• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 lightbar can't be turned off

So...why are people defending this anyway?

It's objectively bad not to give an option to turn it off. It will be an issue for some people. How many is yet to be seen but some people will be affected by or annoyed by this light. There's no reason not to give to option to turn it off.

Look guys. I know PS4 hype is on a super high high right now, but if a feature is bad then a feature is bad. The only reason I could see to defend this is crazy levels of brand loyalty to Sony. Criticizing features only ends up making that thing that you are criticizing better. You don't have to defend it just because it's a PS4 feature.

This will cause reflection problems for at least a small number of people. It will likely annoy some people's peripheral vision. Someone shouldn't have to duct tape their controller to fix something like this, it should be an option built in to the OS.

i cannot fathom how so many people think this is something that won't be added as an option in firmware. so obviously the only solution is to redesign the fucking controller? are you high?

You're right, it will eventually be added. Which makes having no option now even more pointless. I shouldn't have to wait a year or more for it to finally be patched in with a firmware update. It should be a feature as soon as I plug in my PS4 this November.

read this on VG247 this morning... and I´m sad... I play at night in my bedroom, fuck me .. my wife is going to kill me if I´m playing with a freaking flashlight on at night..

Look on the bright side, at least it isn't a fleshlight.

But I see no problem with the light, I'll find a way to make jokes about it.

I don't want to loose the feature, because I like it, what do you for those who like the light bar being on and what it represent. I watch a lot of E3 videos about the pros and cons and not one video or article I read or viewed mentioned the light bar ruining there experience I've heard the contrary.

No ones asking for it to be removed. Just the option to disable it.

I really don't think you could make that anology here. People will not cancel their purchase because of this, it's mindblowingly absurd. There is so much more things that would reflect in your TV before that LED light on the DS4, unless you live in the dark.

Maybe but why annoy your customer who gave you money? I bought the move bundle and the move light was kind of annoying, but the most annoying thing was that blue light coming from the PS Eye. Sony needs to talk to their consumers and focus test products before releasing some of these things.

It's objectively bad not to give an option to turn it off. It will be an issue for some people. How many is yet to be seen but some people will be affected by or annoyed by this light. There's no reason not to give to option to turn it off.

Realistically,

A. We have no idea about the SDK: can brightness be adjusted per game? Or by the OS? If its game controlled then ideally the game dev will use it appropriately, including off if needed.
B. We have no idea is its actually intrusively bright or about the same as DS3/360. Would be a great question for any press with one at the moment.
C. It's currently being used as the controller number indicator

Asking for OS level max brightness controls is a great idea. Asking to turn it off entirely is probably unrealistic - at best maybe an "off-during-game" function?

Rubius

Realistically,

A. We have no idea about the SDK: can brightness be adjusted per game? Or by the OS? If its game controlled then ideally the game dev will use it appropriately, including off if needed.
B. We have no idea is its actually intrusively bright or about the same as DS3/360. Would be a great question for any press with one at the moment.
C. It's currently being used as the controller number indicator

Asking for OS level max brightness controls is a great idea. Asking to turn it off entirely is probably unrealistic - at best maybe an "off-during-game" function?

Its the same brightess as the PS Move. We have videos of it being reflected off White items in a fully lighted room. So we do know it will be bright, and in full darkness it will probably reflect off the walls.
The light will also be used to show stuff to the user, like in a RPG if you get poisoned, maybe the light will turn green or whatever. So it will be visible, its the point.

AzerPhire

People saying to put duct tape on their shiny new PS4 controller are ridiculous. There should be an option to turn it off, no excuses.

REV 09

They'll probably just ditch the light idea on future controllers. Kinda like how they added rumble to sixaxis. The light looks stupid on the move controller and on ds4....not sure who thought that giant blue light was cool.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
They'll probably just ditch the light idea on future controllers. Kinda like how they added rumble to sixaxis. The light looks stupid on the move controller and on ds4....not sure who thought that giant blue light was cool.

On that note how integral can the lightbar be when there will still be third party controllers without it?

I don't buy the justification that it has to be on at all times. Personally it doesn't bother me much but there is really no reason to not have an option to turn it off or at least make the bright as insignificant as possible.

cakefoo

This thread is the definition of NeoGAF.
It's the nature of message boards where posts are displayed chronologically. If this were like Reddit, where each talking point had its own thread and good posts floated to the top, there would be so much less redundant bullcrap.

I too am tired of the drive-by threadcrapping on GAF.

I can see why it may annoy some people a little, and there should be a way to turn down the brightness etc. But people cancelling preorders because of this? Really?

You're right, it will eventually be added. Which makes having no option now even more pointless. I shouldn't have to wait a year or more for it to finally be patched in with a firmware update. It should be a feature as soon as I plug in my PS4 this November.

are you quite serious? it's not even out yet. wow.

and glad to know that you have insider info on how long it's going to take for sony to implement the option.

EDIT: as far as Yoshida's comment is concerned; for all we know, he thought the person that asked was referring to a button of some sort on the controller. there could be a firmware option already in place but he didn't understand the question. OR.... OOOOOOORRR the OS isn't even in beta (or even alpha) stage yet, so the option has yet to be created. (highly likely he case. there's no way the OS is complete yet.)

MercuryLS

Banned
People saying to put duct tape on their shiny new PS4 controller are ridiculous. There should be an option to turn it off, no excuses.

Agreed, especially since it's utility is suspect anyways (when it's not used with the PS4 Eye). It's not a big deal to me at all, but it should be an option for sure.

Sendou

It's the nature of message boards where posts are displayed chronologically. If this were like Reddit, where each talking point had its own thread and good posts floated to the top, there would be so much less redundant bullcrap.

I too am tired of the drive-by threadcrapping on GAF.

Ironically both the post you quoted and your own were great examples of thread crapping (my post too to be fair).

Yoday

Seeing as how this light has no real functionality without the camera, I can't imagine they won't add an option to turn it off. With games being able to change the color of the LED there must also be a way to control it to the point that it isn't even on. I imagine with this becoming a concern they will find a way to turn it off via the OS that will be part of the day one patch.

Neiteio

UuCexBB.png

And that aint exactly a dark room
Well that's not distracting at al--

Jontron.gif

GodofWine

I´m sad... I play at night in my bedroom, fuck me .. my wife is going to kill me if I´m playing with a freaking flashlight..

But the flashing bright TV won't bother her, and a soft led glow will.

We've reached the bottom of looking for ways to drag the ps4 down now.

SRTtoZ

I'm a dark room player because of my glossy TV but this will factor in when I buy a new TV this holiday. Anti reflect it is!

Neiteio

But the flashing bright TV won't bother her, and a soft led glow will.

We've reached the bottom of looking for ways to drag the ps4 down now.
Yeah, the real problem here is the blue glare on the screen. That would've ruined The Last of Us and it'll be crazy distracting in any game that has dark areas, night scenes, etc. They need to fix that, lest we resort to duct-taping our controllers. Terrible design choice on Sony's part.

Jedi2016

Whether I do anything about it will depend on whether or not it presents a problem when I actually use it with my particular TV.

I'm also not 100% convinced that they won't change this before launch, or soon thereafter. The LED is under software control, and I assume that includes an "off" mode as well as different colors (we know it can flash). It seems like it would be a simple matter to include an option in Settings to turn the LED off after a certain amount of time.. twenty seconds or so from system-on (plenty enough time to sort out which controller's which, but not enough time to actually start playing).

Unless the camera is being used, of course, at which point it will have to be always-on, but that's life.

No Love

Banned
It's got to be simple for them to add an option. Seems silly to not do so.

I've got a great idea.

Add an option in the OS Settings where if a PS Eye is detected, the light automatically comes on for ease of use. But also allow an option to FORCE IT OFF if the PS Eye is connected.

Crazy, right? lol

CLEEK

Not being able to turn the light off is a monumentally stupid decision.

The reflection of the tiny red LED on the DS3 was annoying enough when playing TLoU in the dark. But having a god damn touch duct taped to the DS4 is going to be horrible.

vg260

Look guys. I know PS4 hype is on a super high high right now, but if a feature is bad then a feature is bad. The only reason I could see to defend this is crazy levels of brand loyalty to Sony. Criticizing features only ends up making that thing that you are criticizing better. You don't have to defend it just because it's a PS4 feature.

This will cause reflection problems for at least a small number of people. It will likely annoy some people's peripheral vision. Someone shouldn't have to duct tape their controller to fix something like this, it should be an option built in to the OS.

Yeah, for real. Sony's doing things pretty well with the PS4, but let's not give them a pass on a pointless feature for most users that could very well be a nuisance. You should minimize user annoyances when using your product. Nothing silly about that. If they put an eye in very box, then maybe there would be a way to justify it, but not now. There could very well be more people bothered by it than the number that buy the camera.

Odrion

Banned
We all know Adam Boyes reads Neogaf.

So hey dude, you know what to do! Fix this before it becomes the butt of message board and webcomic jokes everywhere.

Hale-XF11

Why would I want a bright light aimed at my screen while I'm gaming? That would be horrible. Sony needs to do something about that.

Pop

I can't believe some of you feel as though this will distract or impact your gaming time. You guys must point the controller directly at the screen when playing. Shouldn't your tv/monitor be at eye level not stomach level. I'm sure you don't hold the controller up at your neck when playing.

Neiteio

I can't believe some of you feel as though this will distract or impact your gaming time. You guys must point the controller directly at the screen when playing. Shouldn't your tv/monitor be at eye level not stomach level. I'm sure you don't hold the controller up at your neck when playing.
These guys are holding the controller casually. The blue reflection still shows up in the top of the screen. If they rested the controller on their crotch, the blue light would simply appear on the bottom of the screen.

Either way, it's terribly distracting. I trust Sony will fix this terrible design flaw.

UuCexBB.png

These guys are holding the controller casually. The blue reflection still shows up in the top of the screen. If they rested the controller on their crotch, the blue light would simply appear on the bottom of the screen.

Either way, it's terribly distracting. I trust Sony will fix this terrible design flaw.

UuCexBB.png

I may be wrong but isn't that a camera game? If it is, seeing the light on the screen is on purpose.

Top Bottom