• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dudebro II announced officially, featuring Jon "Duke Nukem" St. John as Dudebro

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
140.85 said:
How on earth did you guys get the Duke Nuke'em guy on board? :lol I want the story.
I met JSJ at Magfest a while back, got his contact info, and then started a series of emails to him explaining and discussing the possibility of him being included in Dudebro. I wrote a few sample lines, they were well-received, and it's history from there! =)

jrricky

Banned
Dacvak said:
I met JSJ at Magfest a while back, got his contact info, and then started a series of emails to him explaining and discussing the possibility of him being included in Dudebro. I wrote a few sample lines, they were well-received, and it's history from there! =)
Awesome!

Anyways, why dont I see anyone on the IRC chatting? Did I do something wrong?

EDIT: I didnt scroll down. *facepalm*

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
ScHlAuChi said:
Great!
How did you guys get John St John into doing this?
There is literally an explanation on this very page.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
man, what's so great about this isnt just how it started, the dedication, the beauty of a volunteer project birthing a labor of love. but you guys really have the ball rolling, if the main contributors work haaard on this, and if it's popular, it could be career makers for some of you unless you have a career already. insane.

Danthrax said:
Haha, sweet. Thanks Cooljeanius!

What's great is that you filed Dudebro under "games running on Unity." But Cartoon Network's FusionFall MMO for kids is also a Unity game, so now "Dudebro: My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got To Shoot/Slice You II" is plastered at the bottom of a kids' MMO's Wikipedia page :lol
I suppose it fits with this game's origin of having started in an Imagine: Babyz Fashion thread. Also, now that the article is up, not only does it need to be improved, but it also needs to be protected from vandalism.

Danthrax said:
Haha, sweet. Thanks Cooljeanius!

What's great is that you filed Dudebro under "games running on Unity." But Cartoon Network's FusionFall MMO for kids is also a Unity game, so now "Dudebro: My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got To Shoot/Slice You II" is plastered at the bottom of a kids' MMO's Wikipedia page :lol

:lol :lol :lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I edited my post on page 3 (page 3 if you're viewing GAF with your Gold Account™) to update with some new links, including the first of a four-part series Andrew Hiscock is doing over at Bitmob:

http://bitmob.com/index.php/mobfeed...nd-how-neogaf-began-its-first-video-game.html

He interviewed several of us for a couple of weeks over e-mail, and this is the fruit of those interviews. It's a pretty good story except for how negative he seems toward NeoGAF. I swear I was being sarcastic when I said this:

"We're very jaded at GAF," he says, "and we think everything sucks about the hobby we love -- that may be a slight exaggeration but only slightly."

...but I'm not sure that sarcasm translated entirely. =\

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wow, I need to do some catch up. I can't imagine how you got St. John to do this. But that's awesome. :lol

Now get yourselves an XBLA release! ;D

As the name suggests, the game will parody the generic action heroes and plots that have become so prevalent in action games. Grimoire Assembly Forge promises "super-macho protagonists, excessive violence and profanity, chauvinistic overtones, and rampant immaturity."

so you are gonna parody games by doing extreme version of them, which will probably appeal to same audience

seems pretty disingenuous, " The best satire implicates the audience" , etc

Xabora

squall211 said:
The fact that Jon St. John is involved makes this the biggest gaming announcement of the year. Nothing shall top it for the rest of 2010.
Pretty much this. :O

cosmicblizzard said:
JSJ already recorded some of the stuff I wrote. Check it out.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mmthyj5oiug

http://www.mediafire.com/?jjgwycymyfk

http://www.mediafire.com/?qzw3l3qzyyg

http://www.mediafire.com/?jkqeygejkwx

I can't take all the credit since Dacvak wrote some of the lines, but I did around 70% of them. I'm definitely happy and hope everyone likes what I'm writing for the other characters :D
Yeah, this game will be the best replacement for the loss of DNF.

ZeoVGM

Banned
bafflewaffle said:
so you are gonna parody games by doing extreme version of them, which will probably appeal to same audience

What..?

omg rite said:

" The best satire implicates the audience"

so it should make yall uncomfortable on some level, since you all arefans of these type of games

but I realize it is a game, so has to be fun to play, cant compare to serious artforms

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
HurricaneJesus said:
No one else noticed this? Is this the man himself? This whole thing is wonderfully absurd.

LoL no John is just pulling people's legs. He's one of our musicians on the project.

bafflewaffle said:

it's part of the joke

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
bafflewaffle said:

That's the whole point :)
Some years ago, the Italian rapper Caparezza (a huge nerd) wrote a song that ridiculed the douchebags spending their nights in a disco.
The song got very popular, it eventually got a few dance remixes, and those same douchebags got crazy for it without realizing he was mocking them in the first place.
Success.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
There should be a disclaimer of asking one to take any nessasary medication before playing this game. too much awesome, one might collapse.

:X

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
bafflewaffle said:

so it should make yall uncomfortable on some level, since you all arefans of these type of games

but I realize it is a game, so has to be fun to play, cant compare to serious artforms
Parody and satire aren't the same thing, you know.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Bad_Boy said:
There should be a disclaimer of asking one to take any nessasary medication before playing this game. too much awesome, one might collapse.

:X
"Disclaimer: this game gets better when you're drunk."

bafflewaffle said:
Actually, this is true. We're trying to make a fun game first.
Many indie games tend to try to be artsy and tell a message, and often they end up looking like a pretentious mess with no substance underneath. This is a fatal mistake we're trying to avoid.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Jocchan said:
"Disclaimer: this game gets better when you're drunk."

Hilarious, considering I tend to enjoy gaming when drunk. :O

bryehn

Was sick for a couple weeks and not keeping up. Almost pissed myself laughing when I saw the PR. John St. John involvement is awesome!

Jocchan said:
That's the whole point :)
Some years ago, the Italian rapper Caparezza (a huge nerd) wrote a song that ridiculed the douchebags spending their nights in a disco.
The song got very popular, it eventually got a few dance remixes, and those same douchebags got crazy for it without realizing he was mocking them in the first place.
Success.
to me that is not success, and lacking courage to make a statement. not to familiar with it so....

just in general, more vicious satire style would be more interesting to me, than playing to same, 'Im better than gamestop crowd but I buy the same games as them' smirk type things

seems it will be like duke nukem, hazard style, but more "game literate", etc :)

Top Bottom