• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 lightbar can't be turned off

Which is exactly my point.

Why complain about something that we don't even know is an issue yet?

If it turns out to be an issue then we can complain about it and hopefully get it patched out.

Correction on the bolded, I replied to say that

which is true. No one who's used the controller has mentioned this issue. There's been no grounds for concern yet, other than a few photos of people standing 1 or 2 feet from the screen. The worst case scenario is that it turns out to be an issue and we complain until they patch it out.
I can see the reflection of the DS3 red LED on my TV, so I don't need to wait until release to know DS4 will pose an even bigger issue.

But whatever. We're moaning about that, and you're moaning about us moaning.

VanWinkle

The light is curved .. It's been design to be as noticeable to the camera as possible. Slightly facing down is still pointing at the tv.

also again it is the ammount of light that would be the problem. In a very dark room the smallest light is noticeable on the objects around it.

Hmmm I guess I still can't visualize it being an issue for the vast majority of people. But I do hope they can do something about the issue for the few people that may be affected.

I can see the reflection of the DS3 red LED on my TV, so I don't need to wait until release to know DS4 will pose an even bigger issue.

But whatever. We're moaning about that, and you're moaning about us moaning.
I'm not moaning about you moaning, feel free to moan all you want.

I'm just saying that if it's an issue it'll probably get patched out anyway.

I've not personally seen anything to cause me concern, but if you think it's going to be an issue for you then complain away.

Not wrong, but it seems counterproductive to have your arms aimed upward and controller faced outward, when it is more comfortable to have your arms rested against your legs and the controller facing slightly downward. In that use case, most people will not have this issue. It isn't like Move, where it acts like a cursor and requires you to point the controller at the TV.

This just shows how subjective this whole issue is, as I have just sat down to test how I sit when gaming. I sit like you describe with arms resting on my lap with my arms and wrist relaxed and for me with my set up the LEDs on my ds3 point slightly up which is directly towards my eye level tv...for me getting the pad to aim downwards as you suggest requires my to move my arms into a definitely not relaxed position with wrists extended downwards

Mugatu

I'm not moaning about you moaning, feel free to moan all you want.

I'm just saying that if it's an issue it'll probably get patched out anyway.

That's possible, but by then you have invested in a $400 console so you're kind of at their mercy.I see your point but if someone buys the console and this is a big problem for them it is too late.

They know it's a possible problem now, it's definitely been brought to their attention, and they haven't patched it yet or shown any inclination of ever doing so.

I didn't read the entire thread but I would guess it's the same matte material as the current Move controller orb, I don't have a glossy TV but maybe some people with both could test it out to see just how intrusive the combination of those two is right now?

VanWinkle

This just shows how subjective this whole issue is, as I have just sat down to test how I sit when gaming. I sit like you describe with arms resting on my lap with my arms and wrist relaxed and for me with my set up the LEDs on my ds3 point slightly up which is directly towards my eye level tv...for me getting the pad to aim downwards as you suggest requires my to move my arms into a definitely not relaxed position with wrists extended downwards

Hmm okay. Honestly I'm having trouble visualizing how it can be a problem. Maybe some of you guys that believe it will be an issue can show a picture of what your setup looks? It would help me understand, as well as maybe others.

Hmm okay. Honestly I'm having trouble visualizing how it can be a problem. Maybe some of you guys that believe it will be an issue can show a picture of what your setup looks? It would help me understand, as well as maybe others.

Because you dont have a reflective tv lol. Il put a picture up in an hour or so once darker if no others have appeared by then

That's possible, but by then you have invested in a $400 console so you're kind of at their mercy.I see your point but if someone buys the console and this is a big problem for them it is too late.

They know it's a possible problem now, it's definitely been brought to their attention, and they haven't patched it yet or shown any inclination of ever doing so.

I didn't read the entire thread but I would guess it's the same matte material as the current Move controller orb, I don't have a glossy TV but maybe some people with both could test it out to see just how intrusive the combination of those two is right now?
Honestly, if I personally thought it was going to be an issue, and I'd had issues with the PS3 LED distracting me enough then I probably wouldn't be buying a PS4, or at the very least I'd wait to hear more impressions from buyers. The design of the controllers point a light towards the screen though, and if it was a big distraction for me then I would probably be complaining too.

I'm just saying that we haven't had any impressions from people who've used the actual controller that mention it yet. Now it could be that they're not sensitive to it like some people are, or maybe the conditions they're using it in or it could be that the issue simply doesn't exist.

If it does turn out to be a problem then I agree it should be patched, at the very least, regardless of if there's an issue, there should be the option to turn off the light on the controllers. I'm not disagreeing with that.

Maybe by virtue of actually fucking working.

Obviously, but if it (=button press) doesn't work it can be either an empty battery (or auto-turned off to save battery), the controller is set to the wrong port (often games only accept input from #1 + obviously local mp scenarios), the game doesn't accept that certain button at the moment, the controller is not paired to the console or the game/console simply froze.
All this you can distinguish by simply looking at the light of the DS3.

Dead Man

Obviously, but if it (=button press) doesn't work it can be either an empty battery (or auto-turned off to save battery), the controller is set to the wrong port (often games only accept input from #1 + obviously local mp scenarios), the game doesn't accept that certain button at the moment, the controller is not paired to the console or the game/console simply froze.
All this you can distinguish by simply looking at the light of the DS3.
So have it flash an error state.

Gestault

I don't know why you're resulting to insults. I'm not trying to dismiss your concerns, I've already said that it sucks for you but if you were bothered by the PS3 LED then there's not a lot that can be done given the design of both controllers; you're obviously very sensitive to light sources. I've never heard of the PS3 LED causing people concern, so you can obviously understand why I don't think the PS4 light will bother me either. You're obviously a fringe case, in regard to the PS3 LED light.

And I've already explained those pictures, as have many other people throughout the thread.

You do realize that pointing out intellectual dishonesty isn't an insult, right? It's a description. And yes, you *are* actually dismissing a number of people's concerns, most of which seem rooted in reality.

VanWinkle

Because you dont have a reflective tv lol. Il put a picture up in an hour or so once darker if no others have appeared by then

I have a regular LCD TV (which, granted, I do most of my gaming on) and I have the Playstation Display, which is reflective. You don't have to post the setup when its darker. I just want to see what kind of setup the LED on DS4 would be an issue with.

You do realize that pointing out intellectual dishonesty isn't an insult, right? It's a description. And yes, you *are* actually dismissing a number of people's concerns, most of which seem rooted in reality.
It's an insult when it's misplaced, and as I said, I'm sorry he feels I'm being intellectually dishonest.

Is pointing out that no one who's used the controller has mentioned these issues dismissing complaints? Maybe, but it's also the truth.

Even so, I've already mentioned that, regardless of if there's an issue, there should be the option to turn off the controller's light.

Cheech

The whole lightbar crap should've honestly been cut when they made the decision to not bundle in the PS Eye. It's a vestigial feature will have no major use in most games, other than annoy the shit out of you.

Yes, thank you.

The duct tape thing is just tacky. I would end up opening my controllers up and spray painting the end black.

I had seen this news before, obviously, but I didn't realize it was so bright. Looking at that picture, that is nuclear bright. I play in the dark via a projector, any light except that coming from the screen is distracting as hell.

cakefoo

Did you watch the video it's taken from? It's way back in the thread, when we originally discussed this and when I originally posted.

Seriously though, the thread feels like it's going around in circles.
Ironically, the circular discussion is necessary when people participate in multiple cycles of the argument and still don't know what they're talking about. Let's end this debate once and for all.

The colored lights in all these are reflections.

original

In that last pic, the room they're playing in is so brightly lit that even the ROOM is reflecting, so we have a 100% accurate reference image of where the controller is and it lines up perfectly with where the lightbar is. End of debate (or not lol).

I have a regular LCD TV (which, granted, I do most of my gaming on) and I have the Playstation Display, which is reflective. You don't have to post the setup when its darker. I just want to see what kind of setup the LED on DS4 would be an issue with.

Edit - Removed my pics as they were rubbish, will get some with a better camera, but the post above shows much better why this is a genuine concern for some anyway.

Ironically, the circular discussion is necessary when people participate in multiple cycles of the argument and still don't know what they're talking about. Let's end this debate once and for all.

In that last pic, the room they're playing in is so brightly lit that even the ROOM is reflecting, so we have a 100% accurate reference image of where the controller is and it lines up perfectly with where the lightbar is. End of debate (or not lol).
Have you watched the video of those first pictures? Serious question. The camera is literally recording the people and the light right before it, and switches to that scene; the camera is recording the light, that tech demo shows how the camera picks up the light.

In the last pictures, literally everything is reflecting, which is what you would expect off of a reflective surface.

The pictures that I feel are a legitimate source of concern are the Move controller ones. If the PS4 controllers end up reflecting like that from a distance then I agree there is an issue.

I don't understand why we haven't been hearing of the issue from people who've used it if it's as bad as those Move pictures though. We'll definitely know more once buyers/users give their opinion.

If I was concerned that it was going to affect me, I'd hold off on my purchase until I had feedback from owners or people who'd used the controller.

Which brings up the question, why haven't any reviewers been asked about the issue?

8byte

Banned
That was not an insult. It was an honest description of your behavior in this thread.

That was an insult. You can't hide behind vocabulary and pretend that you aren't trying to insult someone. I mean...that would just be intellectual dishonesty, honestly.

VanWinkle

Edit - Removed my pics as they were rubbish, will get some with a better camera, but the post above shows much better why this is a genuine concern for some anyway.

Oh, duh, I don't why I didn't think of the people who both have a reflective TV AND sit far away from it. Yeah, I could see that being a concern.

In case you hadn't figured it out yet, he's not willing to admit he's wrong. He's now taken a stand he won't allow himself to back down from, regardless of how many examples he's given. That's the definition of intellectual dishonesty.

Oh, duh, I don't why I didn't think of the people who both have a reflective TV AND sit far away from it. Yeah, I could see that being a concern.

Yea its all subjective as we all have different set ups which is where the thread goes into a mess. I'll still be getting my ps4 day one though and just hope for the best, and admittedly if the light isnt a bright colour it should be ok so will just wait and see i suppose.

In case you hadn't figured it out yet, he's not willing to admit he's wrong. He's now taken a stand he won't allow himself to back down from, regardless of how many examples he's given. That's the definition of intellectual dishonesty.
I'm sorry you feel that way.

If you read any of my posts properly, then you'd understand that's not the case.

cakefoo

Have you watched the video of those first pictures? Serious question. The camera is literally recording the people and the light right before it, and switches to that scene; the camera is recording the light, that tech demo shows how the camera picks up the light.
Around 2:14, in the augmented reality portion just prior to going inside the controller, you'll notice an out-of-place faint blue glow a few inches above the video of the controller. It is a reflection.

It's a freaky coincidence that the augmented reality light and the reflection do in fact almost line up.

Around 2:14, in the augmented reality portion just prior to going inside the controller, you'll notice an out-of-place faint blue glow a few inches above the video of the controller. It is a reflection.

It's a freaky coincidence that the augmented reality light and the reflection do in fact almost line up.

You can also see the guys in front of the TV faintly reflected in the screen, and of course the reflection of the dual shock 4 light is moving in his hands.

It's conspiracy theory levels of bullshit to deny that's what the video shows.

I can see what you mean in the sections after the alien tech demo and those screenshots, when they're sitting on the couch; I just don't think the alien tech demo screenshots are representative of how it'll look on a reflective TV. The section after that might be more indicative of how it'll look.

I'd personally say it's hard to judge based off of screenshots where the camera is recording, but there's sections in that video where I can definitely see it reflecting.

I can see what you mean in the sections after the alien tech demo and those screenshots, when they're sitting on the couch; I just don't think the alien tech demo screenshots are representative of how it'll look on a reflective TV. The section after that might be more indicative of how it'll look.

I'd personally say it's hard to judge based off of screenshots where the camera is recording, but there's sections in that video where I can definitely see it reflecting.

OK, so you're wrong. Thanks.

Watching that video carefully, which I just finally did, it is absolutely clear you can see reflections of not only both guys sitting on the couch, but also the dual shock 4 in the guys hands, with the big blue light being reflected on the TV screen.

OK, so you're wrong. Thanks.

Watching that video carefully, which I just finally did, it is absolutely clear you can see reflections of not only both guys sitting on the couch, but also the dual shock 4 in the guys hands, with the big blue light being reflected on the TV screen.
About the section with the alien tech demo? No, the camera is still recording.

Either that, or people actually buy TVs that reflect their whole living room, which I refuse to believe.

cakefoo

Here's even more (unnecessary, hopefully) evidence- there's a zoom transition when you go from the augmented reality room feed, to virtual DS4 innards. During that transition the video of the room is growing in size, but as you'll see, the blue dot is staying one size. Reflections, how do they work?

About the section with the alien tech demo? No, the camera is still recording.

Either that, or people actually buy TVs that reflect their whole living room, which I refuse to believe.

lmao

Thanks for finally admitting you have no idea what you've been talking about this entire time. Yes, that is a modern Sony TV, and that is exactly how it reflects things in a normal living room. To be even more specific for you, here is the model of the Sony TV they're using in that demo.

The entire time they're showing those aliens inside the controller, that blue light you're seeing is the reflection from the dual shock 4 sitting in that guy's hands. As I explained on previous pages of this thread, when darker scenes are occurring, that is when these reflections are most problematic.

Here's even more (unnecessary, hopefully) evidence- there's a zoom transition when you go from the augmented reality room feed, to virtual DS4 innards. During that transition the video of the room is growing in size, but as you'll see, the blue dot is staying one size. Reflections, how do they work?
Yeah, that's the bit I noticed it at.

If you're talking about the Alien demo, the guy specifically mentions that the PS eye is tracking the light right when he covers it though.

lmao

Thanks for finally admitting you have no idea what you've been talking about this entire time. Yes, that is a modern Sony TV, and that is exactly how it reflects things in a normal living room. To be even more specific for you, here is the model of the Sony TV they're using in that demo.

The entire time they're showing those aliens inside the controller, that blue light you're seeing is the reflection from the dual shock 4 sitting in that guy's hands. As I explained on previous pages of this thread, when darker scenes are occurring, that is when these reflections are most problematic.
I was poking fun at the fact people are complaining about the light reflecting, when their whole living room is reflecting; I just think that's a bit funny personally.

I've already admitted to seeing it in other parts of the video, I just don't think it's a pronounced as those pictures of the alien demo.

I'll also reiterate for the 4th or 5th time that I agree there should be an option to turn the light off.

Krakn3Dfx

I'm not worried about this. Yet.

I imagine if this presents enough of an issue for people and Sony gets enough backlash, they will implement a way to turn the light on/off at an OS level unless the game forces it to be on for some reason.

Right now, they're leaving it up to the developer to leave it on or offer an option to turn it off, but things like this are why console operating systems are constantly evolving and changing.

If this is the biggest issue we're having with the PS4 at launch right now, we're probably doing pretty good.

Yeah, that's the bit I noticed it at.

If you're talking about the Alien demo, the guy specifically mentions that the PS eye is tracking the light right when he covers it though.

Yes, because the camera is tracking the light output of the dual shock 4. That's how it knows where it's located at all times. For example, in a light gun shooter sort of way.

However, that does not have anything to do with the TV reflecting the light itself, which it's doing the entire time they're demoing this thing. You didn't want to believe this whole thing was a real problem, so you wanted to believe that reflection wasn't the actual dual shock 4, when in fact it was.

I was poking fun at the fact people are complaining about the light reflecting, when their whole living room is reflecting; I just think that's a bit funny personally.

I've already admitted to seeing it in other parts of the video, I just don't think it's a pronounced as those pictures of the alien demo.

I'll also reiterate for the 4th or 5th time that I agree there should be an option to turn the light off.

OK, so now the reflections from the dual shock 4 do exist, and you can notice them in that video. Thanks for finally, kind of, admitting that. Now you're trying to say you just don't think they're as bad as some of the pics indicate. OK, new goal posts you've created now.

You and your "we'll see when people actually have it in their homes if this is a problem", and then your "why are no reviewers complaining about this" comments. So much nonsense.

I have a plasma, in day light with my curtains open and/or lights on my tv reflects damn near everything in my home, it makes it pretty much impossible to play a dark game. I do have black out curtains and I can turn off my lights though, and then I can appreciate my awesome tv and it's amazing black levels.

Unfortunately as far as we know, the light bar on the controller doesn't have an off switch, which will mean it will reflect quite a lot on my screen.

Yes, because the camera is tracking the light output of the dual shock 4. That's how it knows where it's located at all times. For example, in a light gun shooter sort of way.

However, that does not have anything to do with the TV reflecting the light itself, which it's doing the entire time they're demoing this thing. You didn't want to believe this whole thing was a real problem, so you chose to create your gather your own set of facts from watching that video, and that will often get you in trouble with the facts.
I'm guessing the fact that your whole living room is reflecting is going to be more of a problem, but I guess you have to fix one issue at a time.

OK, so now the reflections from the dual shock 4 do exist, and you can notice them in that video. Thanks for finally, kind of, admitting that. Now you're trying to say you just don't think they're as bad as some of the pics indicate. OK, new goal posts you've created now.

You and your "we'll see when people actually have it in their homes if this is a problem", and then your "why are no reviewers complaining about this" comments. So much nonsense.
I was always talking about the original alien demo screenshots, and that video; I initially didn't see any problem and you didn't point anything out that would make me think there was one.

However, thanks go to cakefoo for actually pointing out the issue from the video. I'm sorry I didn't just take your word for it based on your experiences with the PS3 LED.

It still won't affect me as I don't have a reflective TV, but I'll repeat for the 6th time, there should be a way to turn off the light anyway.

If you honestly think it's a deal breaker then I'd hold off on buying a PS4 until you can see it in person or until they patch something in.

VanWinkle

Another question I have to you guys who are "complaining" (that sounds negative but I don't mean it that way) about this issue: are you NOTICING the light bar reflection, or are you LOOKING for it? The reason I ask is this: this thread was bumped to show the reflection of the light bar in an off-screen video of a game being played. I watched this video BEFORE that picture and did not ONCE notice that light. It's actually the same in that Playtroom demo. I didn't notice it before somebody brought it up. I feel like some reflections you don't really notice if you aren't paying attention to the reflections but instead the game on the display.

Note that this isn't to belittle the issue, but rather a discussion about it.

I'm guessing the fact that your whole living room is reflecting is going to be more of a problem, but I guess you have to fix one issue at a time.

Please read my post, I assume he would have the same 'issue' I have, since it's a pretty standard for a plasma.

I have a plasma, in day light with my curtains open and/or lights on my tv reflects damn near everything in my home, it makes it pretty much impossible to play a dark game. I do have black out curtains and I can turn off my lights though, and then I can appreciate my awesome tv and it's amazing black levels.

Unfortunately as far as we know, the light bar on the controller doesn't have an off switch, which will mean it will reflect quite a lot on my screen.

cakefoo

You DO know what TRACKING means, right? The PS Eye is always "tracking the light" whether it's an augmented reality feed or GPU-rendered graphics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9ZrWHwTLPY

Why would they feel the need to draw TWO lightbars in this scene, one miniature? LOL.

Seriously, just watch the video and focus on the colored dots (they're called reflections, by the way). You'll see a blue one and red one for the two controllers, and a couple yellow ones from the room lighting. Deny all you want.

You DO know what TRACKING means, right? The PS Eye is always "tracking the light" whether it's an augmented reality feed or GPU-rendered graphics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9ZrWHwTLPY

Why would they feel the need to draw TWO lightbars in this scene, one miniature? LOL.

Seriously, just watch the video and focus on the colored dots (they're called reflections, by the way). You'll see a blue one and red one for the two controllers, and a couple yellow ones from the room lighting. Deny all you want.
I have a hard time distinguishing what the camera is picking up and what's a reflection. Fuck me, right?

There must be better examples that don't involve a recording camera, why not just use those instead? The alien tech demo pictures are bad examples.

Please read my post, I assume he would have the same 'issue' I have, since it's a pretty standard for a plasma.
And yeah, I understand that and it sucks, that's why I keep saying there should be an option to turn the light off regardless of if the majority don't see it as an issue.

Another question I have to you guys who are "complaining" (that sounds negative but I don't mean it that way) about this issue: are you NOTICING the light bar reflection, or are you LOOKING for it? The reason I ask is this: this thread was bumped to show the reflection of the light bar in an off-screen video of a game being played. I watched this video BEFORE that picture and did not ONCE notice that light. It's actually the same in that Playtroom demo. I didn't notice it before somebody brought it up. I feel like some reflections you don't really notice if you aren't paying attention to the reflections but instead the game on the display.

Note that this isn't to belittle the issue, but rather a discussion about it.

A lot of the time I don't notice the current little red dual shock3 light. It's definitely small enough that sometimes you just forget about it.

The lightbar on the dual shock4 is quite a bit larger though, and in certain games it will change colours to show health and other things like that, which will make it much more noticeable.

In a dark room a reflective TV is no problem at all, UNLESS you've got a large light on your controller that is constantly being reflected on the TV.

A lot of the time I don't notice the current little red dual shock3 light. It's definitely small enough that sometimes you just forget about it.

The lightbar on the dual shock4 is quite a bit larger though, and in certain games it will change colours to show health and other things like that, which will make it much more noticeable.

This is exactly right.

The lightbar is the dumbest fucking thing I have ever seen on a controller and believe me i've seen it all (including Jaguar's controller). Whoever designed the PS4 controller is an idiot and mark my words there will be a redesign by 2016.

Top Bottom