• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

Noogy

curious, is the Youtube trailer also 60fps?

No, it's only 30. Looks MUCH better at 60. I've never been able to quite figure out how to do 60 through Youtube, but if I can I'll definitely update it. I'll also provide a 60fps version for the press, I know there are sites that provide 60fps videos.

LiK

No, it's only 30. Looks MUCH better at 60. I've never been able to quite figure out how to do 60 through Youtube, but if I can I'll definitely update it. I'll also provide a 60fps version for the press, I know there are sites that provide 60fps videos.

oh man, i watched the trailer like 5 times in a row. gonna be so good on the teevee!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Hooray for Gamersyde.

Noogy

oh man, i watched the trailer like 5 times in a row. gonna be so good on the teevee!

Thank you, I appreciate it :) Admittedly I rarely saw it on a nice flatscreen, I usually work in a tiny little window on my PC. I'm actually waiting on playing it myself because I want to unlock achievements when everyone else does (yeah, I'm silly).

Ventron

Hey, congrats on the release! You're a fantastic artist, I'm still blown away by that boxart you drew for me 18 months ago :)

Too bad I don't have a 360 at this time so I can't play it :( Will you be at PAX Prime to show it off again?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
On the whole subject of "ew furry art!" Here's a quote from the Lackadaisy author (the prohibition cat comic) that I always liked.

One thing I'll say about the 'furry' angle and this game, is that the 'eww furries' reaction to Dust have seemingly dropped off very sharply over the last four years since the game first got noticed.

Basically furries are old meme now. Really, it was already old news that most people didn't know about / care about four years ago. The 'internet politics' over furries reached its height and crested like around 2001 or 2002, and you can practically carbon date a person as developmentally stunted when they dredge up Something Awful furry snipes from a decade ago.

The thing is, the universal appeal of anthropomorphic creatures (whether they're based on real animals or fantasy) is timeless. It outlasted a transient pop culture phase where everyone lost their shit over finding out there was a specific fandom about them. (Because people are dumb and lose their shit at discovering anything that tips their tea table.)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I can't believe you got all that from what I've seen between both PlayXBLA sessions and everything else I've seen so far at only around 600 MB - very impressive.

Noogy, well done.

This is the first time I've seen/read anything about the game... and it's an easy purchase from me. Simply outstanding. The music, the art, the combat... it looks like a better version of Dishwasher or Muramasa (Wii).

I must say however, that while the animations (particularly Dust's idle standing pose) are all bad ass... the standard walk/run looks a little awkward?

Well done, I hope this is a massive success for you.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
In all honesty I have to admit that I am slightly averse to this kind of art style/character design in general. That being said, I am going to go into this with an open mind and I truly do want to like it. Aside from whatever strange objection I have to the character design/furry stuff I think the graphics are gorgeous. I also love Metroidvania stuff. And judging from the trailer the voice acting sounds phenomenal. I particularly like the main character's actor.

TheMan

i have limited points and I'm torn between this and minecraft. hopefully this one doesn't turn out to be disappointing like THPSHD

alphaNoid

Banned
In all honesty I have to admit that I am slightly averse to this kind of art style/character design in general. That being said, I am going to go into this with an open mind and I truly do want to like it. Aside from whatever strange objection I have to the character design/furry stuff I think the graphics are gorgeous. I also love Metroidvania stuff. And judging from the trailer the voice acting sounds phenomenal. I particularly like the main character's actor.

I feel the same, this game is so captivating that I'm willing to dip into a genre of art I tend to avoid like the plague. That means ultimate kudos to Noogy for really developing AAA content in such a compact package.

Games like this are what gaming is really ... really all about.

edit. Also, this will be my first Day 1 purchase all year. I've been saving MS points from Christmas for this summer and Dust is the only game I'm buying from Summer of Arcade.

Noogy

I feel the same, this game is so captivating that I'm willing to dip into a genre of art I tend to avoid like the plague. That means ultimate kudos to Noogy for really developing AAA content in such a compact package.

Games like this are what gaming is really ... really all about.

edit. Also, this will be my first Day 1 purchase all year. I've been saving MS points from Christmas for this summer and Dust is the only game I'm buying from Summer of Arcade.

Thank you. I know the art is a turnoff to some, but there are valid narrative reasons why I chose it which I don't want to spoil here. Also, I find humans to be too restrictive when it comes to animation. If I hadn't chosen animals, I would have gone with silverware or automotive accessories.

OnPoint

Thank you. I know the art is a turnoff to some, but there are valid narrative reasons why I chose it which I don't want to spoil here. Also, I find humans to be too restrictive when it comes to animation. If I hadn't chosen animals, I would have gone with silverware or automotive accessories.

I want to see that game made.

Card Boy

Banned
Much, much longer than that. Especially if you want to find every hidden/secret item or whatever, I think you could at least double it. Don't take my word on it though, since I haven't completed the game yet, but I think 15-20 hours is a good estimate of the length.

wow. You just got me more excited. I got a feeling this game will redeem this Winter of the Arcade, it's being a disaster on so many levels so far. It's seems Dust is a steal at 1200 MS points.

4887_3.jpg

Deadlight is an ok game.

Put that on the box. "IGN Calls Deadlight...'OK'" Mehhhhhhh

There's been no Lara Croft. No Limbo. No Bastion. No Shadow Complex. Nothing that remotely comes close to those. Maybe this will be that game. I hope so.

2011 was just as bad but at least that time they had the best game first. (bastion)

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. 2011 had a lot of good games, plus the awesome Bastion. And a good free game if you met the requirements.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. 2011 had a lot of good games, plus the awesome Bastion. And a good free game if you met the requirements.
Hmm in hindsight, I may have exagerated that a little. :p

At the very least 2011 had a large proportion of games which suited my interests but didnt quite deliver in my eyes. The only two titles I was actually interested in this term were deadlight and dust.

bumpkin

Man, just watched the trailer... It seems almost impossible to me for someone who wasn't a coder to have created something that marvelous on their own. I bow to your dedication and talent, sir.

Seda

What is the turn off for some people with the art? I think I'm missing something...it all looks beautiful.

I guess to some people, anthropomorphic animals + anything resembling something somewhat close to an anime style = furry

I don't get it.

Fjordson

Oh. Hm, hadn't really thought of the animal thing. But meh, Sonic was a hedgehog or whatever right? And Tails was a fox or some shit :lol nothing new for games.

I love everything about the game, except for the character designs....which I'm just ok with. Not sure why they need to be furries...
What's with this "furry" BS? It's getting old. Did you not grow up watching Mickey Mouse, Goofy, Donald Duck, Chip and Dale, Bugs Bunny, Care Bears, Pinky and the Brain, The Grinch, Garfield, Heathcliff, Cat in the Hat, Glow Friends, Secret of Nihm, Fievel Goes West, A Land Before Time? Do you not enjoy movies like Ice Age, Madagascar, Open Season, Monster's Inc and Finding Nemo?

Don't let an internet trend cloud your judgment and make you into an idiot. These classic characters, Dust and the character in my avatar are simply cartoon characters, nothing more, nothing less.

alphaNoid

Banned
By all means, create as you please... You are the artist. I just don't have a history of anime favorites so I often just skip. I should add that your art is actually what pulled me in. The color the beauty but what kept me around was the action and your massive feature list.

I'm genuinely giddy about getting my hands on this. I truly your love letter to yesteryear and for many of us as well :)

charsace

Dust isn't furry at all. If it was an animal sex simulator it would make sense to call it a furry game. But the game isn't that.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Dust isn't furry at all. If it was an animal sex simulator it would make sense to call it a furry game. But the game isn't that.
Yeah, no.

The guy has animal ears, an animal nose, has what looks like fur, and a tail. Pretty sure that's a furry type of character.

Not even sure what a "furry game" is.

charsace

Yeah, no.

The guy has animal ears, an animal nose, has what looks like fur, and a tail. Pretty sure that's a furry type of character.

Not even sure what a "furry game" is.

The term you're looking for is anthropomorphic not furry. Furry has to do with applying sexual traits to anthropomorphic characters or a person who dresses up as an animal. Because last time I checked Disney and Warner Bros don't call their cartoon characters furry.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
We call those cartoon characters.

The term you're looking for is anthropomorphic not furry. Furry has to do with applying sexual ideas to anthropomorphic characters or a person who dresses up as an animal. Because last time I checked Disney and Warner Bros don't call their cartoon characters furry.

Pretty sure you can still classify a cartoon character as a furry. I've asked an expert on this subject and he agrees.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Furry is not necessarily sexual. While I'll gladly admit that most of furry fandom is obsessed with sex, I have to ask, which fandom isn't?

Fjordson

What's with this "furry" BS? It's getting old. Did you not grow up watching Mickey Mouse, Goofy, Donald Duck, Chip and Dale, Bugs Bunny, Care Bears, Pinky and the Brain, The Grinch, Garfield, Heathcliff, Cat in the Hat, Glow Friends, Secret of Nihm, Fievel Goes West, A Land Before Time? Do you not enjoy movies like Ice Age, Madagascar, Open Season, Monster's Inc and Finding Nemo?
This is sort of what I was thinking. Anthropomorphic characters are old news at this point.

But I admittedly know next to nothing about Furries and what the criteria is for something to be "furry" so I'm probably the wrong person to be talking about this.

Top Bottom