• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 lightbar can't be turned off

Rubius

Yeah, well you do. I don't know what to tell you other than to put some tape on it, and hope they add an option to turn it off in the OS. (Which they won't do if it is the only way to know if the controller is on)

That's kind of a shitty way to do things. What happen if they dont let you set the volume for the speaker in the controller? You will put tape on it too? Tape is cool, but its not the solution to everything.
This is something we should be able to adjust and we should not be okay with just putting tape on lights sources.

Here what the PS Move do to TV when you use it. Notice the giant blue ball floating on the screen? Sure the guy was way too close to the TV, but it still reflect too well.
I dont have a reflective screen so its not my battle, but its still a shitty way to design stuff.

Some simple clip would already be enough. The same goes for the Kinect by the way. No idea why neither company has announced something like that yet.
Nyko will probably come out with a Anti Light clip accessory. 10$ for a piece of plastic that clip on your controller.

Zento_

Neo Member
The image of the game featuring the camera is a bad example as it requires the lightbar for the camera to detect. I think Sony will definitely do something about games that don't require it, either involuntarily have it dim/switch off during games (which would go with the player not being able to turn it off themselves) or with enough vocal outrage have it as a toggle option via PS button (which I would prefer).

That didnt stop the tin hat brigade from going crazy about mandatory kinect and spyware.
Still calling it a tinhat brigade in light of NSA and Prism? Cool, also electric tape solves emitting light, it doesn't address a privacy concern that is a suspected to be a policy (albeit unproven).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
PS Move light on my non-glossy TV:

http://i.imgur.com/d3hqeE8.jpg[IMG]

While using tape would fix it, any game that requires the light bar will require you to constantly add and remove the tape. It's a tacky and flawed solution.

Why are so many opposed to asking Sony to fix it in the OS? Guess fanboys are paranoid about maintaining a squeaky clean image of the PS4.[/QUOTE]

It definitely needs an option to remove, but there are no games that are going to 'need' it. It seems very clear it was rooted in the design for the camera which must have been a packin originally. So now it's just an (annoying) gimmick until they patch it out.

FINALBOSS

Banned
That's kind of a shitty way to do things. What happen if they dont let you set the volume for the speaker in the controller? You will put tape on it too? Tape is cool, but its not the solution to everything.
This is something we should be able to adjust and we should not be okay with just putting tape on lights sources.

Here what the PS Move do to TV when you use it. Notice the giant blue ball floating on the screen? Sure the guy was way too close to the TV, but it still reflect too well.
I dont have a reflective screen so its not my battle, but its still a shitty way to design stuff.

Nyko will probably come out with a Anti Light clip accessory. 10$ for a piece of plastic that clip on your controller.

The dude's a fucking foot away.

Gtfo here with this garbage.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
but it don't do that since PS4 don't have a camera built-in.

The light bar was most likely there when Sony was considering having a camera with every PS4, but now they dropped that idea so the light bar on the DS4 controller is really completely useless and Sony need to just redesign the controller and remove the light bar.

Why would they do that? The light bar can still make some pretty nifty things happen if you have the camera, and the camera will still be available to buy. It just won't be mandatory. So no, I don't see why they would remove the light bar. But yes, they should make it possible to turn it off (or at least dim it to a very soft level) if you're not playing a game where the camera needs to be able to track it.

Odrion

Banned
They could just update the firmware down the road to allow you to turn off the light.

If it becomes an issue, and people make enough noise, I'm sure they'll fix it.

Rubius

The dude's a fucking foot away.

Gtfo here with this garbage.

Go try the PS Move. I do still see the light being reflected off the TV. We are not talking about a dim light or a subtle light. Its a big blue ball of light. And the PS4 controller do seem the same intensity of light, so you WILL see the light off the tv, even without a glossy tv.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Go try the PS Move. I do still see the light being reflected off the TV. We are not talking about a dim light or a subtle light. Its a big blue ball of light. And the PS4 controller do seem the same intensity of light, so you WILL see the light off the tv, even without a glossy tv.

I do have a Move. But it's usually swinging all over the place that I don't really notice.

Listen, I don't disagree with you guys that an option to dim/turn off should most certainly be available.

The solution is a simple one, if you think the light bar will affect you and your game play. Just don't buy the PS4. No need to keep talking about it, you have another option, it's an easy solution.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Eh, whatever... the option will be added in some firmware update down the line I'm sure. It's hardly important for launch.

Also, just another reason that glossy TV screens sucks. Seriously... why do any TVs get made with one? They're horrible.

Rubius

I do have a Move. But it's usually swinging all over the place that I don't really notice.

Listen, I don't disagree with you guys that an option to dim/turn off should most certainly be available.
Its just annoying. Its not a deal breaking thing, as I have a big living room and I sit about 10 feet away from the TV. But I'm thinking about the guys who are in college or are in a small room and have 2-3-4 foot to play a game. Having a giant light on your controller will remove some of the experience and enjoyment. I do hope they fix it fast.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Its just annoying. Its not a deal breaking thing, as I have a big living room and I sit about 10 feet away from the TV. But I'm thinking about the guys who are in college or are in a small room and have 2-3-4 foot to play a game. Having a giant light on your controller will remove some of the experience and enjoyment. I do hope they fix it fast.

I'm not trying to bust you or anyone else balls, believe me. I just think we're all in a really good place with the PS4 when our only major concern is whether the lightbar can be turned off or not :X

Rubius

Eh, whatever... the option will be added in some firmware update down the line I'm sure. It's hardly important for launch.

Also, just another reason that glossy TV screens sucks. Seriously... why do any TVs get made with one? They're horrible.

Dont they have some difference? Like the glossy tv have brighter colors and lights while the mat tv is darker? But yeah, I think its just cheaper to have a giant glossy surface and not a mat screen. And some people LOVE glossy because its glossy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNoPzkhjMZk

UuCexBB.png

And that aint exactly a dark room

that's not a reflection, that's the video feed.

it's not a laser

Nope
The Console detect the light, and if its off the game will stop. Its like convering the Wiimote tip.
And also, I really dont want sticky glue on my controllers because of bad design.

EDIT: Seem that I was wrong and this is only for Cam games. Just woken up when I wrote this so yeah sorry!

nvm

Rubius

that's not a reflection, that's the video feed.

it's not a laser

That's not a video feed, it's a reflection. It's been said many times but people continue to ignore it.

I wish these back and forth arguments would just end.

Its a reflection, the TV show the INSIDE of the remote with the creatures trapped inside. Would not make sense to show a feed of the outside of the remote when the giant white thing just below it is SUPPOSE to be the light of the inside of the controller.
http://youtu.be/AvpCdtjTrAo?t=2m16s

Its so bright in fact that you can even see it on the white jeans the guy is wearing, so its not only on dark stuff.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
If the light is allegedly powerful enough to illuminate a room (as I read on the PSBlog at one point) then not being able to turn it off will almost certainly be an issue. Hopefully somebody at Sony sees sense and adds an option to disable it because it seems like it would be a very simple thing to do.

The solution is a simple one, if you think the light bar will affect you and your game play. Just don't buy the PS4. No need to keep talking about it, you have another option, it's an easy solution.

So instead of fixing the problem, you are saying to just ignore it all together. Is that how you fix all the problems in your life?

My bad, I went to watch the video. It's actually a reflection.

My TV is not that low so it doesn't affect me much, and when the room is dark I don't mind noticing the LED changing its colours. Otherwise that would be meaningless.

When I saw this thread I thought of 9-Volt trying to play games in bed but getting busted by his mom because the controller is going through his comforter.

I'm not sure what you're trying here... but it's not a light reflection but the game showed the footage of the camera in the background.

someone stated this earlier in the thread but everyone decided to ignore him :p

Uhh, its IS 100% a reflection.

watch this video, and go to 6:00ish and you can see when he zooms inside the controller you can see its a reflection and even his fingers covering part of it up.

Or you can go to 6:50 and look and you can see what I think is the lights under the couch shining on the TV, but also the blue light from the controller reflecting all over the place on the screen.

So instead of fixing the problem, you are saying to just ignore it all together. Is that how you fix all the problems in your life?

No my friend, I gave you a solution to the problem. If you are really annoyed by the light bar reflection. I suggested that you go with the alternative the XB1. As a gamer you shouldn't be forced to put up with this shit, how dare they fuck up your experience, show them by buying the XB1 instead.

Alej

Banned
I have a glossy Tv. I'm pretty sure it will reflect in my TV screen.
But the fact is, i don't give a shit because the room have spotlights everywhere and they are all reflecting in my TV right now.

It's not distracting at all, your mind will erase the reflection (yeah...) so you don't see it at all while gaming, unless you are very paranoid about that sort of thing. Really.

If you want to see it, you'll see it. If you don't want, you won't. Just that.

edit: i have to confess that i love glossy TVs because of this, the reflection makes the screen more contrasted, with better blacks and a much more natural look. Just don't place it in front of your windows and it will be fine.

No my friend, I gave you a solution to the problem. If you are really annoyed by the light bar reflection. I suggested that you go with the alternative the XB1. As a gamer you shouldn't be forced to put up with this shit, how dare they fuck up your experience, show them by buying the XB1 instead.

It makes sense to complain and hope Sony does something about it. If people keep quiet they won't think there's an issue with it. Look at the 180 MS did on their DRM policies.

Alej

Banned
It makes sense to complain and hope Sony does something about it. If people keep quiet they won't think there's an issue with it. Look at the 180 MS did on their DRM policies.

I really don't think you could make that anology here. People will not cancel their purchase because of this, it's mindblowingly absurd. There is so much more things that would reflect in your TV before that LED light on the DS4, unless you live in the dark.

I don't want to loose the feature, because I like it, what do you for those who like the light bar being on and what it represent. I watch a lot of E3 videos about the pros and cons and not one video or article I read or viewed mentioned the light bar ruining there experience I've heard the contrary.

i cannot fathom how so many people think this is something that won't be added as an option in firmware. so obviously the only solution is to redesign the fucking controller? are you high?

it isn't (afaik) required for any game (that doesn't need the camera) to FUNCTION AT ALL, hence it's not something that will need to be on if you don't have a camera- meaning the camera *is* the requirement for certain games, not the controller LED being enabled alone. there's ZERO reason they can't implement an option in the PS4 settings if you don't want to use it. it will be patched in. count on it.

also: the "but it took forever for the clock fix" comments are beyond old. there's already a better example set by them on fixing controller-related troubles, and i mentioned it earlier in this thread: the PS3 had no auto-off options for controllers when it first came out. they added that in when people complained. since we already know about the issue NOW, they might even put the fix in before it launches.

Top Bottom