• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 lightbar can't be turned off

spookyfish

Nobody is going to spend $500 on an XOne and not hook up the kinect. That's like a single person throwing out the backseat of their car because they don't anticipate anyone using it. It has a use, and I bet even the most staunch opposers will be using the kinect. It's the whole package; you want an Xbox one, you indirectly want a kinect.

Hate to rain on your parade, but IF I were to buy the 'Bone, I wouldn't hook up the Kinect. I have no interest in it. As it stands, I'm waiting on a Kinect-less SKU, which I'd be willing to bet will happen fairly soon after holiday sales cool.

UlC7p1Z.png
https://twitter.com/yosp/status/380156582148861953

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if there are legit Microsoft people in this very thread trying to stir things back up. It's ridiculous.

Oh god. Please stop for fucks' sake.

It doesn't take a Microsoft fanboy to realize putting a big fat light on the top of your controller in 2013, when most modern TVs are very reflective, is not a good idea. I'm for more positive about the PS4 than I am the XB1, but that doesn't change my opinion of the dual shock 4 light bar.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if there are legit Microsoft people in this very thread trying to stir things back up. It's ridiculous.

No. Nothing like that. Didn't think I was before but guys...I might be a fanboy. Still have both preordered. We'll see what happens come November. Sorry I'll leave you guys alone.

Jonboy

I swear, this is GAF's answer to everything. "Put tape on it."

Kinect? Put tape on it.

PS4 LED? Put tape on it.

DS4 light bar? Put tape on it.

Am I the only one who likes the way the light bar looks? I have a plasma which is gloss city, but even then it's difficult to notice reflections on the screen when watching something unless I'm paying attention to it.

Not being a Sony warrior here, but it's like people are itching for something to hate. My only gripe is that the PS4 looks like crap laying down and there's no room in my setup for consoles that stand up except the floor. And I don't put $400 pieces of equipment on the floor.
The bolded is 100% spot on. I wonder if the folks complaining have actually considered their setup. I have a plasma, but the tv is elevated off the ground on a stand.

Not as ridiculous as suggesting that anyone having a concern or problem with something to do with Sony are MS employees FUDing it up or astroturfers. That's the worst of this board, or any board's issues is when you've taken it upon yourself to call others shills, fanboys, and not just respect that not everyone is 100% fine with everything that you or others are.

Dimmed by who? The user or the developer extending that control?

Dead Man

The bolded is 100% spot on. I wonder if the folks complaining have actually considered their setup. I have a plasma, but the tv is elevated off the ground on a stand.

You've spent a lot of posts talking about how this is a non issue. Maybe try a new approach to dismissing people.

Jonboy

Oh god. Please stop for fucks' sake.

It doesn't take a Microsoft fanboy to realize putting a big fat light on the top of your controller in 2013, when most modern TVs are very reflective, is not a good idea. I'm for more positive about the PS4 than I am the XB1, but that doesn't change my opinion of the dual shock 4 light bar.
Lol. Ok man. We'll see how big an issue this is when the console actually launches. I'm sure Sony headquarters will just be flooded with calls of people complaining. Because of angles we hold our controller, position of our hands & seating, and the positions of most tvs, this will not affect many people at all.

Dead Man

Lol. Ok man. We'll see how big an issue this is when the console actually launches. I'm sure Sony headquarters will just be flooded with calls of people complaining. Because of angles we hold our controller, position of our hands & seating, and the positions of most tvs, this will not affect many people at all.

Hopefully not, but if it does effect someone, you shitting up the discussion is going to be fucking awesome :/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I understand they need it for tracking... but isn't it possible to use wave length that is not visible to human eye? For people with glossy screens...

How have sony not updated the OS in these devkits since Gamescom/E3 with the tiny specific feature we've decided to fixate on!? This is outrageous!

should just automatically turn it off if you don't have a camera connected. anyway, this will inevitably be patched in an OS update down the line, storm in a teacup

Ateron

Why are you guys still debating this shit? I,for one ain't worried. I have a Move and never noticed any reflection on my Tv, but for those who are worried, what's stopping sony from releasing a firmware to turn the light off?

Some of you act like it's something impossible to acomplish.

Jonboy

You've spent a lot of posts talking about how this is a non issue. Maybe try a new approach to dismissing people.
Legitimately don't understand what you're trying to say. I've explained why I think it's a non-issue. Everyone has their opinion. I'm not dismissing that, but I can point out why I think the opinion is invalid/overblown.

masterkajo

If you are for or against the light, I don't see the harm in Sony allowing it to be turned off. What would be the obvious reason to not allow it (apart from, we made a design decision and built it it so look at it).

I plan on picking up a DS4 for gaming on PC on my glossy Plasma TV and I am sure someone will write a program/drivers that allow it to be turned off. But I don't get why Sony wouldn't allow to do it on the PS4? Options, people, options!

Dead Man

Legitimately don't understand what you're trying to say. I've explained why I think it's an issue. Everyone has their opinion. I'm not dismissing that, but I can point out why I think the opinion is invalid/overblown.

By saying it is invalid you are dismissing it. Come on, it's basic stuff.

zma1013

Not really seeing a problem with this. I can't turn off the light in the middle of my Xbox controller either.

Well that pisses me off as well, so much that I put electrical tape over the button. The difference here though is that the light has the possibility of reflecting off your screen. Nobody wants a light in the middle of their screen.

EDIT: Oh well, I did not notice it was at 28 pages. 1st page reply, doh.

should just automatically turn it off if you don't have a camera connected. anyway, this will inevitably be patched in an OS update down the line, storm in a teacup

Well, and that's the rub right there. If it's inevitably going to be patched in Sony could just tell us all that right now, and we could let this go. Even if it won't be at launch, if they simply promised it would be addressed soon after, that would be plenty fine.

Legitimately don't understand what you're trying to say. I've explained why I think it's a non-issue. Everyone has their opinion. I'm not dismissing that, but I can point out why I think the opinion is invalid/overblown.

If you're sincere you can go to the previous page and read my comments about playing The Last of Us and noticing the reflection of the dual shock 3's tiny LED light in my TV.

jayu26

Why are you guys still debating this shit? I,for one ain't worried. I have a Move and never noticed any reflection on my Tv, but for those who are worried, what's stopping sony from releasing a firmware to turn the light off?

I have been saying this since that light became an issue for many here. But, many have already decided that this is going to be an issue, no matter what. I'm totally prepared for exaggerated claim on this come November.

Dead Man

If you are for or against the light, I don't see the harm in Sony allowing it to be turned off. What would be the obvious reason to not allow it (apart from, we made a design decision and built it it so look at it).

I plan on picking up a DS4 for gaming on PC on my glossy Plasma TV and I am sure someone will write a program/drivers that allow it to be turned off. But I don't get why Sony wouldn't allow to do it on the PS4? Options, people, options!

That would be the simple solution, not sure why they seem to be resistant to it.

If you turn it off completely... how would you know if your controller is on? Or which controller is which? It's the same damn function the LED is for on the DS3.

turnbuckle

Those were the same pictures we discussed over 2 months ago in this very same thread.

Yeah, that first picture was one I was talking about when I assumed it was actually an icon on the screen rather than a reflection. I was clearly wrong.

Y7Zu5QUl.jpg

Man, you would think Sony learned their lesson when people were demanding to turn the DS3's LED off to save battery...

The definition of cognitive dissonance.

btw., how many here are complaining about the reflection and actually have their TV setup so it's not hit by ANY light sources? Windows/blinds, lamps, laptops, playing under bright conditions in general (you can see yourself in the TV).
If you have, why are you holding your controller so high and/or why are you sitting so far away from your TV that you can see the reflection? If it's a reflective surface, you can easily even see the DS3's LED under such conditions...
Also, you're holding the controller still, usually. You might see it on a dark screen but it's still e.g. less distracting than a Move controller (which itself is already easily ignored, because well, you're playing a game).

I think it's pretty common for gamers to try to limit the sources of light that touches the screen. During the day in a room with windows it can be tough, even accounting for blinds/curtains, but that's a separate issue regardless.
The red light on the DS3 is like 1/20th the size of the PS4 light. If you're going to make an argument, at least be genuine about it. You'd at least come off as having a rational counter.

For me I usually play with the controller facing slightly downward towards my lap. For me, generally, the light shouldn't be as obvious as in the pictures shown here. Obviously I haven't tried out the PS4 controller on my tv and under my typical playing conditions so I can't say with any certainty if this is going to affect me personally, but that doesn't excuse the fact that it's going to be an issue for some. The simplest solution in the world would be to not make the light up to the developers, but up to the users. With a solution so simple I don't understand how anyone can argue against someone suggesting Sony fixes the situation.

Ateron

I have been saying this since this became an issue for many here. But, many have already decided that this is going to be an issue, no matter what. I'm totally prepared for exaggerated claim on this come November.

Sometimes I think people just want a reason to complain. We know, the last few months have been as pro-sony as they can get, but this is grasping at straws. If the problem is really significant, surely the community will speak up and they will fix it with a firmware update.

That way we can turn it on/off as we please. If there's a game that requires camera and the controller light, then it will be something that people will have to put up with, but for the other games I see no trouble in deactivating the light.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ideally, the system should default the lightbar off (or at least let you turn it off globally in system settings) and then games have the option to turn it ON if they need it (whether mechanically or just for atmosphere).

The Xbox system is really neat - using IR lights to achieve a similar result (not tracking orientation I think, but at least identifying controllers) means no annoying visible lights. As Wiimote did the same, it is a bit of a shame Sony didn't use a similar solution - an IR LED at either edge of the DS4 should have been enough for an IR sensitive camera to detect and track?

Bgamer90

Banned
Not really seeing a problem with this. I can't turn off the light in the middle of my Xbox controller either.

The light isn't pointed directly at the TV screen when playing a game (since it's facing towards you instead of facing towards the TV screen).

Plus the light is smaller obviously.

Overall (as I've said before) I can see this being an issue for people that have reflective and/or plasma TVs. And no, it's not about pointing the controller directly at the TV -- if the TV is big enough, the light will reflect off of it from the glow (no matter what direct you point it in). Mirrors... How do they work (lol)?

Also I'm not surprised that people are bringing up other consoles and/or are saying that people are trying hard to find things to hate about the console they aren't choosing. Console warz are in full force.

onQ123

That's good to hear, but the pics that were posted back when look pretty distracting to me. Hope it is not an issue since it looks like Sony aint doing shite to change it.

It's a picture you have time to focus on it.

I have a question have anyone who played the PS4 wrote about how distracting it is? I bet the people who played the games in these videos\pictures that people are complaining about never even noticed it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I thought I was discussing? I'll let you guys get on with your discussion and see how it goes :)

That's the spirit. We're busy throwing chairs and power bombing each other off the steel cage right now.

I have nothing further to add on this. I said almost everything I wanted to say when this thread first came up a couple months ago.

Sometimes I think people just want a reason to complain. We know, the last few months have been as pro-sony as they can get, but this is grasping at straws. If the problem is really significant, surely the community will speak up and they will fix it with a firmware update.

You can say that, and then you can read my post on the previous page where I mentioned I occasionally notice the tiny dual shock 3 LED being reflected in my TV while playing. So it's not that hard to imagine that if I notice that tiny LED while playing darker games, I'm going to easily notice the much larger light on the top of the dual shock 4.

Lol, this feels like groundhog day.

I'll just point out the obvious like I did when these were first posted, the camera is recording the light and the aliens follow it in the video; it's part of a tech demo.

Your attempt at deflecting this is misguided and confused. Yes, the concept in that portion of that tech demo is that the creatures in the controller won't see the light when you cover it, but that is absolutely the REAL LIGHT being reflected in that TV in the first pic.

How have sony not updated the OS in these devkits since Gamescom/E3 with the tiny specific feature we've decided to fixate on!? This is outrageous!

considering how fast the HDCP complaints were rectified I assume they don't see it as an issue. also, seeing as the developers can now change this we have another avenue to direct our complaints

some displays don't have non-reflective surfaces. my new Plasma has a glass screen and it's very easy to see light sources.

The red light on the DS3 is like 1/20th the size of the PS4 light. If you're going to make an argument, at least be genuine about it. You'd at least come off as having a rational counter.

That's because I think the actual brightness of the LED is more important than the size of the plastic part (which is just there to increase the area/spread like the ball of the Move controller).
Holding a DS3 or Move in front of the screen, you can see the reflection of both.
I don't doubt that the DS4 can be brighter, but they can easily use a dimmed state while there's no camera. tracking Just enough so the user can see it's on / battery is dying / which controller is which.

Your attempt at deflecting this is misguided and confused. Yes, the concept in that portion of that tech demo is that the creatures in the controller won't see the light when you cover it, but that is absolutely the REAL LIGHT being reflected in that TV in the first pic.
Have you watched the video those are taken from? The camera is recording them right before it goes into the game, then it's recording the light for the screen on the background behind the aliens.

There's no deflecting, just watch the original video if you don't want to take my word on it.

Loakum

Banned
My dear fellow soon to be PS4 gamers, the soft color light is on top of the dualshock 4 controller. I don't see this causing glare on a tv, even when playing in a dark room. The tv itself will be a colorful light source. Why exactly is this an issue? For those who have a Playstation Move controller, it's the SAME thing!

kasane

I cant see reflections on my TV, the playstation monitor on the other hand. Good thing i play while my controller is facing downwards

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A person's proximity to the screen has no effect on the reflective properties of the TV.

I'm quite confident many of the defensive posts in this thread are purely the result of console warz being fought. No one wants to give an inch and admit their console of choice has a flaw, etc.

some of the defensive posts might be because
a) people genuinely don't give a shit and it won't affect them quite as much as you seem to think it will
b) Sony have already bloody said they'll let it be turned off in software (initially by devs but I will put money on it being a system setting pretty quickly)

So there seems little point harping on about it not being disabled on devkits being shown at a trade show. Can we not at least wait to see what the final software looks like or give sony a little bit of time to actually implement the thing they said they were going to - its only been a few months since E3

Loakum

Banned
Again, have ANYBODY read ANY reports of the Playstation Move causing glare on anyone's tv? Right, me neither. The dual shock 4 controller is the same thing! This is a none issue people.

some of the defensive posts might be because
a) people genuinely don't give a shit and it won't affect them quite as much as you seem to think it will
b) Sony have already bloody said they'll let it be turned off in software (initially by devs but I will put money on it being a system setting pretty quickly)

So there seems little point harping on about it not being disabled on devkits being shown at a trade show. Can we not at least wait to see what the final software looks like or give sony a little bit of time to actually implement the thing they said they were going to - its only been a few months since E3

Yes, I said "many of the defensive posts", not all. I said many because I'm sure there are some people who legitimately don't think this is a big deal.

But the people who start their post with "some people really just want to find a flaw with the PS4". Yeah, those people are worried about anything making the PS4 look bad, and that just irritates me. So I pointed it out.

I think making noise about a problem is never a bad thing. We've seen what it accomplished with the XB1, so I never understand why people get so upset when others complain. Sometimes companies need a thread like this on the front page of GAF to get it through their heads this isn't a trivial matter. It's going to severely damage the experience for some of us.

Again, have ANYBODY read ANY reports of the Playstation Move causing glare on anyone's tv? Right, me neither. The dual shock 4 controller is the same thing! This is a none issue people.
In the very slim chance that it even is a major issue, then it can be patched out.

We'll know once we all get our hands on the console. Seriously though, I'm glad this is the biggest issue people have with the console because if this is all we have to worry about then things are going good.

Gestault

Jeeeez you sound like a loon. My posts weeks back in this thread were making fun of people's overreaction, but don't you think it's possible that people would be annoyed that a large, bright LED bar is shining on their display from their controller? Like, no one could possibly be annoyed by that unless they were a paid plant by Microsoft? Obviously this is a simple concern to address, but assuming that no one could feel that way without some opposing force motivating them is just nuts.

xPhinehas

This is completely ridiculous! The people complaining about the light need to find better things to do with their time. I sit about 6 feet away from my 55'' LED Samsung sometimes and the glare from the red LED on the PS3 controller NEVER bothers me. Get over it people.

Dunlop

damn thought the necro rez was because they patched in the ability to turn it off

As a Plasma TV owner who plays in a dark basement I am sure this will be distracting, the world will no come to an end but just seems to be a stupid oversite

Top Bottom