• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 lightbar can't be turned off

scoobs

This is the straw that broke the camels back for me. No way I'm buying this trash console now... Come on guys and gals, this is a silly thread

Demon Ice

Banned
The people saying "some people will find anything to complain about, "slow news day," etc, are either blind or corporate apologists. This is something that is blatantly visible in the pics and video. There is a giant blue blob in the middle of the screen. While they're holding the controller casually. Even as the rest of the room is well-lit (which means it'd be even worse in the dark). This is a giant blue blob that is hard to ignore. Unless people are saying they don't care about graphics, they should be asking Sony to reconsider and at least put an option for turning off the light. We're spending $400 on this thing, we may be as well be able to see the entirety of the screen's output.

Seriously, are people OK seeing the blue blob in the middle of their screen?

I'm curious how could you enjoy the game if there was a glowing blue mass of light in the middle of the image. What if it's obstructing HUD? What if it's hovering right over a character's face in cutscene, like some Vaseline smear, making them look like a member of the Blue Man Group? I'm curious, does it make the game more cinematic for you? Does the mass of blue light add atmosphere or a nice Bladerunner touch?

Yes, I'm being snarky, but it's employed in good fun to say there's no benefit to a mass of blue light on the screen. Sony should let us toggle it off.

Hostility is cool.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I'm curious how could you enjoy the game if there was a glowing blue mass of light in the middle of the image. What if it's obstructing HUD? What if it's hovering right over a character's face in cutscene, like some Vaseline smear, making them look like a member of the Blue Man Group? I'm curious, does it make the game more cinematic for you? Does the mass of blue light add atmosphere or a nice Bladerunner touch?

Yes, I'm being snarky, but it's employed in good fun to say there's no benefit to a mass of blue light on the screen. Sony should let us toggle it off.

I completely agree that it should be an option, and that it could impact gameplay. I had no issue with people making a valid case. I only have issue with the labels in the post.

I'll just tape over the light. That works for me.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I may lower my TV or place my recliner on concrete blocks like an old Camaro just to be able to see the LED reflect on my screen. The top of my TV is 2 meters off of the floor. I don't want to be left out. I'm paying for that light. I want to see it!

Neiteio

Since some people seem to have trouble understanding why a mass of blue light reflected on the screen may be distracting, I have created this image taking a screenshot from my current GOTY, The Last of Us, and modifying it with the reflection intact:

2DCWfu9.jpg

Since some people seem to have trouble understanding why a mass of blue light reflected on the screen may be distracting, I have created this image taking a screenshot from my current GOTY, The Last of Us, and modifying it with the reflection intact:

2DCWfu9.jpg
Sorry, but that's just a tad overdone...
And the fact you're going to these lengths to prove a point is just odd...

VanWinkle

2DCWfu9.jpg

So what you're saying is it's the brightest light on earth.

RedAssedApe

Banned
haha this thread reminds me of how i electrical taped the front of my cable modem cuz the flashing blue leds on my cable modem (sb6141) were freaking annoying me. lol

ReBurn

Gold Member

2DCWfu9.jpg

Please use a PS4 game so that we can get the real effect.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Still sucks. Let's stop making excuses for Sony and ask them to change this shit while it's still a half-year out.

Too late for that, it's built into the controller hardware. they're too deep into manufacturing by this point

jayu26

Hmm, OK, you might be right. Let's look at the real-life example:

UuCexBB.png

And let's adjust the TLoU image:

D5CKOlG.jpg

Still sucks. Let's stop making excuses for Sony and ask them to change this shit while it's still a half-year out.

For crying out laud. Put a fuck'en tape on it...like literally.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Hmm, OK, you might be right. Let's look at the real-life example:

It's too early for them to start removing features. We all need to buy it first, then they will start taking stuff away.

Neiteio

But seriously, this is not a problem on the move controller, why is it a problem now?
I didn't use the Move. I stuck with my DS3. The DS3 has tiny inconspicuous redlights on top. This new controller has a massive-ass blue bar that, as we see in the VERY REAL screencaps and videos, causes an annoying glare in the middle of the screen even when all the lights are on in the room.

To paraphrase Jean Claude Van Damme in the Street Fighter film, this is not the time to lose our balls. We corrected Microsoft's course, let's try to move Sony to fix its one annoying design error. I don't want to play these games with glare on my screen, obstructing my view, and I'd rather not have to duct-tape my controller to fix this.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
But seriously, this is not a problem on the move controller, why is it a problem now?
It is a problem with Move. At least the DS4 can be taped and still function, unlike the Move. It's not a huge deal since you can tape it but people are just kind of disappointed that we'll have to make our controllers look busted on day 1.

VanWinkle

It's what I'll do, but excuse me for being a bit miffed I have to put duct tape on my brand new $400 purchase!

Look at that controller. Who is going to hold their controller at that angle when playing in a relaxed position. It will most likely be angled down and won't even get caught in the reflection.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Are you really comparing the dim dark reflection of the two men to the massive blob of bright blue light in the middle of the screen? There's a marked difference. The blue blob is like when the light is on in my living room, but worse. I turn off the living room light for a reason and would like to be able to do the same with the PS4 controller's light.

The product is not out yet and we should call it out for what it is -- a poor design choice and problem -- and do so in the hopes they'll fix it. We don't have to approve of every design choice Sony makes. They listened to our objections to Xbone's anti-consumer policies and decided not to include them. Maybe they'll listen to us again and fix the controller.

No. I wasn't comparing the two at all actually, but nice try. I was pointing out that if you can see the 2 guys reflect on the screen, it's no wonder that you can see the light as well. The fact that you can see the two guys, whom emit no light whatsoever, so clearly, means that this is a room lighting issue. You shouldn't be able to see yourself reflect on the TV while it is on. That's bad lighting. The DS4 light being more noticeable than objects that don't emit as much light is a mute issue by that point. That lighting practically turns the TV screen into a God damn mirror.

If I couldn't so clearly see other objects being reflected on the screen and the only thing I could see was the light being reflected then I would be inclined to agree with you but as it stands that video is very poor evidence of a "poor design choice and a problem".

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Oooooor we can ask Sony to fix their product.

I hope they do something to allow it to be off. I dont know what they need to do to make it possible, assuming that it is possible to be fixed. For now, it's there. I'll tape it. At my age, it takes a lot to really get to me. If tape is a temporary fix, it's not that big of a deal. That's just how I roll, and is just my opinion. Everyone else is entitled to theirs.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

The move was an optional add-on peripheral, not ingrained in the base controller.

Look at that controller. Who is going to hold their controller at that angle when playing in a relaxed position. It will most likely be angled down and won't even get caught in the reflection.

Everyone's different. I can already see the PS3 controller on my TV, though it's just a small red dot there. Just the way I hold the controller relative to where my setup is.

Neiteio

No. I wasn't comparing the two at all actually, but nice try. I was pointing out that if you can see the 2 guys reflect on the screen, it's no wonder that you can see the light as well. The fact that you can see the two guys, whom emit no light whatsoever so clearly, means that this is a room lighting issue. You shouldn't be able to see yourself reflect on the TV while it is on. That's bad lighting. The DS4 light being more noticeable than objects that don't emit as much light is a mute issue by that point. That lighting practically turns the TV screen into a God damn mirror.

If I couldn't so clearly see other objects being reflected on the screen and the only thing I could see was the light being reflected then I would be inclined to agree with you but as it stands that video is very poor evidence of a "poor design choice and a problem".
You just proved my point. You can see them because there are lights on in the room. The fact you can -still- see the light from the controller despite the other lights that should be blotting it out means it will be even WORSE when the lights are dimmed or turned out in the room and you can no longer see the guys' reflection, just the glare from the controller that will be even brighter in the dark with no other light to diffuse it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why do people keep saying this? There are a lot of variables that will determine if this is an issue for you or not. Seating, reflectiveness of your screen, posture, and lighting are all a big part of it. Your set up isn't the same as everyone else's.

Odrion

Banned
Yeah, only 15 million Move controllers have been sold as of 8 months ago.
*Spits water* Wait,

WHAT?

Fine, the gaming demographic that uses the neogaf forums do not care or use move controllers. Considering that little software has been developed for the move controller since 2011, I can't imagine who this audience is.

Neiteio

Sony. I need you to patch this. I can't be bothered to spend the money on 2 inches of electrical tape.
Why patch what's not yet released? Just fix it now. We don't have to make our controllers look all busted taping them up when they're bought brand new with a $400 console, if Sony just fixes the shitty feature.

Odrion

Banned
I really don't want to put tape on a snazzy new $60 controller. That stickiness is going to stay there if I remove it and arrrgh that's going to be a lot of tape and will make that sexy controller look gaudy.

No, fuck that. I'd rather demand Sony fixes this shit.

Joco

I think this could be a major annoyance for anyone who games on a TV with a glass screen or in a dark room. Something of a concern - although I suppose electrical tape could do the trick. Still, an annoyance and in addition I'm sure the light drains a significant amount of battery life.

Somnid

Not that I think this is a big deal but that seems like a silly oversight. More than reflection it's probably not great for battery life either.

VanWinkle

Why patch what's not yet released? Just fix it now. We don't have to make our controllers look all busted taping them up when they're bought brand new with a $400 console, if Sony just fixes the shitty feature.

No. I don't want them to take away a really cool feature just because it may make an inconvenience for a small minority that have the ideal setup and a glossy screen that would make this an issue. If they want to have an option to turn the light off for those people, than by all means they should, but don't away a cool feature for the rest of us.

Oppo

go to bed Neiteio. you're wildly speculating on something you don't even know is an issue yet.

maybe it'll require a DAY ONE PATCH to get rid of. lol.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Not really a big deal...

Neiteio

Holy crap, this dude is freaking out.

Here's a solution for your light issue:

99657rD.jpg
If you're directing that at me, I already said I'll be taping the controller if they don't fix it, but do you realize how preposterous it is that the slavish dedication of some means they're coming up with excuses for a controller that shines a bright blue light on the next-gen graphics I'd like to actually see in full?

Unless you tape up your controller, you'll be dealing with this:

UuCexBB.png

Wouldn't you rather Sony just change it?

I'm exasperated more by the logic-defying fanboyism at this point than anything else. I love Sony and PS3 was my most-played console this gen, but I'm not giving them a free pass for silly design choices. Let's hold them to the same standards as all of the other console makers and ask them to fix this stuff.

Pop

I may lower my TV or place my recliner on concrete blocks like an old Camaro just to be able to see the LED reflect on my screen. The top of my TV is 2 meters off of the floor. I don't want to be left out. I'm paying for that light. I want to see it!

hahaha

I'll just assume people hold their controller at neck level when they play. That must hurt a bit.

Edit: In that demo video, everything was reflecting off the tv screen. Every single damn light...you could see them all.

RedAssedApe

Banned
No. I don't want them to take away a really cool feature just because it may make an inconvenience for a small minority that have the ideal setup and a glossy screen that would make this an issue. If they want to have an option to turn the light off for those people, than by all means they should, but don't away a cool feature for the rest of us.

they could just use an led that doesnt output as much light i'm assuming? or does the brightness affect how it functions

Top Bottom