• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dudebro: MSIFUSIHTS/SY2: The Straight-Up Official Thread!

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
sorry guys...i'm still unemployed, and now I am homeless (stayin in a hotel atm). I got round 2 of 5 of an interview for a job tomorrow, but I really can't take on any more stress-inducing things until I get mah life back on track :(

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
zon said:
How far along is this now? I'm looking forward to trying it.
Still not far along enough to show it publicly :(

bistromathics said:
sorry guys...i'm still unemployed, and now I am homeless (stayin in a hotel atm). I got round 2 of 5 of an interview for a job tomorrow, but I really can't take on any more stress-inducing things until I get mah life back on track :(
Damn it, I had no idea. Think of sorting your stuff out first, man, we'll still be here once you do. Best of luck!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I just want to say great work on all recent updates. I'm having a hard time suppressing laughter while reading these weapon/character descriptions at work.

As for myself, I still haven't heard from anything about the alternate translations for Doommeyer, so I'll hopefully be able to get some more recording done soon.

Bravo to everyone on board - keep it up :)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
B-Genius said:
Guys, I just want to say great work on all recent updates. I'm having a hard time suppressing laughter while reading these weapon/character descriptions at work.

As for myself, I still haven't heard from anything about the alternate translations for Doommeyer, so I'll hopefully be able to get some more recording done soon.

Bravo to everyone on board - keep it up :)
Thanks man :D And you have a PM!

whitehawk

Banned
So I decided to put some of the music we've done so far on my iPod, but you see I need album art for all of my music. So I created some album art, and thought I would share with you guys.

aYAey.jpg

whitehawk said:
So I decided to put some of the music we've done so far on my iPod, but you see I need album art for all of my music. So I created some album art, and thought I would share with you guys.

aYAey.jpg
Thanks for this, I was currently just using the logo for album art.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Important notice:
We're finally moving away from the waves. Yep! No one ever liked using Google Wave, many actively hated it. I even had confirmation of some members of the team losing interest in the entire project because they couldn't stand them (no, I'm not kidding). Participation on IRC has also been much lower than expected, with just a small part of the team ever entering the Dudebro channel and an even smaller one using it regularly.

So, we've been setting up a development forum. Besides being more user friendly than both, it should also allow for much more communication and work as a single central hub for all the teams (so, yeah, you can see what everyone is doing and give feedback/more ideas even if you signed up for something different) and as a good repository for the information (scripta manent). Also, it allows thread and subforum subscriptions, so you can get notified of any updates instantly.

It's not a public forum, it's only meant to aid internal communication (unfortunately, just one thread is not enough as all the information gets buried quickly, that's why we've been using external tools), so the link won't be given publicly. Once the forum is ready, the whole team will receive the link via mail or PM.

Meanwhile, if you want to help making the transition from the waves faster, shoot me a PM. We have a lot of stuff to move around, and the sooner we finish, the better! :)

Google Wave's been telling me it's been down for the last few weeks, anyway... we were going to have to move away from it sometime or other, as Google was going to kill it eventually, so this is a good decision.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
cooljeanius said:
Google Wave's been telling me it's been down for the last few weeks, anyway... we were going to have to move away from it sometime or other, as Google was going to kill it eventually, so this is a good decision.
Really? It still works for me.
Anyway, glad to hear that and yeah, we needed to move anyway and a central hub for discussion has been needed for a while.

whitehawk

Banned
Jocchan said:
Important notice:
We're finally moving away from the waves. Yep! No one ever liked using Google Wave, many actively hated it. I even had confirmation of some members of the team losing interest in the entire project because they couldn't stand them (no, I'm not kidding). Participation on IRC has also been much lower than expected, with just a small part of the team ever entering the Dudebro channel and an even smaller one using it regularly.

So, we've been setting up a development forum. Besides being more user friendly than both, it should also allow for much more communication and work as a single central hub for all the teams (so, yeah, you can see what everyone is doing and give feedback/more ideas even if you signed up for something different) and as a good repository for the information (scripta manent). Also, it allows thread and subforum subscriptions, so you can get notified of any updates instantly.

It's not a public forum, it's only meant to aid internal communication (unfortunately, just one thread is not enough as all the information gets buried quickly, that's why we've been using external tools), so the link won't be given publicly. Once the forum is ready, the whole team will receive the link via mail or PM.

Meanwhile, if you want to help making the transition from the waves faster, shoot me a PM. We have a lot of stuff to move around, and the sooner we finish, the better! :)
Yeah, this sounds like a great idea. Let me know if you need help setting it up.

Jocchan said:
Really? It still works for me.
Anyway, glad to hear that and yeah, we needed to move anyway and a central hub for discussion has been needed for a while.
Oh, never mind... I just hadn't refreshed it recently. There was some time though when it was just giving me a picture of a beach and the message, "Surf's out, dude. Time to chillax," and something about Wave being down for maintenance.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
IMPORTANT
- The level/mission structure in Dudebro has been tweaked. Check this post for more details.
- We're about to move from Google Wave (they'll be shut down) to a development forum (not public, just for the team), which - by the way - would improve quite a lot our internal communication.

howtojoin.png

If you want to help:
1. Follow this FAQ: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_23cgnp39cs (will be updated once the forum is launched)
2. PM Danthrax your e-mail to be added to the staff list, Dropbox and the dev forum
3. Contact your team lead to get assignments
4. Make sure you keep following the dev forum, this thread, and read the GDD
5. Remember that no one will PM you asking to do X or Y (we're too many), if you need assignments/feedback/direction/info/a beer/whatever just PM your lead
6. Use the IRC channel (more details below) and the dev forum to stay in touch with the team!!!
7. ???
8. PROFIT!

Useful links:
Sign-up FAQ: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_23cgnp39cs
Dudebro Game Design Document: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_8dv7w2pfm
Dudebro official website: http://www.dudebro2.com
Dudebro Wiki (outdated): http://dudebro.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
CafePress Store: http://www.cafepress.com/dudebro2

And CHECK YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES because I or another Dudebro volunteer may have PMed you about something important!

IRC details:
server: irc.gamecubecafe.com
channel: #dudebro

thank you for your attention and have a fantastic day!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
John said:
Good to hear about the forum, the waves indeed were inefficient
Definitely. The forum is going to launch, hopefully, in a couple of days, as soon as we have assignments ready for all the teams and we finish backing up content from the waves.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
John said:
So I got a professional reamping service on one of my tunes, should make it sound better : D
Oh, awesome.

Anyway, the dev forums are finally nearly ready to go. The assignments for most teams are already up, and so are many feedback and brainstorming threads. Unlike the waves, everyone will be finally able to see what everyone else is doing, and possibly to give feedback too :)

_Bro

Banned
So I'm really tempted to just write fan-fiction back story to DudeBro. How does the DudeBro team feel about a _Bro dishing out a prequel to the original that never existed?

_Bro

Banned
In a time when a beard was just a soul patch, when the ground was ashed from war -- there stood a boy. The year was 2146 and Earth is a wasteland that has been destroyed in epic battles and guitar solos never cut off from record companies. The world had run rampant, there were no rules; anyone could just Ice anyone for anything.

It was madness.

Deep in a mountain cave there was a facility codenamed S.H.U. It operations were educationally.. covert. This is where our hero lived. He had been accepted to the university based on his promise: a gnarly beard and bulging veins for such a young age. His struggles were real, his victories changed everything.

We owe it all to him. We owe it all to his story. This is that story -- THIS IS

DudeBro: The College Years

/opening

Chapter 1: Nutrition is Radical

edit: i'll figure out a new way to get this out without bumping the thread. i figure seeing this thing pop up without any real info is kind of lame

So has anyone else got an email from Dropbox reminding you to start using it again? I just got one... it makes sense, as I rarely get Growl notifications telling me stuff in our Dropbox has been updated any more...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
cooljeanius said:
So has anyone else got an email from Dropbox reminding you to start using it again? I just got one... it makes sense, as I rarely get Growl notifications telling me stuff in our Dropbox has been updated any more...
Wait, files on Dropbox get updated all the time.

so1337

Jocchan said:
That's absolutely epic, so1337!
Thanks. Should I go ahead and store a hi-res version in the dropbox folder for finished artwork? Or do you want me to store it in the WIP section for now?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Jocchan said:
That's absolutely epic, so1337!

Yep, the PMs are coming any minute now!

Hit me up as well when you do, just to check on things and eventual contributions :)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
whitehawk said:
?

Forum has been live for a while.
Yeah, but the link wasn't sent to the whole team because we were still setting it up and porting stuff from the waves.
We haven't finished entirely yet, but now we have a number of assignments and feedback/brainstorming threads up, so it's good to go.

so1337 said:
Thanks. Should I go ahead and store a hi-res version in the dropbox folder for finished artwork? Or do you want me to store it in the WIP section for now?
Finished is okay :)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
An iPhone version was actually being considered, after the PC version, since day one. It's one of the reasons why we're going so lowpoly, besides trying to keep the system requirements down. Also, the pixel art cutscenes have been designed taking into account the iPhone screen size, and the 1024x768 resolution we're using for the Web Player is coincidentally the same as the iPad.

We would probably have to scale down (heavily) the physics, lower the enemy count and cut the missions into separate ones you can choose from a menu/map, but I'm confident it would work quite well.

EDIT: Also, Sill4, shagg and Ultros, your accounts are active on the dev forum.

Stalfos

Got the link for the forum, I'm hoping to use this as a chance to get back and trying to design some concept art again. I got busy with finishing up grad school and didn't keep updated with the project. I've graduated and I'm still looking for a job so I should have the free time to help out.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Stalfos said:
Got the link for the forum, I'm hoping to use this as a chance to get back and trying to design some concept art again. I got busy with finishing up grad school and didn't keep updated with the project. I've graduated and I'm still looking for a job so I should have the free time to help out.
Hey Stalfos! Congrats for graduating, by the way :)

I'll be activating accounts for a bit more, and then activating the rest tomorrow morning. If you didn't receive a PM with a link to the dev forum, you probably will shortly. Should this not happen within the next 12 hours, please let me know by either posting here or PMing me.

Top Bottom