• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 Light Bars - turn them off, please

Rafterman

Banned
I see a VERY SMALL dot on his shoulder... It doesn't bother me. You must have OCD, I guess.

That would bug the hell out of me as well. Fortunately for me, I don't hold a DS4 in my hands while watching football, so I never see this issue. Even further when I'm playing games the lightbar doesn't actually point straight ahead anyway, so even with a glossy plasma it doesn't reflect on my screen.

By all means Sony should enable a way to turn the bar off, but I see a whole lot of their way to make this seem like a bigger problem than it is.

Steel

Banned
I electrical taped my light and it doesn't bother me anymore, but seriously, depending on where I sit I could see that reflection in my screen. It's not a rage inducing thing, more a nuisance that never quite goes away and you just keep trying to ignore it only to see it again a few minutes later. It's also like a flashlight in a dark room with glossy walls where you see the color of it on all the walls. For the people saying "Oh no big deal it's just a small dot" I have to say, it's not the end of the world by any means, but there is absolutely no reason that light has to be on all the time.

Edit:

That would bug the hell out of me as well. Fortunately for me, I don't hold a DS4 in my hands while watching football, so I never see this issue. Even further when I'm playing games the lightbar doesn't actually point straight ahead anyway, so even with a glossy plasma it doesn't reflect on my screen.

By all means Sony should enable a way to turn the bar off, but I see a whole lot of their way to make this seem like a bigger problem than it is.

This is a forum where people are discussing the DS4's light. Of course people who have trouble with the issue are going to talk about it in detail.

xn0

If you mount your TV, you can't see the dual shock light reflecting in your TV. Here's a sample perfect spacing:

I am having a TV riser delivered tomorrow for my TV, I hope its high enough for me not to notice the light, because right now the middle of the screen is right at eye level.

Cheech

The battery life on these controllers is asshole and needs to be fixed. The lights will need to dim, go out, or a bigger battery needs to be provided. Please Sony!

Steel

Banned
33.. I just think it's silly if you care that much about a dot that looks like a sniper laser dot.

How much are you saying that people care about it, I mean really? Do you see people saying: "This makes the PS4 suck, I'm going go return it over this little tiny light!"? No. We're just discussing an issue, and the fact that the ability to turn it off would have no detrimental effect on gameplay, or anything at all if you don't have a camera. We're not suggesting they remove the light from future controllers or anything silly like that.

Zalman

The battery life on these controllers is asshole and needs to be fixed. The lights will need to dim, go out, or a bigger battery needs to be provided. Please Sony!
Yup, especially when you consider that Nintendo is able to put 80 hours into their Pro Controller. I don't mind the light bar, but I would rather have it switched off if I got more battery life out of it.

Steel

Banned
Yup, especially when you consider that Nintendo is able to put 80 hours into their Pro Controller. I don't mind the light bar, but I would rather have it switched off if I got more battery life out of it.

I doubt the LED's drain much. I'd think the main power draw are the other features like the touch-pad, and speakers, and the mic audio out. But who knows, XN0's test should prove interesting.

Steel

Banned
Well not only does it solve this issue, but it's the better way of viewing and it looks much better than a non-mounted TV.

Thanks for the opinion, but I like being able to move my 43" TV to a new room every month or so, thanks.

xn0

Well not only does it solve this issue, but it's the better way of viewing and it looks much better than a non-mounted TV.

Just for the sake of argument LCD TV's should be viewed with the middle of the screen at eye level. Having a LCD screen higher than eye level in general will cause picture distortion, so in my case I cannot move the screen up too much higher.

dezzy8

I barely notice the light and I play about 5 feet away from my screen. I didn't even know that it changed colors until my brother noticed it turn red when I died in killzone. I do think it's a pointless feature and probably lowers the battery life of the controller.

Tabris

Thanks for the opinion, but I like being able to move my 43" TV to a new room every month or so thanks.

I don't get this. Don't you have your TV in a living room?

If you live with your parents or your wife won't let you have your gaming TV in the living room, then never mind. If latter, need to convince your wife to give you a man cave :)

If you mount your TV, you can't see the dual shock light reflecting in your TV. Here's a sample perfect spacing:

If you mount your TV at an angle that you can't see the reflection, then you are mounting it too high. Screens are always supposed to be at eye level to reduce stress on your eyes. On a sort of related note-- once I tried playing CoD with some friends on a TV mounted way too high (much higher than the one in that pic) and all of us were complaining of our eyes feeling strained after a match or two.

Steel

Banned
I don't get this. Don't you have your TV in a living room?

If you live with your parents or your wife won't let you have your gaming TV in the living room, then never mind. If latter, need to convince your wife to give you a man cave :)

Nah, got my man cave. I just like the change in scenery occasionally. Move it to the study, or the living room every once in awhile. Don't keep an extra T.V in either one.

Edit:

Gee, I didn't know Xbone had a light bar.

Where the hell does the Xbox one factor into this man?

Tabris

Nah, got my man cave. I just like the change in scenery occasionally. Move it to the study, or the living room every once in awhile. Don't keep an extra T.V in either one.

Well then you just lift it off the mount, then you can put it back when you're done.

Steel

Banned
Well then you just lift it off the mount, then you can put it back when you're done.

I don't think you get the point. I shouldn't have to change the way I like to have things set up because of a light on a controller. It's not worth it when I just electrical taped it anyway.

PBY

Banned
You brought up system wars.

My response was sarcastic since Xbone does not have any light bars.
Yeah but you totally missed my point. Why are you defending this so much, when admittedly its a minor annoyance but a fix would presumably be easy and appreciated?

Elvick

Banned
I wouldn't mind the option to turn it off. I like the lightbar.

When it's not used though, it'd be nice to be able to save the battery by disabling it.

Gxgear

We'll look back on this 6 months later, when Sony's patched it out, and just laugh and laugh at what transpired here.

Tabris

Lol at this thread turning into a Mount vs non mount for TVs

Asking someone to mount their tv to fix this problem is ridiculous

I didn't actually ask anyone to do anything. I said you won't have this problem if the TV is mounted this way. Then said how much better tv mounting looks in general. Of course it's ridiculous asking someone to mount just to fix the minor nuisance. Not ridiculous to recommend they mount the tv because it looks better though!

Steel

Banned
I didn't actually ask anyone to do anything. I said you won't have this problem if the TV is mounted this way. Then said how much better tv mounting looks in general. Of course it's ridiculous asking someone to mount just to fix the minor nuisance.

Sorry if I interpreted it that way then, you just seemed to be running with the issue.

As for how much better TV mounting looks, my TV is already pretty much in the middle of my wall with its stand anyway, so it really wouldn't change the positioning at all.

Apath

The light on the back of the controller is stupid as hell and obnoxiously bright. I'm sure it's great if you have the camera and get actual utility out of it, but I don't need a blue flashlight on the back of the controller.

And why can't I turn off my DualShock 4 when I watch Netflix without pausing the video?

Madness

The light doesn't reflect in my screen either (only the border). But jesus what a pointless, gimmicky, wasteful "feature" on an otherwise great controller.

I saw it slightly in my friends television. Very noticeable if lights are off, especially in the bezel. I'm in agreement it's a completely useless feature for the controller. I wonder how much it affects battery life too.

Top Bottom