• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dusk Form Lycanroc available to early adopters of Pokemon UltraSun and UltraMoon

Forkball

ORANGE BABY

DG84zcsUMAAQabA.jpg

Only special Rockruff can evolve into a Dusk Form Lycanroc, and neither this Rockruff nor Dusk Form Lycanroc can be caught in normal gameplay. But you can get a special gift of this Rockruff as an early purchase bonus with Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon. Players will be able to receive a special Rockruff that can evolve into Dusk Form Lycanroc via Nintendo Network from Friday, November 17, 2017, until Wednesday, January 10, 2018. Evolve this special Rockruff and have an adventure in Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon together with your Dusk Form Lycanroc!

More information on it:

A Unique Look and Attitude

Dusk Form Lycanroc shares some of the aspects of Midday Form, such as a four-legged stance and obedience toward its trusted Trainer. But it's also like Midnight Form—at the moment it attacks, its eyes turn red! Around its neck are four rocks like those of Midday Form, while the mane on its head matches that of Midnight Form.

Little things don't shake the tranquil demeanor of Dusk Form Lycanroc, but it has a well of intense fighting spirit hidden within, and as a result, it relishes combat at close quarters. It also tries to use Counter when battles get intense.
A New Battle Formation

The moves that Dusk Form Lycanroc can learn also seem to reflect the characteristics of both Midday and Midnight Forms. Dusk Form Lycanroc learns both Accelerock and Counter—moves favored by Midday Form and Midnight Form Lycanroc, respectively.

Accelerock is a Rock-type physical move that always goes first. In Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, only Midday Form Lycanroc could learn this move. Midday Form could learn this move when it evolved from Rockruff. Counter is a Fighting-type move that inflicts double the damage received by an opponent's physical attack. In Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, Midnight Form Lycanroc learned this move when it evolved from Rockruff.

Dusk Form Lycanroc has the Ability Tough Claws, a different Ability than either Midday Form or Midnight Form. Tough Claws greatly increases the power of moves that make direct contact. A Dusk Form Lycanroc with this Ability would likely favor a different style of battle than Midday Form or Midnight Form.

Video of it in action, which also showcases the first time we've seen battles in USUM. The UI looks a bit different.

True Fire

Well, it could be worse. Can you imagine a Pokemon game with Destiny 2 marketing? ISP exclusive evolutions and shit.

Cruxist

what the fuck happened to the original 150

this shit is out of control

Nah, lots of designs to love in Sun/Moon. Looking back, every gen has some standouts, and I think some of the craziness has been good for the franchise.

Plus Exeggutor.

Ydelnae

I don't know what the reasoning is behind making this evolution event based. I understand it for cosmetic forms like Spike Pichu or Hat Pikachu, but not regular Pokémon forms.

Orb

They were never good lol, Pokemon didnt get great(outside some exceptions) until gen 3

Pokemon nostalgia is something else

Gen 3-5 are still the best, though most of gen 7 is pretty good. Dhelmise is godtier

Strings

This kinda feels like Lucario all over again. Stop trying to make Lycanroc happen!

I mean, it's nowhere near that bad. Yet...

Orb

This kinda feels like Lucario all over again. Stop trying to make Lycanroc happen!

I mean, it's nowhere near that bad yet. Yet...
Atleast Lucario had a pretty cool design. Lycanroc is literally just a dog with spikes on its neck.

Midnight form is the only one that feels like a pokemon.

There's hardly any info out about these games but they've got to make a new form of one of the Pokemon a pre-order incentive? k

Better pre-order now, boys and girls!

Bladenic

Tough Claws is without a doubt, the laziest, tryhard "good" ability in the game.

lol

It's a strange ability because it affects contact moves so it has nothing to do with claws specifically (just that the Pokémon who get it all have claws). But some of the moves powered up by it are so weird, like Grass Knot and Infestation (which aren't even contact?).

Robin64

There's hardly any info out about these games but they've got to make a new form of one of the Pokemon a pre-order incentive? k

It's not really a pre-order bonus when you have until Jan 10th to download it. It's just an event that coincides with launch, and there are always events.

Ridley327

It's not a pre-order incentive, so much as it's a "buy the game in the first two or so months" incentive, just like Munchlax was for S/M. Everyone that buys the game can get this, even without a preorder.

Weebos

Banned
Weird that this ends up being an event Pokemon. It seems likely that it won't be legal in the next VGC season in that case.

Neku89

Not pre-order, just early adopter. You receive this Pokémon by connecting the new games to internet before Jan 10... (Yes, it's still stupid.)

I don't get it why they keep coming up with these contrived ways to get "promotional" Pokémon, that moreover will require more contrived ways to keep them in future generations.

It's not really a pre-order bonus when you have until Jan 10th to download it. It's just an event that coincides with launch, and there are always events.

It's not a pre-order incentive, so much as it's a "buy the game in the first two or so months" incentive, just like Munchlax was for S/M. Everyone that buys the game can get this, even without a preorder.

Fair enough. That's not so bad then even if I still dislike the notion of making something exclusive in this sort of manner to begin with and have that be one of the first few announcements concerning the game(s).

ash_ag

Along with regional variants, Midday and Midnight Lycanroc felt like a return of split evolution lines (albeit without a different name and Dex number), but Dusk is blurring the lines. I wonder if this is more like Zorua/Zoroark in BW or Ash-Greninja in SM, the question being if it will become a regular Pokémon in the future or if it's essentially Ash-Lycanroc.

Along with regional variants, Midday and Midnight Lycanroc felt like a return of split evolution lines (albeit without a different name and Dex number), but Dusk is blurring the lines. I wonder if this is more like Zorua/Zoroark in BW or Ash-Greninja in SM, the question being if it will become a regular Pokémon in the future or if it's essentially Ash-Lycanroc.

Given that it actually evolves (unlike, say, Spiky-Eared Pichu), I imagine in future gens the three Lycanrocs will evolve using evolution stones, which conveniently exist for all three.

Robin64

Given that it actually evolves (unlike, say, Spiky-Eared Pichu), I imagine in future gens the three Lycanrocs will evolve using evolution stones, which conveniently exist for all three.

Poor little guy, forever stuck by himself in my Soul Silver cart.

Though a small oddity is that Sun/Moon has a box sprite for the little guy.

BIgaL0v.png

In HG/SS his box sprite is just that of a normal Pichu, so why add one now?

So depending on it's Stat Distribution it's essentially just a better version of Midday Lycanroc. GF would still need to tweak it's movepool for it to really be good though.

I know right? Remember back in the day when we got designs like this?

250px-100Voltorb.png

Top Bottom