• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ducktales premiere date - Movie 8/12 + Series 9/23

jobrro

This made me legitimately laugh out loud a couple of times.

Only thing I don't love is the kid's designs but I can live with it.

Between this and Sonic Mania it's like I am 8 years old again this week :p.

Tagg9

Holy shit, this is so much better than I could have ever hoped for.

I was nervous that Tennant wouldn't fit the role but he's actually perfectly cast as Scrooge. Also I'm not sure why people would associate Scrooge with Doctor Who, as Tennant affected a British accent for the Doctor role.

The nephews are actually far superior in this version of DuckTales as they have distinct personalities and one can actually tell them apart! Webby is also much more entertaining and far less annoying than she was in the original.

I still don't like the animation as much as the original (the backgrounds in particular look too dull and static) but it's still quite good compared to a lot of the 2D animation today.

Humor is also spot on - should be entertaining enough for kids while inserting plenty of references that only the adults will get.

DuckTales is back! I'm so happy!

Here's the full screenshot of Webby's bulletin board:
v51RlOu.jpg

Possible references:
  • Skypirates Spotted Above = TaleSpin?
  • Good For The Goose = Gladstone
  • Woodchuck Council
  • Friend or F.O.W.L = F.O.W.L is a secret organization, the "Foreign Organization for World Larceny"

adj_noun

Also I'm not sure why people would associate Scrooge with Doctor Who, as Tennant affected a British accent for the Doctor role.

There's times I swear I can hear the Doctor lurking in his performance. Doesn't take me out of it or anything; it's just part of his general style.

Tizoc

Hold up there was something of a well 'plot hole' in the first ep.;
Scrooge dives into his money bin while still wearing the medusa gauntlet; can its petrification be controlled or such?

This blew my mind. Had such a big crush on Roxanne when I was a kid, and was totally not expecting her to show up.
Tsk tsk if you had such a big crush on her then you should know that isn't her u_u

:p

Also hearing about spoonerville, isnt spoonerville clearly placed in California during A Goofy Movie (with mickey and donald also appearing on it)? Does that mean that the ducktales/darkwing/talespin cities are place in an alternative earth also were the majority of countries and amerucan states still exist? If so is duckberg and saint canard also in California?
Also are the new mickey shorts connected to the same universe? We have to go deeper lol

Pretty sure Spoonerville is on the East Coast in A Goofy Movie, because they road trip across America to LA for the concert.

pHand

Hold up there was something of a well 'plot hole' in the first ep.;
Scrooge dives into his money bin while still wearing the medusa gauntlet; can its petrification be controlled or such?

It was specified earlier in the ep that it turns organic matter to stone.

Snaku

Banned
Tsk tsk if you had such a big crush on her then you should know that isn't her u_u

:p

Even if they don't acknowledge it's her, it is to me. Maybe she had the beauty mark removed? And maybe her ears changed during puberty? Why can't I grasp all these straws!?

Ristifer

This made me legitimately laugh out loud a couple of times.

Only thing I don't love is the kid's designs but I can live with it.

Between this and Sonic Mania it's like I am 8 years old again this week :p.
Hah, same here. I have this week off, too, so I'm watching a new DuckTales cartoon and ushering in a new era of Classic Sonic. Definitely a time machine moment.

pHand

So apparently when
Lin-Manuel Miranda
came in to do his lines he started humming the moon theme from the NES game in the booth. He's said it's one of his favorite melodies ever. Now I'm disappointed they didn't get him to do the main theme for the show.

Ah but scrooge touched it when he dived into his bin.

He was wearing it on one hand when his other hand touched it, so presumably it doesn't affect you if you're wielding it.

RagnarokX

Also hearing about spoonerville, isnt spoonerville clearly placed in California during A Goofy Movie (with mickey and donald also appearing on it)? Does that mean that the ducktales/darkwing/talespin cities are place in an alternative earth also were the majority of countries and amerucan states still exist? If so is duckberg and saint canard also in California?
Also are the new mickey shorts connected to the same universe? We have to go deeper lol
According to A Goofy Movie, Spoonerville is in Ohio:
89iQWMv.jpg

One of the bumps on Disney XD confirmed that Duckburg is in Calisota, which is a very small fictional state on the West Coast between California and Oregon created by Carl Barks. St. Canard, the city that Darkwing Duck calls home, is confirmed by that same bump to be across the bay from Duckburg.

It seems like they've lumped Spoonerville and Cape Suzette into Calisota, too.

Glass Rebel

According to A Goofy Movie, Spoonerville is in Ohio:
89iQWMv.jpg

One of the bumps on Disney XD confirmed that Duckburg is in Calisota, which is a very small fictional state on the West Coast between California and Oregon created by Carl Barks. St. Canard, the city that Darkwing Duck calls home, is confirmed by that same bump to be across the bay from Duckburg.

It seems like they've lumped Spoonerville and Cape Suzette into Calisota, too.

Like Metropolis and Gotham in Batman v Superman 🤔

lol sorry

Great to hear the positive impressions on Tennant's take on Scrooge!

You'll always be Uncle Scrooge, Alan Young but great that Ducktales is back!

RK128

Not sure about the recent Mickey Shorts being connected to Ducktales but my impression is that the worlds of 'Ducktales', 'Darkwing Duck', 'Goof Troop' and 'Tailspin' are all connected in this reboot.

We got confirmation Darkwing Duck is going to appear in the show and the name dropping of various locations of other Disney Afternoon shows implies they will have some role in this new take on Ducktales.

That...that is awesome. It allows for elements of those shows to appear here without taking away from the 'core' story of Scrooge and crew. Darkwing seemingly showing up early into the show alone will be fun though, can't wait to see how he acts here XD!

Sponge

Banned
]It seems like they've lumped Spoonerville and Cape Suzette into Calisota, too.

So here's a question. If they ever introduce characters from Spoonerville, should it based on Goof Troop or Goofy Movie? Having Max as a kid makes sense because he could interact with the nephews, but personally I like teenage Max more.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Glomgold had me laughing my fucking ass off, I love him!
“But you said we were the most important treasure!”

“No, treasure is the most important treasure. That’s why it’s called treasure”

Also Donald being his best employee was incredible. Every one of his responses to Donald were awesome.

G: “We're going to steal the heart of Atlantis right from under them!”

D: “I can’t believe he brought the boys along. when I see Scrooge I’m going to kill him.”

G: “steal from them THEN kill them? I love it. It seems someone is gunning for a promotion!”

Enjoyed this a lot. I was glad Donald was closer to his comic characterization, with him actually being useful with the fire traps and such, with his angry moments still being great. I agree that he's still hard to understand at points, particularly at the beginning.

The triplets, Webby, and Mrs. Beakley were no question better than they are in the first cartoon, and in the case of the boys, I prefer them over their comic versions too. Particularly Don Rosa's too-perfect versions of them.

I noticed the tone is taking a lot from Gravity Falls too, and this is the sort of setting where that kind of season long story works perfectly.

The adventure aspects were a lot of fun, though I'm a bit worried they aren't lending enough weight to the fantastical aspects. If they keep using pirate ghosts as incidental obstacles in the middle of the episode, other things won't feel as significant. Not a huge problem, but that would make adaptations of comic storylines feel less impressive.

With Della appearing to get a larger role than any other Duck story (read: having a role at all), I hope we get a flashback episode with her. And also flashback stories in the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck settings, but with his sisters playing larger roles.

Feffe

Remember than A Goofy Movie was kinda of an AU reboot of Goof Troop. It probably takes place in Duckburg or Micetown, not Spoonerville.

Sanjuro

My biggest takeaway was how great Donald was. I like the whole idea of working class parent with rich relative influencing the twins.

Beck Bennett as Launchpad was really funny too.

UberTag

What's with Disney's antipathy towards mothers? Peg was awesome.
There was an interview with long-time Disney producer Don Hahn from three years ago in Glamour where this exact topic came up...

Why Most Disney Heroines Don't Have Mothers and So Many More Secrets From the Disney Archives

Glamour: Maleficent felt like one of the first Disney movies where you had a motherly presence that's usually missing. Ariel didn't have a mother in The Little Mermaid; Belle only had her dad in Beauty and the Beast. Why is that?

Don: I'll give you two stories that are the reasons. I never talk about this, but I will. One reason is practical because the movies are 80 or 90 minutes long, and Disney films are about growing up. They're about that day in your life when you have to accept responsibility. Simba ran away from home but had to come back. In shorthand, it's much quicker to have characters grow up when you bump off their parents. Bambi's mother gets killed, so he has to grow up. Belle only has a father, but he gets lost, so she has to step into that position. It's a story shorthand.

The other reason—and this is really odd—Walt Disney, in the early 1940s, when he was still living at this house, also bought a house for his mom and dad to move into. He had the studio guys come over and fix the furnace, but when his mom and dad moved in, the furnace leaked and his mother died. The housekeeper came in the next morning and pulled his mother and father out on the front lawn. His father was sick and went to the hospital, but his mother died. He never would talk about it, nobody ever does. He never spoke about that time because he personally felt responsible because he had become so successful that he said, "Let me buy you a house." It's every kid's dream to buy their parents a house and just through a strange freak of nature—through no fault of his own—the studio workers didn't know what they were doing. There's a theory, and I'm not a psychologist, but he was really haunted by that. That idea that he really contributed to his mom's death was really tragic. If you dig, you can read about it. It's not a secret within their family, but it's just a tragedy that is so difficult to even talk about. It helps to understand the man a little bit more.

Glamour: That is so horrible.

Don: He was living here on a hilltop, on five acres. He had just made Fantasia, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Bambi, and Snow White in a five-year span. He buys a house for his mom and dad, they move down from Oregon, and his mom dies. Again, I'm not a psychologist to know it all, but it's a really interesting story. To me, it humanizes Walt. He was devastated by that, as anyone would be.

The thing is comics don't like wifes. That is the reason there are so many nephews and nieces but rarely sons and daughters. That will mean marriage, and marriage kind of limit the possibilities of storytelling. There could be no love rivals, no comic relantionships. Marriage is kind of boring compared to singles stories.

aparisi2274

Loved everything about it except Donald. I'm not sure if it's just the voice actor or what, but I couldn't understand a word he was saying half the time....

Link

The Autumn Wind
Loved everything about it except Donald. I'm not sure if it's just the voice actor or what, but I couldn't understand a word he was saying half the time....
Which is strange because it's the same guy that's voiced him since 1985. I wonder if it was a creative decision to make him harder to understand.

You know what, with all the Disney Afternoon references they're dropping, they'd better have some mention of Scrooge going on safari to the Land of Wuzz god dammit.

Criminally forgotten OG Disney Afternoon show. ):<

Remember than A Goofy Movie was kinda of an AU reboot of Goof Troop. It probably takes place in Duckburg or Micetown, not Spoonerville.

Pretty sure Duckburg has always been located on the West Coast, so Goofy Movie definitely does not take place there. I assume Goofy Movie moved them to the East Coast specifically for the plot device of them needing to drive across the country for the concert. If they just drove down the coast it wouldn't have been the same at all.

There was an interview with long-time Disney producer Don Hahn from three years ago in Glamour where this exact topic came up...

Why Most Disney Heroines Don't Have Mothers and So Many More Secrets From the Disney Archives

Jesus Christ this is absolutely horrible, I've never heard that story before. Oh man, poor Walt. Every child's dream turned into a nightmare ;_____;

Which is strange because it's the same guy that's voiced him since 1985. I wonder if it was a creative decision to make him harder to understand.

I think it's that Donald has more complicated lines than he usually does. Folks are used to hearing him say basic lines and tending to say his catchphrases like "Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!" and the like a little too often.

Now, all of a sudden, Donald's referring to past tragedies and beef between him and his uncle, gushing over memories of his kids and being a single parent struggling to keep his kids in line as he preps for a job interview and find out where the hell his babysitter is.

The characterization is a huge improvement, imo, but it's clear that a lot of audiences aren't able to understand Donald as well as they usually do since his dialogue just changed drastically.

Tagg9

You know what, with all the Disney Afternoon references they're dropping, they'd better have some mention of Scrooge going on safari to the Land of Wuzz god dammit.

Criminally forgotten OG Disney Afternoon show. ):<

The Wuzzles predates the Disney Afternoon shows by a few years. It would be very odd to throw in a reference to that.

Ristifer

Just a heads up. iTunes TV on Twitter is saying you can get the whole episode for free. I'm in Canada, so it's $2.99 here. But it might be available for free in the U.S.

Elwainen

My boyfriend was asked if he wanted to storyboard on this but he turned it down because he would have had to buy a better tablet. He's got terrible priorities. Anyway looking forward to it none the less.

Snaku

Banned
Just a heads up. iTunes TV on Twitter is saying you can get the whole episode for free. I'm in Canada, so it's $2.99 here. But it might be available for free in the U.S.

Yup, it's free in the US. Already bought it on Amazon, but I'm not gonna say no to a free iTunes copy. Thanks!

Link

The Autumn Wind
iTunes is telling me the item is no longer available, but it is listed as free. I'll try again a bit later.

My boyfriend was asked if he wanted to storyboard on this but he turned it down because he would have had to buy a better tablet. He's got terrible priorities. Anyway looking forward to it none the less.
Your boyfriend is dumber than Launchpad!

I can see the whole season to buy but not the infividual episodes, so I cannot find this one...

The Wuzzles predates the Disney Afternoon shows by a few years. It would be very odd to throw in a reference to that.
They're referencing Gummy Bear Adventures in an upcoming episode, I always thought that predated Disney Afternoon as well so I figured Wuzzles was fair game too. Is there some kind of official list of what is and isn't an actual DA show? I always assumed it was specifically DuckTales, Reacue Rangers, Tale Spin, and Goof Troop but the Gummy Bear thing has me questioning everything I've ever known

UberTag

They're referencing Gummy Bear Adventures in an upcoming episode, I always thought that predated Disney Afternoon as well so I figured Wuzzles was fair game too. Is there some kind of official list of what is and isn't an actual DA show? I always assumed it was specifically DuckTales, Reacue Rangers, Tale Spin, and Goof Troop but the Gummy Bear thing has me questioning everything I've ever known
The WikiPedia page has you covered.

The Gummi Bears were part of the Disney Afternoon block in its first year back in 1990-91 along with DuckTales, Rescue Rangers and TaleSpin.

They were also a regular staple of the Disney Saturday Morning block throughout the 1980s... and aired opposite the Wuzzles during its brief single-season run back in 1985 (albeit on a different network). The Wuzzles aired on CBS. The Gummi Bears on NBC.

So the confusion is understandable.

“But you said we were the most important treasure!”

“No, treasure is the most important treasure. That’s why it’s called treasure”

Also Donald being his best employee was incredible. Every one of his responses to Donald were awesome.

G: “We're going to steal the heart of Atlantis right from under them!”

D: “I can’t believe he brought the boys along. when I see Scrooge I’m going to kill him.”

G: “steal from them THEN kill them? I love it. It seems someone is gunning for a promotion!”

"He thinks he's sooo rich an so SCOTTISH, well I'm wearing a kilt, McDuck, aaaa kiiiilllt!!!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The WikiPedia page has you covered.

The Gummi Bears were part of the Disney Afternoon block in its first year back in 1990-91 along with DuckTales, Rescue Rangers and TaleSpin.
They were also a regular staple of the Disney Saturday Morning block throughout the 1980s... and aired alongside the Wuzzles during its run.
So the confusion is understandable.
I actually (ashamedly) left out Darkwing from my list but according to that, like every cartoon Disney ever made became part of Disney Afternoon EXCEPT Wuzzles. BOOOOOOO Wuzzles has been cheated!!

*begins crusade to reboot Wuzzles*

Top Bottom