• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dudebro: MSIFUSIHTS/SY2: The Straight-Up Official Thread!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Awesome job, man. Even though we're not going to use that layout for the maze (for the reasons listed some pages back), it looks sick and I freakin' love it. Now, if you could just add at least a simple view of the graveyard on the right, next to the mansion, it would be even better (after the end of the maze, you get to the graveyard). Feel free to cut away the right side of the mansion entirely to get some more space, if you need it.

Now, what we really need is a top-down view of 2-1 modelled after Mik's sketch on Dropbox, with the addition of the resort itself and the pool. Hopefully I can help with that.

so1337

anonymousAversa said:
Wow, that looks great! Love the ocean..
Thanks, man.
Jocchan said:
Awesome job, man. Even though we're not going to use that layout for the maze (for the reasons listed some pages back), it looks sick and I freakin' love it.
Thanks. I thought I'd use that layout anyways because it looked kinda cool.
Jocchan said:
Now, if you could just add at least a simple view of the graveyard on the right, next to the mansion, it would be even better (after the end of the maze, you get to the graveyard). Feel free to cut away the right side of the mansion entirely to get some more space, if you need it.
Alright, I'll see what I can do.
Jocchan said:
Now, what we really need is a top-down view of 2-1 modelled after Mik's sketch on Dropbox, with the addition of the resort itself and the pool. Hopefully I can help with that.
Yeah, we really should do this one next.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
so1337 said:
Thanks, man.

Thanks. I thought I'd use that layout anyways because it looked kinda cool.

Alright, I'll see what I can do.

Yeah, we really should do this one next.
Awesome :D
Using the round layout anyway is more than okay (I love how it looks too), I just clarified for everyone else :)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
so1337, that art looks fanfreakingtastic!

-----

"Bearded lady joke not appreciated" :lol

(re: DudebroGirls.png in the Dudebro_Art_2D > Work In Progress sheets folder)

Gomu Gomu

so1337 said:
Act 2-2:

act2-2post.jpg

Also posted on dropbox and Google Wave. It's in the WIP section for now. Jocchan, if you're satisified with this concept feel free to drag it over to the finished section.
Just Amazing.

John

Jocc, could you invite me to the/a concept art folder? I want to see the types of environments I'll be scoring

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
so1337 said:
Act 2-2:

act2-2post.jpg

Also posted on dropbox and Google Wave. It's in the WIP section for now. Jocchan, if you're satisified with this concept feel free to drag it over to the finished section.

Looking great!

John

Hm, I'm looking for one art specifically, it's big, blue, features Dudebro and tons of other characters on it, in stylish art. I just looked up and down 30 pages of the thread for it :lol

Just got back from vacation, tried to fix anything that my computer re-syncing with Dropbox might have messed up. Let me know if I missed anything.

John

cooljeanius said:
Just got back from vacation, tried to fix anything that my computer re-syncing with Dropbox might have messed up. Let me know if I missed anything.
The team split up the Dropbox folder into multiple, smaller ones, to save space and time. Ask Jocchan to invite you to the dropboxes of whichever teams you want.

John said:
The team split up the Dropbox folder into multiple, smaller ones, to save space and time. Ask Jocchan to invite you to the dropboxes of whichever teams you want.
I've already been invited to the others, it's just I edited something before vacation while it was still in the big folder, so the edit didn't go through until now, which put it back in the big folder, so I was just making sure I moved it to the little folder properly.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
John said:
Hm, I'm looking for one art specifically, it's big, blue, features Dudebro and tons of other characters on it, in stylish art. I just looked up and down 30 pages of the thread for it :lol

The one from Raging Spaniard?

Dudebro_by_TheRagingSpaniard.jpg

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Hey I faked "tons of characters" in that piece by only drawing two? IM A GENIUS

Spoo

Danthrax said:
The one from Raging Spaniard?

Dudebro_by_TheRagingSpaniard.jpg

Never been a big fan of this peice of art. It doesn't encapulate was Dudebro is; it's too serious, too intense. Dudebro is funny, free and fun. This art, unlike Jocchan's initial work on John Dudebro himself, contains none of that. It's too violent, serious, and so against the initial idea of how Dudebro should look that it misses the mark. The work here, in terms of quality, is quite good -- in terms of consistancy with the idea, it's too far off the mark.

Either way, I hope Raging is willing to take the current art of Dudebro and use that in future works. He's clearly talented, so doing that should pose no problem.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
John said:
That's the one. Thanks

Thought so, LoL. You're welcome.

Raging Spaniard said:
Hey I faked "tons of characters" in that piece by only drawing two? IM A GENIUS

Heh well it's a stylish drawing of Dudebro and it's very blue, so I figured that's what he meant =P

Blizzard

Banned
so1337 said:
Act 2-2:

Awesome, this lets me get my route planned in advance. :D

33cu0km.jpg

Sill4

Spoo said:
Never been a big fan of this peice of art. It doesn't encapulate was Dudebro is; it's too serious, too intense. Dudebro is funny, free and fun. This art, unlike Jocchan's initial work on John Dudebro himself, contains none of that. It's too violent, serious, and so against the initial idea of how Dudebro should look that it misses the mark. The work here, in terms of quality, is quite good -- in terms of consistancy with the idea, it's too far off the mark.

Either way, I hope Raging is willing to take the current art of Dudebro and use that in future works. He's clearly talented, so doing that should pose no problem.
It's just a different interpretation of the character. I always love seeing other people's takes on a character.

It reminds me of all those old ass game covers that had images that weren't anything like the in-game style :lol

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Spoo said:

Your face is off the mark!

:p

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
howtojoin.png

If you want to help:
1. Follow this FAQ: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_23cgnp39cs
2. PM Danthrax your e-mail to be added to the staff list, Dropbox and the Google Waves
3. Contact your team lead to get assignments
4. Make sure you keep following the waves, this thread, and read the GDD
5. Remember that no one will PM you asking to do X or Y (we're too many), if you need assignments/feedback/direction/info/a beer/whatever just PM your lead
6. Use the IRC channel (more details below) to stay in touch with the team!!!
7. ???
8. PROFIT!

Useful links:
Sign-up FAQ: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_23cgnp39cs
Dudebro Game Design Document: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_8dv7w2pfm
Dudebro official website: http://www.grimoireassemblyforge.com/dudebro/
Dudebro Wiki: http://dudebro.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
CafePress Store: http://www.cafepress.com/dudebro2

And CHECK YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES because I or another Dudebro volunteer may have PMed you about something important!

IRC details:
server: irc.gamecubecafe.com
channel: #dudebro

thank you for your attention and have a fantastic day!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Spoo said:

Yes, the style is very different... but too violent? Nah, definitely not! ;)

Blizzard said:
Awesome, this lets me get my route planned in advance. :D

http://i45.tinypic.com/33cu0km.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Hah! Too bad Dudebro is not smart enough to choose that route!
[spoiler]The actual level layout - for both level and maze - will be quite different, so it's not like he really has a choice :)[/spoiler]

[QUOTE=so1337]Sorry, but...
[IMG]http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r479/manuseresunhombrefuerte/keepoffgrass.jpg
:lol

John

Yes, the maze should be accessible by sidewalk, and if the player tries to move around it, Dudebro abashedly tells the player that he should stay off the grass.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Any volunteer willing to update our Wikipedia entry? The website is now starting to show some quite relevant information.

Speaking of the website, how many of you know it's updated twice a week with new content, a bit like the Smash Bros Dojo? It should probably be made more apparent (I doubt many know at all), and we need to add RSS feeds ASAP.

Jocchan said:
Any volunteer willing to update our Wikipedia entry? The website is now starting to show some quite relevant information.

Speaking of the website, how many of you know it's updated twice a week with new content, a bit like the Smash Bros Dojo? It should probably be made more apparent (I doubt many know at all), and we need to add RSS feeds ASAP.
I do. I was actually quite surprised from all the new stuff that keeps getting added.

How the fuck do you guys have time to make E3 Trailers, websites besides making the game o_O?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Metroid Killer said:
I do. I was actually quite surprised from all the new stuff that keeps getting added.

How the fuck do you guys have time to make E3 Trailers, websites besides making the game o_O?
Easy, we don't sleep! :D

Jokes aside, the website was made by tmaynard and skynet and is currently mantained by a three men posse formed by Danthrax, cosmicblizzard and myself, but the plan is to get more writers and members of the marketing team involved to reduce the workload pro capite.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I just wanted to say everyone on the team is incredible at the amount of work, quality work, they can get done. It's really amazing, and I'm smitten with all of them. You guys are seriously the best.

Sunflower said:
I just wanted to say everyone on the team is incredible at the amount of work, quality work, they can get done. It's really amazing, and I'm smitten with all of them. You guys are seriously the best.
I second this notion!

Loss of the sticky is a bit disheartening, but it's not the end of the world. We've made a lot of progress recently and this most likely won't affect development at all.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Since we haven't used this thread much in a while to give updates, and since we don't have everyone added to every folder on Dropbox, I imagine that most people don't know how much work is still being done on Dudebro.

Just in the last seven days the team has accomplished the following:

• Updated the website on Friday with a write-up about the storyline
  • Modeled Reverend Brahnson, one of the bosses in the game
  • Textured Reverend Brahnson
  • Created new concept art for the Brain Seeker, Dudebro's assault rifle
  • Advanced the build by three steps, tweaking damage and explosion radius, fixing bugs, adding debug buttons and adding "throwing objects" to the AI routine
  • Updated the website on Monday with concept art and a description of the Razor Blood, Dudebro's hand cannon
  • Created concept art for the Chubby Whale rocket launcher and the Craven Hornet UZI
  • Created 30 new sound effects
  • Modeled the proximity mine ammunition crate
  • Textured the proximity mine ammunition crate
  • Modeled the keycard item
  • Textured the keycard item

That's just in the last week. Shit is getting done. Don't think it's not!

Xater said:
Evilore probably just forgot about it. I miss having it stickied. It's always nice to pop in to see how far along you guys are.

Thanks. You'll just have to subscribe to the thread.

And no, EviLore didn't forget about it.

Danthrax said:
Since we haven't used this thread much in a while to give updates, and since we don't have everyone added to every folder on Dropbox, I imagine that most people don't know how much work is still being done on Dudebro.

• Advanced the build by three steps, tweaking damage and explosion radius, fixing bugs, adding debug buttons and adding "throwing objects" to the AI routine
  • Updated the website on Monday with concept art and a description of the Razor Blood, Dudebro's hand cannon
  • Created concept art for the Chubby Whale rocket launcher and the Craven Hornet UZI

Oh cool, didn't know Brahnson got modeled.

Everyone is really working hard even if it isn't showing up here. I'm sure there are some people that think this is vaporware, but we're going to prove them wrong.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
cosmicblizzard said:
Oh cool, didn't know Brahnson got modeled.

anonymousAversa said:
whoa, that's a lot done in seven days.

This is what I'm talkin' about! LoL People don't even know. I think we need to do a better job of communicating it with everyone so the team knows that we still have a full head of steam.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
To all the 3D artists: we now have enough concept art to start working on chapter 2, so I've just finished adding a slew of new tasks.

Danthrax said:

Played the build some more recently, mostly noticed the AI throwing objects and the sound effects. It was kind of an "oh, snap!" moment when I realized the AI were throwing objects. That being said, it could still use some work though. The boxes seem like they sometimes glitch a little when being thrown. Can't really describe it accurately enough for the bug tracker though, and plus it's kinda minor...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I had the craziest fucking dream last night.

Dudebro II became a sort of interactive story game, like Heavy Rain, but with far less QTEs and a completely linear story. Which admittedly made it even more like a movie than Heavy Rain.

Dudebro stopped being a parody of man-shooters and became a more of a parody of machoism and video games in general. In the first scene, we see get an overhead view of a town made entirely out of graphics from Blizzard RTS games. But then Dudebro enters the scene, steps onto all of the sprites and models like a giant monster, only for us to realize that the Blizzard RTS town was actually really tiny.

In another scene, Dudebro sleeps with a very old, skinny black woman, who dies from the experience.

The end involved a literal "cliffhanger", where you mistaken fall into a giant hole, grip tightly onto the edge, only to have Jocchan appear and mock you. The end result was that you simultaneously beat and lost the game.

The whole game was rendered in a 2D comic book style, similar to Raging Spaniard's interpretation.

The game actually became a packaged product on the XBOX 360 for the "budget" price of $40. Reviewers generally enjoy it the experience while it lasts, but promptly slam it since it was a "2-3 hour experience with no replayability". It gets a cult following for being an "auteur" game.

Also, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night apparently had a dinosaur as its main character. Not Alucard.

Spoo

I'm glad to see everyone staying strong with the project, and I'm very happy with the new recruits. As the programming lead, Bistro, I'm looking @ you ;)

Otherwise, for every other team, looking good. We're making incredible progress, and the QA team should definitely be gearing up here. We're going to prove a lot of motherfuckers wrong by delivering the most awesome free game out there! :D

V_Ben

Banned
Spoo said:
I'm glad to see everyone staying strong with the project, and I'm very happy with the new recruits. As the programming lead, Bistro, I'm looking @ you ;)

Otherwise, for every other team, looking good. We're making incredible progress, and the QA team should definitely be gearing up here. We're going to prove a lot of motherfuckers wrong by delivering the most awesome free game out there! :D

Amen to that :D

Top Bottom