• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

During your childhood, what was "that game"?

Super Mario Kart (SNES)

or

Street Fighter 2 (SNES)

It's very difficult to pick which was the biggest time sink as they both consumed an incredible amount of my free time.

Chrysalis

Betrayal_at_Krondor6.jpg

I was obsessed with the books, too. But in this case, the books were the inspiration for the games (although Feist did later turn around and write novels based off of both of the games).

Chuckpebble

Tecmo Super Bowl.

I used to flatten the opposition with Jerome Brown and run or pass the length of the field with Cunningham. That game never got old. Still hasn't.

TSB%202010.000.png

Amir0x

Banned
My first game was probably Star Tropics. I remember sitting there being stumped and them my mom telling me to check a shadow and then it totally being a secret room or something and thinking that was basically the height of human achievement.

But if I look back now and think of the game of the most importance to my love of videogames, that's probably Earthbound. That really made me a gamer for life, I think.

Rich!

WarioLandGB.jpg

First game I ever got, and still one of my favourites. Changed everything for me - it was either a game boy and Wario Land for my 5th birthday, or a Game Gear and Collumns instead.

My parents made the right choice, fuck yeah

The_Legend_of_Zelda_Ocarina_of_Time_box_art.png

I'd never played anything near this game in terms of polish and scale, and I'll never feel as enthralled by a game as OOT made me feel, no matter how good it is. It just set the bar way too high at a time when I was relatively new to gaming.

Super Smash Bros: Melee comes close, though I was a tad older when that came out. I'm fairly certain that it's the game I've put the most hours into in my lifetime.

Riposte

I didn't have a game like that. Each great game I played was the greatest thing up until then(even if it really wasn't great in retrospect). From discovering JRPGs to Armored Core and on. I still occasionally get that feeling from games of today.

Qasiel

Sonic 3 & Knuckles for me.

I loved that game to pieces, and will still bust it out every now and then to have a quick blitz through Lava Reef (Love Act 1's music so much!) and maybe even Doomsday Zone. Truly the pinnacle of fine console platforming for me.

This is a toss up between Pokemon Blue and Zelda OOT for me but overall I am gonna have to side with Pokemon playing that game back in the day was the definition of magical for me, it was my first time playing game so huge and I would get lost in the world for hours doing pretty much what amounts to nothing but i really loved it.

It wasn't until Zelda OOT that i had an experience that I could say equaled Pokemon blue.

overcast

Tekken 3 was definitely one of them, so much content.
Perfect Dark was one I played with my brother all the time.
Goldeneye with just about every kid back in the day.
Pokemon Red/Silver of course.

fokkusu

Tambini said:
280px-Sonic_The_Hedgehog_-EUR-.PNG

I'm a bit younger than most of GAF but nevertheless my parents bought me a megadrive,
( probably because they were cheap by this point ) and I fell in love with this game at the age of 6.

This and the sequel. I remember when my dad bought this system to us, ah those were the days.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I would be lax if not posting these:

Space_Harrier_3D.jpg

Zaxxon_3D.jpg

My first taste of 3-D video gaming came in 1987. I was 6 years old. Mind blowing has never been a more accurate description.

They really opened my mind to the potential of gaming's future, and I knew I wanted to be around to see where it went.

KAOz said:
The Detective
Lstn4.png

This shit was WAY ahead of it's time in some sense. So incredibly good.

Loved and hated it. Played that with a friend and a dictionary as we both didnt learn english, yet. We always got stuck at the bookshelf where you had to enter the book's name.

still was obsessed enough to check it out after 15 years and finally beat it.
Great cluedo interpretation and quite mature for its time.
Good choice!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Years ago I used to get on the phone with a friend and we'd race to see who could finish Super Mario bros first. That and Revenge of Shinobi are two titles that I must've played and finished a million times, and never got tired of them

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Halo 1 for me. I didn't have an Xbox back in the day and all of my friends did. All they spoke about was Halo. Eventually I got one and fell in love with Halo. I've never lost love for Halo and still play Halo Reach to this day.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Easy.... Resident Evil 1, Metal Gear Solid 1 and the first Pro Evolution Soccer games.

Most funny is the thing with Metal Gear Solid. Geez, I remember that I loved the shit out of the demo that came enclosed to one of the Pro Evolution Soccer games. Only problem was that I didn't understand a lick of what the characters were saying (I think the demo was Japanese). Played the demo dozends of times nevertheless.

Ahh... That was pure magic.

K.Jack said:
I would be lax if not posting these:

Space_Harrier_3D.jpg

Zaxxon_3D.jpg

My first taste of 3-D video gaming came in 1987. I was 6 years old. Mind blowing has never been a more accurate description.

They really opened my mind to the potential of gaming's future, and I knew I wanted to be around to see where it went.

I used to LOVE Zaxxon 3D. I can't remember what it was called, but I also had another 3D game that was a basic SCHMUP, only you could control the depth of your ship.

Tenchu.jpg

Tomb Raider and MGS were two of my favorite games at the time and the first Tenchu combined them so perfectly that it quickly became a favorite too. The game was already pretty awesome, but then I found out about a debug menu that allowed me to generate items, enemies, control other characters and even had a unfinished 2-player mode that pretty much broke the camera. I lost count of how many hours I spent generating a bunch of invincible Onikages and fighting them on rooftops...

Found a video of someone doing similar stuff with the debug menu.

mt1200

donkey_kong_country_3.jpg

I beat it like 20 times, there were better games though, but I only had about 4 games when kid :( .

and this one of course:

super_mario_world_box.jpg

Top Bottom