• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DWARF FORTRESS - For real this time. - This topic is for you (yes YOU)

Woo-Fu

Banned
On the subject of excavating, you're doing it wrong. :D

Some pointers:

The most efficient excavation pattern that will reveal everything involves diagonal patterns that are a pain in the ass to do by hand. You can use macro programs though to do it for you, I've read.

Short of that, you can do parallel drifts with two rows of stone between them. That is the next best method to reveal all ore while doing as little mining as possible.

If you're just searching for hidden features, the best way is to sink a shaft in the middle of each map square. You'll always hit magma pools and underground pools with that method. Underground rivers and HFS might require more than one shaft.

ALWAYS dig down, not up. If you're digging down you don't risk flooding---as long as you don't hit water you pressurized yourself. You want pain, dig upwards and hit a magma pool or an underground river. Digging up is fine if you've already surveyed the layer and know what it is there.

One other thing to think about is efficient pathing and keeping your dwarfs working where you want them to:

Never dig on multiple layers at once. The pathing in DF is such that a miner will go 20 paces right, down a stair, and 20 paces left to get to the designated stone directly beneath him instead of stone that is 5 paces away. If you dig multiple levels at once your dwarves will make a lot of stupid trips like that instead of just mining what is really the closest designated stone.

Sink a central shaft and put doors leading out of it at each level. When you're not working a particular level or you've mined it out, lock the doors and wall it up---I put the doors there first, lock them, and then build the wall on the shaft side, that way I don't have to worry about some dumb dwarf walling himself on the wrong side. This will help a lot with pathfinding overhead. Also, just like miners, mechanics/stonecrafters/furnace operators/masons will go up or down a z-level to get stone/ore instead of stone much closer. Closing off the other levels prevents them from doing stuff like this.

If you use exploratory shafts, just get rid of them when you start really mining. Oh, and if you have an aquifer, dig those shafts one layer at a time. A good miner might dig himself right under the aquifer only to have it come in over his head and trap him.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I think he's doing just fine for being a noob. We're not dead yet, at least :D

BTW mash re: the dead dwarves - dwarves get huges amounts of bad thoughts for seeing dwarf corpses. So build some coffins ASAP. If you're feeling generous, when you place a coffin in a room you can then designate that room as a tomb. Or else at least define a "graveyard" stockpile.

Leam

GDJustin said:

I'll be taking care of that, dont worry.

Woo-fu, my english isnt so good and i'm a bit drunk atm, what do you mean by parallel drifts with two rows of stone between em? The word drift confuses me, and google isnt helping.

Leam said:
I'll be taking care of that, dont worry.

Woo-fu, my english isnt so good and i'm a bit drunk atm, what do you mean by parallel drifts with two rows of stone between em? The word drift confuses me, and google isnt helping.

Just like this:

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

D = dig
W = Wall.

It is pretty good at revealing goodies, but I kind of loathe it unless I know for sure I'm never ever going to use that Z-level for any of my fortress.

Leam

platypotamus said:
Just like this:

D = dig
W = Wall.

It is pretty good at revealing goodies, but I kind of loathe it unless I know for sure I'm never ever going to use that Z-level for any of my fortress.

Oh ok thanks, simple enough.

GDJustin

It's also worth noting that this strip-mining method is only suggested for revealing ore & gems (since it allows you to see everything, with the minimum amount of digging).

To find something like a hidden magma pipe (which is what mash was digging for), you just need to dig a big straight line every ~15 squares or so. Since Magma pipes are so wide.

There's technically much more efficient ways at finding magma (digging many vertical shafts, as Woo mentioned), but I'm not a fan of that method because then you have shafts all over. If you mine out wide lines on the bottom Z-level until you the magma pipe, you can then make use of those lines. I generally keep my dwarf tombs down there.

Woo-Fu

Banned
GDJustin said:
There's technically much more efficient ways at finding magma (digging many vertical shafts, as Woo mentioned), but I'm not a fan of that method because then you have shafts all over.

Remove stairs, stick a floor tile on it, voila, no more shaft. :p

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Good luck guys on the succession game; the SA one is still an awesome tale and I'm sure this one will be great too. My cousin and my younger brother are big DF players but I never got around to joining in their crusades, yet I always enjoyed the many stories they would tell over some drunken nights a year or so ago. The game always seemed so alive.

I might install it and go through some tutorials sometime next week.

mash440

Neo Member
GDJustin said:

BTW mash re: the dead dwarves - dwarves get huges amounts of bad thoughts for seeing dwarf corpses. So build some coffins ASAP. If you're feeling generous, when you place a coffin in a room you can then designate that room as a tomb. Or else at least define a "graveyard" stockpile.

I have designated a graveyard outside, i was wondering though... can I use their bones for crafting?

mash440 said:
I have designated a graveyard outside, i was wondering though... can I use their bones for crafting?

Whoa whoa whoa, what kind of fortress am I going to be taking over here? Are you going to have your butcher chop them up for meat too?

GDJustin

mash440 said:

Indeed, you can craft with the bones of your fellow dead dwarves. A particularly macabre option would be to make bone armor from their bones, so your soldiers are literally wearing their dead comrades :D

Beware though that bones left aboveground will disappear over time. If you want to keep them you'll need to keep them inside. Or use them right away.

You could also decorate other objects (furniture, goblets...) with the bone.

Edit: I also might suggest carving the dwarf skulls into totems and leaving them outside the entrance. Might make new immigrants think twice about settling in Fightanus :D

mash440

Neo Member
Winter was uneventful however, new life was renewed into the earth with the result of some copulation!

21crvio.png

We changed the barracks into a nursery by putting violent images on the wall whilst my new legion sparred vigorously.

23h6gdd.png

I then decorated the main hall. It wasn't quite dwarfy enough!

hx0s93.png

And also smoothed all the bedrooms and added engravings. I like engravings. If I was a dwarf I would do engravings all day.

2latvye.png

25884nn.png

But for now I am done, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see!
  • Magma has been found, it needs to be utilised to make weapons for our 12 strong legion!
  • Still need more traps!
  • I used up all the plump helmet seeds. Not sure how that happened.
  • And the bottom floor has been explored significantly. Quite a bit of platinum available down there!

Off to Sirpenguin now! Make me feel embarrassed!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
mash440 said:
But for now I am done, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see!
  • Magma has been found, it needs to be utilised to make weapons for our 12 strong legion!
  • Still need more traps!
  • I used up all the plump helmet seeds. Not sure how that happened.
  • And the bottom floor has been explored significantly. Quite a bit of platinum available down there!

Platinum is a vanity ore. A true dwarf's heart stirs only at the sight of iron.

And a 12-strong military at year 2, eh? Fightanus is well on its way to living up to the first half of its name.

GDJustin

Nice work mash! You didn't burn the place down. Losing all the plump helmet seeds might be almost as bad as burning it down, though. If we're out of alcohol, SirPenguin is in for a fun turn. :D

One request - can you fire up your save and take a quick screenshot of the "Z" (fort status) screen? I meant to at the end of my turn and forgot. I guess I still could, since I still have my save...

Edit 2: Another request for you or sirpenguin - actually take a look at some of the engravings and take a snapshots of some of their descriptions. I have a hunch that some of te dwarf ones are probably pretty violent :D

bengraven

Okay, I may MAY have my wife taking my son out of town this weekend. Then DF is ON.

Any recommendations on starting? I would prefer a great mod tileset. I didn't like playing with ASCII art even back in the 80's, let alone now. haha Something a little more Commodore 64 or better. haha

Just got the save. Here's a status screen

2czes15.png

Now to comb through this place and work up something interesting...

Ok, what in the fuck, I just noticed our Fort's name...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
bengraven said:
Okay, I may MAY have my wife taking my son out of town this weekend. Then DF is ON.

Any recommendations on starting? I would prefer a great mod tileset. I didn't like playing with ASCII art even back in the 80's, let alone now. haha Something a little more Commodore 64 or better. haha
Worry not C64 warrior, head here for the game & best tileset mod in the first paragraph of "Set Up"

http://afteractionreporter.com/2009...newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/

I've just downloaded the game and spent half an hour setting it up and trying to choose a suitable location (no I haven't got much of a clue what I'm looking for) I have made sure to find a map with a river and some trees so I hope this will be good enough:

DwarfFortressChoosingMap.jpg

I fully expect to be reporting back within the hour with news of my dwarves destruction so you don't need to wish me look because I doubt it will make much difference.

Dwarven justice comes about in one of two ways. Usually. I reckon most people know of the first way...an old fashioned hammerin' by an old fashioned Hammerer. He ain't a good guy, make no mistake, but we're Dwarves. We take a beating like a boulder and keep on workin'. But the second way to dispense "justice"? Tossing you in a jail cell to rot. That's what really makes your blood boil. Me? I can handle a beating. I can't handle being forgotten.

No sir, no sir.

So I bailed. Snapped the guard's neck and just ran from the caravan in the dead of night. I didn't mean to, alright? Ain't my fault, don't blame me, ok? It just ain't. His fault for not letting me go, you dig?

I fled into the wilderness, wandering aimlessly until I spied a small opening into the mountain far off in the distance. A fortress, if I wasn't mistaken. The mountains looked to be those of the Beak of Greed, a series of reportedly haunted mountains near the far more frighteningly named "Fields of Eviscerating", where I currently stood. I weighed my luck...greed or evisceration? Some choice.

It occurred to me that a cousin of mine - more like a half cousin on my pa's side, but no matter - had recently immigrated to some fortress on this mountain range. Certainly he had to be a resident of this little hole-in-the-ground, right? Perhaps he could give me some sanctuary, hah hah, Armok knows I need it!

Upon reaching a small semi-walled off section I met with a dwarf, probably a guard or something, standing in front of the entrance. I remembered my cousin used to be an engraver, and, gods, what was his name? Geshud? Yeah, Geshud Eseshlogem, that's what it was. I made my way to the guard to ask if he knew of the dwarf.

"ARE YOU HERE ABOUT THE SHELLS?" he yelled at me from across the way

"Wha...what? The hell are you talking about?"

"THE SHELLS! PLEASE, ARMOK, THE SHELLS! THIS WAY THIS WAY!"

Before I even know what the fuck was going on he grabbed me by my arm and dragged me under the earth, the halls blurring past me as we delved deeper and deeper.

We ended up in front of a workshop of sorts. In front of me stood a tattered old dwarf wearing an apron covered in food stains. He sat in the dirt like a child and kept tracing pictures in the sand in front of him. The poor guy looked like he was going to snap at any moment...that, or choke on his own spit. Did he even know I was there? Did he even know he was there? It then occurred to me what exactly he was drawing in the sand.

2mc8rhd.jpg

Soon enough a crowd of dwarves surrounded me in a circle. The dwarf who dragged me down here nodded eagerly.

"So...yes...the shell, right? You have the shell?"

Hoo boy.

[Yeah, so my updates won't be nearly as text heavy as this. I just like a good introduction]

mash440

Neo Member
Reminds me of a dwarf I used work with. It's hard to say what she did, she sells sea shells on the sea shore.

Seriously though, that crazy nutter demanded a workshop just before spring passed! I was busy making dead dwarf crafts before he went absolutely bonkers and possessed the workshop.

30 "Other Animals"? Are we suffering from the early stages of a catsplosion?

191 Seeds is good, even if out of Plump Helmets there's got to be something that could be brewed in there.

Love seeing no peasants on the one hand, on the other, I usually like to have about a 5-10% set of dudes with no jobs just to haul stuff for me.

Also, awesome intro SirPenguin.

Tough break on the Shells there, looks like another failed artifact probably.

GDJustin

We should have had shell. I specifically embarked with some turtles and cave lobster for exactly this possibility. It's possible when Mash was making crafts out of dwarf bones (.......) the shells ended up being used too.

Edit: Also might be worth turning fishing on for a bunch of dudes in the hopes they catch one pretty quickly.

GDJustin

You know, I don't think I've mentioned it in this topic, but I actually own DwarfFortress.com. :lol

I registered it some time ago thinking I would use Drupal to set up some kind of flexible community were people could share mods, stories, files, etc. But that didn't end up working and it's been sitting dormant ever since.

I suppose I could just set up a simple blog and run DF news, maybe?

It took a bit of talkin' to straighten some things out. For one, my cousin? Yeah, dead. Went crazy and killed two fellow dwarves. Guess he really was family, eh?

I also cleared up that I wasn't the trader they were looking for...and no, I didn't have any shells for this poor cook. Apparently he was possessed by some...thing. Demon? God? Who knows. He keeps tracing pictures of rocks and shells. We have plenty of the former and none of the latter, so I ordered some men to fish and some others to clean fish. Hope we catch a turtle.

Oh, right, and that third thing we straightened out? Turns out these chuckleheads will believe anything you tell them. I convinced them I was the new leader of this place, and I hailed from the mountain homes themselves, sent here to lead them to prosperity. They believed me...they must have been desperate for a leader.

I promoted Ast Dalzatrith to sheriff, as we had none before. He had a bruised neck and WAS a soldier. The injury meant he would never spar again, so I figure this fate is better than sitting in a bed all day. And after all, just look how qualified he is...

4kyxld.png

Right. Moving on.

I've been increasing the efficiency of these sunlovers where I can. We now have a refuse pile outside (they seem to love miasma, as our current one is inside), storage rooms being dug out, and masons are finally allowed to stop making so many god damned blocks.

2w6b8ft.png

408? Yeah, that's enough.

I got a plan for all of those suckers, though. Me? I think big. I'm also thinking that one of these days...they'll be back for me. You know...the law? I best make sure I'm snug as a bug in a rug before that day comes.

235hc7.png

Yeah, it's a castle. I said I think big, didn't I?

These dwarves, though? Something ain't right.

xgfqtc.png

A cow cage party? Really? We own a cow in a cage? And...we want to party around it? God damn bunch of lunatics, swear to god, every one of these bastards is insa...

2iw7ou9.png

uh...I mean...keep on partying, guys! Yeah! Meet you down at the COW CAGE FOR SOME FUN TIMES!

Everyone...uh...everyone stay out of the craft workshop, alright?

Woo-Fu

Banned
oh no, not a sheriff. Say goodbye to all your craftsman as your nobles request items you don't have the materials to make and your sheriff beats them to death.

S'all good, makes for more interesting stories that way

good LORD we almost doubled our population. We now sit at 72 Dwarves, 37 animals.

Phew!

Little_Luke

Neo Member
I've been perusing this thread for a couple days absorbing all that is DF and took the jump into the bottomless pit just this afternoon and I'm absolutely hooked. It's addiction on the level of sim city but much cooler for what it is :) I'm very happy to have been exposed to such an amazing sandbox of creativity.

I have a question though; I built my first fortress just to mess with and learn the basics and got it up and going with two levels and all the basics but what the F**k do you do with talc? I looked through the wiki reaching no true answer and the google machine failed me as well. Needless to say . . any tips?

mash440

Neo Member
SirPenguin said:
A cow cage party? Really? We own a cow in a cage? And...we want to party around it? God damn bunch of lunatics, swear to god, every one of these bastards is insa...

:lol

There is also quite a surplus of socks! 139 pairs at last counting!

GDJustin

Little_Luke said:
I've been perusing this thread for a couple days absorbing all that is DF and took the jump into the bottomless pit just this afternoon and I'm absolutely hooked. It's addiction on the level of sim city but much cooler for what it is :) I'm very happy to have been exposed to such an amazing sandbox of creativity.

I have a question though; I built my first fortress just to mess with and learn the basics and got it up and going with two levels and all the basics but what the F**k do you do with talc? I looked through the wiki reaching no true answer and the google machine failed me as well. Needless to say . . any tips?

Glad to see another convert :D

Talc is just a stone like any other you mine out:

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Talc#Other_Stone

Little_Luke said:

Talc is just a normal stone type, you can use it for whatever you chose (cheap crafts or construction are good uses for it). One thing of note about it though, is that it only shows up around Dolomite. Dolomite is important, as you can use in the production of Steel as Flux material, so if you see Talc, there's Dolomite nearby and you might want to keep that indicator in mind when you're prepared to start producing Steel.

For those of you just getting into the game like Luke here, here's a useful rule of thumb, you need a minimum of 8 meals and 16 alcohol per Dwarf per Year to avoid starvation and work delays due to thirst. Each Dwarf will consume two meals and four drinks per season on average. Thus, if you had 100 Dwarves in your fort, you'd want a stockpile of at least 800 meals and and 1600 alcoholic drinks. Ideally you'd want some extra in order to cover immigrants as they appear and in case of Goblin siege, especially if you have to deal with the outside world to any major degree (wood or plant gathering, outside farming or fishing, etc.)

Late spring arrives and I find myself with more headaches

2evtaxi.png

72 beards! Can you believe that garbage? This gig wasn't so bad when everyone already had a job and I just had to order them around. A guy could get used to that sort of job, you know? But these guys? They know shitall about anything; I gotta hold their hands through the most basic of tasks. No Mr. Cheesemaker, we don't have any milk or cheese here, so your new job is in masonry. What cow? The one in the cage by the dining hall? Oh, you're talking about the Party Cow! No time for milking when you're too busy partying!

vqqfxy.png

In what I can only assume is a poetic (and stupid) statement, our cook has decided to starve himself to death while laying in the food pantry. He's not quite dead yet, but he's trying his hardest. Too bad for him that he chose a spot so close to the Party Cow. Most of the beards would rather party around a bovine then watch a insane man starve himself to death on a pile of mushrooms

As you can see in that shot we ain't got much in the dining hall department, least not with so many migrants. I've ordered a bigger, more grand hall to be build right across from the old one.

b7l8bo.png

What? You tryin' to say that shit ain't grand? You must be god damn blind, that shit is luxury in a mountain.

But as much as I like those parts of my job, I just can't believe the amount minutiae that goes into this leader shit. These beards seriously cannot make their own decisions about damn near anything. Like, look at this cockery:

el1jr9.png

You trying to tell me she waited until the last possible moment to pop out that turkey? When I asked her what in Armok's name she was fucking thinking, she had the audacity to say, "Boss, you never told me to stop working!" She was 3 stories above ground helping build my castle when that newborn slid out from between her legs. All because no one told her to stop working when her gut was full of baby and booze.

Christ!

Yaweee

So, I'm getting the hang of it. I chopped down all the nearby trees on the surface, gathered some bushes, dug straight down as far as I could go in a 2x2 set of up/down stairs, devoted one layer to workshops/storage, another floor to make bedrooms, and then more to branch out to try to find better ore. Then I surrounded my surface access with walls and doors.

But then, I kind of lost direction.

-What do I need to do to attract migrants? I can't get very far with 7 dwarves.
-What should be my priority for workshops after I make some beds and doors? There are so many options, but I can't decide what to focus on next.
-How do I tame and train all of the pet animals I have?

And more importantly, how do I fight back? A goblin was stalking my Fisherdwarf, constantly lingering a few squares away from him every single day. I don't think he did any harm (don't know how I would even tell that)

This game is complicated, and beyond what I've done so far, there doesn't appear to be any clear progression of what to do next.

And why do people build ornate structures for their storehouses? Is there a problem with carving out huge areas of earth, like cave-ins?

Bembul, more like Bimbo, am I right?

And I'm so getting a Party Cow for Deepdirt the first chance I get. :lol Great updates SirPenguin, I haven't laughed this hard in awhile.

Increase the value of your fort, the more valuable your fort, the more people will want to go live there. And then you'll have to deal with nobles. ;)

-What should be my priority for workshops after I make some beds and doors? There are so many options, but I can't decide what to focus on next.

Defensive measures, especially if you've got Goblins and other unfriendly critters wandering your locale (check out what's about with the -U-nit command.

-How do I build multi-floor structures on the surface?

Vary carefully. Your Dwarves can, and are stupid enough to, to wall themselves in with no possible access way to get back down. From the top menu go -b-uild, then -C-onstruction, and you'll be given a list of options like walls, floors, various stairs, and fortification (arrow-slitted walls). You'll need at least one Dwarf with Masonry to do the building and each tile takes at least one stone or block to be made out of. You can only build in areas you have access to, so in order to build a two story tower over your two stairs into the ground (I'm assuming you put them right next to each other and started with a set of up/down stairs for this), start by building a set of down stairs on the z-level above the ground on top of your entryway stairs, which you should be able to see (you could instead use an Up/down stair if you want to add more stories to the tower) and -C-onstruct walls surrounding your entryway (leaving space to -b-uild a door, grate, or add a drawbridge)(you can expand the number of tiles covered by objects in the -C-onstruction menu with the u,m,h,k keys). Once those are completed, you'll be able to get Dwarves to build in the air around the stairs. Start by laying out -f-loor tiles , making sure not to put any on the tops of the walls you built below (you'll be able to see them). Build walls or fortifications on top of the walls you built below.

Are they tamable? Check the Wiki to be sure. Of the Horses, Mules, Dogs, Cats, etc. that you can bring with you, only dogs are trainable, which can be done at a -k-ennel by a Dwarf with the animal trainer skill active. You can assign war dogs or hunting dogs to Dwarves through via his dogs menu (v, select dwarf, p, e) to help him in combat. It will follow the dwarf like a pet. Other animals can be made accessible for pets through the z menu, except cats. Cats choose their own owners.

Note that you can change a dwarf's skills through v, select dwarf, p, l. That's useful in the early going if you need a certain skill to be used and have a Dwarf who's not being heavily used.

Norfair

Yaweee said:

Essentially, just build wealth. The richer you are the more people will come. Smoothing and engraving stone helps with this. Also migrants usually don't come the first year or so.

Yaweee said:

Food and booze production should be very high on your list. I like to set up a craftdwarfs workshop or two and turn out bone bolts for my aspiring archers to practice with and stone crafts when they exhaust the bone pile. Food and booze production should be very high on your list. Otherwise just pick an industry and try your hand at it.

Yaweee said:

You have to build a kennel for this.

Yaweee said:
And more importantly, how do I fight back? A goblin was stalking my Fisherdwarf, constantly lingering a few squares away from him every single day. I don't think he did any harm (don't know how I would even tell that)

Usually if I encounter a single goblin or thief I will enlist the closest dwarf into the military. If they're fast enough they'll catch and kill the goblin (Goblin bone bolts for more practice! Hurray) To check for wounds, hit v and hover over the dwarf. I believe you then hit w for wounds. It will show a list of body parts and the color of the text will tell you how health that part is. White is perfectly fine while red is a serious injury. It will also display a status on that page, like unconsious.

Yaweee said:
This game is complicated, and beyond what I've done so far, there doesn't appear to be any clear progression of what to do next.

The game is very much a sim with no clearly defined goals. You pretty much just have to make your own goals. Like say, build the Orthanac

Yaweee said:
And why do people build ornate structures for their storehouses? Is there a problem with carving out huge areas of earth, like cave-ins?

No, but like I said you have to make your own fun. I don't think this version you have to worry about cave ins

Yaweee

Thank you guys so much for the help and explanations. I read through the Complete Newby Tutorial, but that lacked a lot of details or mechanic explanations. That it was designed for a particular map set doesn't help.

Now, another question:

How much does noise matter? Is the restriction basically "put bedrooms far away from workshops"?

Twig

Banned
Thanks to this thread, I gave DF another chance (like the fourth chance) and this time it all clicked! Woohoo!

How the hell do you play with ASCII, Penguin? I could see myself doing it maybe if it was the only option, but... Man.

Anyway, question: is there a way to rebuild cave walls? Like say I found a small turquoise vein and decided to dig it out but now one of my bedrooms has a hole that connects to the food storage. Oops. Do I just make a stone block and put it there?

Also when I designate dining rooms and put multiple tables in that room, do I have to make each table its own dining room, so they all overlap? (i.e. so multiple dwarves can use a table at once, instead of taking turns?)

Most of the stuff I'm jsut figuring out on my own, but this is something I haven't managed to figure out. (It took me three days to make the dining room in the first place - I couldn't find it in the menu!)

I've never been a dwarf who has enjoyed a vacation. I need to get my hands dirty, I need some sweat on my brow! Lazing about "enjoying the good life" was never my goal in this world, no sir. Makes my stomach turn over in a knot just to think about it. Yet this summer...it feels different, you know? I don't know, maybe it's the because I survived an entire season as a free man. Maybe there really IS something in the air. Either way, I decided to take a week off from work and take a little break from running this joint. Of course I couldn't very well leave the fort for fear of getting caught by the authorities. I ended up just wandering around our fortress proper, taking in the sights and the smells.

16m7qxw.png

Ah yes, the sights and smells. Here we see our friend the Insane McCook as he lays in his final resting spot...next to a dead goat. Died of thirst, he did. Good riddance, I say.

I realized then that enjoying the summer outside was not a very dwarvenly thing to do. I dove back into Fightanus and browsed some of our finer pieces of art and engravings. Most were traditional pictures of mountains or clouds. A few were of our guild's symbol, a shining sun. This one, however, stuck with me:

2mg2yx3.png

There was a war in this very mountain range between the Dwarves and the Goblins? I asked our historian if he had any books on the subject and I dove into the material for the remainder of my vacation. Come to found out, the Fierce Assaults that engraving depicted was the name of one skirmish in a much larger war. And the countries waging said war?

ev2uya.png

Fightanus was founded by the Mortal Daggers of Blood, a guild that belonged to the Roughness of Doctrines, the very same civilization involved in this war with the Hideous Disloyalty, a goblin civilization. I'm not from around this part of the world so this was all news to me. I looked back through the old logs and found something rather worrying

if5oj7.png

...we were still at war, one of many. Those bastard Goblins broke the treaty not even a year after it was first signed. The latest battle occurred just a couple of years ago. Our fort is too new to attract much attention...but it won't always be that way. When the goblins find out who we are...what then? Will they send their armies to Fightanus as well? Perhaps. But we've lasted nearly 50 years so far...under whose leadership, I wonder?

k148s0.png

It seemed all the wars and battles had been won off the blade of a female soldier by the name of Domas Sprayblockade the Fight of Time. Quite the mouthful, that one. Domas had been in countless battles and had two hundred and fifty nine kills to her name, almost all of them goblins. She lead every assault and defense in the wars against the vile goblins.

1tpmoz.png

I looked over her records and found out she had been a prisoner for some time as a youth, kidnapped by a group called the Demon of Spattering. I shouldn't have been very surprised by this next part, but the Demon of Spattering was a group founded by the Hideous Disloyalty, the very same goblins we're at war with. That wasn't all, though. After looking up her parents and her husband...

50n05z.png

All had been brutally murdered by goblins. Her husband was also a fighter and took some of them down with him, but her parents? Mere civilians! Struck down while fleeing for their lives

So Domas appears to be motivated by vengeance. I can empathize with that plight.

I asked around the fort if anyone had heard of this Domas. The first guy I asked laughed until his face turned red and told me to look at the guild charter. I asked him what the hell he was talking about and why he was laughing.

"You'll know it when you see it." he said inbetween laughter

6pvk12.png

She's our queen?

Turns out our royalty do more than just sit around making orders. They also murder entire goblin civilizations out of revenge. That's enough to inspire a man, let me tell you.

My vacation turned out to be a success. In a few short days I began to mobilize our military and outfit the castle with catapults and fortifications. The goblins would be coming, oh yes, that was for sure. We might not have a Domas to lead us, but we sure as hell have some fight in us yet, oh yes. The Roughness of Doctrines would stand firm.

No matter the battle!

[Sorry if this was boring, but I seriously discovered all of this exactly like I "role played" just now. I found that bit of art and loaded up the save in Legends mode to check out. Little did I know I'd stumble upon this incredibly badass lady dwarf with a backstory worthy of a fantasy novel. I literally added nothing to this, all of it was generated by the game itself

I love this game!]

Woo-Fu

Banned
Only 250 drink and 250 prepared food for 72 dwarfs? Probably won't be any dwarfs left by the time my turn rolls around. :) Should be around 5k of each stockpiled at this point.

Man, are you joking, or do you seriously attempt to Min/Max fucking Dwarf Fortress of all games? 5k of each would be absurd. Even if we hit 0 of everything it'd take only a couple of (in game) weeks to fill it right back up

GDJustin

Woo-Fu said:
Only 250 drink and 250 prepared food for 72 dwarfs? Probably won't be any dwarfs left by the time my turn rolls around. :) Should be around 5k of each stockpiled at this point.

Woo-Foo you're such a party pooper sometimes :p

It would take 5 min to set up a 2nd still and kitchen and assign two dwarfs to exclusively cook & brew. :p

Little_Luke

Neo Member
Have a question, I made a dinning hall and put doors up to define it.. however now i have a musk ox in my dinning hall, not the most admired of dinning guests. I see now how to make the doors non-passable to pets but how do i get the animals in the room out? Also it is designated as a " Meeting Hall" if that matters.

Make a wooden cage from the carpenter shop thing then set the cage somewhere and use q-a to assign animals to said cage. The dwarves will then attempt to drag the animals to said cages.

Top Bottom