• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dyad (PSN) |OT| - Psychedelic Sensory Overload

Polygon also posted a pretty nice article here: http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/24/3168970/dyad-the-tale-of-a-man-and-his-machine

So in summary: Demo's up today. Plus discount is still available. New trailer is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9HE_-tpXuA

Good night everyone =)

I suggest every European here does the right thing and downloads this from their US account (well at least the demo)

Hopefully a concrete European release date materializes soon.

I suggest every European here does the right thing and downloads this from their US account (well at least the demo)

Hopefully a concrete European release date materializes soon.

I couldn't wait for a EU release so I bought it from the US Store before the deal expired there. :)

^Congrats on the platinum :)

Thanks man. There were some levels that were just kicking my butt, working at them for like 2 hours with no progress; but then I would put the game down for a bit, come back to it, and just nail it the first time through.

Doing all the trophy levels really shows how meticulous Shawn was in level design, enemy placement, and introducing new concepts. Each level could really stand alone as good game by itself, but layering all the new concepts on top of each other slowly and then building to an epic conclusion was very smart, and not something that most puzzle-like games do well.

It'll be a game that sticks with me for a long time. Thank you Shawn and everybody involved in the creation of this great game!

What was your toughest level?

Hmm, probably KKKKKKKKKKKKK, level 18. Not the trophy level, just getting 3 stars on the regular level. Trophy itself was pretty easy once I did that.

Other tough ones were trophy levels for Miracles and Not Playing is Becoming Increasingly Oppressive, and the regular levels of Heroic Dose and I Really Missed Jack.

wouwie

I'm pleasantly suprised after playing the demo. Not that i was expecting something bad or anything, but i'm surprised at how addictive the gameplay is and how i want to redo each level to get a better score (something i'm usually not bothered with). The game does seem like pure fun to play. Visuals look great too and i'm curious how the gameplay and visuals will evolve in later levels.

I stopped after level 3 since i plan on buying the full game when it arrives in Europe. The demo definately convinced me.

Majmun

Ok, where did this come from?? Never heard of it before and it looks absolutely amazing.

Will download demo when I'm at home.

NJShadow

I am floored that someone was able to beat my 0:40.79 time on 'Giraffes!'. This Qdor guy managed 0:37.36. That is INSANE. I must've gone at that stage 20 times or more just now, and I haven't even been able to match that 40 second time again. It's so funny how no high score is ever safe. =P Comin' for ya bro! (or sis!)

pantsmith

I have no money, and if this was any other game I'd persist with my stinginess, but the demo won me over.

I love this kind of game. Going to lock myself in my room with the lights off and the sound up.

PasteyMF

Will we ever see an OST for this game? Where you at David Kanaga?

Also, how I felt on the last level:
Zr2sY.jpg

I'm guessing my high scores are beaten by now, right? Hehe

Haha, probably. I remember seeing you at the top for most of the beginning levels when I was playing through it the day it came out, but by the time I got the platinum I don't think I saw you with any high scores.

I bet my high score on both the last level and its trophy level have been beaten too, right?

Agent X

I had another unfortunate lockup on trophy level 9 today. After several tries, I finally caught onto what looked like a successful technique. I skillfully executed 3 lances, got 38/50 enemies...I was in the zone, baby! Went for the fourth and final lance, hit an enemy for 39/50 and then the system immediately crashed.

There is good news. I gave it another try a few minutes later. Now that the concept finally "clicked" with me, it didn't take long for me to finally achieve 50/50 and that sweet, sweet trophy. :)

I then went on to try trophy level 10. I managed to nail the trophy on my first try! I'm ranked 66 at the moment, immediately under Wario64 who has me beat by 0.07 seconds.

ShortBus

Just got 'Peking Duck' + did them all in order.

'A Subliminal Reprise' aside, I had a blast.
Most enjoyable, addictive and rewarding game since Pac-Man CE DX.

Just checked and my high score for The Jupiter Mission still stands. I've been taken down on the trophy level, though.

This game is just gonna make me keep coming back to it just to get those two high scores.

thcsquad

I can't get past 'I Really Miss Jack' for the life of me. I get to about a minute and a half in and it just gets too fast to even hit an invincibility in order to go into invincibility extend mode. My best time so far is 2:04. So far I've been ignoring lancing because I'm scared that going even faster will be way worse than just gaining a life. Is that a valid strategy or should I just start lancing and try and rack up lives? Any other tips for that level?

edit: 2:21 now, but still seems like eons till 3:00 and one star :(

I can't get past 'I Really Miss Jack' for the life of me. I get to about a minute and a half in and it just gets too fast to even hit an invincibility in order to go into invincibility extend mode. My best time so far is 2:04. So far I've been ignoring lancing because I'm scared that going even faster will be way worse than just gaining a life. Is that a valid strategy or should I just start lancing and try and rack up lives? Any other tips for that level?

edit: 2:21 now, but still seems like eons till 3:00 and one star :(

That level gave me a lot of trouble too, kept getting under 3:00 until one run I got over 5:00. I don't know what I did different, but I didn't lance even once.

Once it gets to a medium speed it is important to hit multiple enemies in a row when invincible.

Oh, I also didn't hook any enemies. That might help.

My god this game is crazy. I just spent an hour on the very first race trophy level but I finally did it! I dont think I have the mechanics down yet because it took so long to beat, seemed really difficult.

Still its super fun.

Curufinwe

So I'm done with Dyad now, at least for a while. I only was able to get three stars on 13 of the 26 levels, and finish 7 of the trophy levels.

When I went back to earlier levels after playing Eye of the Duck I wasn't doing any better than when I first failed at them, so I guess I was too dumb to really learn anything or get better along the way. I hope there's someone out there working on a really good guide for the game, because I would like to play Dyad more and improve on my results.

So I'm done with Dyad now, at least for a while. I only was able to get three stars on 13 of the 26 levels, and finish 7 of the trophy levels.

When I went back to earlier levels after playing Eye of the Duck I wasn't doing any better than when I first failed at them, so I guess I was too dumb to really learn anything or get better along the way. I hope there's someone out there working on a really good guide for the game, because I would like to play Dyad more and improve on my results.

A guide for this game would be so hard to write. Unless someone found a really easy trick to do for each level, I couldn't see how someone could write anything other than vague tips.

Kudos to anyone who could actually make a good one, though. I know I couldn't, even after beating the game pretty thoroughly.

watership

Or Space Giraffe meets S.T.U.N Runner. If you like this I'd certainly recommend checking out the superior Space Giraffe.

This game looks as "What the fuck am I doing" as Space Giraffe. But that had lots of hate around it too. Isn't Dyad getting praised for the same sorta thing?

Top Bottom