• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dyad (PSN) |OT| - Psychedelic Sensory Overload

Gattsu25

Banned
This game looks as "What the fuck am I doing" as Space Giraffe. But that had lots of hate around it too. Isn't Dyad getting praised for the same sorta thing?
Space Giraffe is simply incomprehensible and not necessarily a fun game, though.

At least this game is fun at its core and eases you into the visual overstimulation

Ok I've gone through all of the levels once. Though I haven't "beaten" the game by a long shot. Shit, I only have one trophy. (I've only attempted 2 so far.)

What's funny is, those last 3 or 4 levels, I must have been in a zone or something, because I was flying through them more easily than the earlier ones. At times I sat there, as my face began to melt, wondering to myself, "What is even happening right now?!?" But somehow pulling off 3 stars. One of them I ranked like 185th place on the leaderboards. Which, for me, is pretty good.

And that last level was...yeah. It went on way too long, though.

Agent X

Trophy level 11 (Observations on the Beautiful and the Sublime) was the biggest challenge for me so far. This level requires you to travel 4000 m, while lancing enemies along the way to refill a rapidly depleting life gauge. I put in several attempts over the last few days. When all is said and done, I must have invested at least 3 or 4 hours of time trying to get this trophy, but I finally did it!

Here are some tips for this level:

When you lance enemies, you refill your lance gauges as well as your life gauge. Early in the level, the game is generous with the amount of energy it gives out. Get into the habit of lancing at least 6 or 7 enemies on each attempt. I recommend you start a lance attempt by hitting a lance extender, and try to aim for lance extenders throughout--although you'll need to get a few regular enemies as well.

You can shoot your hook shot at enemies to propel yourself more quickly, as well as open them up so you can graze them for energy. Sometimes it's good to shoot an enemy just before you begin your lance, to get an added speed boost. As your lance fizzles out, you tend to lose speed, so you might want to shoot an enemy to keep your momentum up.

Once you get to the halfway point (2000 m), things get noticeably tougher. The enemy density appears to thin out, so you'll have to look carefully for a good lance opportunity. Also, lancing enemies won't award you as much energy as it did earlier. If you don't have enough energy to lance, then shoot a few enemies and graze them to regain energy, then lance again as soon as you can. There's very little room for error.

At 3000 m, difficulty appears to ramp up again. There is practically no room for error now. You must make every lance count. At this point, the amount of energy you gain from a lance attempt (even a rather successful one) probably won't be enough to replenish even one lance gauge. You're lancing purely to keep your life meter up now. Graze enemies, and then go for a lance before you lose too much life.

I strongly recommend that you line up your lance shots carefully, even at the late stages. It's better to take a second or two (but not much longer) to aim accurately and achieve a good lance, than to hastily jam on the square button and waste your lance on a failed attempt. After all, you gain nothing from a failed lance. Sometimes it's difficult to maintain composure, because you have the urge to keep the momentum going when the pace slows down, and will release a random lance as a result. However, if you can keep your cool, and maintain control, you'll be able to make it beyond the 4000 m mark and earn the trophy.

Skyzard

Banned
So EU. Guess what is on the store for £1.99 and is basically a Dyad taster....[retro and..different] .. N20 (PSX).

Will suit Vita so well when ps1 support rolls out, hopefully not too long from what I've heard.

Dr.Hadji

7586405346_6b99c1c110_o-440x270.jpg

I just finished an exhausting 4 part review and podcast of Dyad.

I'd appreciate it if the OP could add this link to the first post.

http://www.critical-gaming.com/blog/2012/8/20/critical-casts-episode-1-dyad.html

I'd also appreciate it if anyone could give me some feedback. This is the first podcast I've produced on my own. The last cast I edited was back in 2008.

ShawnMcGrath

Dyad Developer
I still haven't played it. I really want to!

Someone told me I copied it so I looked it up and I've really wanted to play it since!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I bought this game the other day, played through some of the "base levels", then attempted their "trophy levels"... oh man. I am absolutely AWFUL at this game, but I really dig the music and visuals. Need more practice I guess!

BTW, Shawn, have you ever played Internal Section for PS1? Dyad reminds me quite a bit of that game.

ShawnMcGrath

Dyad Developer
I really liked iS. The boss fights were really cool -- it's pretty obvious Rez got a lot of its ideas from iS. The main tunnel part of the game was heavily flawed. Too many weapons and fairly boring pre-determined enemy patterns. The colours were usually ugly and the lack of shading made it very difficult to judge distances. Their heart was definitely in the right place though! I learned a lot from Internal Section.

ShawnMcGrath

Dyad Developer
I'm having a lot of problems with Europe. I was hoping to have it out in the next couple weeks but that's looking unlikely =(

Roto13

I'm having a lot of problems with Europe. I was hoping to have it out in the next couple weeks but that's looking unlikely =(

^^^ See, GAF, this is how you express disappointment in Sony Europe's crappy certification process without screaming like a child.

Everytime I see the thread bumped it leaves me disappointed. Oh and before people say why don't you just buy US version? I want to show support for the region. If they don't see the sales when it eventually comes out they simply won't bother next time.

NHale

Everytime I see the thread bumped it leaves me disappointed. Oh and before people say why don't you just buy US version? I want to show support for the region. If they don't see the sales when it eventually comes out they simply won't bother next time.

Because if the game ends up coming out for Vita (unlikely...), it would be a "Buy 1 Play on Both" kind of deal and if you buy it on US PSN Store you can't play it on a EU account on the Vita.

Thank you Sony for allowing only 1 account per memory card on the Vita.

Carl

Because if the game ends up coming out for Vita (unlikely...), it would be a "Buy 1 Play on Both" kind of deal and if you buy it on US PSN Store you can't play it on a EU account on the Vita.

US Vita version would probably come out before the PS3 version reaches Europe.

Perkel

Banned

Same here i'm waiting for EU version since this thread started.
I wonder what is the problem since USA got certification few months back.
Maybe support for more languages ?

Perkel

Banned

Vita version ? OH that would be best shit ever.

I would totaly pay twice for this game.

softie

I would triple buy the game. US-Version + EU-Version + Vita-Version, this game deserves it; awesomeness on crack! :-D

xabi

Shawn,

When I am in the process of lancing particles do I want to continue hooking as well? Can't figure out if that gives me an extra boost while lancing or not....

Thanks

ShawnMcGrath

Dyad Developer
Ha! No chance of bringing it there, it'd probably cost tens of thousands of dollars =\

There will be EU news hopefully tomorrow or the day after... just confirming the exact date, but it WILL DEFINITELY be out this month in all EU regions except AUS and NZ and is translated into English, French, Italian, German and Spanish. I'll find out more about AUS and NZ by next week.

I'm launching it at a discount cause I feel bad, so please don't give me shit about it taking too long or the aus/nz versions not coming out yet, I'm doing my best and this is stressfull enough =)

I boot my PS3 in month to find this game. I suffer the new Store and lost half an hour searching the game in any ways I could.

Until I came to realise.

It's not out in Europe.

I'm not sure what am I the most angry at : wasting my time or not getting the game or both.

Not to pressure you Shawn, I will support you and your game, but I still don't get it why it has to be so long.

ShawnMcGrath

Dyad Developer
This might be of interest to some people: There's an indiegogo project for "Playing Dyad on Shrooms" Games journalist Justin Amirkhani, (who did Gamer Unplugged: http://gamerunplugged.com/) came to my house, took a bunch of mushrooms and played Dyad on video. He's writing an essay about the experience and releasing the video. You can find info about it here: http://www.indiegogo.com/dyadonshrooms

Also: EU release announcement is happening tomorrow.

Also: EU release announcement is happening tomorrow.
Huzzah! Finally.
I'm going to be stuck into Halo 4, so I may not pick it up immediately.
I boot my PS3 in month to find this game. I suffer the new Store and lost half an hour searching the game in any ways I could.

Until I came to realise.

It's not out in Europe.

I'm not sure what am I the most angry at : wasting my time or not getting the game or both.

Not to pressure you Shawn, I will support you and your game, but I still don't get it why it has to be so long.
Yeah, I bought a €20 PSN card when it originally came out in the U.S. not knowing about the EU situation. That money has sat there.

spats

Going to buy it the second SCEE fixes it on the Finnish store. Tried a few moments ago but got a "this content isn't available" even though it was right there in the 'What's New'-section.

edit: wonderful review from EDGE, congrats Shawn.

Top Bottom