• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ducktales premiere date - Movie 8/12 + Series 9/23

el jacko

"He thinks he's sooo rich an so SCOTTISH, well I'm wearing a kilt, McDuck, aaaa kiiiilllt!!!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I'm kind of hoping it's all a ruse, and he's faking all the Scottish tropes, and he's actually South African.

Of course they couldn't do it responsibly without having to address apartheid-era ill-gotten riches, which might be too daring for a Disney tv show.

Feffe

Pretty sure Duckburg has always been located on the West Coast, so Goofy Movie definitely does not take place there. I assume Goofy Movie moved them to the East Coast specifically for the plot device of them needing to drive across the country for the concert. If they just drove down the coast it wouldn't have been the same at all.
Yes you're right. Forgot about the whole coast-to-coast, lol.

Anyway in Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas and Twice Upon a Christmas Goofy and Max live in the same city as Mickey, Donald and Scrooge, but I don't remember if the name "Duckburg" is mentioned.

just watched it.

I loved every single aspect. I guess the only thing I'm hoping for in the future is that Donald is shown a bit more competent, similar to how Scrooge is.

Platy

[edit]

Also .. saw it. It is amazing. So many references and nods and love all over the place ! =D

[/edit]

New avatar get.

IlRnV7l.png

Pratically the duck version of Ruby Rose's last roles

"He thinks he's sooo rich an so SCOTTISH, well I'm wearing a kilt, McDuck, aaaa kiiiilllt!!!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm kind of hoping it's all a ruse, and he's faking all the Scottish tropes, and he's actually South African.

Of course they couldn't do it responsibly without having to address apartheid-era ill-gotten riches, which might be too daring for a Disney tv show.

According to interviews, that South-African-pretending-to-be-Scottish version of Glomgold is pretty much true. His own persona is a cheap knock-off of somebody else.

Source (contains future characters, so possible spoilers if you want to stay in the dark): http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/08/ducktales-exclusive-characters-cast/

[Co-producer Francisco] Angones says, “Glomgold is bigger, faster, and cheaper. An in-joke we had for him was that originally in the comics, he was South African, and then they made him Scottish in [the original] DuckTales, so we really leaned into that and decided that when Glomgold saw that Scrooge was a Scottish billionaire, he decided to be the cheap knock-off. More Scottish and even richer.”

PrankT

I actually (ashamedly) left out Darkwing from my list but according to that, like every cartoon Disney ever made became part of Disney Afternoon EXCEPT Wuzzles. BOOOOOOO Wuzzles has been cheated!!

*begins crusade to reboot Wuzzles*
I'll second that motion.

Hazmat

That's interesting that Glomgold was originally South African. I guess it made sense to sidestep that in the late 1980's for a kid's cartoon.

Platy

I'll tell him that 😂. Though apparently storyboarding does not pay too well especially if your freelance

Which reminds me, Emmy Cicierega is also doing the storyboards and she is awesome

https://twitter.com/EmmyCic/status/896235677700030464

She also looks like the type of person that would have done for free xD

https://twitter.com/EmmyCic/status/880829350962237442
https://twitter.com/EmmyCic/status/864937602763378688
https://twitter.com/EmmyCic/status/777940379408670720

Spoo

Finished watching the first episode of this. Took a *lot* of time getting used to Scrooge and the kids voices.

Pretty good writing. Actually funny. Love the animation. Seems like this will be a great revival.

I'll tell him that 😂. Though apparently storyboarding does not pay too well especially if your freelance

I don't know what the freelance rates are but the last time I checked, union rates for board revisionists was something like $1200-1500 a week. And board artists make more than revisionists, IIRC. So if $4-6K+ a month is "not paying too well" then sign me the fuck up to not get paid too well please!

Is this airing in Canada, and is there any way to watch this if I missed it?

Very glad impressions are positive!

Try looking on iTunes. Search "DuckTales" and the series itself comes up ($30 US), but if you click on the actual episode it'll take you to its own page and if it's anything like it in the the US, "Woo-ooo" should show up as free.

Ristifer

Try looking on iTunes. Search "DuckTales" and the series itself comes up ($30 US), but if you click on the actual episode it'll take you to its own page and if it's anything like it in the the US, "Woo-ooo" should show up as free.
Unfortunately, it's not free up here. It's $1.99 for SD and $2.99 for HD as of now. Still not much money, but would be nice for free!

It shows as free to me but when I try to download it says it is not available anymore.

It shows as free to me but when I try to download it says it is not available anymore.

Huh... I might have been one of the last people in the world it worked for then. I spotted the original post on it being available for free here in the thread and immediately picked up the episode for free (I'm moving to Japan in a couple of months, so I might as well have some cartoons to watch on the flight over in case I end up being seated next to any kids- don't think it's a good idea to be watching something like Mulholland Drive if I'm sitting next to a 5 year old or whatever). Five minutes later, everyone else was posting that it wasn't working for them.

I wonder what's up with that? Was it a glitch or something?

EDIT: Also, I was rewatching the episode on iTunes with subtitles and noticed a hilarious detail in the second half.
When Launchpad starts babbling to Mrs Beakley in Swedish in his snake venom-induced state to back up Webby's lie, he even refers back to the fake name Webby provided for her friend "Subina" earlier in the episode.

Elwainen

I don't know what the freelance rates are but the last time I checked, union rates for board revisionists was something like $1200-1500 a week. And board artists make more than revisionists, IIRC. So if $4-6K+ a month is "not paying too well" then sign me the fuck up to not get paid too well please!

well i just asked him about it and it wasn't the pay but a bunch of other stuff. just know that in seeking to answer the wonderings of gaf, i received several walls of text tirading against the show runners and the animation industry in general. way to much to post here

Robin64

Anyone know my options in the UK?

Edit: Never mind. I used a YouTube grabber to nab the link below and convert it to mp4.

Rootbeer

Banned
Full premiere is uploaded on the Disney XD youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP0Neif7Y4E

Also, link to free iTunes version since it was mentioned earlier:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/woo-oo/id1262090276?i=1262153703

PLEASE NOTE if you intend on buying the season and not only downloading the free 1 hr premiere... iTunes often breaks seasons in half. So I bet the $30 'season' they are selling only includes the premiere and roughly 10 episodes. They do this to make the seasons cheaper but it's still confusing if you're not used to it.

deleted

Isn't there a URL where I can watch content not available for my country on youtube anyway?

I've seen something like this here, but I can't find it anymore and it would be kind of important for this :p

Robin64

Isn't there a URL where I can watch content not available for my country on youtube anyway?

I've seen something like this here, but I can't find it anymore and it would be kind of important for this :p

Supposed to be able to replace "tube" with "pak", but it didn't work for this. I used peggo.tv to nab the file instead.

So does can this new Ducktales stand on its own or is it just "look at this cool reference"-kinda-stuff?

I liked the storytelling and the calm pacing of old Ducktales as opposed to many modern cartoons that just bombard you with jokes and clever references.

Rootbeer

Banned
So does can this new Ducktales stand on its own or is it just "look at this cool reference"-kinda-stuff?

I liked the storytelling and the calm pacing of old Ducktales as opposed to many modern cartoons that just bombard you with jokes and clever references.
Five pages of praise not enough for you to try it yourself when the ep is available for free through several venues?

Five pages of praise not enough for you to try it yourself when the ep is available for free through several venues?

I'll try to catch up with it after work, I'm just asking :D I mean, Rick & Morty gets awesome impressions everywhere and I see why people like it. Personally, I can't get behind that style of cartoons and stuff like Regular Show or Adventure Time.

deleted

Feels like it sets stuff up nicely - I've only watched the first half though.

Has some nice old-school cartoonish Donald rage stuff and Scrooge connecting with the kids. The kids themselves feel a lot more modern with different character traits and not too samey. The plot may be a bit rushed, but overall it feels more like it can stand on it's own than a completely self referential thing.

I guess they could dive into Rosa stuff, but right now, I don't see it. Feels more like Italian Duck comics. Rosa's stuff was meticulously researched and based in history. Even the stories that don't dive into Scrooges backstory. This feels a lot more fantastical with a reference thrown here or there.

Oh and was that Pete's wife at the job interview?

Tizoc

He IS South African, but he just wants to one up Scrooge.

Huge fan of the originals ; have watched half of this 1st episode. I've liked it more than I expected to (after previewing the shorts), but a few things are getting on my nerves (and are probably a big generational difference):

-The nephews' voices --- will never get used to them. Too different from the originals. If they are teenagers, then draw them as such, but if you draw them as the same size/age as the originals, then give them their original voices, or at least similar pitch level.

-The slapstick comedy has gotten to be a lot more over-the-top in the 3 decades that have passed since the originals --- not really a fan, but it is passable

- Biggest complaint so far, and the thing that makes it almost unwatchable to me: the grossly exaggerated emotions & speaking style. Everyone, especially the kids, seem to yell everything with in a grating, over-the-top way. Does this get on anyone else's nerves? The delivery style saturates my eardrums to the point of annoyance and drops my enthusiasm while watching it. This might be another big generational gap, but I don't understand the need for this delivery style. Kids will still be engaged in a show even if the characters aren't amped up to 11 and shouting at each other the whole time.

Things that I've liked: sense of adventure is still there, easter eggs from the originals (valley of the golden sun coin was great), new mrs. beakley, Launchpad is still pretty good.

I think it stands on its own. The pacing is a little faster and with a bit more gags in accordance with modern styles but it did not bother me and I still enjoyed it. I don't care for Tennant's Scrooge voice but it's sufficient enough to where I wasn't thinking about it by the end of the episode. Definitely worth watching.

Yazuka

I absolutely loved it! I was onboard since it's first reveal and it felt like I got a great reward. I want more now!

This was really good. I really like all the characters' personalities and the art and animation is very striking. I'll definitely make sure to watch this.

Yazuka

What did Launchpad try to say in swedish when he was under the influence of the snake venom?
As a Swede I had a very hard time hearing what he was trying to say. Something about Uncle Hampus, but then I can't really hear anymore.

Makonero

So so so good. Can't wait to see what the crew gets up to in the next ep. Bravo team, you've modernized DuckTales. This is likely the definitive version of the show/concept.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
PLEASE NOTE if you intend on buying the season and not only downloading the free 1 hr premiere... iTunes often breaks seasons in half. So I bet the $30 'season' they are selling only includes the premiere and roughly 10 episodes. They do this to make the seasons cheaper but it's still confusing if you're not used to it.

unsure.. $30 and a free episode likely means they are already pricing this for 12-14 episodes not including the premiere. How many episodes are we expecting from this season?

a full 24-26 episode season on a network show goes for $50 usually. At $30, I'm betting this is the full season.

Honestly and objectively? There is zero nostalgia propping this up. Unbelievably well written and acted, funny as hell, just plain great through and through. All nostalgia serves is icing on the cake for those of us who grew up on the original show and comics.

unsure.. $30 and a free episode likely means they are already pricing this for 12-14 episodes not including the premiere. How many episodes are we expecting from this season?

a full 24-26 episode season on a network show goes for $50 usually. At $30, I'm betting this is the full season.

Season 1 is comprised of 21 half-hour long episodes and 2 hour long specials (presumably the first of which is this premiere episode).

RK128

While it does have references to other Disney Afternoon shows (name-dropping locations for example) and visual nods to past Ducktales history...that's it really. The show feels like a blend of the classic 'spirit' of the original show and something not unlike Gravity Falls. Witty and sharp writing with a lot of powerful emotional moments.

Dewey, Donald and Scrooge specifically get a ton of emotion out of them at various points in the hour-long special. Donald here, is the best version of the character I've ever seen. And I'm a huge Disney fan (watched all the shorts growing up, played the Kingdom Hearts series and watched specials like 'Once Upon a Christmas'). He is not just 'anger issues and hard to understand'. Donald has a very powerful character, trying hard to be a good father figure to the nephews while dealing with his own stuff (looking for work and other stuff for example).

Scrooge is amazing, as he isn't very nice. He honestly is a bit of a jerk, but a loveable one at that. Dewey tries very hard to prove himself and values family a lot, which you see across the special.

The humor is fast and the voices are a bit loud sometimes. But it works due to having the past shows heart and spirit, in addition to being very well written and paced. Highly recommend you give the show a watch.

Hermii

I loved it and I just found out Im going to have to wait more than a month for more :(.

Disney why are you so evil!

Robin64

Superb. Heartwarming to see a reboot done like this. I'll be honest, it feels like more than a "reboot", it's a new thing that can easily stand on its own. It might be better than the original series.

Superb. Heartwarming to see a reboot done like this. I'll be honest, it feels like more than a "reboot", it's a new thing that can easily stand on its own. It might be better than the original series.
We're 1 hour special in, a bit early to make that call. But episode 1 definitely impressed.

Imho the nicer scrooge is my preference. And Donald having a bigger role is even better.

Top Bottom