• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

During your childhood, what was "that game"?

ColonelVirus

Neo Member
Pyccko said:
757070-road_rash2_gen_us_large.jpg

I played this bastard literally every day from the age of 4 to about 10. And most of that on one track: Tennessee. Don't ask me why.
I don't think I could really tell you why it connected with me so much, but I just couldn't put it down.
All through the PS1 days, I'd just keep coming back to this game.
Probably because, well goddamn, blasting a motorcycle cop in the face with a chain is pretty satisfying.

It's still my number 1 favorite game of all time, I pull out the old Genesis every couple months to give it a go.

HOLY CRAP!! Totally forgot about this game ahahaha. I used to play the PSX version for ages, specially as it was 2 player, used to have to beat my sister up so should wouldn't win. You know because games are more important than family? lol.

Road_Rash.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

I guess I didn't know it at the time, but it was the first time a game drew me in totally with it's plot. I never knew I could get attached to characters in a game, and it was certainly the first game to evoke such a wide range of emotion from me.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Hard to narrow it down to just one... so many good examples in this thread I could make a case for lots of them.

But after some though, I will say................. *drum roll*......... Shadowrun on Genesis.

pwack

I have three game experiences that stand out. All played on a crappy old Tandy 1000HX with an RGB monitor.

1. The original Bard's Tale. I had a copy of the disks, but no map or instructions. I played for countless hours but never got too far.

2. Sierra games. Started with Space Quest 1; covered a lot of Police Quest, King's Quest, and Quest for Glory (nee Hero's Quest).

3. Champions of Krynn, the SSI Gold Box Dragonlance game. My Tandy had a 3.5 inch floppy drive and an external 5.25 inch floppy drive, but no hard drive. SSI D&D games required either a hard drive or two floppy drives. I was a huge Dragonlance geek, and the wonderful day when I figured out that I could buy the 5.25 inch disk version of the game and copy the disks to 3.5 inch floppies to meet the system requirements still stands out vividly in my memory. That was more than 20 years ago.

These two were probably the biggest influences on my tastes later in life before I owned a console.

8y2QI.jpg
KynBf.jpg

Mario Bros. and Prehistoric (I think)

But the one that pretty much influenced my tastes the most was-

ybdNJ.jpg

Diddy Kong Racing

Jackl

I played games on and off through the 8 and 16 bit eras. But never really cared. It wasn't until the following that I poured through every preowned game I could find.

final_fantasy_viii-277007-1266974495.jpeg

Yes I know. It's the redheaded stepchild of FF. But goddamn did I play the everliving shit of out of it. It got me to try other FFs, other RPGs, and eventually other genres. Then as I exhausted most console libraries I moved to PC games.

Shepard

Pokémon Gold/Silver. I remeber I bought a Nintendo Power with a list of all Pokémons, how and when to catch them... I used to read it all day.

Mature

3. Starsiege Tribes - Shifter mod or nothing
103784-sierra-oldie-but-goldie-starsiege-tribes-part-1-2.jpg

2. Counter-Stirke - starting from when it was a mod
265963-pic10_super.jpg

1. Ragnarok Online - By far my most played video game of all time. Started in beta, transferred to various private servers. While flawed in a lot of ways, it was still a fantastic game with a certain charm that i've yet to encounter since playing it.
2008-10-10_00002-433x324.jpg

Strangely enough, i'm not a huge PC gamer, but these were definitely the most notable.
Honorable mentions: Starcraft, Rollercoaster Tycoon, and Super Mario World

Red UFO

Super Mario World, A Link to the Past and Yoshi's Island for me. I think what grabbed me the most of all these games was the sheer polish and the music.

Chrono_Trigger.jpg

Chrono Trigger, it was my first RPG and I never immersed myself into a game like that before. My only regret was not playing FF VI after that. If I could go back in time I would force my younger self to play that game after finishing Chrono Trigger

Newfolder

Neo Member
Four games that I had quite long time to leave.

Super Mario 3, Street Of Rage 3, Super Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat 2.

eiskaltnz

DOOM was that game for me.

It was the game that was on both my pairs of grandparents computers do anytime I would visit them it was DOOM all the way.
I cannot remember how many times I have played through the first few levels of every epsoide.

I also like to think I am a good example of someone who played a heap of very violent games when I was young and can't hurt a fly.

Also, like many others, Pokemon Yellow. I remember when my Grandfather came back from a trip to the US and he brought me a yellow Gameboy with Pokemon Yellow that he had already stared on the plane back. Best present ever!!!

AlexMogil

I played the heck out of my C64.

below_the_root.png

Played this game a bunch. Loved it. Not many heard of it.

And then there were the marathon sessions of Yar's Revenge, Video Pinball, Pac Man, and Space Invaders for the 2600. I had to walk away from half of the games because I essentially 'beat' them.

Saige

I must do better.
Diablo II
Counter Strike
Battlefield 1942

I didn’t start playing them all around the same time, but those were the first set of games that had a huge impact on me. And even though I didn’t play it until years after it came out, watching my older cousin play Morrowind and seeing just how open the world was and how free you were blew my mind away.

So around 2000-2002 gaming in my head went from Mario and Donkey Kong to all these amazing pc games I had missed out on.

Pokemon R&B.

I mean, it was like, my life was being sucked into it =O

Edit: Oh, Sonic 2 too!

Edit 3: High-five on the Ragnarok. I played that crap for years too :p

Eyeh4wk

Puppet Shadow said:
load_001.gif

Thousands of hours making tracks in this game. Good times.
Lol, I used to make some crazy-ass tracks solely with the intention to crash in the most entertaining way, and spent hours just watching the replays over and over (i guess that was the point of the game, lol). I don't even remember racing at all.

JaseMath

Definitely Zelda 2.My mom surprised me with Zelda 2 one day after school having heard me gushing over Zelda 1 on the way home from the babysitters.

Zelda 2 holds a very, very special place in my heart. I've beaten it so many times.

Zelda2Box.jpg

jgminto

Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal, Super Mario Bros. Deluxe and my single Mega Drive cartridge with Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Shinobi III, Columns and others.

blamite

1259913676_9030853.jpg

SMAS.jpg

Front~2.jpg

Definitely these three. Mario World and All Stars were two of the first SNES games I ever played, and they pretty much define the system for me. I ended up getting Ocarina by random chance, and it was the first Zelda game I had ever played. It's the entire reason I'm hooked on the series to this day.

Cystm

Pu4AE.jpg

TKOjh.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

exeg8.jpg

1ilp1.jpg

Resetting the Computer
At the time of its release, this was one of the few games which broke the 4th wall. Once Mojo is defeated, the player must "reset the computer" for the Danger Room to stop the virus being emitted on Mojo's level. However, there are no switches for doing so. Resetting the computer is meant to be literal, in that the player has to lightly press the reset button on the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis console before the time ran out. If executed well, the game will display digits as if a computer has been reset.
Although unique, this trick was widely panned by both video game magazine critics and consumers. Holding down the reset button too long would simply reset the system to the title screen as one would normally expect. This also makes the game impossible to complete when playing on the Sega Nomad and emulators without using a level select cheat, as the portable Sega Mega Drive/Genesis has no reset button.

I lost my shit when I got to that part, but loved every bit of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VvTa6.jpg

KNIHc.png

The first RPG I ever played. So good. Had me hooked from the intro music to the very end.

GavinGT

Banned
Legend of Zelda, of course. I saw that gold cart on the shelf and that awesome artwork making up the coat of arms, and I was instantly enamored.

FHIZ said:
tumblr_lmdr07hW7S1qcu3xwo1_500.jpg

my feeble child mind never gave up hope that there was a way to get away from that damn yeti.

the day I realized I couldn't, was the day my childhood died (that, or when I realized that all fruit cereal pieces have the same taste despite their color, can't remember)

Actually, you can outrun the Yeti/Snowman. You just need to be good at the game and use the "F" key to make everything go faster.

From an FAQ post at http://everything2.com/title/Skifree:
The Yetis are not invincible.

There are two ways to beat them:

The hard way
Press the 'F' key while playing the game. This will greatly increase your speed. Now that you are as fast as they are, simply run down the hill, and if you do not hit anything (or only hit a few things) you can pass the yetis.

The easy way
After you press the 'F' key, press F3. This will pause the game. Now, press the 'T' key. The game will move one frame each time you press the 'T' key. If you play the speed of one frame at a time, it is simple not to ever hit anything. This makes skiing past the yetis even easier (but it is not as much fun).

What happens to you after you pass the yetis? Well, eventually, you reach the starting area again. Not that exciting I suppose, but it's fun to know that you have beat those damn yetis, even if you did have to press some secret buttons.

Top Bottom