• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

During your childhood, what was "that game"?

Ribbon

Never spent so much time with a game before it, probably won't play something that much again.

b2Djn.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
ElTopo said:
The games are still pretty damn expensive - Robot 3 costs 17.85€ to 'unlock' (aka to get your own key) and it's really the only one that's still awesome and by far better than the other ones, including Robot 4 (which is completely cluttered, confusing and easy to 'screw up' as far as I remember). But it's really not worth 18€ and I only have it because my brother spent the money on it.

As far as I can tell the original guys from the company don't really have too much time or interest in the game anymore (which would explain why they didn't answer you I guess), which is unfortunate because they definitely could have made a lot more money if they had offered the games in English and at a reasonable price.

I really should've made a video last time I played through Robot 3...

The strange thing is, I was in contact with the developer. Its only one guy who is still sort of taking care of it and he isnt too terribly interested in these games anymore. But he gave me the go and all the files needed for the translations. I am even officially listed as translator in the english beta.

Unfortunately, he didnt want to release any game until all games have been translated. He also thought that there wouldnt be too much interest in an english version anyway. The fact that Robjun, Robot I and II are already completely translated but no one can play them makes me sad :( He even already HAS the current Beta with those translated versions, but he didnt get back to me as I mentioned before, which is sort of why the project stopped.

Grah.

:(

Saroyan

I played lots of games to death when I was a kid, Mega Man 2, Mario 3, Mario world, Final Fantasy II (IV), Super Mario Kart, but the one that definitely got the most playtime was

I think I had just about every version of Street Fighter II that was released for SNES, I loved it so much, hehe. I actually nerd-raged and smashed an SNES controller on the floor fighting M. Bison on the hardest difficulty one day

chessnut

I played mostly counter-strike, nba street vol. 2, nfl street vol. 2 from ages 11 to 17
Mario Kart 64 I guess before that, maybe Pokemon red/blue

jonno394

This thread makes me feel old......

This was the first game we had for our first home console, the master system and we had many a night playing this together.

Alex-Kidd-in-Miracle-World-USA001.png

and this was the first game i became addicted to and couldn't stop playing until i'd finished

31365-the-legend-of-zelda-nes-screenshot-title-screens.jpg

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
there was no such game but there were games

Fallout - I'm comparing all RPGs with it since then
Civilization, Sim City, Transport Tycoon - this is how strategies should be done.
Wing Commander - space sims.
Quake II - FPS multiplayer.
Mortal Kombat - fighting.
Full Throttle - point and click.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
There''s so many SMS or Genesis games I could go to, but I have to pick this:

System_Shock.jpg

First-person shooters have been disappointing me ever since.

Saroyan

cody said:
uMYmd.jpg

Nothing like facing death incarnate in the form of 4 kobold(s).

Oh wow that brings back memories, I played bards tale for months when I was like 10 or 11 years old and thought it was so incredibly hard, my characters kept getting killed and I didn't know how to revive them. Then I finally found the adventurer's guild or whatever it was called and leveled up my party, my mind was blown.

Falt

Streets_of_Rage_Mega_Drive_cover.jpg

My childhood personified.

Edit: Wow, just realised that SoR is 20 years old this year. You know what to do, Sega.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
On console, Phantasy Star.

But this was the real doozy, the one that made me a game fan forever. I couldn't have been more than six or seven when I played it.

Wishbringer.jpg

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
From 1992 to 1998...I lived in this world...this WAS gaming for me...everything else I played was extra even sonic 1/CD/3 and s&k...SONIC 2 was everything
71442883-CF1D-7AA0-02DE7C2D63796626.jpg

kunonabi

Silent Hill
Final Fantasy IV
Castlevania 64
Vampire Savior
Revelations: Persona
Actraiser
Super Metroid
Shenmue
X-Men vs Street Fighter
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
Sonic Adventure
Street Fighter Alpha 2

Hard to pick just one

FFIV got me into rpgs

Persona is my favorite game of all time and completely changed my perception of what an rpg could be.

Sonic Adventure was the reason I bought my favorite console of all time, the Dreamcast

Shadows of the Empire and CV64 were two of my biggest time sinks and my favorite n64 games.

SFA2, VS, and XvsSF defined my tastes in fighters

Silent Hill started my love affair with horror games

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
ShirAhava said:
From 1992 to 1998...I lived in this world...this WAS gaming for me...everything else I played was extra even sonic 1/CD/3 and s&k...SONIC 2 was everything
71442883-CF1D-7AA0-02DE7C2D63796626.jpg

Ah, yes... the days when seeing Sonic with a new character standing beside him was exciting and not filled with dread. Haha.

Carbonox

SEGA Genesis:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Bomberman
Vector-Man

GameBoy:

Pokemon Red/Blue

These were my first highly-regarded games.

Hard to pick what was "that" game. These 4 were "that" game, or better yet, "those" games.

Jay Sosa

C64 - Barbarian
Amiga - Microprose GP, Kick Off, Sensible Soccer and Bundesliga Manager 2 (yeah we do like football a lot) Super Cars, Moonstone*
NES - Zelda 2
SNES - Super Probotector
Game Boy - Super Mario Land, Tennis
Mega Drive - Sonic
PC - Anstoss 1-3
PSX Crash Bandicoot, Tekken, Fifa Soccer

*Moonstone needs a remake asap.

Touch

As a kid, I remember playing Street Fighter II with my friends more than any other game. There were lot of games that I could consider but if I had to pick one SFII was "that game".

ElRenoRaven

For me that game was Donkey Kong on the Atari 2600. After that game I was hooked for life. Little did I know though there was the amazingly superior Arcade version. Course I was like 6 or 7 at the time. lol

2600 version that stole many hours when visiting my cousin.
VLyBe.png

Superior Arcade version that I wish to god I could afford a working one.

Uumeu.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I distinctly remember one afternoon spent at my cousin's place complaining that my brother and said cousin would not give up the cheat for unlimited lives as pertinent to the C64 version of Ghosts & Goblins.

So, that.

Anth0ny

BKboxart.jpg

I was OBSESSED. I had to know everything about this game. I bought a Gameshark just to get the SNS items. Sometimes I'd go to Treasure Trove Cove and run around and do nothing just because I liked the level and the music.

Also:

Pokemon_red_box.jpg

Some old Sega coin-op...played a bit like 3D Space Invaders but used a yoke controller iirc

Anyway loved that as a kid, later on.:

2yaGx.jpg

Man that shit stunk on my CPC though

fqtDv.png

em03S.jpg

pool and pussy, doesn't get much better than that.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Knights of the Old Republic I and II; I'd come home everyday and spend hours on those two (I loved star wars, and these two games introduced me to the rpg genre--a genre I almost exclusively play now). I probably beat each one of these over five times with 30+ hour playthroughs.

Max

I am not Max
Halo and Halo 2

Playing Halo 2 on Xbox Live for the majority of my middle school life. Halo was the first game that really got me interested in video games.

I still talk with some friends I tricked and glitched with on that game, every day.

Tetris.

I received it bundled with my original GameBoy when I was in preschool. I'd already played a number of games on my father's Commodore 64 and NES, but nothing consumed me quite like Tetris on my own GameBoy.

ctrayne

Derrick01 said:
Final Fantasy IV. That shaped me into a RPG gamer back then and made it my favorite genre. Then roughly 13 years later Oblivion shaped me into a western RPG gamer, I haven't been able to enjoy a JRPG since that game which is weird because I didn't think a game could have that affect on me at that "old" of an age.
FF4 for me too. I have a sort of similar situation to what you are describing.
I would put the first Metal Gear Solid up there too. Was mind-blowing at the time, told a story that was essentially wrapped-up and done, and is still a lot of fun and very atmospheric - more than the new ones, which I felt got too goofy.

DeSo said:
You know, the game that you couldn't put down, everything about it just blew your mind, it defined your future gaming taste.

Has to be Secret of Mana on the SNES for me. This was the best thing I'd ever played. The whole leveling up, playing with a mate, working our way towards the end goal. The epic music. The story. That's where my love of JRPGs began.

Cool thread, everyone has "that game". The game which no other game can ever reach. The game which is incomprehensibly wrapped in part nostalgia and part greatness. The one that, like you put it, defines much of your gaming tastes going forward.

I actually have two games that do that for me. The first one is Final Fantasy VII, and the other one is Metal Gear Solid.

They both drive my enjoyment of story, while FFVII was the first RPG I had played, and it engrained my enjoyment for RPGs.

On a side note....I believe "that game" normally happens for people around the ages of 11-14. Not sure why, just seems to be that age where it happens

Top Bottom