• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ducktales premiere date - Movie 8/12 + Series 9/23

LQX

The artwork is amazing and refreshing. I love it so far. Can't understand a damn thing coming out of Donald's mouth though.

I really liked the premiere. I'll definitely keep an eye on the season once it starts up.

I knew that a couple of people from Gravity Falls were working on it, but I had no idea one of the showrunners was heavily involved with Transformers Animated.

jett

D-Member
This was nice. Seems more absurd than over the top than the original show but I guess that's a given.

Game Guru

So after having watched the premiere episode... I enjoyed this new version of DuckTales! It was a great first episode and felt like the Ducktales that I remember crossed with the Carl Barks' Uncle Scrooge comics. I'd say the biggest issue is the inability to understand Donald Duck when he says more complicated dialogue, which I believe was actually the reason why Donald Duck was replaced by Launchpad McQuack and Fenton Crackshell in the 1980s series. However, Donald Duck here is the perfect mix between the Classic Animated Donald and Carl Barks' Donald, so it works. I never really had any problem with the other voice actors, though perhaps that is because I've not watched the original Ducktales for so long. I even like David Tennent as Uncle Scrooge. Only one of the lines sounded off from the Uncle Scrooge I remember, but that can be forgiven as either a new actor just getting used to the role or just the fact that Tennent has an authentic Scottish accent. I also liked the lateral thinking that happened in this episode concerning the Jewel of Atlantis as that was something the Carl Barks' Uncle Scrooge comics were known for.

As a fan of the original cartoon, I enjoyed the new cartoon and am eager to watch more episodes of it. Scrooge McDuck is back!

Nephtes

I just watched the "movie" or first two episodes or whatever...
I have mixed feelings on the DuckTales reboot.

I love the art style and animation, especially the old time comic book print dot shading...
I love how they've given the nephews their own personalities...
I love how they seem to be building a continuity around the nephews' history... It reminds me of Gravity Falls in a good way.
I love the call backs to shows like TaleSpin (Cape Suzette)...

I hate the voices. Except for Webby.

The good far outweigh the bad, but I don't know if I'm ever going to be able to get over the voice work.

Here's hoping they grow on me...

error4041

Just watched the episodes they put on youtube, very enjoyable, nice mix of Gravity Falls and old Ducktales. The the whole garage scene and the dragon chase were great.

The issues with voice acting seems to be more of an issue with a weird purist attitude with any interpretation of the show.

The voices are fine. The voice acting is superb. Not everything needs to be people trying to recreate the original voice acting. Because it would lead to something like people non stop comparing how x voice actor sounds off compared to the original. Going a completely different route with voices is fine.

Just watched the premier of the new series and really liked it. Launch Pad got the biggest laughs from me, but really I can't find too much to nitpick. The nephews' voices are a little strange, but I got used to them pretty quick. It really helps that each character feels more defined than in the previous show.

Otherwise, I liked the pacing, art style, animation and am looking forward to seeing the rest of the episodes.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I just watched the "movie" or first two episodes or whatever...
I have mixed feelings on the DuckTales reboot.

I love the art style and animation, especially the old time comic book print dot shading...
I love how they've given the nephews their own personalities...
I love how they seem to be building a continuity around the nephews' history... It reminds me of Gravity Falls in a good way.
I love the call backs to shows like TaleSpin (Cape Suzette)...

I hate the voices. Except for Webby.

The good far outweigh the bad, but I don't know if I'm ever going to be able to get over the voice work.

Here's hoping they grow on me...
It's funny, when I watched the clips they released before the show premiered, I wasn't sure how I felt about the voice work. But for whatever reason, as I'm watching the episode, everything seemed to click. Maybe it was just seeing it all as one cohesive story and hearing everything in context. Either way, I'm already over the voices being different and now I'm ready to just enjoy the ride.

Rlan

It's funny, when I watched the clips they released before the show premiered, I wasn't sure how I felt about the voice work. But for whatever reason, as I'm watching the episode, everything seemed to click. Maybe it was just seeing it all as one cohesive story and hearing everything in context. Either way, I'm already over the voices being different and now I'm ready to just enjoy the ride.

I mean we could have gotten this.

Ok, I watched it...Oh well!

The good:

- The music is spot on! It really reminds me of the old series!
- David Tennant as the voice of Scrooge was a really good idea
- Uncle Scrooge generally is just as cool we know him in all of his scenes.

Meh:

- Donald's scenes were throwaway but at least he has potential.

The bad:

- The pacing and the way the general plot unfolds. Some ideas were good but it could have been so much more. I never had the feeling that anything was at stake here. Basically it's all backdrop for jokes and cheap lines. The episodes moved way to fast for their own good and ultimately felt pointless. There were one or two calm scenes (that ALMOST allowed for some character developement) and I really hope they concentrate more on those more in the future.
- The nephews. Fucking awful. They probably modeled them for the new generations of cynical and ironic kids with no attention span but I don't have to like it. I just wanted them to stop shouting with their annoying teen voices. Sassy and constantly unimpressed pricks.

Basically kill the kids and take your time telling your stories, please.

Really enjoyed the first two episodes, wouldnt have thought it would be on par with the original but until now they made a good job.

Wonder how the german translation will work out...

Two questions.

Is Donald suppose to be hard to understand like Kenny from South Park?

Is Lin Manuel Miranda confirmed to be Gizmo or is that just a goof on MBMBaM?

Rootbeer

Banned
I had no problems understanding Donald. Yeah, you have to pay a little more attention to him than other characters generally, but it's fine. Are the people having difficulty not native speakers?

NotLiquid

David Tennant as Scrooge is so great.

I overall love the voice talent of the show so far but I hope Donald becomes a little more eligible now that he's going to become a fixture in the show, especially with him having a bit of an expository role and not just comic relief.

I got a lot of Gravity Falls vibes from this so far - which is funny cause a lot of the same people worked on that show, and I also always got the sense that Gravity Falls was heavily inspired by DuckTales.

Glass Rebel

You can get the gist of what Donald is saying from the dialogue so I'm fine but depending on how important his role is, it might get a little too much.

The issue with Donald for me is that his speech volume seems to be 1/4 of everyone else.

Also I forgot David Tennant was voicing Scrooge thought it was Craig Ferguson at first.

So after having watched the premiere episode... I enjoyed this new version of DuckTales! It was a great first episode and felt like the Ducktales that I remember crossed with the Carl Barks' Uncle Scrooge comics. I'd say the biggest issue is the inability to understand Donald Duck when he says more complicated dialogue, which I believe was actually the reason why Donald Duck was replaced by Launchpad McQuack and Fenton Crackshell in the 1980s series. However, Donald Duck here is the perfect mix between the Classic Animated Donald and Carl Barks' Donald, so it works. I never really had any problem with the other voice actors, though perhaps that is because I've not watched the original Ducktales for so long. I even like David Tennent as Uncle Scrooge. Only one of the lines sounded off from the Uncle Scrooge I remember, but that can be forgiven as either a new actor just getting used to the role.or just the fact that Tennent has an authentic Scottish accent. I also liked the lateral thinking that happened in this episode concerning the Jewel of Atlantis as that was something the Carl Barks' Uncle Scrooge comics were known for.

As a fan of the original cartoon, I enjoyed the new cartoon and am eager to watch more episodes of it. Scrooge McDuck is back!

The original cartoon was more Banks. This new one is more Don Rosa, and the new mix is great, more than I expected it to be.

Two questions.

Is Lin Manuel Miranda confirmed to be Gizmo or is that just a goof on MBMBaM?

It was confirmed, but the story is hilarious. I just listened to the beginning of the latest MBMBaM and it was just an insanely lucky guess. Justin (or Travis?) suggested Lin Manuel for GizmoDuck on the podcast after Disney announced the reboot. He later got a text from Lin (since he's a huge fan of the podcast and they've become friends) basically saying "Ok, who the fuck told you?!" This was months before Lin's casting was announced, but Lin had already signed on to play Gizmo.

Ok, I watched it...Oh well!

The good:

- The music is spot on! It really reminds me of the old series!
- David Tennant as the voice of Scrooge was a really good idea
- Uncle Scrooge generally is just as cool we know him in all of his scenes.

Meh:

- Donald's scenes were throwaway but at least he has potential.

The bad:

- The pacing and the way the general plot unfolds. Some ideas were good but it could have been so much more. I never had the feeling that anything was at stake here. Basically it's all backdrop for jokes and cheap lines. The episodes moved way to fast for their own good and ultimately felt pointless. There were one or two calm scenes (that ALMOST allowed for some character developement) and I really hope they concentrate more on those more in the future.
- The nephews. Fucking awful. They probably modeled them for the new generations of cynical and ironic kids with no attention span but I don't have to like it. I just wanted them to stop shouting with their annoying teen voices. Sassy and constantly unimpressed pricks.

Basically kill the kids and take your time telling your stories, please.

Agree with this take almost completely, and I think the bolded parts above are generational differences that we'll just have to swallow. I have no idea why the content produced for the younger generations these days, from cartoons to MCU, is so heavy & non-stop with witty banter/snark, and with characters that are constsantly loud, hyper etc. To me, an old fogey, it immediately breaks my immersion and becomes grating very quickly.

Somehow, the original series managed to be constantly engaging even with some down-time and reflective moments, with characters that weren't constantly hyper & yelling their lines, and crammed in full adventures within a 20 minute timeframe (after commercial breaks). I hope they steer more towards the original style in this regard, but I don't expect them to. It will be fun either way, but this will be the key difference that keeps the OT Duck Tales as GOAT to me.

I had no problems understanding Donald. Yeah, you have to pay a little more attention to him than other characters generally, but it's fine. Are the people having difficulty not native speakers?
The beginning was real difficult when he had longer dialogue as the show went on and there were just short one liners he was easier to understand.

The issue with Donald for me is that his speech volume seems to be 1/4 of everyone else.
Yeah that doesn't help. Maybe that's meant for when he explodes every episode he doesn't blow out your speakers ... or eardrums.

You can get the gist of what Donald is saying from the dialogue so I'm fine but depending on how important his role is, it might get a little too much.
I wasn't sure if that was the joke. If it was meant you're only suppose to hear every three words.

Nohar

OK. That was genuinely awesome! I wasn't sure about the new graphics, but frankly it has great potential, and I really like the revised personalities of these characters (new Webby is such an upgrade I don't even need to say more, and so is Mrs. Beakley).

My only issue is that I have a really hard time understanding Donald (not an english native speaker here), so unless I have some kind of subtitles enabled this is going to be tough to follow episodes in which he stars in.

Also, that cliffhanger is very interesting, to say the least.

Really, this premiere is a success, and I can't wait to watch the rest.

Regarding the nephews: let's wait a little. Character development will surely kick in and alleviate our concerns.

Agree with this take almost completely, and I think the bolded parts above are generational differences that we'll just have to swallow. I have no idea why the content produced for the younger generations these days, from cartoons to MCU, is so heavy & non-stop with witty banter/snark, and with characters that are constsantly loud, hyper etc. To me, an old fogey, it immediately breaks my immersion and becomes grating very quickly.

Somehow, the original series managed to be constantly engaging even with some down-time and reflective moments, with characters that weren't constantly hyper & yelling their lines, and crammed in full adventures within a 20 minute timeframe (after commercial breaks). I hope they steer more towards the original style in this regard, but I don't expect them to. It will be fun either way, but this will be the key difference that keeps the OT Duck Tales as GOAT to me.

High five! Btw, while I have personal problems with the way this series is exectuted I can see that some love went into the project. The animation quality itself is quite good and it knows what it wants to be, at least. I'll watch the next episodes and see...

Ristifer

I never got the sense that the nephews were yelling all the time or anything. They just seemed like children wanting to go on adventures. They made several references to being overprotected by Donald, so them wanting more attention from Scrooge wasn't exactly out of the realm of possibility. Seemed like pretty standard child character development.

I appreciate that they all have unique personalities, too.

I never got the sense that the nephews were yelling all the time or anything. They just seemed like children wanting to go on adventures. They made several references to being overprotected by Donald, so them wanting more attention from Scrooge wasn't exactly out of the realm of possibility. Seemed like pretty standard child character development.

I appreciate that they all have unique personalities, too.
This is such a positive. Before they were essentially just the mass effect 3 ending of triplets. Now they have actual discernable differences, not just visually, from the get go. Well see if they keep this up as they go on.

Blues1990

This is such a positive. Before they were essentially just the mass effect 3 ending of triplets. Now they have actual discernable differences, not just visually, from the get go. Well see if they keep this up as they go on.

What I find interesting is that all three have one of Scrooge's core personality traits, with Hewey valuing Scrooge's cunning & problem solving skills, Dewey admires his uncle's adventurist spirit & bravo, & Dewey loves treasure hunting & the value of the dollar. Funny enough, Hewey loves order & hates chaos, Dewey is pretty reckless with his actions, & Dewey is so lazy that if he could make a cool Million by doing absolutely nothing, he would.

I really enjoyed the first episode. I love the fact that it references Talespin, Darkwing Duck, and Goof Troop within the first 5 minutes of the show. A lot of the jokes were pretty funny.

The bad. I find the nephews kind of annoying. Like they're just hyper active and constantly doing stupid things that gets people into trouble. I really hope they tone it down a bit.

My only complain with the series right now is that I can't understand Donald. I don't know if it's me, or if the VA is just losing his touch or what, but I was only picking up on about 40% of his lines.

My only complain with the series right now is that I can't understand Donald. I don't know if it's me, or if the VA is just losing his touch or what, but I was only picking up on about 40% of his lines.

It was hard for me too. I don't think it is an issue with the VA since he is the same for decades, but due to the fact Donald now has more meaningful thinks to say. In the past it was all rubbish anyway.

It's clearly not you, but I've watched enough Donald in media (including recently) I wasn't having that much trouble.

caliph95

It was hard for me too. I don't think it is an issue with the VA since he is the same for decades, but due to the fact Donald now has more meaningful thinks to say. In the past it was all rubbish anyway.
I think it's the case though I watched kingdom hearts and only recently had trouble understanding him here in this episode at times .

Though that had subtitles which helped

Platy

Saw this on twitter xD

Exf2HXt.jpg

I don't think it is an issue with the VA since he is the same for decades

I find Tony Anselmo's Donald Duck to be harder to understand than Clarence Nash's, (the original DD) except for maybe the very earliest Donald appearances ("The Band Concert", etc.) . If I watch the later Donald/Clarence shorts where he's dealing with the nephews or Chip and Dale, etc, then I don't have any problem understanding him. Once Tony took over he got a little harder to decipher. So much so that it became a bit of a running gag in the shows he was in, where even the other characters would act like that couldn't understand him. At this point, they are either keeping the gag going, or maybe Anselmo's duck voice is just not quite as good. Either way, I don't think you are supposed to be able to understand everything Donald says. That's part of the character, so don't let it bother you. His actions are enough to fill in the gaps.

Here's a good example of Clarence Nash's Donald voice. The story in this short is that nobody can understand him, but I find him more understandable than Anselmo's voice on Ducktales. - Donald's Dream Voice. Maybe if this becomes a problem on the show he can get some of the pills he has in this short.

Finally watched and I loved it thought they did a fantastic job rebooting the series. The changes to webby and mrs beakly were brilliant and having donald part of the main cast is just great.

It did help to turn on captions with Donald. But that's fundamentally a part of the character, and he had some important dialogue, which is probably why it was harder to parse.

If this continues, hm... Maybe they should caption him directly? But that might come off poorly.

Top Bottom