• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dualshock 4 unboxing

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I already can't imagine any game using the trackpad in earnest. Its definitely good as "two buttons" and I can maybe just maybe see someone using it as a sort of analogue trackpad with only one linear direction like maybe to shift gears in a car or something. But this is definitely a feature that nobody is going to use. Even in the UI, its just too small and out of the way. Hmm, maybe as a sort lean or something it could be useful. Its definitely the weirdest/oddest thing about the controller.

jbr5zBvgyeCAqp.jpg

KoopaTheCasual

I need people to talk about if the light bar distracts during gameplay. Or does it not turn on even when connected to PS3?

I don't own the controller yet, but I went to the Sony store the other day to try them out. Idk what happened, but the light from the controller is much duller now, than it was in the earlier videos. Perhaps they heard the negative feedback and dialed back the brightness a tad. I even held it up to the screen (1 foot away) while playing and I couldn't see the reflection. But of course i was playing in a well lit store. Hope someone reports back with a lights off experience.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking into getting Bluetooth going, I have to install the drivers for my motherboard since I never did that.

Qwell

Gggrrr... DS4 doesn't seem to work with GTA 5, I was able to navigate the XMB and select the game, but can't move my character at all or anything.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Don't get your hopes up. Someone else already said it doesn't work. I don't recommend buying. It's exciting but functionally not that great. Luckily some 2d action games I'm really into support it, but even then you have to be plugged in.

Dpad is killer though and the joysticks are nice. The buttons underneath the joysticks are amazing.

Hmm, if somehow they could emulate the iPhone typing/keyboard sector prediction I could really see typing on the touchpad. It'd have to be some Real magic though.

Five

Banned
I'm not having much luck with x-input, even with x360ce, but that possibly stems from my x360ce naivete. I can get x360ce to read the inputs just fine, but not pass them through for a program needing x-input to read. With d-input, it's completely functional but some of the inputs are labeled wrong. Square is 1 and Cross is 2, for example. Both of the thumbsticks are upside down, and right thumbstick is axes 3 and 6, while axes 4 and 5 are the triggers.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm strictly speaking about *right now* I only bought this because I already needed a new controller.

Miguel81

Don't get your hopes up. Someone else already said it doesn't work. I don't recommend buying. It's exciting but functionally not that great. Luckily some 2d action games I'm really into support it, but even then you have to be plugged in.

Dpad is killer though and the joysticks are nice. The buttons underneath the joysticks are amazing.

Hmm, if somehow they could emulate the iPhone typing/keyboard sector prediction I could really see typing on the touchpad. It'd have to be some Real magic though.

Yeah, I'm using DS3 right now with Motioninjoy/BetterDS3. Just have that new controller itch.

Sony could make a killing with this thing on PC if it supports it properly.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The lightbar is cool. Its seriously very dull.

Not that I expected it to work because of power and all, but sadly it doesn't work when pluged into the Apple Keyboard.

Kibbles

I just went to Gamestop and asked if they had them and I he went back and got me one. I'm a 360 owner, don't have a PS3 so I can't use it on that. First impressions it feels really nice. I was worried about the triggers since I saw someone saying it has very little throw or whatever, but it feels about the same as the 360 controller. They do seem lower/angled lower. The triggers feel good resting in hand, but as I'm sitting here testing out rapidly tapping them, my hands feel more comfortable on the 360 controller to be honest. The thumbsticks feel good and click nicely. Though they are symmetrical, just toying around with it in my hand it feels fine to me. I'll try to get it working on PC and play around, but my worries about it for FPS games are gone. I don't have a DS3 to compare it to but it feels good in the hands with how wide it is and the longer grips. The back is definitely still texturized. It's just the same standard plastic in gray and doesn't feel any different-material wise. It's just got that very slight texture feel to make it more grippy than the front.

So yeah, just wanted to reassure people coming from a perspective of a Xbox-only player, it feels good :p

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just played a bit of Rogue Legacy. This thing is great. The Dpad is very tight.

Qwell

Ok so I learned a few things, 1 I really suck at Call of Duty on PS3 now, I haven't really played one multiplayer for any length of time since CoD4 (I play them on PC and just for single player now)

Saints Row 3 and GTA 5 don't seem to work, in Saints Row 3 it recognizes the analog stick, but no buttons, GTA 5 I can't do anything.

Motorstorm plays very well, CoD does play well I just suck at it, Killzone 2 same thing. I really like the controller, I mostly play 360 controller on the PC, and PS3 exclusives like Last of Us, Uncharted series, InFamous etc.

I have tried it sitting in front of my 55" Panasonic Plasma, and the light bar is currently a slowly strobing orange. I also have some blue LED lights on my computer that do reflect in the TV and can be noticed a bit during gameplay. What I can say is the orange lightbar on the controller really only shows up on a full black screen. During Killzone 2, COD Blops, and Motorstorm I couldn't see it during gameplay, and I was looking.

Overall I'm very happy with the controller, triggers work well for shooters, and racing games. Still need to try some 2D side scroller and a fighting game with it. But can't wait to get my PS4 and play some Killzone SF on it.

Stimpack

Does the DS4 work with Ouya?

Yes, but only basic functionality and the buttons are assigned awkwardly.

3 hours. 4 stores. 3 cities. 1 PS4 controller. I finally got it, and it is wonderful.

The thing that really pissed me off is that the first GameStop I called told me EXACTLY this. "Yeah, we have them in stock and they are for sale." I got there and they told me they wouldn't sell them to me unless I had a pre-order. That's something they really should have told me over the phone, and it had me running around for hours. What a joke.

That said, the other GameStop employees that I talked to were exceptionally nice and very helpful.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It is incredibly strange using the Playstation Dpad/button configuration after such a long time. It feels incredible for lots of these PC games I'm playing. Luckily I've been playing a lot of adult swim games and they all work seamlessly. Really sad Pacmancedx+ seems require some extra configuration.

Miguel81

From the other thread
Hi Guys,

Got my controller working wireless via Bluetooth on my PC.

To put the unit in pairing mode you hold Share button (first) + PS button, the unit will start double blinking white LED.

You should then be able to find it under "Add BT Devices".

All buttons function and can be mapped however you want.

Triggers are also still analog (not sure that was known).

Maxy

Banned
For you guys who've tested playing an FPS with it: Would you say the triggers on par with the 360 controller? I'm mainly asking about comfort.

I bought the Gioteck Real Triggers for my PS3 but still it was much more comfortable to use L1 and L2 for shooting imo.

EDIT: Asked in impressions thread instead

Tain

I can add it as a bluetooth device but it disappears immediately after. Still, really cool that it's even recognizable.

Yes, but only basic functionality and the buttons are assigned awkwardly.

3 hours. 4 stores. 3 cities. 1 PS4 controller. I finally got it, and it is wonderful.

The thing that really pissed me off is that the first GameStop I called told me EXACTLY this. "Yeah, we have them in stock and they are for sale." I got there and they told me they wouldn't sell them to me unless I had a pre-order. That's something they really should have told me over the phone, and it had me running around for hours. What a joke.

That said, the other GameStop employees that I talked to were exceptionally nice and very helpful.

Thanks, and I'm glad you were able to eventually find one!

DogMeat77

Purchased.

jYa8Vnps76NlT.jpg

I'll write up my thoughts and post here in a bit. Just got home with it so I must treat this little lady to some PC and PS3 games first.

Haunted

The sooner this is out in the wild, the sooner someone writes fully functional PC drivers for it if Sony isn't capable (or willing).

So, this is good!

DrPreston

As soon as I can get my hands on one I will see about writing an Xinput wrapper so we can use this thing with newer PC games that expect an Xbox 360 controller.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, I'm actually really fucking into the idea of scrolling lists on the trackpad. If they can get the physics tuned right so it'd feel like a modern computer the trackpad could actually be pretty awesome. If a little inconsequential. There is definitely use for it.

War Thunder already has the DS4 prompts on Steam. I'm hoping we see more of this from here on out.

Ha! Nice! I never did check that out.

Five

Banned
Hmm, I'm actually really fucking into the idea of scrolling lists on the trackpad. If they can get the physics tuned right so it'd feel like a modern computer the trackpad could actually be pretty awesome. If a little inconsequential. There is definitely use for it.

Yeah, it'd be nice for that to become standard instead of maybe it's L-stick, maybe the d-pad, maybe it's R-stick or maybe it's a combination of triggers and shoulder buttons.

Valnen

War Thunder already has the DS4 prompts on Steam. I'm hoping we see more of this from here on out.

Hoping that becomes the norm as well. I modded Dark Souls and RE6 just to have Playstation button prompts. I like having the right button prompts in my games.

I'm assuming this controller should work fine in Xinput games as well using a wrapper.

Top Bottom