• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons and Dragons: Who still plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
OK, questions for the DM's.

Do you ever nerf at-will powers?

Example, Paladin's laying hands or Warlock's Curse.

These are both at will powers, and in Warlock's case a minor. It seems weird that warlock can just curse a target every turn, especially for the status effect it causes.

Wondering about this for an upcoming level 1 adventure I'm running.

The curse is kind of one of their most important things, and no I have never seen anyone nerf any of the at wills. At will powers are extremely important especially later on as they become core and lead into other powers and abilities for the class. Also players are very limited in what they can do in an encounter, so they greatly depend on having at will abilities, since in many cases players will spend much of their abilities in a battle.

JayDubya

Banned
dude said:
I'd join, but I believe the time difference makes that pretty impossible. Good luck though.

The GAF D&D group I've been DM'ing plays on Sunday nights at 6:30p CST - 10:30p CST.

In Israel, that would be Monday, 2:30a-6:30a. So probably! :p

As for D&D, it's funny, 4e is very combat oriented and everything is basically built around combat, but a friend of mine just bought the AD&D books again, and man, is it different. There's even a pharagraph explaining why AD&D is not about combat and that combat should be reduced to the minimum. I vastly prefer AD&D's way of handeling things.

I have my brother's old AD&D books, and I bought the 2nd Ed DMG and PHB with my lawnmowing money and tried to get my high school friends interested in playing, no dice (pun intended). Didn't start until 3.5 in college. But honestly I love 4th and Pathfinder and probably wouldn't play an older D&D if presented the opportunity, except for maybe as a one-shot for novelty.

ultron87

ChiTownBuffalo said:

These are both at will powers, and in Warlock's case a minor. It seems weird that warlock can just curse a target every turn, especially for the status effect it causes.

Warlock's need curse to do the damage required of their role as a Striker. If you're going to nerf Curse you better nerf Rogue Backstab and Ranger's Hunter's Quarry (to name two examples) to keep your strikers in the same line for damage. And nerf monster HP as well.

(Edit: And as mentioned in the post below, it really isn't even that much damage, so the extra effects keep it in line where it fails in terms of damage.)

Is Lay on Hands usable as many times as a Paladin wants in combat? I haven't had one of those in a party in a long time.

JayDubya

Banned
Riposte said:
Every time I've tried to run DnD online, it has never panned out. Either too slow or too messy. How are you going about it? (I am not throwing my hat in, just curious. A little too busy unfortunately.)

MapTool with Rumble Framework v5; it tracks initiative, it applies and removes debuffs, it prompts for saving throws, manages rechargeable enemy powers... it keeps combat moving efficiently - at times better than a DM could otherwise sitting a table with pencil and paper... though not always. It can't do everything automatically, but you wouldn't really want it to...

ChiTownBuffalo said:

The Warlock's various curses (based on their pact) are their method, as a Striker, of doing bonus damage (and all Strikers have a bonus damage ability). All in all, Warlocks are some of the weakest Strikers from a pure DPR perspective, however, they get some amazing and useful abilities and many of their powers come with strong debuffs, making them a Controller-lite in addition to being a Striker.

Warlock's Curse

At-Will
Minor Action
Effect: You can place a Warlock’s Curse on the enemy nearest to you that you can see. A cursed enemy is more vulnerable to your attacks. If you hit a cursed enemy with an attack, you deal extra damage. You decide whether to apply the extra damage after making the damage roll. You can deal this extra damage once per round, so if you have dealt Warlock’s Curse damage since the start of your turn, you cannot deal it again until the start of your next turn.
A Warlock’s Curse remains in effect until the end of the encounter or until the cursed enemy is defeated.
You can place a Warlock’s Curse on multiple targets over the course of an encounter; each curse requires the use of a minor action. You can’t place a Warlock’s Curse on a creature that is already affected by your or another character’s Warlock’s Curse.

As you advance in level, your extra damage increases.
Level Warlock’s Curse Extra Damage
1st–10th +1d6
11th–20th +2d6
21st–30th +3d6

So, I mean, that's pretty weak, right? Sneak attack is also once per round only by default, and that starts at 2d6 and goes up to 5d6. Also, even if multiple people are cursed and you have an attack that hits multiple people, you only apply the bonus damage once a round (so pick one).

The sweet stuff is not in the curse itself, it comes from killing someone that is cursed and gaining the benefit, like a free teleport, or some extra THP, or whatever.

Absolutely no reason to nerf or consider overpowered.

As far as Lay On Hands goes???

Lay On Hands
Your divine touch instantly heals wounds.
At-Will Divine, Healing
Minor Action Melee touch
Special: You can use this power a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1), but only once per round.
Target: One creature
Effect: You spend a healing surge but regain no hit points. Instead, the target regains hit points as if it had spent a healing surge. You must have at least one healing surge remaining to use this power.

Especially with a standard point buy, at level one, this is a 1-3x per DAY heal. Even with focusing only on Str and Wis, my rolled-stats Paragon L14 Paladin can only lay on hands 5x day.

I realize it used to be a 1x day, very dinky heal in 3.5 and earlier editions, but daily healing is emergency healing in 4th. You can't routinely rely on it because all Leaders now get some kind of 2x per encounter, and encounters are written with that expectation.

It's only "at-will" in the sense your entire quota of Wis mod per day can be used up in the space of one encounter.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
OK, sweet, thanks for the input.

ultron87

Cool, I knew Lay on Hands had to have some sort of limit, otherwise it'd be spectacularly broken. I just don't have the books in front of me here at work.

ChiTownBuffalo

Man, I actually want to play D&D regularly now.

Must rearrange MMA/Jiujitsu schedule to accomodate.

And I forgot, as a 34 year old, I can drink beer and play! So awesome.

JayDubya

Banned
ultron87 said:
Cool, I knew Lay on Hands had to have some sort of limit, otherwise it'd be spectacularly broken. I just don't have the books in front of me here at work.

There are two cases where Paladin healing via Lay on Hands is awesome.

1) A "spike" encounter where you only have one big fight in a given day and that fight is expected to use all of your resources - the Cleric / Warlord / Bard can only use their encounter power twice and then they hopefully picked healing dailes and utilities or they're done. A high-Wis Paladin can drop all of his heals in that one fight.

2) After a long marathon day of encounters such that PCs are out of surges. Paladins spend their own surges to heal with Lay on Hands, a unique property. If you are out of healing surges, a Cleric's Healing Word cannot help you - a Paladin can still sacrifice his surges to save you, though.

dude said:
You don't have to play it like that, but the book is basically all about combat now.

AD&D is very, very good BTW, much better than I remembered... I mean, I remembered it as a very complicated and clumsy, but it's actually pretty light-weight and easy.

I dont think 4E core is any more about combat than any other edition. AD&D is still fun but a horrible game to run until the DM has all the page look ups for the charts, etc.

Played it for years so it has a lot of fond memories, but the rules are not part of that. I dint think I could ever go back to being a fighter that just swings a sword over and over and over.

God damn the new web based character builder is shit. Was going to do some LFR at big con coming up but fuck they took away compatibility with the campaigns and the LFR program is so shitty now. We are all signing up for Pathfinder events instead and just skipping any LFR at the con.

krypt0nian said:
I dont think 4E core is any more about combat than any other edition. AD&D is still fun but a horrible game to run until the DM has all the page look ups for the charts, etc.

Played it for years so it has a lot of fond memories, but the rules are not part of that. I dint think I could ever go back to being a fighter that just swings a sword over and over and over.

D&D has always had a stigma as being very combat heavy and often because it's people's first RPG so they usually just focus only on combat dungeon crawls over trying to tell stories and roleplay. Also WOTC does a shitty job of promoting roleplaying as their modules are combat filled crap for the most part, and then they do the stupid weekly encounters thing at stores to attract players. And the living worlds campaigns are pretty much nothing but combat with some shitty skill tests tossed in to replace actual roleplaying segments.

D&D is also extremely rule heavy which all pertains to combat pretty much. Other RPG's on the market usually have a small rule section for combat, but emphasize setting and roleplaying aspects over "complex" detailed combat rule sets and tons of charts.

If you got a good group with a good DM who cares about story telling and actual roleplayers, things can be more intersting.

BattleMonkey said:
God damn the new web based character builder is shit. Was going to do some LFR at big con coming up but fuck they took away compatibility with the campaigns and the LFR program is so shitty now. We are all signing up for Pathfinder events instead and just skipping any LFR at the con.

They needed to beta test that for another 6 months before replacing a perfectly fine character builder. So much missing content/options. smh

ChiTownBuffalo

This is the first time I've ever used minis for roleplaying.

And to be honest, it grew on my quickly.

But, I don't think this means I'm going to start playin 40K or anything.

I dunno, I guess I don't really have any complaints so far since its been so long since I played at all, and I'm a completely different age/person since last I played.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
This is the first time I've ever used minis for roleplaying.

And to be honest, it grew on my quickly.

But, I don't think this means I'm going to start playin 40K or anything.

I dunno, I guess I don't really have any complaints so far since its been so long since I played at all, and I'm a completely different age/person since last I played.

If you're interested www.trollandtoad.com does lots of commons/uncommons from the various dnd mini sets for dirt cheap.

ChiTownBuffalo

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
ChiTownBuffalo said:
My wallet hates you.
I know the feeling. I wish they have a frequent buyer program.

If you're starting from scratch, they have assorted bundles sorted by race/terrain. But I wouldn't get more than one or two of those since you'll end up with a fair amount of duplicates.

JayDubya

Banned
KittenMaster said:
I really should try playing with you guys again now that I'm not banned.

Is the Community thread still in use?

Oh wow, long time no see man. Sure, if you can fit it in with our gametime, it'd be great to play with you again.

"The Official NeoGAF D&D Thread" is still in Community but I haven't messed with it in like a year or more. We had an Obsidian Portal site, too, I need to update that.

ChiTownBuffalo

BattleMonkey said:
Punish it and buy high quality reaper figs

My wallet now looks at you balefully.

ChiTownBuffalo

I can't go down the non-painted route. I'm horrible at stuff like that.

Where can I get pre-painted minis?

ChiTownBuffalo said:

Well I know of the Wizards line, plus Reaper has their Legendary Encounters line.

Sorry about that wallet btw. Was trying to help!

BattleMonkey, those are the coolest dwarf figs I've ever seen! Bought! And that amazing Elven Priest fig.

ChiTownBuffalo

I found nobleknight.com

Has a bunch of prepainted figures, loose for cheap.

I likes my minis how I likes my women.

Anyone else play Supers games? System preferences? Best system you've played in the past?

I'm digging the RPG-lite Icons by Steve Kenson, the same guy behind last year's excellent Mutants & Masterminds and DC Adventures. I've had endless fun with TSR's Marvel Superheroes, as well as Mayfair's DC Heroes, and for a time had a great GM for the ruthlessly rules heavy Champions.

Prepping an adventure for the M&M 3rd edition system now and cannot wait to debut it for my regular gaming group when I get back to Chicago in April.

Anyone interested in the QuickStart rules? - http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com/dc_adventures/2010/08/dc-adventures-quick-start.php

Edit: Yup, noble knight is a great resource. :)

Songbird

Prodigal Son
JayDubya said:
The GAF D&D group I've been DM'ing plays on Sunday nights at 6:30p CST - 10:30p CST.

In Israel, that would be Monday, 2:30a-6:30a. So probably! :p
Hi, sorry I haven't kept up with the thread and missed info like this!

After what you've told me I've borrowed a few 4e rulebooks from a friend of mine and had a good look through the classes. Warlock keeps standing out to me so I think I would go with that to begin with. Constitution focus with ranged attacking and foe debilitation sounds like my kind of class.

ChiTownBuffalo said:

Wizards D&D stuff is the most accessible really, Reaper legends line is also prepainted but harder to get ahold of and a limited selection.

Problem with D&D figs is that WOTC has stopped production, the sets are all out of print and the prices are not going to get any cheaper on the figs, while some just get harder and more expensive to get. Lot of people buying up as much as they can get, especially the common ones that people need lots of. Got friends who have huge collections, but getting ahold of the figs is going to be tough as time goes on.

ChiTownBuffalo

The group I'm DM'ming, is just...not well balanced.

Tiefling Warlock
Eladrin Rogue
Dragonborn Fighter
Human Warpriest
Half-Elf Ranger
Elf Ranger

I'm running them through a Level 1 adventure, so I'm hoping things will be OK.

JayDubya

Banned
Thnikkaman said:
Hi, sorry I haven't kept up with the thread and missed info like this!

After what you've told me I've borrowed a few 4e rulebooks from a friend of mine and had a good look through the classes. Warlock keeps standing out to me so I think I would go with that to begin with. Constitution focus with ranged attacking and foe debilitation sounds like my kind of class.

All good.

Whether or not you have any of the books, this guide could be helpful:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thr..._Power_of_the_Dark_Side_The_Warlocks_Handbook

Warlocks can be pretty awesome. If you like a Con focus, look to the Hellfire, Vestige, or Star pacts (Star tends to be either / both Con or Cha), and for race, if not a race that gets a Con bonus, then something that gets a secondary benefit from a high Con, like a Dragonborn* or a Tiefling*.

*** Edit: Both Dragonborn and Tiefling now CAN have a +2 Con. This is a change in essentials I had not noticed yet.

Dragonborn are now +2 Strength, then and +2 Charisma OR Constitution.
Tieflings are now +2 Charisma, then +2 Intelligence OR Constitution.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
The group I'm DM'ming, is just...not well balanced.

Tiefling Warlock
Eladrin Rogue
Dragonborn Fighter
Human Warpriest
Half-Elf Ranger
Elf Ranger

I'm running them through a Level 1 adventure, so I'm hoping things will be OK.

Striker, Striker, Striker, Striker, Defender, Leader.

Well they will kill things fast, or they will die. Also, they almost all attack AC exclusively, so thickly armored foes, like higher level Soldiers will be problematic, especially if Elite, or using magic armor that you intend to drop as loot for the party.

ChiTownBuffalo

JayDubya said:
Striker, Striker, Striker, Striker, Defender, Leader.

Well they will kill things fast, or they will die. Also, they almost all attack AC exclusively, so thickly armored foes, like higher level Soldiers will be problematic, especially if Elite, or using magic armor that you intend to drop as loot for the party.

I'm trying to convince a couple of them to reroll as sorcerers or pure clerics, but they aren't having that.

I guess when they come up against the goblin hex hurlers and mages I have in store for them, they'll figure it out.

ultron87

Ran another round of Gamma World last night. Was 13 player HP from a TPK. 3 people still died from missed death saves or getting one shotted (rolling a Constitution of 4 makes that happen sometimes).

High player danger settings are fun to run.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
I'm trying to convince a couple of them to reroll as sorcerers or pure clerics, but they aren't having that.

I guess when they come up against the goblin hex hurlers and mages I have in store for them, they'll figure it out.

Best way to teach a group, is to kick their ass in an intro adventure. Let them see what they did wrong and force them to work together and creating a more balanced group.

An all striker group though can work, have seen it happen many times at organized events for 4E, where a table assignment puts all strikers at the same game and they often just tear through the adventure faster than any other table starting at the same time. They could come into problems with certain encounters but the number of striker classes in 4E gives alot of attack options that often can handle most situations. It's not ideal group build of coures, but the need for a truly balanced group in D&D is not really often the case, it's not like a MMO where you MUST have a proper balanced group build.

ChiTownBuffalo

The one funny thing about my group is how they have all bought Game Science dice.

dude

dude
The thing I hate the most about the transition from GM to player is having to settle for one character. This shit is hard, I just know I'll get sick of every character I think about :\
I thought of this rogue libertine poet, who's an oppium addict and alcoholic and has a Max Stirner-like nihilistic philosophy, but I just don't know what future I see for him, and for how long I'll find him fun...

And get your character to meet this uber cool wizard that'll kick their ass into dust. Give your wizards some innate abilites - In one of my settings the source of magic power was the stars, and all spellcasters could tell the direction, weather, and general fortune (like, if something greatly evil is aproaching) just from looking at the skies, just so your players will get how cool spellcasters are.

JayDubya

Banned
ChiTownBuffalo said:

A sorc is just a different flavor of striker, though I guess it would add more versatility, and more attacks vs. NADs. But then you'd have two Arcane Strikers and two Martial Strikers, so if you're just going for versatility, why not try a Primal Striker like Barbarian or a Divine Striker like Avenger? Or better yet, why not pick up a particularly damage focused Controller, like a blaster Wizard (or the Essentials version, the Mage).

The Warpriest is the Essentials version of Cleric - you should expect baseline cleric functionality out of the cleric. I don't think you have to worry about that, either...

My personal critique of that party would be that the four Strikers are likely to get hurt because one Defender and one Leader may not be enough... The Leader is going to need to reserve limited healing resources for his / her optimal target - the Defender who is both least likely to get hit with each given attack (though he is always deliberately drawing fire, so w/ frequent trials he / she will get hurt) and who has the highest surge value so healing him / her is going to be most efficient.

That said, certain builds of Ranger and Warlock can be pretty damn hardy, so it's not that simple. And for all I know one of the Rangers noticed their Wis secondary and went multiclass Cleric.

ChiTownBuffalo

JayDubya said:
A sorc is just a different flavor of striker, though I guess it would add more versatility, and more attacks vs. NADs. But then you'd have two Arcane Strikers and two Martial Strikers, so if you're just going for versatility, why not try a Primal Striker like Barbarian or a Divine Striker like Avenger? Or better yet, why not pick up a particularly damage focused Controller, like a blaster Wizard (or the Essentials version, the Mage).

The Warpriest is the Essentials version of Cleric - you should expect baseline cleric functionality out of the cleric. I don't think you have to worry about that, either...

My personal critique of that party would be that the four Strikers are likely to get hurt because one Defender and one Leader may not be enough... The Leader is going to need to reserve limited healing resources for his / her optimal target - the Defender who is both least likely to get hit with each given attack (though he is always deliberately drawing fire, so w/ frequent trials he / she will get hurt) and who has the highest surge value so healing him / her is going to be most efficient.

That said, certain builds of Ranger and Warlock can be pretty damn hardy, so it's not that simple. And for all I know one of the Rangers noticed their Wis secondary and went multiclass Cleric.

I tried to convince one of them to maybe be a Paladin or something similar. Trust me, it was worse, everyone originally rolled rouges and rangers, like they all thought they were damn ninjas or something.

JayDubya

Banned
ChiTownBuffalo said:
I tried to convince one of them to maybe be a Paladin or something similar. Trust me, it was worse, everyone originally rolled rouges and rangers, like they all thought they were damn ninjas or something.

Well a Paladin instead of a second ranger would fill a nice niche, yeah. Backup healer, quite effective as a tank. Lots of versatility.

Seeing the GAF group perform for all of Keep on the Shadowfell with rSpooky playing a Dwarven Fighter and chapel playing a Half-Elf Paladin, they were very effective at juggling their defender marks and keeping the Controller, Leader, and Striker safe.

The Paladin took a reach weapon focus, so frequently he would mark foes and then attack them from behind the Fighter, causing all kinds of trouble (move to hit the Paladin, and the Fighter wrecks you with an AoO; attack the Fighter, be very likely to miss, and take automatic holy damage).

But people are going to play what they want to play, especially first time players.

Personally, I'll frequently "pick last" based on how the other players picked, in order to shore up any area where the party is lacking - in D&D as in many other things, group diversity is strength.

Kaervas

Banned
I still play AD&D 2 with my group.

Last friday we had a session that spanned from 6pm to 8am.

We had a Human Samurai with the ability to raise its strength to 18/100 for a combat round, a Warlock with a wand of negation, an Amazon with some mean javelins, a Huntsman with a composite boy and a Beastrider with a silver dragon hatchling.

It was awesome, we fought some water trolls and the samurai lost its sword. We had to go underground to find it and we fought some a drow that was meant to become a vampire.

That same drow killed me by cutting my head off. It was awesome.

No minis, no battle mat.

I fail to understand the problems with combat in AD&D being limited. For me, it's the other way around. If something is not defined in the book is open for the group's interpretation. That means I don't need a specific power to kick someone in the groin and run because I can the the DM that is what I want to do. What I lack, however, is the control over the outcome of the situation. It does not have a predefined effect, which makes it all the sweeter because when I try things in real life I can't be sure to succeed or expect the same result all the time.

ChiTownBuffalo

I'm modifying a premade level one adventure.

To be honest, I can't say that I'm super impressed by the one I bought.

It leaves so many holes, which I am enjoying filling in on my own, but dang, I would not want to be a beginning DM with this.

ChiTownBuffalo said:

It leaves so many holes, which I am enjoying filling in on my own, but dang, I would not want to be a beginning DM with this.

It's a WOTC made adventure module? Frankly most of their adventures and modules have been shit to me. Much rather just design my own adventures.

ChiTownBuffalo said:

Which adventure?

ChiTownBuffalo

The Slaying Stone.

JayDubya

Banned
ChiTownBuffalo said:

Yeah, we'll be leaving the modules for a while once we finish H2: Thunderspire Labyrinth. Thunderspire does have some nice bits though. The dungeons all have some unique flavor and decent battles though there are a few problems.

You can tell that it was written before, or concurrently with, the DMG, because the loot parcels are way under what they are supposed to be, and there are no minions in the entire module as written.

But we're at what the hallmark dungeon of the module now, and I expect things to be pretty fun. The plot is terrible, and the next module also has nothing to do with the plot of the module series. Neither, I fear does P1. P2-E3 are all one continuous storyline.

I want episodic diversions from the serial plot, but I want a strong serial plot, and these first few modules lack it. I'm still brainstorming my replacement for the module, but things need to tie together more strongly.

To be honest, H3 looks pretty decent as a standalone, but the ties between it and H1/H2 are incredibly marginal.

dude

dude
Alright, I don't know how many of you will care, but today I found out the third edition of Nobilis is out!
As my avatar is the cover of the second edition book, I was pretty excited.

But then I saw pictures of the book in /tg/.

Enter at your own risk.
What have they done with my Nobilis? What is this deviantart level bullshit?

You have to consider that the original Big White Book is one of the only RPG books I can have on display, it's beautiful and the art is pretty great most of the time.
Now, to be fair, it seems that they solved most of the crunch problems, and that under the horrible mess that is the art direction are improvments the game so desperatley needed,and other than the god-awful animu art and that bishounen line there's very little references to anime. So, I'll probably still buy it soon, I hope to have impressions of the first playthrough to share here...

dude said:
Alright, I don't know how many of you will care, but today I found out the third edition of Nobilis is out!
As my avatar is the cover of the second edition book, I was pretty excited.

But then I saw pictures of the book in /tg/.

Enter at your own risk.
What have they done with my Nobilis? What is this deviantart level bullshit?

You have to consider that the original Big White Book is one of the only RPG books I can have on display, it's beautiful and the art is pretty great most of the time.
Now, to be fair, it seems that they solved most of the crunch problems, and that under the horrible mess that is the art direction are improvments the game so desperatley needed,and other than the god-awful animu art and that bishounen line there's very little references to anime. So, I'll probably still buy it soon, I hope to have impressions of the first playthrough to share here...

That...that's horrible.

dude

dude
Just so eveyone will understand the depth of this... Crime, that's the old art (click on thumbnails):

They're all prefect for the setting, and are generally pretty fantastic.
Now, we have this. (Linked to avoid uglifying this thread.)

Kaervas said:
What the hell.

I haven't read or even played nobilis but the cover is one of my favorite things.
You definitley should! The game had it's flaws, but the concept is unique and interesting enough to look past them. I understand that the third edition improves on many of the problems, but... It came at a steep price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom