• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dusk Form Lycanroc available to early adopters of Pokemon UltraSun and UltraMoon

Robin64

I know right? Remember back in the day when we got designs like this?

250px-100Voltorb.png

Don't forget its amazing evolution of swapping the colours.

bjork

Umbreon is the king forever

also I didn't know there was a new Sun/Moon coming out, so this is good news to me.

Dryk

This sort of bullshit is why I've just started running through the main story of the games and then putting them down. I'm not willing to jump through the number of hoops GF wants for collecting or competitive play.

ash_ag

Given that it actually evolves (unlike, say, Spiky-Eared Pichu), I imagine in future gens the three Lycanrocs will evolve using evolution stones, which conveniently exist for all three.

Both Dusk Stone and Dusk Form only exist in the English language version of the games. In most languages, they are Dark Stone and Twilight Form respectively. And even if that wasn't true, changing the evolutionary method would be unprecedented. Logically speaking, Midday and Midnight may work like Espeon and Umbreon (possible with some twist), and I don't imagine regular Rockruff will evolve into Dusk at all. Question is if this special Rockruff will be catchable through some method (perhaps some special training turning regular Rockruff into it?), or if players will have to rely to transferring it over from Gen 7.

So, it's just an anime tie-in like Ash-Greninja. It's amazing how underwhelming this reveal has been.

Please tell us some actual information on the game.

Edit: This also means that the dog probably won't be transferrable to next gen.

trixx

These events are partially why I'm not interested in pokemon anymore. Put all this behind some gameplay mechanics or something. This GameStop exclusives and stuff are boring.

And I know events have been a thing since 2nd generation

Robin64

These events are partially why I'm not interested in pokemon anymore. Put all this behind some gameplay mechanics or something. This GameStop exclusives and stuff are boring.

And I know events have been a thing since 2nd generation

1st generation, actually.

And this one isn't a Gamespot exclusive or anything, you literally just connect to the internet between November and January.

Aleh

So, it's just an anime tie-in like Ash-Greninja. It's amazing how underwhelming this reveal has been.

Please tell us some actual information on the game.

Edit: This also means that the dog probably won't be transferrable to next gen.

It's more like Zoroark in BW. It will surely be available normally in future games.
Oh, and you can already put Ash-Greninja in the Bank too.

JoeM86

Both Dusk Stone and Dusk Form only exist in the English language version of the games. In most languages, they are Dark Stone and Twilight Form respectively. And even if that wasn't true, changing the evolutionary method would be unprecedented. Logically speaking, Midday and Midnight may work like Espeon and Umbreon (possible with some twist), and I don't imagine regular Rockruff will evolve into Dusk at all. Question is if this special Rockruff will be catchable through some method (perhaps some special training turning regular Rockruff into it?), or if players will have to rely to transferring it over from Gen 7.

To an extent. Do note that たそがれ does also translate into Dusk as well as Twilight

Robin64

It does mildly irk me they went with "Ash-Greninja" as the form name, when Ash has sweet nothing to do with the games. Why not instead something about how the Greninja came about, like Bond-Greninja.

g.r.e.

So depending on it's Stat Distribution it's essentially just a better version of Midday Lycanroc. GF would still need to tweak it's movepool for it to really be good though.

250px-100Voltorb.png
That's a great mimic design, since you don't expect item balls to blow your pokemon's face off in the first game.

Sun Stone and Midday Form don't match either, but it would still work.

also that didn't stop them from changing Feebas' evolution method from maxed beauty + level up to hold item + trade.

Neku89

also that didn't stop them from changing Feebas' evolution method from maxed beauty + level up to hold item + trade.

Thing is, they've never added an evolution or form change method that involved combinations of Pokémon, items or moves that already existed in previous generations (with the exception of Ancient Power Piloswine and Rollout Lickitung). They always created new items or moves to justify the "lack" of evolution/form change in the past.

Feebas still evolves with maxed beauty, but they introduced a new item - the Beauty Scale - to offer an alternative method for games where Contest stats are not present. Notice that they didn't simply reuse an old item or move, they created another one specifically for this reason.

So depending on it's Stat Distribution it's essentially just a better version of Midday Lycanroc. GF would still need to tweak it's movepool for it to really be good though.

250px-100Voltorb.png

Nothing beats the iconic "six eggs" design. I mean, it's six eggs.

Galang

Banned
The heck? The only new form revealed so far and it's event exclusive? Lol....... Don't understand why.

what the fuck happened to the original 150

this shit is out of control

Out of control? They've been slowly adding new pokemon over the past two decades. It's not like they release new ones every five seconds. And Lycanroc looks like it fits in comfortably with the original line. It's a pretty generic design like the original gen was

ash_ag

To an extent. Do note that たそがれ does also translate into Dusk as well as Twilight

Indeed. The Romance languages seem to have gotten it right, since たそがれ and the Latin crepusculum are pretty much equivalent. Crepusculum has an English derivative in crepuscule, but I can't blame them for not using that. :p

Before ORAS were announced, me and a few friends attempted to evolve a Feebas by maxing its Beauty stat in Gen 4 and transferring all the way up to XY. It worked as expected, so technically they didn't change anything, they just added a new item that functions as an alternate evolution method. :p

Game Freak is really precise when it comes to these things. I don't think they've ever retconned or changed an evolutionary mechanic. That's why even Lycanroc's evolution may not be exactly like Umbreon/Espeon, because it wasn't like that in SM. I suspect they'll elaborate it as requiring Solgaleo's/Lunala's presence in said world in addition to it being Day/Night. However, it may end up being the same given that both Legendaries will presumably be present in the world of USUM or at least Gen 8.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It seems to be slipping pass people attention but the music is remixed for Ultra Sun and Moon.

Along with regional variants, Midday and Midnight Lycanroc felt like a return of split evolution lines (albeit without a different name and Dex number), but Dusk is blurring the lines. I wonder if this is more like Zorua/Zoroark in BW or Ash-Greninja in SM, the question being if it will become a regular Pokémon in the future or if it's essentially Ash-Lycanroc.

Yeah, Dusk Form kinda explains why Midday and Midnight were split evolution, though I don't feel that regional variants come close to that feeling as it's basically the same Pokémon just recoloured and retyped.

It does mildly irk me they went with "Ash-Greninja" as the form name, when Ash has sweet nothing to do with the games. Why not instead something about how the Greninja came about, like Bond-Greninja.

It's because it debut in the animé and used by Ash before appearing in the game.

Personally I refer it to Battle bond Greninja.

They didn't change it, if you transfer a Feebas with max beauty stats it will still evolve into a Milotic when you level it up.

All they did was added another method of obtaining Milotic as contest wasn't available in Unova or Kalos so the players had no way of feeding Feebas with the food to raise its beauty stats.

VariantX

what the fuck happened to the original 150

this shit is out of control

It's been over 20 damn years. The entire reason Pokemon lived this long because of the premise that there are ALWAYS more Pokemon yet to be discovered. Play RBY and be satisfied there if all you care about is the original 151. There's been multiple new generations of people who have had different starting points in this franchise, but for some reason, a certain group gen 1 people always complain that the franchise grew up around them and left them behind.

They were never good lol, Pokemon didnt get great(outside some exceptions) until gen 3

Pokemon nostalgia is something else

Gen 3-5 are still the best, though most of gen 7 is pretty good. Dhelmise is godtier

Lol I know this comment is in retalliation but it's just as ridiculous

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It still feels like a crappy design that barely attempted to mix both form's looks.

That's a great mimic design, since you don't expect item balls to blow your pokemon's face off in the first game.

It's a crappy mimic design because even fucking DQ managed to do the mimic aspect right despite the graphical limitations - they outright admit the chest turns into a monster. Here you're supposed to believe the item ball is actually Voltorb or its evolution, yet item balls are roughly the same size as a pokeball and voltorb are bigger.

Not a fan of these limited Wi-Fi events, it's a nice incentive but screws you over if you ever want to restart your game at least in the past with Blazikenite and Snorlaxs Z move.

Mr-Joker

Banned
You know, that is a pokemon in gen 1!

I find it incredibly ironic in how you're slagging off Gen 1 Pokémon when your avatar is a final evolution of a gen 1 Pokémon.

Honestly the whole, "Oh this generation had the best design or the new Pokémon suck" is just utter nonsense fuel primarily by nostalgia and fans reacting to that when Masuda pretty much stated in a recent interview with Game Informer that no Pokémon design goes to waste and eventually get recycled.

So in other word chances that Pokémon design you don't like may could have been a Pokémon that got cut before eventually getting recycled.

Quite a few of the gen 2 Pokémon were Pokémon that got cut in gen 1, heck the Pokémon Tirtouga was created in gen 2 but got cut and didn't appear till gen 5.

Strange how the UI is changing. It made sense to have the brighter, more island-themed aesthetic from the original game. With that change and the music, it feels like it has more in common with past games, but without the microscopic HP bar.

Toxi

Banned
The art makes it look more interesting than the in-game model, which is in the exact same pose as Lycanroc midday form.

Tough Claws is without a doubt, the laziest, tryhard "good" ability in the game.

lol
It really is. Lazy ability for a lazy Pokemon.

Natiko

Banned
Sounds like a no?
"Only special Rockruff can evolve into a Dusk Form Lycanroc, and neither this Rockruff nor Dusk Form Lycanroc can be caught in normal gameplay."
I'm not sure that excludes it from being breeded, but if it can't then fuck that. I maintain a living Pokedex and I don't want to buy two copies of their lazy "sequels" to get one of each. Maybe the rockruff is special only in ability to evolve into dusk form and won't actually be unique.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Mimic or not, it's still a circle with eyes with it's evolution being a bigger version but with the colour upside down.

Not exactly one would call a creative design and if Voltorb was not a gen 1 Pokémon and appeared in later generation people would have been saying "what a lazy design", "They must be running out of ideas" or "It's a freaking ball!11!"

Point is that Gen 1 generation Pokémon get the pass purely because they are the first and nostalgic reasoning.

Every generation has its "stinker" and this includes gen 1 which had a few ball shape Pokémon.

Strange how the UI is changing. It made sense to have the brighter, more island-themed aesthetic from the original game. With that change and the music, it feels like it has more in common with past games, but without the microscopic HP bar.

Which makes me other what other changes will the game have?

Crappy design on a crappy pokemon locked exclusively behind a crappy time gate.

So why do you care that it's event exclusive if you think the design and Pokémon is "crappy?"

Furthermore we still don't know the method of event, it could be a QR Scanner event which are not one time use and will work long after gen 7

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
when did they change tough claws though? I remember it only increasing critical damage

Honestly the whole, "Oh this generation had the best design or the new Pokémon suck" is just utter nonsense fuel primarily by nostalgia and fans reacting to that when Masuda pretty much stated in a recent interview with Game Informer that no Pokémon design goes to waste and eventually get recycled.

so that was the shitposting shitstorm was all about

Orb

I find it incredibly ironic in how you're slagging off Gen 1 Pokémon when your avatar is a final evolution of a gen 1 Pokémon.

So in other word chances that Pokémon design you don't like may could have been a Pokémon that got cut before eventually getting recycled.

Quite a few of the gen 2 Pokémon were Pokémon that got cut in gen 1, heck the Pokémon Tirtouga was created in gen 2 but got cut and didn't appear till gen 5.

Magmortar is a gen 4 pokemon, and Magmar was an exception in gen 1 along with Gengar and Dragonite
I literally don't even dislike gen 1, but the sheer amount of shitting on of everything that isn't gen 1 makes me spiteful

I, personally, like all pokemon to an extent. There isn't a pokemon I outright dislike, but I'll always help balance out the later-gen-shitting genwunners with my own garbage

Lol I know this comment is in retalliation but it's just as ridiculous
I may not dislike gen 1 for what it brings, but its still a long shot from the creativity of everything after 3

People love to shit on Garbodor but always seem to give a pass to a pile of slime. Atleast Garbodor has a design.

SoulUnison

Banned
So right now the game's biggest selling point is a new version of an extremely average 'Mon?

How about bringing back the PSS?
How about streamlining the campaign so it's not 75% cutscenes and tutorials?

brinstar

So right now the game's biggest selling point is a new version of an extremely average 'Mon?

How about bringing back the PSS?
How about streamlining the campaign so it's not 75% cutscenes and tutorials?

You're better off waiting for Gen 8. They're not going to overhaul the online system in the middle of the generation.

The remixed music sounds great so far in my opinion.

Also I completely forgot that we could get the Mega Stones for some of the Pokemon including Gardevoirite in Sun and Moon today.

13ruce

Banned
So pre order/early bird exclusive pokemon...
Ohwell game will sell millions so it's not like it will be hard to get one on gts, especially if they are breedable.

So pre order/early bird exclusive pokemon...
Ohwell game will sell millions so it's not like it will be hard to get one on gts, especially if they are breedable.
Definitely not a pre-order but it does have a really good time window for it. It's like almost two months.

Obviously the ideal would be that it's in-game but at least we have time.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Looks like they know they've got a stinker on their hands.

13ruce

Banned
Definitely not a pre-order but it does have a really good time window for it. It's like almost two months.

Obviously the ideal would be that it's in-game but at least we have time.

Oh that is nice and i am getting it day 1 anyway.
I love the new rock pokemon music:p

Top Bottom