• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 Light Bars - turn them off, please

Tagyhag

They should just have the option, I understand putting the light bar there in the first place but does it really hurt being able to turn it off?

And I don't understand why people are so opposed to having options, Sony can make mistakes, they have done so before. This is one that they can fix.

scsa

The light built in into every controller is a prime indication that the camera was initially planned to be bundled with the PS4 and was cut out at the last moment to get a price advantage.

I think the light is cool but if it's having a significant battery drain then it needs to be optional.

Yeah but you totally missed my point. Why are you defending this so much, when admittedly its a minor annoyance but a fix would presumably be easy and appreciated?

Not really. Sony has the right to say too bad.

To be fair, my Wii U Pro Controller glows blue enough to light up a small area of the room but I dont go to Nintendo asking them to disable that one Tiny LED on the controller.

The light on the back of the controller is stupid as hell and obnoxiously bright. I'm sure it's great if you have the camera and get actual utility out of it, but I don't need a blue flashlight on the back of the controller.

And why can't I turn off my DualShock 4 when I watch Netflix without pausing the video?

Protip: go to adjust device or power save setttings.

Tabris

The reason why they can't turn off the light bar is because they made the decision of combining the led indicator on controller turned on/controller slot (1,2,3,4)/controller charging. So you can be mad they made a bad design decision but it's not a simple thing they can change through software.

Steel

Banned

Protip: Don't go in a thread and complain about people having opinions about the thread's topic.

Edit:

The reason why they can't turn off the light bar is because they made the decision of combining the led indicator on controller turned on/controller slot (1,2,3,4)/controller charging. So you can be mad they made a bad design decision but it's not a simple thing they can change through software.

Games can already control the brightness and make it flash on and off(ala sound shapes).

Right and maybe just like the stupid SIXAXIS controller, they'll release a second revision of the controller with all the fixes that people want.

Apath

I'm not sure what adjust device is supposed to do, but thank you for pointing out the power save settings. It's still not ideal but at least my controller isn't on for hours now.

Is there a way I can completely shut it off at will without pausing the video?

Protip: Don't go in a thread and complain about people having opinions about the thread's topic.

Protip: It's not complaining if the auto-off feature IS there in the Settings menu. You're arguing against what is a well-known fact. It's even right there in the PS4 setup document on their website.

I dont think he was complaining but rather giving you advice to solve your problem...just saying

Bingo.

Dead Man

Not really. Sony has the right to say too bad.

To be fair, my Wii U Pro Controller glows blue enough to light up a small area of the room but I dont go to Nintendo asking them to disable that one Tiny LED on the controller.

What not really? It wouldn't be appreciated, or the inability to turn it off is not a mistake. Of course Sony can say fuck off, and I will take that information into consideration when making future purchasing decisions. Your posts reek of 'doesn't bother me, therefore shut up'. It's not a good look.

Devs can disable the light bar, so that seems a bit off.

Steel

Banned
Protip: It's not complaining if the auto-off feature IS there in the Settings menu. You're arguing against what is a well-known fact. It's even right there in the PS4 setup document on their website.

Wasn't talking about the auto-off feature, more about previous comments. But whatever.

xn0

Not necessarily true. PS4 games have the ability to make the controller flash or change the color. If it can flash (speaking from a programming standpoint) it is probably LED(on/off) vs some API that is telling the LED to flash(); for a given time. If games can turn the light on and off and change the color then the PS4 OS probably can as well.

Ridill

I don't see them ever introducing this feature as it will remove the identifier for each player, when multiple parties are present.

Personally, I have had zero issues with this...I get too immersed into the games I guess?

i love the light bar, just played 3 hours of need for speed, the red light bar looks evil hehehe. tv is a mounted 60, no problem with it whatsoever, to each of their own.

I dont think he was complaining but rather giving you advice to solve your problem...just saying

What not really? It wouldn't be appreciated, or the inability to turn it off is not a mistake. Of course Sony can say fuck off, and I will take that information into consideration when making future purchasing decisions. Your posts reek of 'doesn't bother me, therefore shut up'. It's not a good look.

And they wouldnt care if you boycotted Sony games. In the end, they already got your $400.

And complaining about my posts isn't a good look for you either. In fact, you look silly. Not to mention that you'd be no better than these dumbasses who stream boobs, guns, drugs on Twitch/Ustream for the PS4.

I'm pretty sure devs have the ability to disable the light. Sure it would be ideal if Sony were to add the option, but it wouldn't hurt devs to do the same.

Apath

Bingo.
Does this mean there is not a way to shut off the controller whenever I want when watching Netflix like on the PS3?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
There should absolutely be an option to disable it. I don't see why anyone would be opposed to more choice.

Dead Man

And they wouldnt care if you boycotted Sony games. In the end, they already got your $400.

And complaining about my posts isn't a good look for you either. In fact, you look silly. Not to mention that you'd no better than these dumbasses who stream boobs, guns, drugs on Twitch/Ustream for the PS4.

They don't have any money from me for a PS4 yet. Assume away though, it makes you look really awesome.

As for your last paragraph... what? You are smoking some good shit.

Steel

Banned

And complaining about my posts isn't a good look for you either. In fact, you look silly. Not to mention that you'd be no better than these dumbasses who stream boobs, guns, drugs on Twitch/Ustream for the PS4.

Ok. That's an interesting comparison.

edit:

Does this mean there is not a way to shut off the controller whenever I want when watching Netflix like on the PS3?

No what he's referring to is make it so your controller auto-shuts off after 5 minutes or so of not being used depending on the setting.

Easy. Do what I do when I want to watch a Blu-Ray... set the auto-off feature on for like 10-30 minutes then the controller will turn off on its own.

They don't have any money from me for a PS4 yet. Assume away though, it makes you look really awesome.

As for your last paragraph... what? You are smoking some good shit.

I dont assume because you basically admitted you own a DS4 with your first post in this thread.

Naw, I just agree that boobs and drugs has no place in a gaming related streaming app.

Apath

Easy. Do what I do when I want to watch a Blu-Ray... set the auto-off feature on for like 10-30 minutes then the controller will turn off on its own.
Uh yes, but there isn't a way to shut it off at will whenever I want like on PS3? It's a little obnoxious that going to the device menu pauses the video. It doesn't on PS3, and I can't see a good reason for why they changed it.

Steel

Banned
Uh yes, but there isn't a way to shut it off at will whenever I want like on PS3? It's a little obnoxious that going to the device menu pauses the video. It doesn't on PS3, and I can't see a good reason for why they changed it.

There is no way to turn it off any other way, unfortunately. I hope they look into making that better. There is a way to make a remote control work if your tv is compatible, though.

Hubble

They look cool though.

But yeah, it should be optional and it would be cool if disabling the light bar would prolong the battery.

Shinjiru

I don't mind the light bar at all. In fact, I like the way it is used in Killzone and Sound Shapes. However, having an option to turn it off sounds like a good idea. Especially if it will give the controller a little bit more battery life.

i think the ps4 should play xbox one games

And they think it should play the following:

PS1 games
PS2
PS3
GC
Wii
Xbox OG
Xbox 360
Dreamcast

and let's not forget, people think it should come with a cartridge slot that plays the following!:

NES
SNES
N64
Atari
Gameboy
Sega Master Syatem
Sega Genesis
Sega Saturn
Sega CD

But guess what? We will never get all that stuff. Just be happy Sony didn't make a Virtual Boy clone with 3D 1080p graphics! I have literally never seen this much bitching over one SMALL feature on a console. Goddamn.

Dead Man

I dont assume because you basically admitted you own a DS4 with your first post in this thread.

Naw, I just agree that boobs and drugs has no place in a gaming related streaming app.

What in the fuck are you on? This is my first post in this thread:

And an option to turn them off would hurt that coolness how?

And what in the fuck does boobs and drugs have to do with this conversation?

You are making me laugh though, so there is that. Keep on keeping on.

coreyerb

Banned
Yup, especially when you consider that Nintendo is able to put 80 hours into their Pro Controller. I don't mind the light bar, but I would rather have it switched off if I got more battery life out of it.
True but the Wii U similarly lacks the option to turn the Gamepad fully off - so even if you're using that 80-hour Pro Controller, your Gamepad either is dead or dying. I was just as frustrated about that as OP at launch when I found out there's no option to conserve battery.

Yes, that's annoying... you'll have to tweet Yosp about it..But I have a social life and life is too short to have a heart attack over one annoying screen.

I play in complete darkness at nights and the first night I noticed the ambient light all around me but I got over it quickly. When I'm playing a game in focused on the game and I don't really notice much else. With that said I don't understand why an option to turn it off is not provided.

What in the fuck are you on? This is my first post in this thread:

And what in the fuck does boobs and drugs have to do with this conversation?

You are making me laugh though, so there is that. Keep on keeping on.

Thanks for confirming you don't understand. But thanks for the laughs. I just hope that I get to see you stream on the PS4 so I can laugh at you without saying anything :)

Steel

Banned
Gee, I wouldn't know since so many people are bitching about one screen and the light bar.

This is a thread about THE LIGHT BAR. Of course people are going to talk about their experience/complaints about THE LIGHT BAR. What do you expect people to talk about? The Order 1886?

This is a thread about THE LIGHT BAR. Of course people are going to talk about their experience/complaints about THE LIGHT BAR. What do you expect people to talk about? The Order 1886?

Jesus... Sarcasm went over your head. All this bitching all because they think its something devs can disable... goddamn and people wonder why Nintendo doesnt want to cater to hardcore gamers. It's so bad that they have to literally hold our hands in most games and systems.

Steel

Banned
Jesus... Sarcasm went over your head. All this bitching all because they think its something devs can disable... goddamn and people wonder why Nintendo doesnt want to cater to hardcore gamers. It's so bad that they have to literally hold our hands in most games and systems.

No, I understood you perfectly. It just doesn't seem like you have a grasp of what other people are saying to you. But that's fine, not really my problem.

Personally, I'd appreciate it if Sony provided an update to disabled the light, or at least allowed you to significantly dim it, but it's not impacting my experience at all.

The most important thing to me would be a theoretical increase in battery life if the light could be deactivated or dimmed.

I'm sorry that I am questioning your baby. I appreciate the help with the power-save settings but you being so hostile over this is ridiculous.

I dont feel any hostilty... I just cant stand it when people think they cant turn off their controllers..

I bet Sony gets complaints on their hotline all the time and the response would be this:

"Sir/Ma'am, go to power save and select the amount of time you want it to turn off on its own"

Every. Single. Time.

You cant change what is ALREADY PART OF THE HARDWARE.

Goddamn. This is the new Lightgate. And like the last Lightgate, it will go away because people will realize that they made a big deal out of NOTHING.

xn0

Does anyone on here have access to SCE Devnet? I would love to see DS4 controller integration documentation around the LED control. Like I said before if game devs can make the controller flash (turning the LED off/on) and change color then turning it off is most likely an option.

Top Bottom