• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dudebro: MSIFUSIHTS/SY2: The Straight-Up Official Thread!

Kccitystar

Wormdundee said:
It's important to remember that he is Dudebro
Your example is very dude, but not bro enough. Try to throw in some collar popping, or shotgunning bad beer.

Okay, fighting a boss, he should pop his collar and walk away from the big explosion in slo-mo

Hell he should walk away from every major explosion in slo-mo

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Okay programmers, this is for you:

The brodacious gameplay mechanics:

Genre: Top Down Shooter
Platform: Internet Browser
Engine: Unity3D

The game screen:

The game takes place on a single, simple screen. The map and characters will be polygonal.

Basic mechanics:

Each level is a single screen. Soldiers/monsters/robots (whatever the main enemy for the stage is) appear from all sides. There is a timer counting down. Within the time allotted, Dudebro must eliminate all enemies. Once done, the boss appears.

There is no health bar. There is only the brodiocity meter. Brodiocity increases as Dudebro kills enemies, but it decreases as Dudebro is hit. Dudebro can pick up bromaine lettuce and light beer as multipliers for brodiocity increase.

Dudebro has two main attacks: Beard whip, and gun fire. Gun fire does not deflect any bullets , but it is long range, and usually the best way to kill enemies. The beard whip can deflect weak bullets (green) but cannot deflect strong shots (blue). Deflected bullets can hurt/kill enemies.

Babes in danger will appear, and if touched by Dudebro, will join his entourage, protecting him from harm (they're a shield, lolz). Babes who get hit too much will leave Dudebro for a cooler dawg.

Once bosses appear, the brodiocity meter changes to a tug of war. As the boss hits Dudebro, their half of the brodiocity meter will increase (decreasing Dudebro's). As Dudebro hits the boss' weak point, his half of the brodiocity will increase (decreasing the boss'). The boss is defeated when the player fills the meter. If the boss fills the meter, Dudebro is disgraced, and must start the level over.

Once the boss is defeated, the boss' dudely spirit appears, and begs Dudebro for forgiveness. Players mash a button to fist bump the spirit as hard as they can, sending the spirit to dude paradise, and destroying the boss for good.

Irish

Hey, thetrin, do you have any lines written up for Brolling Stan, Reverend Brahnson, or Pesquale? I feel like doing some more useless recording (it's fun) for them, but I don't know the sort of stuff they would say.

Hey thetrin, you can add this to the op if you want:
nf5qmh.jpg

ht69tt.jpg

This one was done by another poster, EdwardTivrusky, based on the sprite I did.
fo413t.jpg

Would love to help a little with the game, but I dont have much time. If I have some free time maybe I do something.

I was wondering about all of the pictures showing up on GAF. I only read a little of the babyz thread, but wow, this is screwed up.

looking forward to playing it

Ranger X

Guys, if this ends up a real XNA game or something along those lines and that it's some 2D shooter (maybe contrat style?) I will SO buy it.

Lyude77

soul creator said:
if you need an official Dudebro rap done, I'm your man...er...bro :lol

edit: aha
It's good stuff, I listened to Recessioner, you have a good calm rapping style. I always rap aggressively, though I'm nowhere near your level (I'm especially bad at creative writing, haha). I'm sure you guys would make a good credits/viral video rap.

Oh, and one of the rankings you get at the end of the stage based on how many you killed should be brahful.

Keep up the good work guys, this stuff is really making me laugh. :lol

Oh, make sure you keep the option to slice. I guess the beard can count as slicing, though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Jocchan said:
I must have missed it :O Let me do a quick search!

Yeah, I had it in this post:
http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=18800651&postcount=690

And just so you don't miss my edit of the post in this topic:
Maybe make him looks like a pathetically weak and frail scientist with an overly clashing bad ass eye scar and eye patch from when Dudebro stabbed out his eye. For added effect, make a hole in his hair on the back a bunch of stitches and metal staples behind he eye, showing just how far Dudebro stabbed him.

Maybe for added effect, if the game is long enough, skip him being over 7 games and just have Dudebro fight him a number of times in the game single game.

Maybe also make it so he will do the standard evil scientist rant, but you still keep full control of Dudebro, so you can ether listen to what he has to say, or just start shooting/slicing him.

Carlisle

So I'm at work doing work stuff and I came across this drug called Bromocriptine. It's used to treat infertility. It has potential for awesomeness.

Tim-E

thetrin said:

The game screen:

The game takes place on a single, simple screen. The map and characters will be polygonal.

Basic mechanics:

Each level is a single screen. Soldiers/monsters/robots (whatever the main enemy for the stage is) appear from all sides. There is a timer counting down. Within the time allotted, Dudebro must eliminate all enemies. Once done, the boss appears.

There is no health bar. There is only the brodiocity meter. Brodiocity increases as Dudebro kills enemies, but it decreases as Dudebro is hit. Dudebro can pick up bromaine lettuce and light beer as multipliers for brodiocity increase.

Dudebro has two main attacks: Beard whip, and gun fire. Gun fire does not deflect any bullets , but it is long range, and usually the best way to kill enemies. The beard whip can deflect weak bullets (green) but cannot deflect strong shots (blue). Deflected bullets can hurt/kill enemies.

Babes in danger will appear, and if touched by Dudebro, will join his entourage, protecting him from harm (they're a shield, lolz). Babes who get hit too much will leave Dudebro for a cooler dawg.

Once bosses appear, the brodiocity meter changes to a tug of war. As the boss hits Dudebro, their half of the brodiocity meter will increase (decreasing Dudebro's). As Dudebro hits the boss' weak point, his half of the brodiocity will increase (decreasing the boss'). The boss is defeated when the player fills the meter. If the boss fills the meter, Dudebro is disgraced, and must start the level over.

Once the boss is defeated, the boss' dudely spirit appears, and begs Dudebro for forgiveness. Players mash a button to fist bump the spirit as hard as they can, sending the spirit to dude paradise, and destroying the boss for good.

This sounds fucking awesome and absolutely doable.

Will the game have powerups and what not? Like maybe a gun you can pick up that only has one clip of ammo or whatever before you drop it and go back to the default?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Carlisle said:
So I'm at work doing work stuff and I came across this drug called Bromocriptine. It's used to treat infertility. It has potential for awesomeness.

:lol

Definitely should be used as an invincibility powerup.

Ca1amity

Neo Member
Totally subscribed - cant believe I get busy, leave gaf for a bit and miss a bomb ass thread.
OP images here had me grinning like mad

Also willing to do voice work - especially if you want to have an opening bro narration a la "are you a bad enough dude" because lets face it, this story? It's the pinnacle of brorytelling at any kegger.

Project manager should let the many people wanting to contribute voices know if you guys want a sample reel or if we should wait for a character list and apply then.

Oh, and a few pages back there was a question about DMC style rankings, if you wanted them to all start with B then maybe
D= Brahcceptable
C= Brawsome
B= Bromonuclear
A= Bromageddon
breaking with the "B" 's, only for the best:
S= Dudebro
S+= Dudebro, Bro. Honestly? You dont even know

That last one is a broliner I hear all the time where I live
You can get a lot funnier opening it up though.

EDIT: missed an "r" in "brorytelling"

tmaynard

Since it's going in the direction of a top-down shooter. It would be very beneficial for those working on it to at least demo Crimsonland if they haven't played it before. It's very well done and I'd love to see some of its gameplay mechanics used in Dudebro.

You can find it here, http://www.crimsonland.com/?menu=downloads

Also, I am willing to help out with any web design/development that may be needed for this project.

Sounds fucking great thetrin! You have my support (and a couple of bucks if you need that at some point [honestly, as soon it's clear that this project will bear fruit, I don't think you'll have trouble funding it via gaf, you got a lot of friends to help you out])

Tim-E said:
I'm a fucking sociology major so I don't know how much help I can be. :lol
Erm... I'm taking a BA in Japanese.. I'll guess I'll do the localization for our Japanese fans, we'll give them: やつガイ!!

Edit: tmaynard!!! You make the official candy!!!

Edit2: Crap Mik's japanese is much stronger than mine, my job has already been taken ;_;

Tim-E

Yeah once this gets rolling, I would have no trouble making a donation to help development costs, if there would be any.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Good to see a real thread.
Let's get this shit underway bros!
EDIT: Willing to help in anyway i can.
Except actually making the game =/

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
soul creator said:
if you need an official Dudebro rap done, I'm your man...er...bro :lol

edit: aha

I just listened to one of them and it sounds awesome!

cooljeanius said:
I can make a Facebook page for Dudebro if people want.

That sounds good. If you want some help coming up with ideas for it, give me a PM.

Machine said:
I know that buried in the Babiez thread was a link to a Cafepress store someone set up. Perhaps that should follow to this new thread too. Maybe there could be a small commission which could go towards development costs (if any).

Yeah, theusedversion set that up. He's currently selling the merch commission-free but I agree that we should have maybe a 10 percent commission to cover the costs of registering Dudebro as a trademark (which will cost $275).

Ca1amity

Neo Member
Tim-E said:
Maybe the fabled Dudebro I took place on Shadow Broses Island.

I want to give you the biggest fistbump for that right now bro.

Hopefully first, and only, time I'll backseat "write" unless they open it up but I just wanted to chime in and say when youre planning levels/story, please tap the pop culture goldmine until it makes you sick.

For example: If Dudebro had to deal with a level called "Brah-ck to the Future" where the anti-bros have gone back to that ragin' time last week at Steve's place, you remember the one - with the chick with the rack. Yeah. And they totally stole all the Natty; which would leave Dudebro powerless to assault Mexico

Im sickeningly full of these stupid dumbass puns/concepts but I think you get what I'm saying.

OK one more... Mid-game torture scene ripping off MGS: Will you give in to the beard trimming and let Chicken get choked brah? Press space bar then! Don't be a douchelord, dawg.

John

thetrin said:
CURRENT CREW:

Concept Art:

Jocchan

Design:
Jocchan
Thetrin

Writing:
Thetrin

3D Modeling:
Mik2121

Programming:
???

Sound:
V_Ben

IP Law:
Manos

Music:
John

Plus additional sound if it's usable.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Btw, Danthrax, thanks again for doing organizational stuff. We're so busy with actually making the game @_@

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
[Nintex] said:
As one of the original Bro's I could be some sort of special advisor for the project. I can also write PR messages and HYPE HYPE HYPE.

If you (or anyone else) would like to help me write funny, in-character tweets, that would be great. =)

thetrin said:
Btw, Danthrax, thanks again for doing organizational stuff. We're so busy with actually making the game @_@

No problem! Every game needs a producer, and I suppose that's kinda the role I'm filling here.

To everyone else: This thread is moving really fast, so I miss something, please PM me. I'm trying my best =P

centracore

John said:
Music:
John

Plus additional sound if it's usable.

I was just going to throw my name in for music (and programming if you still need it, I've been dicking around in Unity iPhone for awhile now so I am pretty familiar with both Unity 3D and Unity iPhone).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Drkirby said:
Yeah, I had it in this post:
http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=18800651&postcount=690

And just so you don't miss my edit of the post in this topic:

Maybe for added effect, if the game is long enough, skip him being over 7 games and just have Dudebro fight him a number of times in the game single game.

Maybe also make it so he will do the standard evil scientist rant, but you still keep full control of Dudebro, so you can ether listen to what he has to say, or just start shooting/slicing him.
I'm perfectly fine with the mad scientist :D
Actually, it would also help for the background of another boss fight I was planning... ;)

tmaynard

Metroid Killer said:
Edit: tmaynard!!! You make the official candy!!!

I would imagine it would be like the keg shaped rootbeer flavored hard candy, except it tasted like Natty Light or Gasoline.

Or a enormous jawbreaker that was in the shape of a fist, so you could fist bump it.

thetrin said:

The game screen:

Basic mechanics:

So it's going to be a Smash TV style kind of thing then. Sounds good to me, and it's very doable.

scitek

tmaynard said:
I would imagine it would be like the keg shaped rootbeer flavored hard candy, except it tasted like Natty Light or Gasoline.

Or a enormous jawbreaker that was in the shape of a fist, so you could fist bump it.
:lol

After listening to it a bunch of times, I realize this sample is terrible but I uploaded it anyway. My friend had to leave so I only had time to do two lines on the spot. On top of all that, Sendspace was the only site that wasn't being a dick, so I uploaded it there. Just so you guys know what my voice sounds like, here it is, but don't expect it to be this bad when I actually try.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/k6mb4n

Top Bottom