• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 lightbar can't be turned off

smurfx

get some go again
the dual shock light would have been nice in the era of neon lights on pc towers but these days nobody cares. can't believe sony never thought about a shut off feature. not like everybody was planning on playing with other people or using the camera. no reason why they didn't give you an option to shut it off.

Dunlop

There are literally threads counting the pixels in a game but it is not understood why some people would not like a glowing light appearing on the TV screen as they play?

It seems so useless to have without the camera addin, they really need to patch the option to turn it off

Urgh...I hate this. I play my consoles with lights off. I'd probably get some reflection off my screen. Hope they patch this away...else, I'll just tape some stuff over it...and hope it doesn't impact gameplay.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Talk about a non-fucking issue. Good lord. You are going to be sitting with the controller and your hands in your lap and looking up at the TV. The light is tucked up underneath of the controller for the most part. You aren't going to notice it while playing. And it won't reflect off the TV because mostly likely your TV will be outputting more light than the controller.

Seriously, I don't remember people complaining about the move controller reflecting off the screen.

Neiteio

Talk about a non-fucking issue. Good lord. You are going to be sitting with the controller and your hands in your lap and looking up at the TV. The light is tucked up underneath of the controller for the most part. You aren't going to notice it while playing. And it won't reflect off the TV because mostly likely your TV will be outputting more light than the controller.

Seriously, I don't remember people complaining about the move controller reflecting off the screen.
It's a very real issue, even if you press the controller deep into your crotch. The blue reflection will show up on the screen, very glaringly so. See the following posts from myself and others on this page alone:

These guys are holding the controller casually. The blue reflection still shows up in the top of the screen. If they rested the controller on their crotch, the blue light would simply appear on the bottom of the screen.

Either way, it's terribly distracting. I trust Sony will fix this terrible design flaw.

UuCexBB.png

Here's the video itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvpCdtjTrAo

It's a reflection, not a camera effect.

You are wrong :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvpCdtjTrAo

Look at this around the 3:40 mark, and you can see the view from the camera of the lightbar, and the actual reflection of the lightbar in a different position on the screen.

GO8zitQ.jpg

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
It's a very real issue, even if you press the controller deep into your crotch. The blue reflection will show up on the screen, very glaringly so. See the following posts from myself and others on this page alone:

You can also see the 2 guys sitting on the couch being reflected on the screen! Its an issue with the lighting in the room, not so much the controller. This is super evident when they cover up the light.

Only problem I've every really had with glare was from sunlight coming through a window in the day, no prob with a move light so I figure no prob with this, for me at least.

HardRojo

Pretty sure they'll fix it, people are being very vocal about the problem and Sony seems to understand things faster this time around.

PSYGN

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to turn it off eventually via firmware update if not right away. And just like the rest of you, I find the glows annoying. My HP keyboard usb stick glowed something fierce. I had to duct tape that bitch up just so I could sleep.

statham

crazy thought: Does anyone think they are keeping it in, to remind people they aren't getting the full experience? Thus they buy the camera?

cakefoo

What reaction are you talking about? The only people overreacting are the ones joking about canceling their PS4 orders. Most everyone else is saying, well, that kinda sucks, but it's not a big deal and should probably be fixed in a firmware patch.

If there weren't four times as many people telling people not to freak out, when no one is actually freaking out, this thread would only be a handful of pages long. Instead, posts fall into several categories:

1.) Drive by sarcastic quips.
2.) People wondering why everyone is freaking out.
3.) Dumb suggestions on how to cover up the light.
4.) People being reasonable and saying they'd prefer that their controller didn't glow constantly, but that it's not a big deal.

and 5.) People arguing whether that's a reflection in the video clip or not.
My god, this is a great post.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I like to think of it as a nightlight I can take to the bathroom when I have to go pee. That way I don't have to break the illusion by turning on the bathroom light.

Sony really have thought of everything.

I will complain when they remove the feature in a future firmware upgrade and people will tell me that I have a choice. A choice between new games or my bathroom nightlight. Sony isn't "forcing" me to do anything. This is literally OtherOS all over again.

Mikey Jr.

Stupid decision tbh.

If we don't have the camera, or shit, even if we do, give us the option Sony.

I think we should tweet these guys.

Melchiah

The red light in the DS3 hasn't bothered me so far, and I always play in the dark. So I imagine a blue light won't be a problem either.

Demon Ice

Banned
Electrical / Duct tape.

Or just don't point the controller directly at the screen when you play? I dunno about you guys but when I'm playing with a wireless controller my arms are relaxed and my hands / the controller are in my lap.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Reminds me of the PS3 BDROM remote. Remember that? Touch any button in the slightest, PS3 turns on. Massive "ruin my day" stop button that forces you to rewatch all things to get back to your movie where you meant to pause. For second issue, I surgically removed the stop button's conductor from the silicon. Don't miss it. Absolutely worthless button.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
The continuation of this thread says to me that the trickle of next gen news has slowed to such a crawl, that people will post about anything, even if its nothing.

read this on VG247 this morning... and I´m sad... I play at night in my bedroom, fuck me .. my wife is going to kill me if I´m playing with a freaking flashlight on at night..

but the giant lightbulb in the form of a TV screen or monitor doesn't bother her?

Melchiah

That red light is 1x1 mm.............

Kinda two different things here man.

It's a light that's located in the same spot, nonetheless. And the blue light might not be as bright. I personally think people are making a too big deal about this.

Neiteio

You can also see the 2 guys sitting on the couch being reflected on the screen! Its an issue with the lighting in the room, not so much the controller. This is super evident when they cover up the light.
Are you really comparing the dim dark reflection of the two men to the massive blob of bright blue light in the middle of the screen? There's a marked difference. The blue blob is like when the light is on in my living room, but worse. I turn off the living room light for a reason and would like to be able to do the same with the PS4 controller's light.

The product is not out yet and we should call it out for what it is -- a poor design choice and problem -- and do so in the hopes they'll fix it. We don't have to approve of every design choice Sony makes. They listened to our objections to Xbone's anti-consumer policies and decided not to include them. Maybe they'll listen to us again and fix the controller.

Has there been any official word on the lightbar aside from Yosp tweeting "nope" to whether or not it can be turned off a few days ago?

The thing is that the light is also to show which controller # you are using.

Games like Killzone are using it as a health bar too.

Darklor01

but the giant lightbulb in the form of a TV screen or monitor doesn't bother her?

I'm confused. The light on the controller faces the TV, and the TV faces the people in the room. Even with reflection off the TV, the TV is bright as... I gotta agree here, what's the issue?

Demon Ice

Banned
read this on VG247 this morning... and I´m sad... I play at night in my bedroom, fuck me .. my wife is going to kill me if I´m playing with a freaking flashlight on at night..

Wait so she's completely okay with the actual TV being on....but a tiny blue light is going to piss her off?

Gotcha.

Oppo

I guess people wanted a new Fix The Fucking Clock, Sony.

Except now it's Fix The Fucking Light, Sony.

I will take the drastic and unheard-of stance of waiting to see if it's actually a problem when the system ships in 4 months.

(clearly none of these people have played with the PS Eye, which has a giant blue LED and a giant red LED pointed right at your face)

Neiteio

The people saying "some people will find anything to complain about, "slow news day," etc, are either blind or corporate apologists. This is something that is blatantly visible in the pics and video. There is a giant blue blob in the middle of the screen. While they're holding the controller casually. Even as the rest of the room is well-lit (which means it'd be even worse in the dark). This is a giant blue blob that is hard to ignore. Unless people are saying they don't care about graphics, they should be asking Sony to reconsider and at least put an option for turning off the light. We're spending $400 on this thing, we may be as well be able to see the entirety of the screen's output.

Seriously, are people OK seeing the blue blob in the middle of their screen?

Darklor01

The people saying "some people will find anything to complain about, "slow news day," etc, are either blind or corporate apologists. This is something that is blatantly visible in the pics and video. There is a giant blue blob in the middle of the screen. While they're holding the controller casually. Even as the rest of the room is well-lit (which means it'd be even worse in the dark). This is a giant blue blob that is hard to ignore. Unless people are saying they don't care about graphics, they should be asking Sony to reconsider and at least put an option for turning off the light. We're spending $400 on this thing, we may be as well be able to see the entirety of the screen's output.

Seriously, are people OK seeing the blue blob in the middle of their screen?

Whoah there chief. I am neither a corp apologist nor blind. I just don't see this as an issue. I don't tell others who or what they are. Speak for yourself. Damn.

Fox Mulder

This is by far the most hilarious overreaction I've seen on Neogaf to date.

Preorder switched back to xbone!

This is just an odd design choice, as I personally think the use of LEDs in everything is insane. I've disabled them on my PC, taped over lights on power strips, phone chargers, monitors. etc.

cakefoo

Room object reflections are dependent on room lighting. The DS4 light is its own source and is therefore not dependent on room lighting. You're not making a shred of sense.

Neiteio

Whoah there chief. I am neither a corp apologist nor blind. I just don't see this as an issue. I don't tell others who or what they are. Speak for yourself. Damn.
I'm curious how could you enjoy the game if there was a glowing blue mass of light in the middle of the image. What if it's obstructing HUD? What if it's hovering right over a character's face in cutscene, like some Vaseline smear, making them look like a member of the Blue Man Group? I'm curious, does it make the game more cinematic for you? Does the mass of blue light add atmosphere or a nice Bladerunner touch?

Yes, I'm being snarky, but it's employed in good fun to say there's no benefit to a mass of blue light on the screen. Sony should let us toggle it off.

Top Bottom