• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust 514 Open Beta Discussion/Impressions

Setsuna

Searched and didn't see this being posted.
New post on the PS blog detailing this and a picture:

8655647877_6cb8a590b2_o.png

i like the way the skill menu looks now although it could be a problem when looking at multiple skills quickly depending on how fast it is

i would rather they port it to PC than to ps4

What a great time to jump back into the game. Is there any GAF centered Corporation at this point or are we just more or less scattered to the wind? I got an invite the other day to get into ZionTCD but they seem to have a bit of an ... infamous reputation amongst the forum goers and general populace in the game.

It's nice to see that the transition to Open Beta seems to have fixed all those issues with the game crashing with earlier builds of the game.

https://soundcloud.com/ccpgames/sets/dust-514-merc-cast/

Skip to the 4 minute mark. All skill points accrued since your characters were created are getting refunded with the next udpate on May 6th. This is now a good time to stop saving up for that top tier item and instead try out different items while you aren't eternally bound to them.

Niiiice. Seems like the star alligned this last weekend. My PS3 controller's been broken for the last few months so I've been sitting on my passive SP gain all this time. Just got a replacement and went wild with the 4m ISK and 3m SP. I didn't really stray too much away from my previous builds (did a lot of experimentation back in closed beta) but it sure was satisfying to get some solid LAV and Militia HAV / Dropship stuff out of the way.

I also decided to try to deck out a ridiculous Logistics Dropsuit fitting, 300ish shields / 200ish armor equipped with an advanced assault rifle ... not sure if I'm gonna drop the points to do that again. Costs about 80k to throw down on the battlefield and I seem to always do better with my 4k modified Assault Frontline equipped with a Militia Shotgun and Nanite Injector. Ah, Shotgun, the great equalizer on the battlefield. Give me 2-3 hits and it won't matter how much you put down on your dropsuit.

Searched and didn't see this being posted.
New post on the PS blog detailing this and a picture:

8655647877_6cb8a590b2_o.png

A well needed change. Can't wait.

The Dust keynote at the EVE fanfest is starting in 10 minutes. We should get some pretty good info about Uprising and maybe further in the future of Dust as well.

http://www.twitch.tv/ccp

Here's hoping they buff Small Missile turrets again or at least announce new turret and vehicle types to play around with.

I found out the hard way that CCP basically made LAVs and Dropships useless this time around ...

A very nice graphical upgrade so far, although I just hope that the framerate is a lot better, at least a locked 30fps (some maps play in the range of 15-20 fps currently).

A very nice graphical upgrade so far, although I just hope that the framerate is a lot better, at least a locked 30fps (some maps play in the range of 15-20 fps currently).

Yeah I missed about 20 minutes there between the introduction of the new UI and the vision for the future of the EVE universe in terms of access to other platforms. Gonna be looking forward to see the new graphical updates when the archive becomes available.

Assault Dropships! Now just give me a turret that makes it worthwhile. I'm having a hard time envisioning how a person would simultaneously pilot the dropship AND shoot/aim at the enemy though. Good to hear they have acceleration on ground vehicles set to triggers though.

Setsuna

Yeah I missed about 20 minutes there between the introduction of the new UI and the vision for the future of the EVE universe in terms of access to other platforms. Gonna be looking forward to see the new graphical updates when the archive becomes available.

Assault Dropships! Now just give me a turret that makes it worthwhile. I'm having a hard time envisioning how a person would simultaneously pilot the dropship AND shoot/aim at the enemy though. Good to hear they have acceleration on ground vehicles set to triggers though.

HOLY SHIET about damn time

EDIT :i did not see this in the conference at all

ZenVolta

Spider/walker tanks look pretty cool.

So this is like a planetside clone for the PS3. Pretty cool Idea. Hope they can make the F2P model work on console.

Setsuna

Apparently CCP are not GPU bound in terms of graphical performance they are network bound

sounds like the same problem the All Point Bulletin guys are having

Apparently CCP are not GPU bound in terms of graphical performance they are network bound

sounds like the same problem the All Point Bulletin guys are having
Not exactly. If you change your PS3's resolution to 576p then Dust's framerate will skyrocket. Lower framerates at higher resolutions is generally due to a GPU bottleneck.

Sorral

Why no PC Version?

Simply put: They said they want to get a new audience since Eve is already on PC.

They already tried to get it on the 360, but MS said no since Dust 514 connects to Eve's servers. So Sony jumped in and they have been together ever since pretty much.

they specifically said themselves that they are network locked

35:20 of this video
I have seen the presentation, but I'm still not convinced by CCP's explanation. From personal testing I have confirmed that reducing the resolution produced a drastic improvement in framerate. For example, the map Line Harvest currently runs at sub 20fps in every brightness and environment condition at 720p. When you set the PS3 to 576p it runs at around 30fps with a lot less input lag (I'm not sure if this is a locked framerate but it's still a noticeable increase).

Of course it is still possible that the game is bottlenecked by the network in some way, although why would the framerate be improved at a lower resolution if this is then case? As far as I know, variation in fps at different resolutions is primarily due to GPU limitations.

People in my corporation and on the forums have also confirmed the performance increase at the lower res, eg: https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=70053

How do you 'change your PS3 resolution to 576p'?
Its a European PS3 feature based on the old PAL standard. I've not heard confirmation whether or not the framerate is affected by the US 480p resolution.

its not changing the resolution its changing the output of the image in 576p but its not rendering at 576p

Do you have a link which confirms that the PS3 can only downscale at lower resolutions, rather than rendering natively? In Dust the text is rendered completely differently in SD and the proportions of sections of the menus are changed as well.

Why no PC Version?

Ill guess that will happen if/when a ps4 version happens.

Will have to try this after its launched to see how its improved since I first played last.

UE3 was a really horrible choice for this sort of game and UE3 on ps3 doesn't help matters.

Violater

Looks much better, such a pity this game is coming at the end of the generation. I hope that have plans for a ps4 version.

Darkkn

I feel that they definitely shot themselves in the foot, by developing the game for current gen consoles, launching so close to next-gen. A game with this scope and ambition would be much better suited for next-gen. The ps3 version is going to define the game even if it gets next-gen version.

Setsuna

putting this on the ps4 would be a dumb idea

how many people are going to

buy a ps4 that costs 400$+
to play dust 514
and pay enough to make developing the game reasonable

vs

developing on a system with 70 million install base
that can be bought for like 150-250 dollars
that is willing to actually play dust 514

Akainu

putting this on the ps4 would be a dumb idea

how many people are going to

buy a ps4 that costs 400$+
to play dust 514
and pay enough to make developing the game reasonable

vs

developing on a system with 70 million install base
that can be bought for like 150-250 dollars
that is willing to actually play dust 514
What? Who buys a system
and only plays one game on it. It's free to play anyway
with micro transactions. Considering
I keep getting killed with aur paid weapons I'm sure money
isn't that big of a issue. You aren't making sense.

Epcott

Tried to play the game today for the first time. Nodded off during the menu screen tutorials. Holy shit is it intimidating.

Tried to play the game today for the first time. Nodded off during the menu screen tutorials. Holy shit is it intimidating.
You might be best waiting until the new update on May 6th. The game should become a bit more streamlined for new players, for example the skill system is being made a lot more intuitive and user friendly.

Epcott

You might be best waiting until the new update on May 6th. The game should become a bit more streamlined for new players, for example the skill system is being made a lot more intuitive and user friendly.

Thanks for the heads up. I may still try again tomorrow and just go in tutorial free, guns blazing.

Since the game launches on 5.14, is anyone doing an OT? This game has made so much progression since the early days of beta and people out there should know.

They said during the keynote that not only are the graphics improved, but the game will also run faster. Win-win.

I'm liking how this looks.

Did they talk about having more varied environments?

They showed during a later presentation at fan fest that they have several new environments such as snow, lava, zero g mining stations, cloud city, and even spaceship interiors that they can role out at any time, but they want to finish making this current environment type the best they can before getting sidetracked. Still, expect them soon.

Looks much better, such a pity this game is coming at the end of the generation. I hope that have plans for a ps4 version.
Think about it like this, there will be tons of people saving up for a PS4 that a completely free to play game like Dust will make sense for many until then.

androvsky

They showed during a later presentation at fan fest that they have several new environments such as snow, lava, zero g mining stations, cloud city, and even spaceship interiors that they can role out at any time, but they want to finish making this current environment type the best they can before getting sidetracked. Still, expect them soon.

Wow, when they talked about non-temperate planets last year I got the impression they were several years away from implementing them. That's going to be pretty wild, especially the spaceship interiors if they allow Dust players to invade EVE ships like they were considering.

Wow, when they talked about non-temperate planets last year I got the impression they were several years away from implementing them. That's going to be pretty wild, especially the spaceship interiors if they allow Dust players to invade EVE ships like they were considering.
From the sounds of it, Dust players will be invading NPC Titans sort of like the NPC Titan from the Battle of Caldari Prime a few weeks ago. I wouldn't get my hopes up for invading actual player controlled Titans or other ships, but you never know.

Welp, Patch Notes are out.

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=71944&find=unread

Highlights :

Path to Game and Overall UI
* Major improvement to the login flow. Time to merc quarter reduced from 4:30 seconds to 1:30 seconds on average
* Removed Specializations

Skills
* Weapon skill bonuses are now weapon-specific as opposed to providing blanket bonuses across Light, Sidearm and Heavy categories

Weapons
* Weapon tiers streamlined so that more side grades are unlocked in the advanced tier and more exotic variants in the prototype tier
* Reduced damage and max range of the HMG

Controls
* Completely retuned controller sensitivity settings in the options menu to give a broader range

Turrets
* Increased splash damage on Small Missile Turrets

Adjustments to ISK prices
* Lowered prices on standard and advanced items in all categories while keeping the price level of prototype items mostly intact
* Simplified the pricing on dropsuits – there’s now just one price category (i.e. heavy dropsuits now cost the same as assault dropsuits of the same meta level)
* Reduced the price of Dropships in half (approximately)
* Changed the base price points on vehicle modules and turrets – vehicle modules will be less costly than before, while vehicle turrets will be more expensive
* Changed the base price points on equipment – equipment will now be less expensive overall

Equipment
* Added the ability to use the nanite injector even when you do not have it selected

woolley

So it should be a lot easier to stay supplied with good equipment without having to be in a corp? Sounds good to me.

Setsuna

the official dust forums are going crazy with these upcoming changes

no one is liking anything

the amount of sp needed to get into classes are being increased
skills are being separated into 2 or more skills
weapons are being nerfed
dropsuits are being nerfed

everything is getting nerfed except assault suits and the assault rifle which are in fact getting a slight buff with a reduction in recoil

this game is not ready to be released as a "AAA game" as CCP states

the official dust forums are going crazy with these upcoming changes

no one is liking anything

the amount of sp needed to get into classes are being increased
skills are being separated into 2 or more skills
weapons are being nerfed
dropsuits are being nerfed

everything is getting nerfed except assault suits and the assault rifle which are in fact getting a slight buff with a reduction in recoil

this game is not ready to be released as a "AAA game" as CCP states

It's more just a vocal minority. Some of the higher level items now require more SP to skill into, but a lot of people still agree that Uprising is a massive upgrade over the current build. Planetary conquest looks great as well because now we have something really worth fighting for.

Hell I'm sold soley by the re-introduction of dropship southpaw controls.

I saw walking out of the shop earlier thinking about this and it hit me out of the blue that its coming out on 5.14. Oh you Icelanders.

Anyway, are they adding trophies?

Darknight

So is this free to play or do you buy the actual game? Why are there "Free DUST 514" game vouchers say on ebay if its F2P?

I've been meaning to try this, but I got side tracked with the Battlefield 3 expansions and Planetside 2's release.

How are you guys finding it thus far? Is it a worthy MMOFPS?

Does it hold up well next to something like MAG on PS3?

Sorral

Since the game launches on 5.14, is anyone doing an OT? This game has made so much progression since the early days of beta and people out there should know.

Maybe I can after I am done with my finals on the 8th.

I've been meaning to try this, but I got side tracked with the Battlefield 3 expansions and Planetside 2's release.

How are you guys finding it thus far? Is it a worthy MMOFPS?

Does it hold up well next to something like MAG on PS3?

Maybe with the Uprising build, it will hold up better to MAG.
MAG had no performance issues and was very stable for the kind of thing it was doing. But this current build(along with the previous ones) of Dust makes me want to pull my hair out because of the stutters, frame rate drops and some lag as it is a real beta. The Uprising build should be fixing most of these issues.

For comparison, this is how the game looks like in the current beta (Cronus?) build (These SS's are from Youtube, so they look far worse than they really are, but you get the idea):

And this is the upcoming Uprising build:

Is there a update before uprising?

Uprising is the update, it's on Monday (6th May). This includes things like the graphical upgrade, streamlined skill system and updated factional warfare. It's not 100% confirmed, but 48 player battles might also be enabled, upgraded from the current 32 players.

14th May is being classed as the official release. That isn't a full new build, but they'll patch in certain pieces of content, such as new weapons, maps and planetary conquest mode.

They should have started developing on PS4...this game doesn't belong on PS3. Played two rounds, yea this is one the worst FPS's I have seen or played. Released in 2013 and somehow it manages to look worse than Battlefield 2142 which was released in 2006...

Awful graphics
Awful sound
Bad art everywhere
Bad tech
Terrible physics, stuff disappears too quickly

On the positive side at least the controls are really good. Game is being developed in China right? it figures...

Top Bottom