• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

Fjordson

Sorry for shitting the thread up a bit. Totally slipped my mind when I asked the initial question. My bad =[

Actually have another honest question: is there any sort of soundtrack released planned? Digital or otherwise?

Noogy

Sorry for shitting the thread up a bit. Totally slipped my mind when I asked the initial question. My bad =[

Actually have another honest question: is there any sort of soundtrack released planned? Digital or otherwise?

Hyperduck and I have been talking about this for a while. We'll DEFINITELY be doing an OST of sorts, but haven't made any final decisions. Admittedly it's been like driving a schoolbus with no brakes at 600mph for the last four months. A bus full of Fabergé eggs.

LiK

Hyperduck and I have been talking about this for a while. We'll DEFINITELY be doing an OST of sorts, but haven't made any final decisions. Admittedly it's been like driving a schoolbus with no brakes at 600mph for the last four months. A bus full of Fabergé eggs.

Take your time.

Ken

I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to playing this soon because P4A but I'll buy it day 1 regardless. Looks awesome.

Fjordson

Haha, I can see that. Must feel nice (and slightly nerve-wracking) to be at the finish line and just have people play the game.

My one and only issue with the art is that turquoise is an ugly-ass colour. And really doesn't work with everything else in the game looking so beautiful.

dust would of looked so much better in purple and gold or red and black.

but it's such a minor issue. This furry thing is just a internet term. Never heard it mentioned in the real world.

Zeal

Banned
Noogy, do you have somekind of secret technique that somehow makes the animation so fluid? Maybe it's the fact that the game is running at 60fps, but this is the closest to playing an actual cartoon/anime I have ever seen.

And how the heck is the game so small in terms of size? Did you use Flash and somekind of alien technology to compress it? Amazing stuff going on here.

Noogy

if you create a weapon will it visually appear on your character and does it only apply to weapons?

All upgrades are non-cosmetic. Cosmetic upgrades wouldn't be possible with a hand animated character on this scale, and I wanted to keep the protagonist iconic. Also, the 360 only has 512mb of RAM and I use it all.

Noogy, do you have somekind of secret technique that somehow makes the animation so fluid? Maybe it's the fact that the game is running at 60fps, but this is the closest to playing an actual cartoon/anime I have ever seen.

And how the heck is the game so small in terms of size? Did you use Flash and somekind of alien technology to compress it? Amazing stuff going on here.

It was just a matter of creating a LOT of animation at a high frame rate. The reason you don't see many HD 2D games with 'true' traditional animation is that it's incredibly memory intensive (compared to a segmented or 3D character, which is basically just code and a texture). I do use a segmented system for enemies, but I spend most of my memory on Dust himself.

As for the file size, I honestly don't know why so many XBLA games are so big. I did try to keep the file small since I personally like when a dev respects my limited storage space, but yeah, I didn't do anything fancy. It definitely isn't a small game.

Violet_0

Banned
heh, I knew exactly where this thread was heading to after seeing the character art

in any case, I'll await the reviews first, but the game looks fun

How come I don't hear any of this furry stuff for ...say... Sly Cooper?

Because he's a raccoon and resembles a raccoon, much like disney and looney tunes characters, personally, once i see a human hairstyle on a mammal like creature, i tune out. not my cup, but i don't knock those who drink from it.

Akainu

Because he's a raccoon and resembles a raccoon, much like disney and looney tunes characters, personally, once i see a human hairstyle on a mammal like creature, i tune out. not my cup, but i don't knock those who drink from it.
Main could use some stripes and wings. Maybe a horn or two.

eso76

in any case, I'll await the reviews first, but the game looks fun

nah, why would you need to wait for reviews. It's cheap, just buy it and support talent.

I don't even know anything about this game, except that it's a metroidvania and that it looks fabulous (from the couple short vids i watched) but it's at the top of my most wanted list for this year and a 3/10 metacritic average wouldn't keep me from getting this day 1. I'm sure even the art alone would be more than worth my money.

I've been waiting on this game for years, since it first started off as some sort of XNA project (I think) for MS. Only developed by one person and that's impressive as hell, so Noogy deserves the support.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Established during the furry craze. You didn't see this bullshit in regards to Sly though.

Everyone knows Sly Cooper is a furry though.

(last post about this, I promise. Sorry Noogy.)

eso76

rWZCR.jpg

oh well, alright
+1 sale when I get back

that was easy. Wise choice, you won't regret it

only the really creepy kind. Eh, we should really drop this topic

Yeah, I've been avoiding that since I don't really care, but raised the question since people seemed bothered by it and wanted to know.

Anyway, is there an option for skippable scenes? Might come in handy in future playthroughs.

Speed run purposes, Noogy. :p

Btw Noogy, may I have permission to post boss battle videos and such on my YT channel? I'll be sure to link everyone to the Xbox Live Marketplace page for ya too.

Everyone knows Sly Cooper is a furry though.

(last post about this, I promise. Sorry Noogy.)

Its not about whether or not he's a "furry", its about an aesthetic that screams "idealized animal version of an existing human", usually the artist. Sly cooper lacks that aesthetic, he's a racoon.

rWZCR.jpg

that was easy. Wise choice, you won't regret it

Should have put hair on the cow in your avatar, there are two humans with hair in my avatar by the way.

edit: your avatar spoof is actually growing on me, NPI, i think i'll use it every now and again.

Feindflug

OK this must be the best trailer I've seen for an XBLA game...simply breathtaking. O_O

Can't fuckin' wait for the game!

BTW Noogy I'd love to see a premium theme, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Its not about whether or not he's a "furry", its about an aesthetic that screams "idealized animal version of an existing human", usually the artist. Sly cooper lacks that aesthetic, he's a racoon.

Really? Isn't that what "anthropomorphic" actually means? Sly Cooper isn't just a raccoon, he walks on two legs, talks human speak, wears clothes, looks pretty human. Doesn't furry just mean an actual human in an animal suit? I don't see the distinction if Dust is a furry to you and Sly Cooper isn't.

MVFzc.jpg

Looks like a "idealized animal version of an existing human".

This is a furry to me:

deCsZ.jpg

Witcher 2

My one and only issue with the art is that turquoise is an ugly-ass colour. And really doesn't work with everything else in the game looking so beautiful.

dust would of looked so much better in purple and gold or red and black.

but it's such a minor issue. This furry thing is just a internet term. Never heard it mentioned in the real world.

Having him be some dark and edgy color would have been even more "Deviantart" than making him blue, and this thread would be 20 pages of whining and posting Sonic fanart instead of 8

Can't you furry debaters take it outside already?

Game looks tons of fun and cool. Is the progression tied very heavily into excessive juggling in combat?

HyperDuck

Neo Member
Is all of the music that is used in the trailer made for this game?

Hey, Chris Geehan here, I composed the music and did all the sound for Dust. And I also did everything you hear in that trailer, except the awesome voice acting.

That music was made purely for the trailer, Dean and I thought it'd be really cool to do a hollywood-esque style trailer. I plan on releasing the music without voice/sfx on it at some point in the near future though, will throw a link in here when I do, or watch me on ye olde twitter @hyperduckchris

Glad so many people enjoyed the trailer, was seriously fun to write/design for.

Too many people in this thread playing it and I am not, same with my bloody friends list too.
It's making the wait for Monday/Wednesday harder.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
yay noogy.

so you werent allowed to reveal the release date for a long time because ms wanted to reveal it officially for summer of arcade?

Having him be some dark and edgy color would have been even more "Deviantart" than making him blue, and this thread would be 20 pages of whining and posting Sonic fanart instead of 8

Maybe. But looking at a blur of green snot at 60fps isnt my personal cup of tear either.

anyway like i said minor issue. the main thing is that the game sounds like its good.

Silvawuff

I've watched the trailer about ten times. It gives me chills every time.

Whoever is giving this game the nose up because of character/art design is doing themselves a huge disservice. There's a reason for everything.

Noogy, I wish you a successful release with this sure-to-be-amazing game. I've been following you for a long, long time and it's nice to finally see one of your fantastic projects bearing fruit. Very, very, large fruit.

Top Bottom