• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dudebro: MSIFUSIHTS/SY2: The Straight-Up Official Thread!

cntr

Banned
Jocchan said:
It's intentional, to make that part sound more colloquial :)
ah, 'kay.

I have a question! How do boss fights work in Bromance mode? I'm assuming both players have two separate Brodacity meters.

Awesome. The reason I think there aren't as many people interested in the project as before is because there's not much to show. When we have real gameplay footage and screens, or even a playable demo, I think interest will be back up again.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Cow Mengde said:
Awesome. The reason I think there aren't as many people interested in the project as before is because there's not much to show. When we have real gameplay footage and screens, or even a playable demo, I think interest will be back up again.
Yep, the hardest part should be getting to that point.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I just saw a black and white artwork of the graveyard on Dropbox, with no name attached. The date is August 18th (right before I got back home, so that's why I missed it). Who made it? So1337?

Besides that, here's a test layout, not final yet but it could be, for the bush maze (spoilarzzz!): http://i.imgur.com/Urh85.jpg
The brown blocks represent withered bushes that can be blown up. The red and blue blocks are used to randomize the maze layout once the level starts (you'll see either the blue or the red ones, not both at the same time). Of course, they both represent normal, green bushes.

so1337

Jocchan said:
I just saw a black and white artwork of the graveyard on Dropbox, with no name attached. The date is August 18th (right before I got back home, so that's why I missed it). Who made it? So1337?
Yeah. I guess I should've posted it here. :p

So, yeah. Is this more or less what you had in mind? I roughly based it on Tyrant Onions sketch. The palm trees were obviously replaced by dead leaf trees.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
so1337 said:
Yeah. I guess I should've posted it here. :p

So, yeah. Is this more or less what you had in mind? I roughly based it on Tyrant Onions sketch. The palm trees were obviously replaced by dead leaf trees.
Yep, it is! :)
It would just need some movable walls of loculi and a couple of crypts somewhere to be perfect.
The details on church, loculi and crypts are going to be very important though.

Oh, by the way, here's a WIP of Brahnson's portrait:

(edited, see below)

so1337

Jocchan said:
Yep, it is! :)
It would just need some movable walls of loculi
Movable? As in "Dudebro moves the whole wall"-movable?
and a couple of crypts somewhere to be perfect.
The details on church, loculi and crypts are going to be very important though.
Actually, the two small buildings behind the church are supposed to be crypts or rather, they're going to be crypts.
Oh, by the way, here's a WIP of Brahnson's portrait:
http://imgur.com/gxL07.jpg[/IMG*][/QUOTE]
Badass. This certainly fills MY brodiocity meter. :D

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
so1337 said:
Movable? As in "Dudebro moves the whole wall"-movable?
Yep.
Switches placed on some tombstones make them slide, opening or closing paths.

so1337 said:
Actually, the two small buildings behind the church are supposed to be crypts or rather, they're going to be crypts.
Awesome :)

so1337 said:
Badass. This certainly fills MY brodiocity meter. :D
:D

darkbanjo said:
Is there any help needed with writing or anything related or is that all taken care of?
Not much work left to do, I'm afraid.

Xater

Just because I am lazy I'll tell you guys here: I really enjoyed the first podcast you did. Jocchan sexiness is all I have to say. ;)

Yeah the podcast was nice! It really amazes me how pro you guys are about everything in this damn project. The website can never get enough praise either.

I knew you weren't american Jocchan, from the podcast it sounded italian, no?

Keep up the good work!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Xater said:
Just because I am lazy I'll tell you guys here: I really enjoyed the first podcast you did. Jocchan sexiness is all I have to say. ;)
*blushes*

Metroid Killer said:
Yeah the podcast was nice! It really amazes me how pro you guys are about everything in this damn project. The website can never get enough praise either.

I knew you weren't american Jocchan, from the podcast it sounded italian, no?

Keep up the good work!
Thanks man! And yeah, I'm Italian :)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Finished! :D
VX2ly.png

cooljeanius said:
Anyone know why downloading the podcast from the website makes it open under "music" instead of "podcasts" in iTunes?
No clue, maybe it has something to do with the file format?

Hey guys, sorry for not getting around to posting in here but between a lot of things I either forgot or passed it until later.

I read the pm about still needing modellers and i'm still willing to help, give me a few more days to sort out my portfolio website and some other things and i'll have some good time to model things, I need to login to the share box thing again too because I think it was uninstalled from my pc in a huge clean up for freeing up memory, will get on that tomorrow.

How often are you guys on the irc channel?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Diablohead said:
I leave IRC open pretty much all the time, except during the night (European time). So, even if I'm AFK, I can read messages whenever I get back.

Diablohead said:
Hey guys, sorry for not getting around to posting in here but between a lot of things I either forgot or passed it until later.

I read the pm about still needing modellers and i'm still willing to help, give me a few more days to sort out my portfolio website and some other things and i'll have some good time to model things, I need to login to the share box thing again too because I think it was uninstalled from my pc in a huge clean up for freeing up memory, will get on that tomorrow.

Awesome. Some of us are in the IRC all day (like me) so I'll always be there to answer questions I'm probably not qualified to answer :D

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
IMPORTANT
The level/mission structure in Dudebro has been tweaked. Check chapter 4 of the GDD for more details.

howtojoin.png

If you want to help:
1. Follow this FAQ: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_23cgnp39cs
2. PM Danthrax your e-mail to be added to the staff list, Dropbox and the Google Waves
3. Contact your team lead to get assignments
4. Make sure you keep following the waves, this thread, and read the GDD
5. Remember that no one will PM you asking to do X or Y (we're too many), if you need assignments/feedback/direction/info/a beer/whatever just PM your lead
6. Use the IRC channel (more details below) to stay in touch with the team!!!
7. ???
8. PROFIT!

Useful links:
Sign-up FAQ: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_23cgnp39cs
Dudebro Game Design Document: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_8dv7w2pfm
Dudebro official website: http://www.grimoireassemblyforge.com/dudebro/
Dudebro Wiki: http://dudebro.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
CafePress Store: http://www.cafepress.com/dudebro2

And CHECK YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES because I or another Dudebro volunteer may have PMed you about something important!

IRC details:
server: irc.gamecubecafe.com
channel: #dudebro

thank you for your attention and have a fantastic day!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
cooljeanius said:
Anyone know why downloading the podcast from the website makes it open under "music" instead of "podcasts" in iTunes?

No idea. I was planning on getting the podcast actually on to iTunes soon, so maybe that'll fix it.

Diablohead said:

www.dropbox.com in case you forgot =P There are always people in the IRC. I'm usually in there after 11 p.m. EDT and sometimes around noon to 2 p.m.

Gomu Gomu

Danthrax said:
No idea. I was planning on getting the podcast actually on to iTunes soon, so maybe that'll fix it.
Yes please. This needs to happen. podcasts on iTunes are much easier to listen to and keep tracking of new episodes.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Gomu Gomu said:
Yes please. This needs to happen. podcasts on iTunes are much easier to listen to and keep tracking of new episodes.

LoL I will get right on it tonight, then, and hopefully have it on iTunes right away when future episodes are released.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
So, we're opening a developer blog sub-page within the Dudebro website, open to everyone in the Dudebro team.

Anyone can submit their posts, detailing their experience while making the game, the reasons behind some choices if you were involved in making them, and pretty much anything else about Dudebro or the industry in general. Just get in touch with me, Danthrax or cosmicblizzard and - if the post is interesting and informative enough - we'll try to put it somewhere in the website update schedule.

Random, but I was at a family birthday party this past Saturday, and I swear one of my cousin's friends is Dudebro. Or at least the inspiration for the cover of Medal of Honor. If I can find a picture of him, I definitely want to share it with you guys.

I would love to start doing 3d work for this game again, but the super low polygon thing annoys me enough to kill any desire I have :lol

If anyone decides to go to Source or Unreal engine, I'd gladly join.

In fact, I think once this game is done, you should definitely consider moving to a better engine.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The Blue Jihad said:
Random, but I was at a family birthday party this past Saturday, and I swear one of my cousin's friends is Dudebro. Or at least the inspiration for the cover of Medal of Honor. If I can find a picture of him, I definitely want to share it with you guys.
Haha, curious to see him.

Ajemsuhgao said:
I would love to start doing 3d work for this game again, but the super low polygon thing annoys me enough to kill any desire I have :lol

If anyone decides to go to Source or Unreal engine, I'd gladly join.

In fact, I think once this game is done, you should definitely consider moving to a better engine.
Well, Unity (especially with Unity 3 behind the corner) is actually a pretty powerful engine.

Our models are very lowpoly to have a large number of enemies - each with its own AI - at the same time, and to be able to run the game efficiently on a large variety of machines, especially considering browser overhead.

Increasing detail would also mean needing a much larger number of assets, or else the game wouldn't feel right. So, our budget in terms of modellers (very, very low) would be much more limiting than the engine itself.

Lastly, switching engines at this point wouldn't be a wise choice: we'd throw away all the work done on the coding side, and engine changes in general (in both professional and indie games) almost never work out well.
After Dudebro is done? Now that would be a completely different matter :)

Plaguefox said:
This has been said before. I'm certain of it. :)

Dudebro™ — My Shit Is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time

That's the title, right? Am I the only one that reads the title as the following?

Dudebro™ — My Shit Is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You It's Straight-Up Dawg Time II

I can't even remember the full title. I remember the Dudebro and II part.

Jocchan said:
Haha, curious to see him.

Well, Unity (especially with Unity 3 behind the corner) is actually a pretty powerful engine.

Our models are very lowpoly to have a large number of enemies - each with its own AI - at the same time, and to be able to run the game efficiently on a large variety of machines, especially considering browser overhead.

Increasing detail would also mean needing a much larger number of assets, or else the game wouldn't feel right. So, our budget in terms of modellers (very, very low) would be much more limiting than the engine itself.

Lastly, switching engines at this point wouldn't be a wise choice: we'd throw away all the work done on the coding side, and engine changes in general (in both professional and indie games) almost never work out well.
After Dudebro is done? Now that would be a completely different matter :)

Yeah, I never expected this to change engines. It's far to late to do that. Why I said after :D

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Ajemsuhgao said:
Yeah, I never expected this to change engines. It's far to late to do that. Why I said after :D
Hopefully! :D

Plaguefox said:
This is an example of an layout that is less likely to convey the wrong title, but I don't know if anyone cares. Anyway, just a suggestion!

35clw09.png
This was already discussed, I think :D

Basically, the layout you suggested wouldn't be as impactful. Putting the II as we did might make its effective placement a bit unclear, but in the end it doesn't really matter where the number goes in the title.
What matters most is that the logo looks good, catches the viewer's attention easily, and makes the product identifiable/distinguishable from other products in the same franchise.

Another example of the same concept, with coincidentally the same layout, would be the Uncharted 2 logo:

o1Obz.png

The big 2 on the right is supposed to go before Among Thieves, but it's still placed on the right, as tall as both lines, for emphasis :)

cntr

Banned
Finally read through this entire thread. I want to help out with the game, so I PMed Danthrax about joining the QA team. :D Hope I'll be able to help out.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
So, a couple of notes on how the build is progressing:

1. Jumping is officially out. It has been on the verge of getting eliminated for a long while (actually, from the beginning), but we kept it as long as possible to weigh its pros and cons by testing it on the field. And it failed the test. Even though more complex maps were meant to use it a bit more, it's not worth the number of things the mechanic would break. So, it's going to be replaced by something else entirely, something a bit more horizontal.
Did someone say "like the Hover Boots from OOT"?
2. The way proximity mines work will change significantly. They were too huge (already meant to become smaller), and always got in the way with physics. Now they're going to work a bit like the Claymores in MGS1 (once you plant one you can't move it), except with a full 360° range and activated manually by the player (as in the QA build).
3. Nicjac implemented all-new explosions. They need some tweaking but already look badass :D
4. The camera is further away, more centered and a bit more top-down. Running through hordes of enemies without bumping into them is much easier.
5. The enemies are faster, Dudebro is slightly slower. Some spawn points have been moved around, so the action is much more hectic.
6. Their AI is currently getting overhauled to allow them to circle strafe around the player. Packing them together into one group will be harder.
7. The weight of throwable objects (crates, barrels) has doubled. They behave more realistically now, especially the barrels had one issue with their collider fixed.
8. Curved pipes now have the correct collider. No more bullet holes in mid-air.

Sounds good?

Plaguefox said:
I see! I figured it came up before.

I personally believe that title clarity just as important as visual quality, attention, and identification. I also don't believe that this kind of change would make the logo look any poorer, distract from the viewer's attention, or make the product any more easily confused with future products in the franchise.

Also, in comparison to Among Thieves—where you've got a clear line dividing the subtitle from the title—the Dudebro series subtitle and this entry's unique subtitle are both laid out in identical text, blocked so that it is generally read all in one go. It's actually working against clarity, pushing the viewer toward the wrong assumption. So it's really not the number causing the issue, it's the melded subtitle.
Title clarity is extremely important, the exact placement of the II between the two subtitles probably not as much though. In the end it's a matter of choices: we thought a larger II would have been more effective by emphasizing the fact it's the sequel of a game that doesn't exist, and went this way.

Plaguefox said:
But in the end, I don't know what else might have been discussed. I'm just some guy who popped in one day and went "hey I don't know what this game's title actually is".

Keep up the good work. :)
Thanks for the feedback, man. Actually, it's much appreciated. The fact we took one decision doesn't automatically mean it's the right one.

cntrational said:
Finally read through this entire thread. I want to help out with the game, so I PMed Danthrax about joining the QA team. :D Hope I'll be able to help out.
Awesome :)

webrunner

Maybe if the 1st subtitle was red like the title, it would be less confusing? Right now it looks like "My shit is fucked up etc" and "it's straight up dawg time" go together, becuse they're both black, when it should be with the Dudebro. If everything "before" the 2 was red, it would seemingly work a lot better, right now it's red-black-red-black.

Jocchan said:

1. Jumping is officially out. It has been on the verge of getting eliminated for a long while (actually, from the beginning), but we kept it as long as possible to weigh its pros and cons by testing it on the field. And it failed the test. Even though more complex maps were meant to use it a bit more, it's not worth the number of things the mechanic would break. So, it's going to be replaced by something else entirely, something a bit more horizontal.
2. The way proximity mines work will change significantly. They were too huge (already meant to become smaller), and always got in the way with physics. Now they're going to work a bit like the Claymores in MGS1 (once you plant one you can't move it), except with a full 360° range and activated manually by the player (as in the QA build).
3. Nicjac implemented all-new explosions. They need some tweaking but already look badass :D
4. The camera is further away, more centered and a bit more top-down. Running through hordes of enemies without bumping into them is much easier.
5. The enemies are faster, Dudebro is slightly slower. Some spawn points have been moved around, so the action is much more hectic.
6. Their AI is currently getting overhauled to allow them to circle strafe around the player. Packing them together into one group will be harder.
7. The weight of throwable objects (crates, barrels) has doubled. They behave more realistically now, especially the barrels had one issue with their collider fixed.

Sounds good?

Can't say for sure until we play test it, but it sounds pretty good. I never really gave the camera much thought, but I think the decision for more top head view is a good one. I'll remember to throw stuff this time.

Jocchan said:

Sounds good?
Sounds very good! I like these changes quite a lot.

John

Man, I was reading an old thread I posted a couple years ago about a game and there's a sentence where I say "it's really just shooting and slicing people." Broke my mind.

Today's update is actually a job posting. We're running short on people in certain fields (many have disappeared entirely) so we thought now was the right time. Take a look to see if you want to help out. It's not limited to gaffers, so any lurkers without accounts reading this, you're eligible as well.

http://www.grimoireassemblyforge.com/dudebro2/site/?p=1064

If you meet any of the requirements, please contact us through the website or PM Danthrax.

And since we love you all so much, we did 2 updates. The second one shows Dudebro's rendered model.

http://www.grimoireassemblyforge.com/dudebro2/site/?p=1066

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
cosmicblizzard said:
Today's update is actually a job posting. We're running short on people in certain fields (many have disappeared entirely) so we thought now was the right time. Take a look to see if you want to help out. It's not limited to gaffers, so any lurkers without accounts reading this, you're eligible as well.

http://www.grimoireassemblyforge.com/dudebro2/site/?p=1064

If you meet any of the requirements, please contact us through the website or PM Danthrax.
Yep. Please help spread the word.

V_Ben

Banned
Jocchan said:
Yep. Please help spread the word.
The more people on the project, the better. Don't f*cking say you're gonna help and then disappear. That just gets frustrating, and leads to more busywork on our end chasing you down. Just be cool :D

Top Bottom