• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duterte orders troops to blast militants and their hostages

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'll back track, he always back tracks. He says his shit out in the provinces and his home ground because that's where his support is and he has to look tough. Back in Manilla he'll play this shit down as a "joke".

. He also hasn't bragged about gang raping a woman (who actually did get brutally raped).

He's a sociopath, but you shouldn't blur the real horrible story with one that's worse and false.
He said he wished he could have raped the nun, he never admitted or bragged about actually doing it.
Both are despicable, but one's an actual crime and one is not.

kmfdmpig

Trump is a horrible, despicable human being, and his supporters should be ashamed as well. However, he isn't in the same league of shittyness as Duterte. For one, Trump hasn't murdered anyone, and bragged about it for everyone to see. He also hasn't bragged about gang raping a woman (who actually did get brutally raped). Nor has he had thousands of civilians of his own country murdered without trial or due cause, violating the laws of the Philippines as well as international law.

Nor does Trump have anywhere near the support as Duterte. Dude has nearly 86% of the people liking him and his decisions, whilst Trump is the most unpopular candidate to enter office in modern history.

Well said. Every Duterte thread there is someone that wants to paint Trump as just as bad or worse, but if you look at what they've actually done, not what they might do there's no real comparison.

Trump winning an election is a stain on the US, just as Duterte's win is a stain on the Phillipines, but on the evil scale it's like comparing a dumb, sexist, racist Scott Farkus with a dumb, sexist Jeffrey Dahmer. They're not really all that comparable.

Duterte said he has ordered his troops to bomb extremists who flee with their captives in a bid to stop a wave of kidnappings at sea, calling the loss of civilian lives in such an attack "collateral damage."

When you're a disturbed man with a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

kmfdmpig

So, he says publicly what most government officials say behind closed doors.

They're all crazy fuckers.

Most pirate hostage situations don't end with deliberate deaths of hostages by the governments, so I don't think that most say these things or if they do they don't typically act on them.

So, he says publicly what most government officials say behind closed doors.

They're all crazy fuckers.

You can't possible know what most government officials say behind closed doors, you're assuming a scenario to justify Duterte intentionally and publicly ordering the death of hostages.

Literally the "They're all the same!" justification.

Nepenthe

Miss me with the Trump whataboutism. I voted for Hillary and the Dems. I personally get the high ground to talk shit about another political maniac. So fuck Duterte, and his supporters too.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
That America lost its ability to start moralizing about what's happening in the Philippines when they were too gunshy to actually confront their racist and bigoted relatives.

It's easy to point a finger a half a world away and wag it but stay silent at Thanksgiving and break bread with the same people that brought us Trump.

This is dumb as fuck.

People are overwhelmingly supporting him because drugs and kidnappings had done even worse damage to their society. People want radical solutions, and they see that in Duterte.

We won't be able to understand unless we've been living there.

Caja 117

No, Trump is just the physical embodiment of the white supremacy and privilege that has done all of those things and more to PoC, but tell me more about how America is different.
Please state with links of articles with all the murders that Trump has comitted, Ill wait. Please do.

This false equivalence with Duterte and Trump is a joke, Trump represent a danger to me and people like me that are not white, (and I hate his ass,), But, fuck I will preffer Trump any day than Duterte, at least I know with Trump I will just be sent back to my country at worst, with Duterte I probrably get executed getting confused with some drug dealer.

People are overwhelmingly supporting him because drugs and kidnappings had done even worse damage to their society. People want radical solutions, and they see that in Duterte.

I lived in a country in a similiar situation, I do understand.

MUnited83

For you.

Nah, the situation is much, much worse now, and the drug situation isn't getting any better. Duterte is not a solution, he's a much bigger problem.

Kusagari

For as much as I hate Trump, Duterte's crazy ass in charge of a country as powerful as America could be amazingly horrifying.

We're lucky, well besides the people who actually have to deal with him as their leader, the Philippines as a whole isn't exactly super relevant on the global scale.

Expected "Whataboutism". Typical defense in every Duterte thread.

I'm a black man in America. It's humorous to me to see a bunch of white dudes from America criticize another country half a world away like they are any different or better is all.

Ain't no whataboutism. We're clearly 110% worse.

Don't get me wrong. Duterte is absolutely horrible. Like, holy shit I thought your country was super Christian how did this happen sorta deal. But him and Trump are cut from that same cloth of "there's problems and only I can fix it let me be your idol".

But Americans having something to say about it tickles me to no end, due to many minorities living in this country being continually stripped of civil rights and the majority turning a blind eye to it.

So it's the whole "worry about the log in your eye before worrying about the splinter in someone else's" sorta thing.

Caja 117

I'm a black man in America. It's humorous to me to see a bunch of white dudes from America criticize another country half a world away like they are any different or better is all.

Really? How do you know we are worst here? Im hispanic in this country, and believe me, when you say we are 110 % worst is ignoring whats going on in country like myne. Hint, I had it worst over there compared to this country even with Trump becoming president.

Nah, the situation is much, much worse now, and the drug situation isn't getting any better. Duterte is not a solution, he's a much bigger problem.

I have zero knowledge on how effective his solutions have been. But it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't working.

Since when has the War on Drugs ever been won by anything other than drugs.

Really? How do you know we are worst here? Im hispanic in this country, and believe me, when you say we are 110 % worst is ignoring whats going on in country like myne. Hint, I had it worst over there compared to this country even with Trump becoming president.

How many black and Hispanic people were routinely denied their civil rights in order to feed the prison industry in the US? Oh, they weren't killed, just had their entire lives taken from them. How many thousands of black and brown men and women you think were murdered before the advent of cameras in every pocket by the police that got off scot free?

Like, this ain't hard if you have even an inkling of the history, both past and present of this country.

kmfdmpig

How many black and Hispanic people were routinely denied their civil rights in order to feed the prison industry in the US? Oh, they weren't killed, just had their entire lives taken from them. How many thousands of black and brown men and women you think were murdered before the advent of cameras in every pocket by the police that got off scot free?

Like, this ain't hard if you have even an inkling of the history, both past and present of this country.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the US is flawless or moving in the right direction with Trump. That doesn't mean it's worse than Duterte's Philippines, however.

You mentioned police abuses, but in the Philippines their leader has given police (and normal citizens) carte blanche to just gun down anyone and then claim the victim was a drug dealer.

Also, the notion that only those who live in perfect countries can criticize leaders in other countries is a bit silly. Would you be OK with a thread that criticized North Korea or would that be hypocritical for Americans to comment on as well?

Caja 117

I know the history of this country, but you also need to know about the history of other countries so you can seriusly talk about them been better than US, not until you have lived a day to day life for years like I have done in both this country and a country like myne which have a seriuos Narc and corruption problem.

Is not just about the police, is about that in a country like myne you either graduate from college, or you are not getting a job to pay you to support a family, you talk about civil rights, at least here they ttake an effort to do so and try to held accountable those that do wrong, even if it fails there is the effort, in my country civil rights is pracctically non existent when it comes to protect the interest of politician and rich people.

They are family that never get water to their house, or live in a house that the floor is the dirt on the ground, they sent their kids to work to the street because they need to feed them, some of them get raped because no police give a shit about a dirty kid begin on the streets.

Im done with the conversation.

slit

That America lost its ability to start moralizing about what's happening in the Philippines when they were too gunshy to actually confront their racist and bigoted relatives.

It's easy to point a finger a half a world away and wag it but stay silent at Thanksgiving and break bread with the same people that brought us Trump.

Except this is simply a deflection since not everybody here is American and even the ones who are do not necessarily condone anything Trump stands for. Also you're right, it's easy to point fingers when something like this is going on. It's pretty cut and dry. When Trump starts slaughtering people wholesale we can point fingers at him too.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the US is flawless or moving in the right direction with Trump. That doesn't mean it's worse than Duterte's Philippines, however.

You mentioned police abuses, but in the Philippines their leader has given police (and normal citizens) carte blanche to just gun down anyone and then claim the victim was a drug dealer.

Also, the notion that only those who live in perfect countries can criticize leaders in other countries is a bit silly. Would you be OK with a thread that criticized North Korea or would that be hypocritical for Americans to comment on as well?

It would be if we elected our own Dear Leader that had the same mentality and started doing the same shit Kim Jong Un and Il are doing, yeah.

Trump praises Duerte and they are cut from the same cloth and have a LOT of parallels.

Also for those who keep saying "when has Trump called for the killing of innocent people" must have forgotten that he's called for the Central Park Five to be imprisoned and killed for crimes they have long been exonerated for.

nded

So where is he going to hide once he's out of power

The rotting corpse of Ferdinand Marcos managed to scrounge up enough support to be interred in the "Heroes' Cemetery", which leads me to assume that a fair portion of the Philippines' population either aren't paying attention or are too fucking credulous for their own good.

kmfdmpig

It would be if we elected our own Dear Leader that had the same mentality and started doing the same shit Kim Jong Un and Il are doing, yeah.

Trump praises Duerte and they are cut from the same cloth and have a LOT of parallels.

Also for those who keep saying "when has Trump called for the killing of innocent people" must have forgotten that he's called for the Central Park Five to be imprisoned and killed for crimes they have long been exonerated for.

Trump is bad. Duterte is worse, and frankly I don't think it's all that close.
I don't see anyone in this thread who voted for Trump, so why should posters avoid criticizing Duterte because three states narrowly chose Trump over Hillary?
Not to mention the fact that many people on GAF are not American anyway.

The death toll in the Philippines was over 5,000 in less than 6 months.
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/in...h-toll-duterte-war-drugs-160825115400719.html
http://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...h-toll-rises-and-so-do-concerns-about-tactics

Trumps comments, while deplorable, were not instructing law enforcement to go out and gun down the Central Park Five and have led to 0 deaths.

slit

To all: Unless you live in utopia, do not criticize countries halfway across the world (what geographic distances have to do with anything the fuck if I know). This dude gets upset because apparently the criticism means you don't care about what happens in your home country.

Ponn

Banned

Don't get me wrong. Duterte is absolutely horrible. Like, holy shit I thought your country was super Christian how did this happen sorta deal. But him and Trump are cut from that same cloth of "there's problems and only I can fix it let me be your idol".

But Americans having something to say about it tickles me to no end, due to many minorities living in this country being continually stripped of civil rights and the majority turning a blind eye to it.

So it's the whole "worry about the log in your eye before worrying about the splinter in someone else's" sorta thing.

This is GAF, how many of those criticizing Duterte actually voted for Trump? You're acting like people here aren't ashamed of Trump or that people aren't trying to fight against him with what power they have. Are you not paying attention to the outrage right now? Where is the similar outrage over there with Duterte? Does this mean even though the majority of Americans did vote Hillary and are actively doing what we can against Trump we can't be outraged over human rights violations in other countries?

Maybe its a tactic to make terrorists think twice about ransoming people.

What this accomplishes is that the families of victims avoid telling authorities. On paper, this would lower the rate of kidnapping reports..

Yarp. The problem is quite simple: assuming this goes through, if you report a kidnapping to the authorities, you've pretty much killed the victims. Thus, there is kind of a huge incentive not to report. Thus one is strengthening the position of the kidnappers, who will be fully aware that the relatives of their victims will not want to get the authorities involved.

The only recourse if you want the victims alive is to give the kidnappers what they want. Sure, they may kill them even after you pay the ransom, but the authorities will kill everybody in the vicinity cuz lolcollateral.

Pachimari

The rotting corpse of Ferdinand Marcos managed to scrounge up enough support to be interred in the "Heroes' Cemetery", which leads me to assume that a fair portion of the Philippines' population either aren't paying attention or are too fucking credulous for their own good.
The whole North is Marcos' region and his support is undying. While the rest are against his insertion in the Heroes cemetery. There was a whole lot of demonstrations, but Duterte is in the pockets of the Marcoses. Even the vice president were demonstrating against Marcos' insertion.

The country is basically split up between Aquino and Marcos.

Also he will hide in Hawaii lol.

Matty77

Here's a novel thought, I can criticize Duerte and think he and what he is doing is disgusting, at the same time I can criticize Trump and think he and what he is doing is also disgusting with the added embarrassment it happened in my country and shame and tears that so many other americans voted for him.

And no I didn't "stay silent for thanksgiving" since me and my immediate family have cut out of our lives everyone who voted for trump including relatives and for the first time in my 39 years stayed completely disconnected from all family holidays not just thanksgiving but the annual Christmas and New Years reunions also.

My least favorite part of the "whataboutisms" is the silly idea that people like me are unable to concern ourselves with more than one thing, compounded by the fact that general ethics and beliefs generally leading to those who are for instance anti-Duerte are most likely to also be anti-Trump and anti-Putin or or any other world leader cut from that cloth, but hey keep arguing in favor of a leader that advocates murder as legitimate problem solving if that's what makes you tick, lets me know just how seriously I should take anyone who does.

It 110% is whataboutism. That is literally your argument.
Who exactly are you trying to preach to here? As if it's only white Americans criticizing him. As if white Americans have no right to criticize him. As if all white Americans are Trump supporters or turn a blind eye away from things. Please tell Filipinos to stop criticizing Duterte because you think America is worse.

GeekyDad

You can't possible know what most government officials say behind closed doors, you're assuming a scenario to justify Duterte intentionally and publicly ordering the death of hostages.

Literally the "They're all the same!" justification.

Actually, Americans can. It takes some time, but eventually -- after many years, of course -- recordings/documents/etc. are declassified. Unless you categorically deny history, not only have governments routinely accepted "collateral damage," they've toppled democratically elected governments, murdered civilians...etc. We all know the facts. And not just in long-ago history; in our generation. Semantics doesn't change a fucking thing.

Kieli

This post is devoid of all logic.

I suggest you read up and familiarize yourself with Whataboutisms

EYEL1NER

So now the man has given permission to nearby countries to kill Filipinos? You would think that maybe THIS would be the moment that people there would take a step back and say "What the fuck?" I mean, Filipinos are pretty proud of their country and seem to be okay with their own country murdering its own citizens, but I would think they would have a problem with Duterte saying "Indonesia, Malaysia: If you come across any boats suspected of piracy or insurgency and you believe it to contain Filipino hostages, feel free to kill them all; we don't give a fuck."
But after all that the man has gotten away with so far, I shouldn't really be surprised that this would happen.

TissueBox

5165573.jpg

Oh Duterte...

Nepenthe

Surprise. I'm a black woman living in Trump's America, and going by exit polls we showed out for Hillary better than black men did.

So as I said before, I have the high ground: Fuck Trump whataboutism, and fuck Duterte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom