eBay to get one for his son on Christmas. It's all because of the streaming, not that playroom crap.

cakely

That seems ... really high.

Then again, I've never seen one in the wild, so someone must be buying them all.

give the people the option and show off the amazing streaming. i'm surprise it's selling. but i guess with the ps eye there weren't anything really worth buying it for TBH.

SZips

I'm unsure wether I actually want one or not. For me it's one of those things which would be nice to have but not a necessity. Maybe I will get one when I feel a little flusher :p

I'm in the same boat. I'm keeping it in mind for the Sony VR headset if it works well in conjunction with the camera and DS4 light bar.

Other than that, I don't see a need for one right now. I'd like to try the PlayRoom stuff but I'm not going to buy an accessory just for that and I don't ever stream with a camera so that'd be a waste.

VanWinkle

Wow! That's surprisingly great, especially considering it's really hard to find those things, and there's not a single game that makes any substantial use of it (or maybe even any use at all).

hawk2025

Thing was supply constrained so bad that my boss had to pay $140 off eBay to get one for his son on Christmas. It's all because of the streaming, not that playroom crap.

That "playroom crap" resulted in one of the most consumer-friendly public presentations of AR tech I've ever seen (on Jimmy Fallon) and currently represents, in my opinion, the best implementation of any motion/AR based software ever released to the public.

It's simple, it's short, but it's very impressive and keeps getting constantly updated with new features. It's hard to distinguish between the streaming and the Playroom demand, but I would absolutely not call it "crap".

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Eventhough the attach rate is rather high, the fact that a ton of people don't happen should tell you that camera gimmicks are of little interest to actual gamers.

rothbart

For a peripheral with almost no use? Yep.

That's what I keep coming back to. I could've bought one and I know they're scarce now, but if I bought one... THEN what? I don't want to stream Playroom...

Frankly I would've been upset if Sony packed it into the box and jacked the price up for the _no_ use I would get out of over the last few months.

Amazing how if you give a peripheral a valid use like streaming, people will want it. Meanwhile MS is forcing every Bone owner to have a Kinect while providing absolutely no uses for it at launch.

EGM1966

I wonder how many of them were sold because of Twitch/Ustream.

Probably a fair few. I got one because my kids were desperate to try Playroom so that probably helps too.

As an aside navigation with the camera/voice works pretty well - I had no idea that was even there when I got it.

Funnily enough in order of difficulty the hardest things to get where:

• official vertical stand for PS4 - took forever to find one
  • camera - almost as bad as the vertical stand
  • PS4 - actually easier than the above two oddly enough

Seems Sony underestimated both demand for camera and number of people who'd go for vertical orientation.

PJV3

That "playroom crap" resulted in one of the most consumer-friendly public presentations of AR tech I've ever seen (on Jimmy Fallon) and currently represents, in my opinion, the best implementation of any motion/AR based software ever released to the public.

It's simple, it's short, but it's very impressive and keeps getting constantly updated with new features. It's hard to distinguish between the streaming and the Playroom demand, but I would absolutely not call it "crap".

I want Sony to expand Playroom, get indie devs involved if possible to produce a suite of mini games.

Top Bottom