• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 lightbar can't be turned off

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It's definitely a minor annoyance for me as my Panasonic LED LCD TV has a pretty glossy/reflective screen.

I have to shut the blinds to use it during the day, and usually just keep the lamps off at night, so I could see the lightbar being annoying.

Has no impact on me getting a PS4 by any means. But I hope they patch it eventually so it can be turned off as I'll never buy the camera.

Doesn't seem so bad to me. I usually just have the controller on my lap. Most of the light will probably be occluded by my pants and legs.

not bad to me either. no one really knows until they try it for themselves. this will not effect me cause my chair has a little incline..and even if it doesnt who plays games pointing the controller directly at the tv as in the picture above. i know i don't.

DedValve

Banned
I can't believe Sony would be so arrogant. Its this type of behavior why I can't trust the company, at least Microsoft is more sincere and owns up to their actions.

Madness

It's just a genuinely stupid decision though. Most of us have televisions that are now made of glass or have shiny screens (plasma, LED, even newer LCD).

It'll be reflecting right in front. It serves as more of a hindrance than a benefit. What a dumb decision to not allow it to be turned off.

I'll be gaming alone 99% of the time, I don't care about color coded controllers.

Avtomat

32 pages damn .....................

Is black tape that expensive these days? On the other hand if it becomes an annoyance could Sony not issue a firmware update allowing you to either turn it off or reduce its brightness unless you have the PSEye on.

Seems a relatively minor concern.

Madness

32 pages damn .....................

Is black tape that expensive these days? On the other hand if it becomes an annoyance could Sony not issue a firmware update allowing you to either turn it off or reduce its brightness unless you have the PSEye on.

Seems a relatively minor concern.

Yeah let's buy cutting edge electronics technology and then ruin it with sticky ane cheap tape. It is an annoyance more than a benefit to a lot of people. You'll always have this piercing blue light in front of the screen.

Sony is ridiculous for not thinking people might want to turn that shit off. Especially since they allow us to turn those lights off on televisions so we can watch in the dark.

bebop242

I don't understand why its always on. Isn't it useless unless you have the camera? Can't they shut it off when it detects there is no camera plugged in? I don't see the point. Def not a deal breaker tho, just an annoyance.

synce

I don't see the fuss. I have both glossy and matte LCDs, I don't notice the DS3's red light on either one.

Actually the one thing I find stupid about the DS4's light is that you can't even see it since it's on the back of the controller. And who thought it was a good idea to replace number indicators with random colors?

kasane

I don't understand why its always on. Isn't it useless unless you have the camera? Can't they shut it off when it detects there is no camera plugged in? I don't see the point. Def not a deal breaker tho, just an annoyance.

The light bar can detect life forms and make images of your reflections. Sony bastards they were with the NSA all along.

Alej

Banned
People willrealize as soon as they have the console than the light seen in the video where enhanced by filming and digital treatment of the cam.

You definitely notice something if you concentrate on it if you have a glossy tv (like me) in your room but not while playing. It's not distracting at all, otherwise i wouldn't be able to play the day with all the reflection there is on mine.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I guess I need to cancel my PS4 pre-order?

Weren't you the one who said you're getting an Xbone and not PS4 right now? When did that change to PS4 as well? Not that it matters but they were your words, not mine. I don't have the energy to dig through your post history.

I can't believe Sony would be so arrogant. Its this type of behavior why I can't trust the company, at least Microsoft is more sincere and owns up to their actions.

I can't tell if this is serious or sarcasm.

Flatline

Banned
Yeah let's buy cutting edge electronics technology and then ruin it with sticky ane cheap tape. It is an annoyance more than a benefit to a lot of people. You'll always have this piercing blue light in front of the screen.

Sony is ridiculous for not thinking people might want to turn that shit off. Especially since they allow us to turn those lights off on televisions so we can watch in the dark.

How do you "ruin" something with tape? Is it special acid tape?

cakefoo

I don't see the fuss. I have both glossy and matte LCDs, I don't notice the DS3's red light on either one.
Well, the light bar is a LOT bigger.

Z539ISK.jpg

Also, here's Dead Space Extraction on PS Move:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBtXsXZo87Q

Better get used to taping your controllers for darker games.

Avtomat

Ruin it, its tape it comes off without damaging the plastic.

Regardless the reasoning behind it seems to indicate it is a way to distinguish control pads and guage where each player is in relation to the camera. The Dualshock 3 has an LED on the top of the controller to indicate which player is assigned this controller, this seems to be a more robust way of achieving that and allowing the PS Eye to guage where you are in relation to other players itself / the TV.

My guess is they will stick an option in of enabling the LED when its needed in a firmware update or at least dimming the light so it does not reflect so much of your TV's.

vpance

Using vinyl might be a better option instead of tape. It's stays on pretty well, is removed easily and leaves no residue. But that light is bright enough to easily shine through one layer of vinyl, so glue or tape something thicker on top of it, like a small piece of cardboard or that nasty electrical tape.

Well considering the light is there so it can be tracked by a camera thats below or above your tv, I would assume that the light will be directed at the screen.

Also, plasma TVs are glass, and a lot of high end LCDs use a glossy screen as well, since it more cleanly allows the colours from the TVs pixels to permeate the screen with less reduction to the visual quality.

From what I remember from optics

the way the light reflection would work in this case, you would definitely have a narrow area in which you would have to position your controller and the TV, no matter how reflective, in order to see the reflection. This area is very narrow and requires you to be either close to the TV, your controller high enough to be directly across the TV, or the TV low enough to be across from the device. It's not focused or bright enough to reflect from the device unless you're close enough to the TV. Then you have several other factors once the controller is across from it like the distance and angle between your eyes and the controller. That's probably a good reason why a camera what is at an angle away from the player and the TV gets a brief glance of the light reflection for a brief moment but loses it later. Well, that and cameras pick up such lights a bit easier.

I'm just saying its a very, very, very situational thing to make a fuss over.

Put me in #TeamTape. Slightly annoying, and I'd turn it off if I had the option, but I've got a bunch of things with annoying bright LEDs on them that are fixed with a little electric tape.

If you're worried about gooey residue after a few years just get some Goo Gone or something that makes it easy to clean.

KoopaTheCasual

Probably the same marketing dope who thought having the bright blue light on the Vita always being on with no way to turn it off was also a good idea.

Theres really no defense for this. Not having the option to turn it off in system settings is completely ridiculous.

The problem is, it's not useless anymore. In Killzone, we already see that the lightbar is meant to minimize your hud by being an indication of your health meter. (It's really dumb tho, since the light isn't facing your face, and you'd have to avert attention from the screen just to see it. Literally makes very little logical sense)

Either way, if it's already being built into first party games, it's only going to be a nuisance for devs to modify the hud/mechanics around it, once it's already in place. =/

If anyone was around here when this thread began, you will notice we are now having the same exact arguments we had 2 months ago when this was created. The fact this thread had to be dug up is pretty ridiculous.

Nothing has changed, you cannot turn it off, but devs can. If you don't like it and/or don't want to use electrical tape then don't buy a PS4.

the way the light reflection would work in this case, you would definitely have a narrow area in which you would have to position your controller and the TV, no matter how reflective, in order to see the reflection. This area is very narrow and requires you to be either close to the TV, your controller high enough to be directly across the TV, or the TV low enough to be across from the device. It's not focused or bright enough to reflect from the device unless you're close enough to the TV. Then you have several other factors once the controller is across from it like the distance and angle between your eyes and the controller. That's probably a good reason why a camera what is at an angle away from the player and the TV gets a brief glance of the light reflection for a brief moment but loses it later. Well, that and cameras pick up such lights a bit easier.

I have a 50inch TV, and I sit roughly 7feet away from the centre of the screen, with my head positioned directly in the centre of the screen. Im perfectly within the optimal range of where I should be sitting.

I personally already notice the DS3 little red light in certain games, its not deal breaker, but sometimes it is a little annoying, a much larger light that changes colours, is more likely to become an issue. So I cant really understand how sitting in the optimal spot in front of your television with a TV thats glossy (like all plasmas and a lot of high end LCDs are) is "very, very, very situational".

Im not trying to convince you that this will be a problem for you, Im just trying to say this will be a problem for me, and quite likely a lot of other people out there.

My Bravia screen has a matte finish, and it was still quite noticeable playing Resident Evil 5 with the PSMove.

The light bar on the DS4 looks like it'll create less light, but on a glossy screen, I can imagine it obscuring important details onscreen. In a dark game like(some of) that one, It can be interfering with gameplay.

If it's a big problem, and people complain loudly enough, I'm sure an option to disable it will be added down the line.

That is f***in bright, lol. Is it so hard for Sony to make an off switch in the PS4 menu?

EDIT: I like it though. But I don't want it to affect my battery or screen.

Weren't you the one who said you're getting an Xbone and not PS4 right now? When did that change to PS4 as well? Not that it matters but they were your words, not mine. I don't have the energy to dig through your post history.

I don't recall saying that. I've had both pre-ordered since around E3. Not sure why you're trying it make this about me, unless you're trying to divert attention away from this topic.....

Mindlog

The light itself is of very, very, very situational use.

You know, maybe a 32 page thread IS overkill for a light...

but what's more crazy to me is just how defensive people get that the light isn't an issue. "Stop talking about this guys, it's not an issue, seriously another page, guys STOP. Seriously you'll complain about anything, it's not an issue stop stop stop!"

kick51

Banned
Electronics, especially long term use ones like a game system, just shouldn't have extra sounds and lights that the user can't disable. That's the company being an asshole and not giving you the option because reasons.

AzerPhire

Unfortunately you have to if the light bothers you so much.

Or you know Sony could give us the option of turning it off? Putting tape on pricey electronics is extremely ghetto.

It is so crazy that people defend this. It is not something that needs defending! It's not like its Xbox fans coming in here and complaining and bad mouthing the system, the people that want this option are going to BUY a PS4 and want to enjoy their system without a glaring colored light on the screen.

Look at the new Killzone TGS thread and you can see a great picture with a nice green reflection in it. That is going to be so nice to have on the screen all the time.

Lace

It's definitely a minor annoyance for me as my Panasonic LED LCD TV has a pretty glossy/reflective screen.

I have to shut the blinds to use it during the day, and usually just keep the lamps off at night, so I could see the lightbar being annoying.

Has no impact on me getting a PS4 by any means. But I hope they patch it eventually so it can be turned off as I'll never buy the camera.

I was just about to post this. I kept telling myself the light bar wouldn't be an issue but when I noticed the led on my PS3 controller waving to me while playing GTA I lost faith.

TheContact

While I don't think this is going to particularly annoy me, it does seem stupid that you aren't able to turn it off. Wasted battery life etc

Top Bottom