• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
"I remember everything... AND IT CHANGES NOTHING!"

Man, this is the kinda thing I think about when people mention HD Megaman games... And HD 2D Castlevania...

Those companies may not have delivered on that potential... but maybe Dust will help prove there's a hungry market for such games, once again!

*InsertManlyTearsJPGhere*

That art style isn't helping it. The game looks neat but man that main character isn't a selling point.

YEAH, I KNOW, RITE?!??!?!? STUPID DUDEBRO BALD WHITE GUY SPACE MARINE! (-_-;)

If anything, I find Dust less offensive than Sonic or Crash, really. He's human enough not to look entirely cartoony and animalistic, but beastly enough to not be a generic human protag. I wouldn't give him any more of a second thought, than I'd give Alucard, or Zero.

bradigor

I still hope that games like this, Trine and Rayman see a real return to the glory days of 2D gaming.

It's proper gaming, from my youth, but so much prettier.

Noogy

It'll be available at Wednesday around 2:00AM on XBLA, right? I'm staying up for this Tuesday night @_@

Yes, I've been told that's a good estimate. FYI, for those worried about the game eating up your harddrive, the game clocks in at just under 600MB. Not bad considering the amount of graphics/video/voice I've crammed into it.

Yes, I've been told that's a good estimate. FYI, for those worried about the game eating up your harddrive, the game clocks in at just under 600MB. Not bad considering the amount of graphics/video/voice I've crammed into it.

600MB of goodness, I see. Nothin' to my 250GB HDD. Thanks for the info.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It'll be available at Wednesday around 2:00AM on XBLA, right? I'm staying up for this Tuesday night @_@

2am PST ~ 5am EST.

Best to expect it an hour later than that, though. It's rare that anything goes up RIGHT on time anymore. Sometimes, the games don't properly roll out until about 4 hours later, or worse...Optimus Prime would be ashamed.

TheOddOne

Devintart characters aside, this looks like everything I've ever wanted

Money will be spent. There Will Be (furry) Blood.
iJmV8HCjyc3Zp.gif

2am PST ~ 5am EST.

Best to expect it an hour later than that, though. It's rare that anything goes up RIGHT on time anymore. Sometimes, the games don't properly roll out until about 4 hours later, or worse...Optimus Prime would be ashamed.

Yep, sometimes the Xbox site even has it available for download before the 360 does.

LiK

impressive. any plans for DLC?

Coconut

Banned
"I remember everything... AND IT CHANGES NOTHING!"

Man, this is the kinda thing I think about when people mention HD Megaman games... And HD 2D Castlevania...

Those companies may not have delivered on that potential... but maybe Dust will help prove there's a hungry market for such games, once again!

*InsertManlyTearsJPGhere*

YEAH, I KNOW, RITE?!??!?!? STUPID DUDEBRO BALD WHITE GUY SPACE MARINE! (-_-;)

If anything, I find Dust less offensive than Sonic or Crash, really. He's human enough not to look entirely cartoony and animalistic, but beastly enough to not be a generic human protag. I wouldn't give him any more of a second thought, than I'd give Alucard, or Zero.

My opinion is from a business stand point rather than a gamers stand point if the game plays well i'll check it out. I'll try this game out . I just find it hard to believe that a person just a little less interest in games as I do would look at that and want to buy it.

Wow, awesome trailer Noogy. I am excite, etc.

Now I'm hoping that those codes you speak of come before Wednesday, because I wants this.

Seda

So Noogy, were you given a stipend by MS or something as you made this game or was a lot of it out of pocket? I watch the GB interview and you said it was long days many days a week. How did you afford it?

Labadal

Haven't bought an XBLA game for some time now. This and Mark of the Ninja will be mine. Game looks amazaing, but I might have ruined the fresh experience a little bit. It feels like I've watched a dozen streams and gameplay videos. I won't watch anymore. The attention to detail is stunning, and the mix of gameplay is right up my alley.

Noogy

So Noogy, were you given a stipend by MS or something as you made this game or was a lot of it out of pocket? I watch the GB interview and you said it was long days many days a week. How did you afford it?

Yes, completely self-funded. Basically lived very modestly. More than anything I hope Dust:AET does well enough to warrant making another game.

TEJ

Yes, completely self-funded. Basically lived very modestly. More than anything I hope Dust:AET does well enough to warrant making another game.

I don't normally buy dlc, but I will buy all the dlc {including gamerpics, avatar items, themes} you release for it just to help you out :)

-GJ-

I saw some people freaking out about the 1000+ combo achievement in the XBLA thread. It isn't that hard to unlock. My highest chain til now was 1900+. The hard part is to actually land the chain without getting it broken. Took me a lot of tries to actually land it though, because most of the times I get backstabbed out of my chains, haha.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
My opinion is from a business stand point rather than a gamers stand point if the game plays well i'll check it out. I'll try this game out . I just find it hard to believe that a person just a little less interest in games as I do would look at that and want to buy it.

I just wonder where some of that comes from. If not for knowing of the "Seedy" side of "Furry" stuff, thanks to the internet (and that one time they had it on CSI!), my first thoughts go to "Disney" and "Old Video games". With a side of "Sesame Street" and "Pixar" thrown in for good measure.

Surely, for the average consumer, these aren't bad associations.

Now if Dust (the character) turned out to be a fetishy version of, say, Gadget from Rescue Rangers... yeah. That'd be weird. I'd totally see your point.

But in a world were children / teen super hero comics make some of the most motion picture bank out there, singing penguins make box office magic, and, err, CIRCUS AFRO, CIRCUS AFRO, whats to stop a non-offensive animal-light mascot from being a big gaming hit? Why should Dust be any more hated than Sonic? (Who continues to be super-successful, regardless of what those of the internet say about his recent games...)

In the "Gaming friend of a friend" category of people, who just follow trends, and buy whats hot, is Dust any worse than the cast of Castle Crashers, for instance?

I just wonder where some of that comes from. If not for knowing of the "Seedy" side of "Furry" stuff, thanks to the internet (and that one time they had it on CSI!), my first thoughts go to "Disney" and "Old Video games". With a side of "Sesame Street" and "Pixar" thrown in for good measure.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I see so much hate towards it but, like you, I just think of older animated movies and Sesame Street.

And Harry and the Hendersons!

Now if Dust (the character) turned out to be a fetishy version of, say, Gadget from Rescue Rangers... yeah. That'd be weird. I'd totally see your point.

But in a world were children / teen super hero comics make some of the most motion picture bank out there, singing penguins make box office magic, and, err, CIRCUS AFRO, CIRCUS AFRO, whats to stop a non-offensive animal-light mascot from being a big gaming hit? Why should Dust be any more hated than Sonic? (Who continues to be super-successful, regardless of what those of the internet say about his recent games...)

In the "Gaming friend of a friend" category of people, who just follow trends, and buy whats hot, is Dust any worse than the cast of Castle Crashers, for instance?

when I first look at this game I thought it was one of those furry things that I see on youtube or games like secondlife but then I watched the video and was blown away so i look past the furry animal sort of thing.

It actually really reminds me of a classic flash cartoon that never got completed "little Ninjai"

ninjai1.jpg

see5harp

The whole furry complaint goes right over my head. I don't even know what the hell a furry is. "Deviantart characters" makes no sense to me because I've seen all sorts of great, varied art on that site.

LiK

The whole furry complaint goes right over my head. I don't even know what the hell a furry is. "Deviantart characters" makes no sense to me because I've seen all sorts of great, varied art on that site.

"Deviant art furry" jokes are pretty old by now. i really don't understand people's weirdness over it.

see5harp

"Deviant art furry" jokes are pretty old by now. i really don't understand people's weirdness over it.

Really. I look at most of the art and it reminds me of Don Bluth (think An American Tale) mixed with some of the cool sword play you might see in a modern animation series. It's not like the flying sidekick has a nice ass or anything.

LiK

Really. I look at most of the art and it reminds me of Don Bluth (think An American Tale) mixed with some of the cool sword play you might see in a modern animation series. It's not like the flying sidekick has a nice ass or anything.

i guess people who looked at a lot of weird furry art cannot erase it from their minds, haha

Odrion

Banned
On the whole subject of "ew furry art!" Here's a quote from the Lackadaisy author (the prohibition cat comic) that I always liked.

Anonymous asked: How do you feel about your comic being associated with the furry fandom? Do you mind that readers often assume your characters are actual cat people?

The fact that they’re cats is rather beside the point. The story isn’t about them being cats. It’s intended as a playful visual for the comic more than anything else, but whether a reader sees them as literal cats, as cartoons, as punny metaphors for otherwise human characters, or whatever is really up to the reader. The fact that they’re reading it at all - hopefully because they enjoy it - is the part that matters to me.

That the comic has been associated with the furry fandom has been detrimental on the whole. I need to clarify why, though, and it’s not because I’ve had any troubles with people who identify as furries. It’s because the terror of being mistaken for a furry (presumably for liking something with animals in it) turns certain individuals into obnoxious, insecure, trumpeting assholes. I’ve learned to stop caring when that happens in forum discussions or even right in front of me at comic conventions, but when it happens at, say, a corporate level (and it has) then I get kind of pissed off.
I’m sure there are plenty of legitimate reasons to dismiss or dislike my comic, but for those of you who do it because junior high school level internet politics hold sway over some part of your real life decision-making, you should probably be less concerned about furries and more concerned about just what is wrong with you.

…And that’s probably enough pontificating from me for the evening.

Devintart characters aside, this looks like everything I've ever wanted

Money will be spent. There Will Be (furry) Blood.

Funny that a lot of deviantart is better than the professional stuff.

You've got two sales from me.

Grisby

So that's music from the game? Damn, that's some good stuff.

Good show Noogy, hell of a trailer for an XBLA game. Might be the best one I've ever seen.

charsace

How much time did you spend working on the graphics? Did you use any shaders?

Coconut

Banned

The days of the anthropomorphised disney-like characters are long gone. This game doesn't look to be trying to hit that 10 and under market like Madagascar but instead a teen and up. And sonic is not successful it just keeps getting crammed down our throats and never sell to expectations. Castle Crashers design has more to do visually with South Park than Gadget from rescue Rangers.

Is this the first XBLA game claiming to be a Metroid-like since Shadow Complex?

Or was that new Rush 'n Attack supposed to fall under the same umbrella as well?

Top Bottom