• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dualshock 4 unboxing

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm this works on PC right? He dpad on my xbox controller just broke.

My GS just got them this morning so if your store doesn't have them yet call back this afternoon after they do all their receiving. They are prob sitting in boxes in the back room.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Have you tried with a game that uses the traditional xbox settings? Does "A" just map to the "X" button, etc? Also you do have to have it plugged in, yes? No Bluetooth?

Hmm, maybe I will get one. It will need to be my primary controller though.

If I buy one right now, can I use it to play PC games? I want to have a feel for it already, so I was going up buy it, but I don't have a PS3 to use it on.

Orayn

Hmm this works on PC right? He dpad on my xbox controller just broke.

It works on PC as a generic DirectInput controller. It won't work for games that only support XInput, the Xbox 360 controller protocol.

At least not until someone makes an XInput Wrapper or confirms that it's compatible with x360ce, which still doesn't work for certain games.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It works on PC as a generic DirectInput controller. It won't work for games that only support XInput, the Xbox 360 controller protocol.

At least not until someone makes an XInput Wrapper or confirms that it's compatible with x360ce, which still doesn't work for certain games.
Seems like a bad idea to rely on it as my main controller, but it's so new and shiny,

Miguel81

I hope this controller makes a killing in the pc market and gets us back to directinput. Microsoft tried to corner the market with their api.

btkadams

i need to know when amazon uk will start shipping them. i'll be ordering a blue controller from them to ship to canada if they ship before launch.

So, it works with PC but it won't work with a game like Arkham City right out the box without using MotionJoy or something. Shame, was hoping Sony would release some official drivers to have this playing with a lot of my games on Steam etc...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just got one.
65$ for a controller and 22 for a 6 foot USB cable eeeww what he I done?

Miguel81

So, it works with PC but it won't work with a game like Arkham City right out the box without using MotionJoy or something. Shame, was hoping Sony would release some official drivers to have this playing with a lot of my games on Steam etc...

Have you tried x360ce?
http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

So no stores in the US have it yet?

Most of the east coast seems to no have any in stock. Check here:
http://www.gamestop.com/browse/storesearch.aspx?sku=803723

Tsundere

Banned
I'll check it out

I'd still like to know why Sony refuses to release official drivers for this thing. They never bothered with the DS3. Hard to imagine it will be any different with the DS4.

It works right our of the box on the Operating System, why are you talking about drivers? The Operating system detects it fine and almost all the inputs (except sixaxis and touchpad glide).

If you're talking about compatibility with the games, that's because the game doesn't recognize the controller and doesn't have a map for it.

Storm360

I'll check it out

I'd still like to know why Sony refuses to release official drivers for this thing. They never bothered with the DS3. Hard to imagine it will be any different with the DS4.

Its not drivers that's the issue, its the API that the games use.

NevaNopa

Just stopped by the gamestop by my house to see it they had any in stock. The guy working there said they did, but they got an internal communication in today saying they can't be sold until the 15th :(

It works right our of the box on the Operating System, why are you talking about drivers? The Operating system detects it fine and almost all the inputs (except sixaxis and touchpad glide).

If you're talking about compatibility with the games, that's because the game doesn't recognize the controller and doesn't have a map for it.

I wonder something will be done with that :-\

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
OMG this thing is so sexy. Just plugged it in the light turned orange and my pc popped up saying it was good to go.

Miguel81

OMG this thing is so sexy. Just plugged it in the light turned orange and my pc popped up saying it was good to go.

Have you tried getting bluetooth to work? I know the controller is 2.1+EDR.

Another poster got bluetooth error 0x80070015

I wonder something will be done with that :-\

Sony need to release a more complete driver as this one right now as basic as it gets, hell even the motioninjoy driver lets you use sixaxis.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
LOL I probably shouldn't have bought this right now. I'm sure in a few weeks it'll be ok but LOL Pacman and Eldritch don't work out of the box.

FEZ and Rogue Legacy work perfectly though. Its a very nice controller. And Steam Big Picture mode doesn't activate when you press the Playstation button.

wrE2Ah6.jpg

Here it is

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I've never used this xbox360ce application before? Any tips?

ckohler

That settles it, I'm going to check a few local GameStops after work. I want to hold this controller so bad, I'll buy it early if I can.

The Lamp

I need people to talk about if the light bar distracts during gameplay. Or does it not turn on even when connected to PS3?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So far I can't see the light bar being bright enough to bother anyone. Unless something weird is going on and its only displaying at 50% or brightness or something.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, so far I'm having no luck with XboxCE.

Snake201

Neo Member
Great video

Even though i'm picking up an Xbox One this November, this video got me very excited for the future of gaming.

It's here guys! It's here!!

ng2CT.gif

majorscud

Anyone find one in central Florida? I've called around and all of my Gamestop stores are saying they've been told they can't sell them until the "pre-order party" on November 10th.

Qwell

Woots, called a Gamestop close by and they have them, omw to pick one up and try it with GTA 5 online :)

edit: for anyone wondering, it looks like the Portland, OR area is stocked

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
i guess lets see what this made of. The triggers aren't up to par with the 360. Definitely. The trackpad feels slightly cheap.

wizzbang

Banned
Windows 8.1 finds the device as a Bluetooth Controller but is unable to pair (I tried once, will try a few more things in a bit).

Windows 8.1 also detects the following buttons (in the Controller Settings in Control Panel):
  • D-pad Up
  • D-pad Left
  • D-pad Down
  • D-pad Right
  • Left Analog
  • Left Analog Click
  • Right Analog
  • Right Analog Click
  • X
  • △
  • □
  • O
  • Left Shoulder
  • Left Trigger
  • Right Shoulder
  • Right Trigger
  • Share Button
  • Options Button
  • Trackpad Click
  • PS Button Click
The only thing not being detected is the trackpad "tracking". The sensitivity of the analogs is VERY high, they are very tight, and the slightest touch causes a registered signal.

This sounds extremely positive, 9/10'ths of the controller is good to go. Just need a driver which is sixaxis, bluetooth and touchpad capable.
Bonus points if the motioninjoy 2.0 driver for it supports the headset functionality too (I doubt it)

Top Bottom