• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

During your childhood, what was "that game"?

Dennis

Banned
djtiesto said:
Came here to post this. Amazing how now our tastes have probably diverged so far from each other, Dennis. 20 years will do that to you I guess!
I still like JRPGs though. Its just that they have become very formulaic IMO.

Yes, yes, there are still the Demon's Souls, the FFXIIs, Tales in the Sky, Xenoblade....but the rest are terrible!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
ElTopo said:
I see your Robot Junior and I raise you Robot 3:

qNQxt.jpg

Best game in the series. I played it a while ago again, still quite awesome. Unfortunately it's also really expensive, especially for a game that was released almost 20 years ago and it's only available in German (which is a shame because I can't recommend it to non-Germans).

I remember playing it a lot in my childhood or watching my older brother play it. Awesome game and unfortunately I can't really think of any game (series) quite like it.

If one can speak German and you don't care too much about graphics/sound, it's definitely a game one should check out, as it's shareware (play until you hit a certain amount of points, then you have to enter some 8 digit key).

I unfortunately never had the money for it as a kid.
But I know that Robot JR, 1 and 2 are already translated into english (because I was working on it), but the developer hasnt got back to me for about a year now, and I dont know whether it makes sense to finish translating the other 2 parts if he hasnt even checked up on Robot 2's translation yet.

Understandably, he has other stuff on his mind, but still a shame I didnt get around to finish the translations.

Red

Bubble Bobble on NES was the first, probably. Then Super Metroid or A Link to the Past on SNES. Played those a bit more. Then came Pokemon a few years later, and if that hadn't been released I'd probably have been able to put that time into curing cancer or something. The hundreds of hours I spent across the series... has to be something like six or seven hundred at this point.

Final Fantasy VII and IX were the first time I really got into jRPGs. I'd played earlier ones, and I spent a lot of time dying in the original Dragon Warrior, but I never clicked with the genre until VII. And I loved it, don't get me wrong, but it never became "my thing" the same way first party Nintendo titles did.

Stet

Banned
Bonk's Revenge

VczRG.jpg

Can't count how many times I'd play it with my cousins and we'd always game over at the same spot on the same boss. We finally beat that boss once and it was exciting enough that even our parents came to watch because they were curious to see what the rest of the game looked like.

jergrah

Parachute on the Atari. My dad was in the Army and was in the 82nd Airborne Division. So playing this game I felt like I was parachuting with him. Played it non-stop.

Super Bowl Sunday on C64 -- grew up playing/loving football and this was the only football game around back then. Wasted many hours of my youth playing...which was mostly watching this game

Baseball Stars on NES. Probably the most time I've sunk into any game in my life. Creating teams, players, building stats, climbing walls, diving catches -- so good

Super Mario World and this beauty:
Roller Coaster Tycoon
rollerct_4.jpg

As a theme park lover I couldnt believe my eyes when I first saterted playing this game. Coming from unrealistic Theme Park World, this game blew my mind.
Its my favourite franchise, and I love all of the games.

I remember trying to build my first log ride in Forest Frontiers amazes with the possibilities and not having a clue how to construct it fully :lol
Or how I slowly discovered to bank coaster curves so my peeps would have fun in them.
Good times.

FFVIICOVER.jpg

really turned me on to RPGs and grand adventure games. before this, i was content with platformers and puzzle games.

RE2_PS_NTSC.jpg

i spent every free minute playing this game the summer i got it. who needs fresh air and sunshine when you can have claustrophobic hallways, skewed camera angles, and adrenaline pumping survival horror action?

Sonic 2 for the Megadrive. I'd grown up with an Atari 2600 and a NES, but the Megadrive blew my mind when my dad came home with one and Sonic 2. It was a revelation. I think it's probably the game that officially made me a gamer in a way Mario never did.

-KRS-

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Super Mario World and this beauty:
Roller Coaster Tycoon
rollerct_4.jpg

As a theme park lover I couldnt believe my eyes when I first saterted playing this game. Coming from unrealistic Theme Park World, this game blew my mind.
Its my favourite franchise, and I love all of the games.

I remember trying to build my first log ride in Forest Frontiers amazes with the possibilities and not having a clue how to construct it fully :lol
Or how I slowly discovered to bank coaster curves so my peeps would have fun in them.
Good times.

Holy shit I nostalgia'd. Played this game like mad as a kid. Started when I got the demo version in some old PC magazine. After that I was hooked, and I borrowed the full game from a friend of mine. It was because of that game I had my first all-nighter playing a game, and many more would follow. :D

Quite a few on the Megadrive and SNES, but my first real, play for hours on end, day after day, month after month game?

goldeneye64gu8p.jpg

It so rarely left the console. Probably for about two years.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
This one is tough.

When I was young, SF2 and MK were the shit! Kids were going crazy for it in the arcades. :D
When I was a teen, FF7 was the shit! Teens were going crazy for the misleading commercial. :/
Now that I'm an adult, TF2 is the shit! Adults are going crazy for the hats. :(

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Arcade: Double Dragon, Strider, Fighting Street, Street Fighter 2 HF
Home: Contra, Tecmo Bowl, Mega Man 2

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
ZID9y.jpg

O2vAp.jpg

Mario was early childhood, and Pokemon was later. I didn't seriously get into Zelda until my teen years, but I would say it had just as much if an impact as the other two.

Aeana

XUSXQ.jpg

Although it wasn't my first RPG, it was the first non-first-person RPG I'd ever played and it totally floored me in every way. I still feel that I would not have been as into RPGs as I am now, and maybe never would have become a DQ fan had I not played this. And to think, the only reason I got the game is because I thought the box art was cool.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
First:
picture_22kb7.png
9025032c8ev.jpg

and a bunch of other Gameboy stuff

THE game:
secret_of_mana_boxu8sz.jpg

by a landslide.
We used to reenact the game in the schoolyard >_>

Zelda - my mother took away my NES because my brother and I were fighting, but we bothered the crap out of our neighbor friend to play it every day at his house.

52473-the-faery-tale-adventure-book-i-amiga-screenshot-encountering.gif

The faery tale adventure on the Amiga. Me and my friend played that every weekend for weeks on end. It was the last thing we did before sleeping and the first thing when we woke up. Unfortunately, the game would crash when you found the last statue, so we never knew the reward for that. Other then that the game was epic.

After that it was mariokart snes with some super hardcore time trailing and the odd battle afternoons.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
For our TRS-80 I have very fond memories of Gorilla.

jZXj2.png

And Pitfall was my most played Atari 2600 game.. although the terrible Crystal Castles port was not far behind.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Prince of Persia on the Mac. I remember going over to my "girfriend's" house when I was in 5th or 6th grade or so because they had a computer and I wanted to play PoP.

qq more

Sonic's genesis trilogy, SMAS and SMW (not the combined cartridge mind you), Mario 64, Pokemon Blue and Gold.

I don't know which one is the definite game, but I've played the hell out of them as a kid.

FHIZ

tumblr_lmdr07hW7S1qcu3xwo1_500.jpg

my feeble child mind never gave up hope that there was a way to get away from that damn yeti.

the day I realized I couldn't, was the day my childhood died (that, or when I realized that all fruit cereal pieces have the same taste despite their color, can't remember)

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
slick7rick said:
FFVIICOVER.jpg

really turned me on to RPGs and grand adventure games. before this, i was content with platformers and puzzle games.

RE2_PS_NTSC.jpg

i spent every free minute playing this game the summer i got it. who needs fresh air and sunshine when you can have claustrophobic hallways, skewed camera angles, and adrenaline pumping survival horror action?

If it weren't for the "childhood" part of the title I'd be inclined to pick one of these two.

As a European, FFVII was my first FF game. To this day it remains my favourite game of all time. A completely revolutionary experience compared to what I was used to on my Atari ST and Mega Drive.

Resident Evil 2 was, at that point, my most anticipated game ever. To the point that on release day I paid a homeless guy to buy it for me since I was only 13 (and had skipped school to buy it.) I played the shit out of that game, finding every secret possible. Up until that point it was the most cinematic experience you could get in video gaming and was an incredible technical and gameplay leap over the first RE.

andymcc

Banned
Growing up, most of the major consoles were in my house. My dad used to be a pretty avid gamer. In 1989, when I was five years old, my dad and I went to Toys R Us and he purchased a Sega Genesis (model 1, bundled with Altered Beast) with Ghouls 'n' Ghosts. This was a few years before the release of the SNES, so it, understandably, created a long-lasting Sega bias in our household. (We got the SNES on release, but I preferred the Genesis still.)

We got many games over the next several months, Revenge of Shinobi, Phantasy Star II, Castle of Illusion, etc. However, when June 1991 came along, so did my birthday and my favorite childhood game: Sonic the Hedgehog. We had an NES and SMS in our home, and no other platformer grabbed me as much as the original Sonic did.

The game turned me into a diehard Sonic fan (can't say I am now, unfortunately), with the release of each original 2D game turning into something akin to a holiday. I remember the Christmas I got the Sega CD, with not a single game on it, a year before Sonic CD's release just because I KNEW it was coming. (I was satisfied, however, as Sonic 2 came out that same Christmas, so I just played it.)

I had come down with a nasty case of Bronchitis just before our school's Christmas break in 1993, causing me to miss two weeks of school. My parents went ahead and gave me Sonic CD prior to Christmas because I was in bad spirits and super-ill.

We drove to the same Toys R Us we purchased our Genesis from in early '94 to get Sonic 3. The store gave it to me prior to street date, strangely enough.

Later in that same year, my dad lost his job at the steel mill he had worked at since he was 18. My dad tried to secure employment at various places throughout the country, which left me going to Michigan to visit my father during our fall break in October.

My mom took me to Meijer's the day Sonic & Knuckles came out. I was pretty upset about being in Michigan because I missed my friends and didn't really realize that S&K was even out. My mom took me to the game counter, and, to my surprise, actually bought it for me. Even then, I knew we were kinda broke on account of my dad still looking for permanent work. My dad had apparently scrounged up some money and gave my mom strict instructions to buy me Sonic & Knuckles.

We were staying at my aunt's house while in Michigan, my cousin was a just two years younger than me and, thankfully, owned a Genesis. She didn't own Sonic 3, just Sonic 2, so I had to play S&K without saves (or Sonic 2 as Knuckles, eww) until I got back home.

My dad's company rehired him back at home, at an even higher pay rate than before. Our financial woes were more or less behind us. My dad used to always use me as an excuse to buy video games (not like I'd complain) to get my mom off of his back. I remember wanting a Sega Saturn more than the Playstation because it was safe to assume it would receive a proper Sonic game.

The Saturn had it's stealth release and not even I knew it was out yet. My dad picked me up from school one day, and in the backseat of the car, there was a Sega Saturn just sitting there (with Daytona USA and Clockwork Knight). If it weren't for Sonic, who knows if I would have ever branched off into playing the niche Japanese games that the Saturn offered in spades.

While I always thank the Sonic series for helping shape my tastes and Sega fandom, it sort of saddens me to know that the series will never be the same for me again. The only game that ever came close to approaching the hype levels of a traditional Sonic game was Mario 64.

I'll always love classic 2D Sonic for the above reasons. :)

Top Bottom