• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust 514 Open Beta Discussion/Impressions

Xater

o/ can't go wrong with playing more EVE :D. Was last year when you tried it out last? Since E3 the been through the Precursor and Codex builds to its current Chromosome build. The game's made serious leaps and bounds since back then and is expected to soon launch its release build (possibly around April to coincide with EVE FanFest) that will considerably upgrade graphics as well as a whole slew of new content and game modes.

I played it last in November. I think the performance issues are a shame because other wise the concept is cool.

maverick40

My main problem with it was when I tried it out last year was that it is terribly unpolished. I like the ideas in it but it looks and performs just absolutely terrible. I really hope they put this on PS4. I think CCP's lack of experience of the platform and at this point old hardware really doesn't help the game. I'll return to this once I hear impressions really change, for now I'll play some more EVE instead.

I was listening to the latest podcast beyond episode and they had a guy from CCP on it. It sounds like they have no plans right now for a ps4 version.

I played it last in November. I think the performance issues are a shame because other wise the concept is cool.

A ha. The Chromosome build launched in December and made HUGE steps forward. Performance can still be a bit iffy at times but is definitely headed in the right direction. Will be interesting to see what the April (speculation) build looks and plays like.

darkwing

http://dust514.com/news/blog/2013/03/planetary-conquest/

Details on the next patch, no idea when

The paint has finished drying on the open beta release of DUST 514® and we are hard at work on the next build. Such is the norm of operating a “game as a service” here at CCP. We have been making free EVE Online® expansions for ten years and will continue that commitment to the EVE Universe by evolving DUST 514 with regular, massive updates.

Building upon DUST 514’s solid foundation of FPS and social game mechanics, our attention now turns to greater involvements of the planets of New Eden--specifically how cool it would be to have one of your own. In an update arriving later this year, we will allow the planets—or rather the many districts on each planet—to be conquered by DUST 514 player corporations. Controlling these districts will amass wealth for you and your allies and provoke conflict with your enemies.

Violater

Does the game look like this yet?
forge_gunner_940.jpg

Akainu

In the intro cutscene yes.

I've found a new love in remote explosives.

"OH NO! SOMEONE IS HACKING THE NULL CANON!"

*boom*

nope

It's great because no one ever looks out for them.

There's a new dev blog on Planetary Conquest.
https://dust514.com/news/blog/2013/03/planetary-conquest/

planet_zps0996fd53.jpg

tl;dr Star Wars Battlefront II's "Galactic Conquest" on a larger online scale.

Among the many things coming in the latest Dust 514 update, aside from improved visuals, is Planetary Conquest. Here, corporations compete to gain control over districts across the galaxy. Districts are key locations on planets and in FPS terminology are essentially the "maps." Here is how it works.

When the game update comes, there will be around 250 districts. The key to owning these districts is clones. Clones are your reinforcements, your respawn. Each corporation, the game's word for "clan," starts out with 0 clones. However, for the price of 20,000,000 ISK (in-game currency) a corporation can buy a pack of 100 clones. Once you have clones, it becomes a mad dash to see who claims all these unclaimed districts first. After that? Well that's when the fun begins.

As an owner of a district, you start passively producing clones over time at a rate of 40 per day. The owner of each district also has an array of powers. For one they get to select the infrastructure of the districts (literally changing the entire look of the map). This will not only be for selecting the best structures to suit your corporation's playstyle, but they will also provide varying bonuses such as increasing the max number of clones your district can hold or increasing the rate of clone productions from 40 to 60 per day. The owner also must select a time frame from which enemies can attack, so you do not need a team of players watching guard 24/7.

If a corporation owns no districts, they must buy the 100 clone bundle and chose a district to attack. If an enemy already owns a district, they can only attack nearby districts/planets by moving however many clones they wish from your district to an enemy district. When an enemy corporation attacks, they must select how many clones they wish to bring into battle. The defending team on the other hand has access to all clones at that district. A Battlefield-like Conquest mode is then played and whichever side loses all their clones first loses the district - or in the case of the attacks - retreat. Since the defenders will likely start off with more clones than the attackers, multiple attacks over days or weeks must be made, so there is a real sense of ownership and persistence. Each district can only be attacked once per day, and the corporation that attacked the day prior gets first dibs if they want to attack again the next day to prevent another corporation from waiting until a defending corporation is almost depleted and then attacking.

Last but not least, if your corporation is so good that you amass a large excess of clones, you can sell them to other corporations for profit, allowing you to get more of your favorite dropsuits, guns, and vehicles!

Dust 514 is completely FREE TO PLAY so no excuse not to try it, and by no means is it pay to win. All the premium content is either the same as the free stuff except with early access or skill point boosters. Basically paying only lets you use stuff faster, but it takes a very short time to make one specialized trooper so all paying essentially gets you is quicker access to more variety, not better stuff. Once you create your character you start getting 1,000 free skill points every hour even if you're not online, so might as well create one now even if you don't plan on trying it right away.

You can create a character without even downloading the game using this link,
https://dust514.com/recruit/Bu7K7M/
This is actually a recruiter link, and everyone who uses it will get a free "Recruit Assault Rifle" for a slight beginners edge and a 7 day skill point booster, however you have to use the link before you get Dust 514 from the PS Store if you want the rewards.

and by no means is it pay to win. All the premium content is either the same as the free stuff except with early access or skill point boosters. Basically paying only lets you use stuff faster

Think that still counts as pay to win to some degree. But Pay to win actually makes sense for a game in the Eve Universe. Being able to throw more money at a problem than your competitors is a proud Eve tradition.

Think that still counts as pay to win to some degree. But Pay to win actually makes sense for a game in the Eve Universe. Being able to throw more money at a problem than your competitors is a proud Eve tradition.
Keep in mind the rate that people who pay get stuff at is only 50% faster. And again, if you wanted to created a top of the line frontline soldier you could do that in just a few weeks, the guy who paid would only have the same set of skills unlocked a week earlier. Note that this is not better gear, it's the same gear. You could call it pay to win in a sense if you want.

Afrikan

I believe they improved EVE Online over the years graphically...

will they do the same with Dust and eventually move over everything to a PS4 version? Maybe in a year or two.

I believe they improved EVE Online over the years graphically...

will they do the same with Dust and eventually move over everything to a PS4 version? Maybe in a year or two.
They already confirmed yes to both of these, and used the same example you did, how EVE looked when it first came out to how it looks now on improved hardware. They said they would put Dust 514 on PS7 if there ever was one.

I was very hyped about this game and I am very disappointed the way it turned out...
Let's see, how about I quote myself from the first page.

Tried this game in early beta, loved the ideas they were going for but hated the execution. Gave it another try last week and it felt like they made no progress whatsoever.

A shame, I really wanted to like this one.

This is one of those games where it takes awhile to "click." I'd recommend giving it another shot and trying to understand their mess of an interface for skill upgrades and dropsuit fitting.

darkwing

I was very hyped about this game and I am very disappointed the way it turned out...

it's not even finished yet

when it first launched there was no connection to the EVE universe, now I can join my EVE Corporation and talk with them

with the next update, we will conquer EVE planets

If a PC version comes out I'll be all over this. Even if it isn't as good as Planetside 2 when it's all said and done, the ability to have even a minor impact on EVE and communicate with people in those corps is really compelling to me. I can't give up gaming as a hobby for just EVE, so this is the next best thing. Having it tied to the PS3 as a baseline is nice as well, Planetside 2 is a bit much for my current setup.
There's KB/M support if that's why you want it for PC. If its because you don't have a PS3 or want to improve the settings, then I don't know. They said they're going to keep it exclusive to PlayStation systems but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up on PC one of these days.

The Light

Also for those who didn't like it at first, maybe you should try a different weapon? Here's a couple examples of weapons that you don't get from any of the starter fits.

Mass Driver

Laser Rifle
I've been using the mass driver and i'm horrible with it lol. I don't see how people get kills with that thing. Going to try and get better with it though, especially after upgrading the skill level 5.

params7

Banned
Tried the open beta again, played it, had a blast and got hooked. Skill ceiling is deep, which is what I love and something console FPS's severely lack and get a lot of bad rep over. Will be playing it a lot more.

I wish this game was on PC, I'm so bad at shooting with gamepad, especially in Dust.
There is KB/M support.

Tried the open beta again, played it, had a blast and got hooked. Skill ceiling is deep, which is what I love and something console FPS's severely lack and get a lot of bad rep over. Will be playing it a lot more.
I'm honestly interested in seeing who liked this game the first time they tried it. Everyone I come across who still plays this says basically the same thing.

The last time I checked it I wasn't pleased with how different it is with PC. NVM though, figured out how to play properly and I have a blast! What is our Corp again?
I'm in a corp with a bunch of my Warhawk buddies, appropriately named Chernova Industries. Though honestly we're pretty small, only 12 people. Planetary Conquest is going to be 16v16 at the start, and only going to get bigger. If there was enough interest for a GAF corp though

I'm in a corp with a bunch of my Warhawk buddies, appropriately named Chernova Industries. Though honestly we're pretty small, only 12 people. Planetary Conquest is going to be 16v16 at the start, and only going to get bigger. If there was enough interest for a GAF corp though

I found one called - suprise - NeoGAF.

What is the best weapon to use at middle-to-close range? Invested all my skills into SMG which turned out a complete garbage of a weapon.

Balya

What is the best weapon to use at middle-to-close range? Invested all my skills into SMG which turned out a complete garbage of a weapon.

Probably just Assault Rifle for most people who aren't Heavy, then you want a HMG. If you're going for Logistics builds (and usually run with a squad) you might consider a Mass Driver. If you're a Scout and can run in close enough it's Shotgun. That sucks about the SMG but sometimes having a decent sidearm could save you.

I'm in another corp of around 12 people started by an old school SOCOM (as in this clan existed on there in 2002) guy. It's Hellz Devilz Inc., apply if y'all want, I can approve you.

That might be the old EVE corp GAF made that never took off. All the corps are shared between the two games and players from both can be in the same corp.

As for weapon, the SMG isn't that bad. What level do you have it at? The last thing you want to do in this game is spend skill points trying to figure out what you want only to end up having a little skill points in everything and become a jack of all trades master of none. Go to militia gear and try out all the stuff and figure out what you want, it's cheap low quality gear but requires no skill points.

The SMG is not that bad at all though, it wins close range against anything other than a shotgun. The problem is the range, but this can be easily improved by upgrading your Sidearm Sharpshooting skill which gives a 5% increase in range to all sidearms per level. If you could get good with the SMG it is a nice weapon to have since it only counts as a sidearm and takes up less CPU/PG so you can fit better modules and such. Note though that the SMG fires actual bullets making it better versus armor and not shields, so equip a flux grenade to help lower enemy shields.

Yeah, I had no idea that SMG is a sidearm since I'm playing Triage alone and Logistic suits don't have sidearm weapon slot. I guess it was silly of me to expect high DPS from a last chance weapon. Thanks for suggesting Mass Driver, will definitely try it out.

My biggest concern about the game right now is that it lacks diversity. Hope new-coming update will fix that problem for me.

Akainu

I remember there was a video on playstation's youtube account with floating robots. Are those going to be in the full game?

I have some code thing for this game. No idea what it does, but the voucher says "content and credit" for the game. Got it for free with my PSN Credit Voucher. EU code.

Quote to see the code.

Also for those who didn't like it at first, maybe you should try a different weapon? Here's a couple examples of weapons that you don't get from any of the starter fits.

Mass Driver

Laser Rifle

These are the two weapons I rock with my Logi. :D

I believe, from what I've seen so far, and what I know of the future, that DUST 514 and EVE Online (combined IP seems to be labelled the EVE Universe), are going to be the biggest sci-fi IP in gaming. People will probably laugh at this, but it's my prediction...It won't happen over night, it will be a year or 3, but it will happen. A lot of people think the experience is the sum of what we have now, which couldn't be more wrong. :D Those who dig in now will be legends when the game blows up and more want in.

SparkTR

These are the two weapons I rock with my Logi. :D

I believe, from what I've seen so far, and what I know of the future, that DUST 514 and EVE Online (combined IP seems to be labelled the EVE Universe), are going to be the biggest sci-fi IP in gaming. People will probably laugh at this, but it's my prediction...It won't happen over night, it will be a year or 3, but it will happen. A lot of people think the experience is the sum of what we have now, which couldn't be more wrong. :D Those who dig in now will be legends when the game blows up and more want in.

Both EVE and Dust are way too complicated for mainstream penetration, especially EVE which has been around since 2003 and still has a comparatively small subscriber base. They'll service their fanbase, but anything more than that is wishful thinking in this industry.

Remmy2112

I know this has probably been asked (many) times before but has CCP given any indication on whether or not a PC port of Dust 514 is in the works/possible, or is this game going to be PS3/4 forever?

In that token, have they stated that the game will support PS4 in the future or such? Seems like it will hurt the game's longevity if it stays only on PS3.

Ixion

Both EVE and Dust are way too complicated for mainstream penetration, especially EVE which has been around since 2003 and still has a comparatively small subscriber base. They'll service their fanbase, but anything more than that is wishful thinking in this industry.

I agree with this. CCP will have to do some significant streamlining to make DUST a mainstream title. The current menus for the store and upgrades are way too complicated for a console shooter.

The good news is that the menus should be receiving a major overhaul with April's big update.

I know this has probably been asked (many) times before but has CCP given any indication on whether or not a PC port of Dust 514 is in the works/possible, or is this game going to be PS3/4 forever?

In that token, have they stated that the game will support PS4 in the future or such? Seems like it will hurt the game's longevity if it stays only on PS3.

CCP wants the game to be on 'PS7'. So yeah, they'll keep bringing the game to each new generation if the game is successful.

I'm not sure what the status is with a PC version though.

This is certainly a real issue and an obstacle to my claim. The new Uprising build is set to make DUST a lot more accessible. The skill training system has been simplified, the UI for skills and the game in general have also been reworked to make it easier to understand. EVE has also had vast improvements to this end.

This is certainly a real issue and an obstacle to my claim. The new Uprising build is set to make DUST a lot more accessible. The skill training system has been simplified, the UI for skills and the game in general have also been reworked to make it easier to understand. EVE has also had vast improvements to this end.
They are also going to make it easier to get a taste of the deeper end of the universe without over complicating it. If you have a group of friends and want to experience the persistent universe but don't really want to go through the hassle of managing territories and such you can form a sort of mercenary corporation and take up contracts (battles) from people who are doing all the managing stuff. If you are just by yourself or with a friend or two you can do do faction warfare, pick a side and jump right into it and know that who wins will effect the future. Sounds pretty simple.

Akainu

https://soundcloud.com/ccpgames/sets/dust-514-merc-cast/

Skip to the 4 minute mark. All skill points accrued since your characters were created are getting refunded with the next udpate on May 6th. This is now a good time to stop saving up for that top tier item and instead try out different items while you aren't eternally bound to them.
I can't listen to this right now but all 3 million of my points will be unallocated save for the ones spent on the starter build?

I can't listen to this right now but all 3 million of my points will be unallocated save for the ones spent on the starter build?
Yes they'll all be refunded (plus the ISK cost of the skillbooks you used), but it's possible that the starter builds will be removed as well. Essentially they're streamlining and changing a lot of skills to make progression more logical and easier for newcomers to get into. Part of this process is removing skill prerequisites, meaning that every skill will be available to train from the start.

The character creation process has been completely changed as well. CCP haven't said too much about what the changes will be, but it sounds like we'll finally be able to make our own custom avatars, like in Eve.

Akainu

Yes they'll all be refunded (plus the ISK cost of the skillbooks you used), but it's possible that the starter builds will be removed as well. Essentially they're streamlining and changing a lot of skills to make progression more logical and easier for newcomers to get into. Part of this process is removing skill prerequisites, meaning that every skill will be available to train from the start.

The character creation process has been completely changed as well. CCP haven't said too much about what the changes will be, but it sounds like we'll finally be able to make our own custom avatars, like in Eve.
Alright thanks.

When did they say they were removing prerequisites?

When did they say they were removing prerequisites?
Actually, I misheard, it's just secondary and tertiary skill prerequisites that are being removed. So it probably means that for some skills there is a single skill you have to train up first in order to have access to it, but there's no longer overly complex skill chains.

It's mentioned in the podcast, just after 3 minutes: http://dust514.com/beta/news/2013/04/merc-cast-episode-1/

Sorral

Man

CCP wants the game to be on 'PS7'. So yeah, they'll keep bringing the game to each new generation if the game is successful.
A PS4 port would be godsend. Unreal engine on PS3 and CPP's handling of the architecture is just a tragedy, these guys need a familiar PC like system.

Top Bottom