• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

During your childhood, what was "that game"?

FoxSpirit

revolverjgw said:
I'm a sucker for atmosphere and mood, and I guess it started with this game. Its presentation really captured my imagination.

CastlevaniaBox.jpg
Yeah, athmosphere and mood are also my drugs. And it started with this:

Gargoyles Quest
on the original GameBoy. I think I got this even before Mario. Or maybe not but that game simply stuck to my mind. The gameplay was fantastic, as were the designs and the music. Oh, and it's a RPG Hybrid :-D

jqgxa.gif

Check for an indepth view:
http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/index.php/Games/Issue14GargoylesQuest

Gaspode_T

Zelda 1
Mario 3
Dark Wizard for Sega CD
Shadowrun for Genesis and SNES
Monkey Island/Day of the Tentacle
Chrono Trigger
Dark Forces
Tribes 1

Famassu

Thing is, I didn't really have THAT ONE & ONLY game, which is probably the reason why my gaming tastes are so varied even today (I play almost everything from the most obscure Japanese games to some of the most popular mainstream shooters & complex WRPGs, the one sole exception being sports games ála NHL, FIFA, PES).

The first game I remember playing is Giana Sisters, then we got NES with Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt & Legend of Zelda. Then our first PC with games like Leisure Suit Larry, Commander Keen, Stunts, some puzzle (don't remember names) and whatnot. At some point we played Doom II at our father's workplace's computer. Fast-forward a bit and SNES enters the picture. At first we got the usual Super Marios & Zeldas (World, Yoshi's Island & A Link to the Past <3 <3 <3 <3). Then Super Castlevania IV was my first experience of Castlevania, which blew me away. Super Metroid was the same for the Metroid series and it's still one of my favorite games. Then... Final Fantasy VI opened the floodgate to my JRPG fandom, and tons of other SNES JRPGs followed suite (Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Gaia, Breath of Fire 2 etc.). Shadowrun was probably my first touch at western RPGs and the reason why I tried out Fallout & Fallout 2 later (which just semented my interest in well done W/CRPGs). My love of music games comes from Frequency & Amplitude, so kinda late in the game.

So... my gaming tastes are really a product of having experienced tons of great but different kinds of games from early on of my gaming hobby. I can appreciate & enjoy a game like Katamari Damacy as much as I do Uncharted, Earthbound as much as Deus Ex. It's as much a blessing as a curse, really. So many games to play, so little time & money to really experience all of them fully.

51TK9HNJ3PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Super_Metroid_box.jpg

Streets%20of%20Rage%202.gif

Each one of those games are something special to my childhood.

Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! was the penultimate challenge for me until I was 21. The most important gaming accomplishment I hold.

Super Metroid made me appreciate how fun just exploring a world can be. The best game on SNES easy.

And Streets of Rage 2 was my go to game for years on SEGA. If there was something to do in that game I've done it. And to this day I can still come back to it like nothing's changed. That is the sign of a classic.

volmer

First it was Bubble Bobble, then it was Super Mario Bros. 3, and later it was Quake.

Bubble Bobble taught me that games can be about points, powerups and gradually increasing difficulty.

Super Mario Bros. 3 taught me that games can also be about simply having fun with the mechanics themselves.

Quake taught me that real-time 3D computer graphics are awesome, and that twitch-based competitive multiplayer games can be so much fun.

I still remember the first time I saw Quake. I was a teen, and it was running on a 75MHz Pentium. It was at a computer gathering, and some guy was playing dm3, standing on one of the ledges of the mega health room:

28co95g.jpg

Then he jumped down, and the floor came up towards him. :O WOW. I literally just stood there, gawking, as I realized the importance of having true perspective in 3D games. I think it was after that moment, that I knew that I wanted to become a graphics programmer.

seady

Secret of Mana.

Playing with my cousins and getting screamed at for not using the right magic/summons. Great memories. The music and story made us cry too.

"Game you couldn't put down" and "defined your future gaming taste" can be two very different things. Sierra adventure games (Space Quest, Police Quest, Quest for Glory) aren't really replayable, so I could indeed put it down when it's done, but they certainly defined my future gaming taste for P&Cs.

I guess one game that did both was Rogue. I was terrible at it as a kid and I was totally playing it wrong (always using things right away to test them) but it just sparked my interest, I probably played it more than any other PC game I had, and I still love roguelikes to this day.

Nix

Banned
Sonic 3 for the Sega Genisis. Blew my fucking mind, and got me into Sonic 1&2. Was the pinnacle of my childhood, and sadly, I've been chasing after Sonic's past glory all these years.

Oh, and I guess Super Mario. I guess.

I think it was either super metroid or yoshi's island, probably Yoshi's island, i played that game to death B^)

as for multiplayer , i'd say it was mario kart 64, co-op was so fun with my bro.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Kirby's Adventure was the first big one, but Super Mario RPG was the one that had the biggest impact. I was pretty young and it was my first RPG, blew my mind and I wondered why there weren't more games like that. If only I'd known.

Chinner

Banned
i got loads of games that i nostalgia about, but for the sake of not clogging this thread up i'll go with either streets of rage or sonic 3 and knuckles on co-op with a friend (it was good because i always got to be sonic!)

Degen

Tekken 3 (arcade)

The machines at the places I went (was taken) to always looked more like this...

lfwJp.jpg

...than a regular arcade machine. The volume would cancel everything else out. I'd try a different game, but then hear this, this and this over and over and just drop it and go right back to Tekken 3.

I was probably eight years old then, and still wait for non-fighters to reach bargain-bin prices.

kevinski

Banned
I can't really say that any game that I played a lot during my childhood really shaped the way I thought about gaming more than Out of This World, a game that I really didn't play all that much until I was attending college. I originally played it whenever I was in 7th grade, however, and that was only a demo of the first level. The experience really stuck with me, however, and I eventually rented the game whenever I was visiting my mom one summer. I don't recall getting very far in it, but the experience was still very rewarding. Once I moved away from home to attend college, however, I bought the game and eventually finished it.

The game was very forward-thinking in a lot of ways, and it managed to really stick out in a time when games generally played it very safe in terms of presentation. Also, the levels generally offered a lot in the way of varied objectives.

TunaLover

skyshark.png

I was a big arcade player during childhood

super-mario-bros-3.jpg

SMB3 just blow my mind, I couldn't believe it was so open, with so many hidden places and secrets.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
DennisK4 said:
Phantasy Star on the Sega Master System.

Came here to post this. Amazing how now our tastes have probably diverged so far from each other, Dennis. 20 years will do that to you I guess!

FoxSpirit

Degen said:
Tekken 3 (arcade)

The machines at the places I went (was taken) to always looked more like this...

lfwJp.jpg

...than a regular arcade machine. The volume would cancel everything else out. I'd try a different game, but then hear this, this and this over and over and just drop it and go right back to Tekken 3.

I was probably eight years old then, and still wait for non-fighters to reach bargain-bin prices.

Oh yeah, Tekken 2+3 were some serious youth drugs. Especially 3, my Xiaoyu kicked much ass back then.

lordmrw

The Legend of Zelda

Final Fantasy IV - I distinctly remember, it was the summer of 1993, I had just finished Wanderer's from Ys 3 a day after I got it and wanted something new. I went to the pawn shop and traded it in for FFIV and hauled ass out of there because the owner was notorious for playing any games you trade in right in the store and saying they suck. I'd say I won that deal. I don't think I left the house for a week straight, which is monumental considering it was the summer but the game was just that good.

Magic of Schehezerade - I think my review sums up my feelings about this game perfectly, http://www.retrogameage.com/?p=1421

Super Mario World - the game that just keeps on giving. All the way up to the end of the game they introduce new mechanics or something new that will surprise you. This could very well be the best launch game ever.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Zelda (especially Link to the Past and Link's Awakening).
Goldeneye + Perfect Dark.

Legendary stuff.

leadbelly

Banned
iNvidious01 said:

I would say the Tekken series was the fighting game at that time. The one I couldn't stop playing. People say that Tekken 3 was the best in the series, but I always hesitate on that. I'm not necessarily saying it isn't, it certainly improves on the combat in terms of standard characters, but I was always disappointed that the locked characters were just basically rehashes of those standard characters.

In Tekken 2 a lot of the locked characters you could call fully-fledged characters in their own right. They were great characters as well with deep move-sets. Some of those characters are also in Tekken 1, but the thing is, none of them were in Tekken 3. The extra characters in Tekken 3 weren't really a good replacement. The depth in Tekken 2 comes with it's great selection of fully realised characters that you want to keep using again and again.

So yeah, in terms of the combat improvements with the standard characters, Tekken 3 is the better game, but I think Tekken 2 had a much better selection of characters overall.

To a certain extent, the original Sonic the Hedgehog.

YYRhz.jpg

I've probably told this story on GAF before, but Christmas 1991 my brother got a Model 1 Sega Genesis. I wasn't really well educated on gaming at that point in time - I grew up in my toddler years with the family having an Atari 2600, then in 89 we upgraded to a NES with Super Mario Bros. I enjoyed games but they were an ancillary part of my life. Though at this point I've most likely played a Sega Genesis in store demo kiosks, I never put 2 and 2 together - I think what my Brother got was just a piece of stereo equipment.

New Years Eve rolls around and we have some relatives in from out of town. They're watching Citizen Kane and since I'm 8 years old or whatever, I'm told that I probably won't like the movie and since I'll only be a distraction I'm sent to my room to play. That doesn't last long, so I'm trotted in to the forbidden zone: my brother's room.

My brother is a whopping 14 years older than I am. He is a working adult of 22 years old. You can imagine why I'm not allowed in to his room. This, however, is a special exception, and I'm sat down in front of his TV and handed a black game controller with three buttons. Sonic the Hedgehog begins to play.

To an 8 year old in 1991 who still doesn't even own Super Mario Bros. 3, Sonic the Hedgehog is probably the most amazing thing ever. Fast, unique, and absolutely gorgeous, graphically. Even though I struggle to make it past Marble Zone, I am absolutely enamored with the game, and after the movie is over and the night winds down, I can't stop talking about it to my family.

I never play my brother's copy of Sonic ever again. Not only because I never go in to his room, but because within the next 6 months or so, my brother moves out. A fire is stoked within me: I need to play more Sonic. Every opportunity I get, I sit on store demo kiosks playing Sonic 1, until the game was eventually rotated off for whatever other games Sega was pushing.

I ask for a Sega Genesis for my birthday in 92 and am rebuffed. For Christmas, I am presented with a Super Nintendo instead. Sonic 2 has just come out. I do that thing where I'm trying not to seem ungrateful for the $200 gift I've been given, but I wanted to play more Sonic. I think this denial is a key aspect to establishing why I ended up so connected to Sonic as a franchise. Ahab hunted his white whale, I wanted a blue hedgehog. It was turning in to an obsession. And it was made worse by the fact that when I did get a chance to play the game, it was never for more than 10 minutes tops.

I made the best of my SNES. Super Mario World was a great game. I loved Super Mario All-Stars - it was my first opportunity to play SMB3. The SNES was a great system. At the same time, though, I was constantly trying to find Nintendo equivalents to Sonic. Aero the Acrobat, Bubsy, Rocky Rodent, Konami's Tiny Toons game, even tangential stuff like Alfred Chicken were all catching my eye. But, as I immersed myself in the "Mascots with Attitude" fad, none of them even came close to replicating Sonic the Hedgehog.

This went on for nearly two years - until 1994 rolls around. I pick up my first videogame magazine ever, an issue of Gamepro with Hulk on the cover, because they proudly proclaim they have a full color strategy guide for Sonic the Hedgehog 3. That issue of Gamepro is the first magazine I ever buy. I pour over the strategy guide, memorizing every inch of the game. By the time I go play Sonic 3 on store demo kiosks, I know every stage inside and out, backwards and forwards. My Mother, finally taking notice that maybe this Sonic the Hedgehog "thing" isn't going away, awards me a Sega Genesis for Christmas that year with my very own copy of Sonic 3.

...Of course, by now, Sonic & Knuckles is out. Sonic 1 may have been what sparked all of this, but it was the might of Sonic 3 & Knuckles that really solidified the whole thing.

Summer 1995 was a beautiful thing. Me and one of my best friends took turns renting Sonic & Knuckles from the local video store, as we both owned copies of Sonic 3. When one of us took it back, the other would head out and rent it. From there, it was a simple matter of going over to the other's house and playing it. We did that for weeks - beat the game with every character in every possible way. Sonic with all Super Emeralds. Sonic with just Chaos Emeralds. Sonic with no emeralds at all. What would the ending look like this time? We indulged ourselves.

And wouldn't you know it? I finally get a Sega Genesis right as the last "major" Sonic game comes out. The cycle of denial was about to begin again. I waited for Sonic X-Treme. Even bought a Sega Saturn with my own money - the first console I'd ever done that with - and the game was canceled. It would be nearly four years until the next "real" Sonic game.

But I was hooked. I was inexorably linked not only to Sonic, but gaming as a whole. It had become a major part of my life. Now, I write for one of the biggest Sega news blogs on the internet as their lead reviews editor. I get all the Sonic games I have consoles for. Sure, Sonic may not be anywhere near as good as he was back in the mid 90's, but at least I'm not being denied anything anymore. ;)

Top Bottom