• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duterte orders troops to blast militants and their hostages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said he has ordered his troops to bomb extremists who flee with their captives in a bid to stop a wave of kidnappings at sea, calling the loss of civilian lives in such an attack "collateral damage."

Duterte has previously stated that he had told his Indonesian and Malaysian counterparts their forces can blast away as they pursue militants who abduct sailors in waters where the three countries converge and bring their kidnap victims to the southern Philippines. He said in a speech late Saturday that he had given the same orders to Filipino forces.

He said he instructed the navy and the coast guard that "if there are kidnappers and they're trying to escape, bomb them all."

"They say 'hostages.' Sorry, collateral damage," he said in a speech to business people in Davao, his southern hometown.

https://apnews.com/37103023e92a4f82...n=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

kasane

lmao this dude is a gift that keeps on giving. My girlfriends dad was singing this fuckwits name saying he supports the killings this fuck does

absolutely disgusting

Duterte and the political forces he heralds scare me more than anything else. He has shown the utter and wide scale dehumanisation of a group that is still possible in the modern world. One day its drug dealers, next it could be anyone.

The Hong Kong investigation interviewed 31 witnesses from Hong Kong and 10 from the Philippines.[10] The coroner's five-member jury had to answer "yes", "no", or "uncertain" to a list of 44 statements, a method that was unique to Hong Kong's history and procedures.[71] The narrative verdict found that all eight victims were "unlawfully killed" and blamed the Philippine authorities' incompetent handling of the crisis as a direct cause of their deaths, although it declined to attribute any criminal or civil liability.[10]

fasntnig

I wonder how he'd feel if he ended up a hostage and the irony of his insane lack of value in other humans lives finally caught up with him.

Hmm.

DonMigs85

I wonder how he'd feel if he ended up a hostage and the irony of his insane lack of value in other humans lives finally caught up with him.

Hmm.
The dude is a veritable Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Sometimes he sounds like a compassionate grandpa, but more often a sadistic warlord.

Honestly, sounds like the type of thing Trump would be open to doing if he believed he could get away with it. Can't help but see stuff like this and feel that this is precisely the same kind of attitude that Trump would adopt in certain cases.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
We could replace Filipinos with Americans and have the same conversation.

I mean, Trump hasn't started killing people willy nilly yet, but I don't think you're gonna find many people who aren't ashamed and apalled by Trump here. So I'm not sure what you're even trying to say here.

I mean, Trump hasn't started killing people willy nilly yet, but I don't think you're gonna find many people who aren't ashamed and apalled by Trump here. So I'm not sure what you're even trying to say here.

That America lost its ability to start moralizing about what's happening in the Philippines when they were too gunshy to actually confront their racist and bigoted relatives.

It's easy to point a finger a half a world away and wag it but stay silent at Thanksgiving and break bread with the same people that brought us Trump.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
How this lunatic has such a high approval rating I'll never understand

If you live in a country that anyone can murder you then get away from it by planting some drugs on your body; Most people would not have courage to say they disapprove of the popular leader.

Xe4

Banned
We could replace Filipinos with Americans and have the same conversation.

That America lost its ability to start moralizing about what's happening in the Philippines when they were too gunshy to actually confront their racist and bigoted relatives.

It's easy to point a finger a half a world away and wag it but stay silent at Thanksgiving and break bread with the same people that brought us Trump.

Trump is a horrible, despicable human being, and his supporters should be ashamed as well. However, he isn't in the same league of shittyness as Duterte. For one, Trump hasn't murdered anyone, and bragged about it for everyone to see. He also hasn't bragged about gang raping a woman (who actually did get brutally raped). Nor has he had thousands of civilians of his own country murdered without trial or due cause, violating the laws of the Philippines as well as international law.

Nor does Trump have anywhere near the support as Duterte. Dude has nearly 86% of the people liking him and his decisions, whilst Trump is the most unpopular candidate to enter office in modern history.

Nokterian

And yet it goes on and even Trump invited him to the white house...how many civilians died in the year of his war on drugs? Almost 6000 people right and rising? Terrible..just terrible.

kasane

and to people saying he aint doing shit until martial law, do you think this lunatic would think twice about declaring it? I assume when the people realize hes actually a psychopath he wont have any second thoughts doing it

omg_mjd

Nor does Trump have anywhere near the support as Duterte. Dude has nearly 86% of the people liking him and his decisions, whilst Trump is the most unpopular candidate to enter office in modern history.

The demographic makeup of the Philippines compared to the US has something to do with this. The proportion of people here that are poor and uneducated is lopsided compared to the US. Add to that the majority of middle class support and you get to 86% easily.

I should also add that Duterte did not get into office with the majority of the votes. The Philippines has a multiparty system and unfortunately the rest of the voters were split among the other candidates. Duterte just got (a lot) more votes than the next guy, but he didn't have more than 50% of the total votes.

Post-election though, most of the population have supported him as indicated by polls (and by teeth-gritting conversations I've had with relatives and acquaintances).

Pachimari

Crazy. I don't know what will have to happen to get this guy away from this position. Or if he will get to fulfill his whole term.

Trump is a horrible, despicable human being, and his supporters should be ashamed as well. However, he isn't in the same league of shittyness as Duterte. For one, Trump hasn't murdered anyone, and bragged about it for everyone to see. He also hasn't bragged about gang raping a woman (who actually did get brutally raped). Nor has he had thousands of civilians of his own country murdered without trial or due cause, violating the laws of the Philippines as well as international law.

No, Trump is just the physical embodiment of the white supremacy and privilege that has done all of those things and more to PoC, but tell me more about how America is different.

Coming from the Philippines 🇵🇭... im almost sure the people over there who voted Duterte would have voted Trump if they were American citizens. My motherland loves politicians who talk tough , "tells it the way it is", and those who strikes as somebody who would drain the fucking swamp.

I mean darn. A lot of people over there think Marcos is a hero. Most of them were millennials like me too.
It's amazing how indifferent people can be until something affects them personally.
My dad voted Hillary or at least what he told us. Among the family he's the one who doesn't hate Trump. And when he heard Trump wants to appoint that Rex tillerson as SoC he was like
ehh3.png
"Trump might not be so bad."

Guess which company my father works for? I cannot put into coli smiley my disappointment lol

Brinbe

Seeing so many brainwashed idiots support him is truly saddening and hits super close to home. Actually pretty proud that no one in my family (at least those in the US/Canada) supports that fucking lunatic.

Matty77

Somehow I am not suprised. Anyone who has studied this kind of leader knew the drug thing was only the beginning.

All I have to say because I don't want to get in circular arguments because "I don't understand the culture or situation" when GAF's Duerte defense force shows up and try's to drown out opinions on the drug killings, suppression of press and now this as somehow being okay because cultural relativism something something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom