• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light: The Following |OT| Still has zombies in swimsuits

ryseing

DL-wallpapers-1920x1080-9.jpg

Developer: Techland

Publisher: WB Games

Price: $19.99 DLC for the base game/$29.99 as part of the Season Pass/$59.99 as part of the Enhanced Edition

Release: February 9, 2016/February 12 (EU consoles)/April 21 (JP)

Platforms: PC/PS4/XB1

What is Dying Light: The Following?

The Following is the expansion to Techland's 2015 open world zombie game Dying Light. Leave the quarantine zone and investigate a mysterious faith that has asserted itself in the seemingly serene countryside – a region bigger than all areas of Dying Light combined! The expansion is a massive story-based expansion that brings mysterious characters, deadly new weapons, unexpected quests, and fully customizable and drivable dirt buggies.

All-terrain dirt buggies are going to be your key tool to survival and getting around this hazardous countryside. Level up your new Driver Rank skill tree and upgrade your ride to create your most deadly and effective weapon yet. Fully customizable with specialized weapons, attachments, decals and paint jobs, your buggy is going to be your one-way ticket to zombie smashing mayhem.

To get close to the cult and unravel their secrets, players will need to earn the trust of the locals. Through various missions and tasks, players will be able to choose their own path for infiltrating the inner circles of the cultists. As you earn more trust, you’ll be granted more imperative tasks along with access to dark cult secrets which will help unravel the mystery that has taken hold of this once serene land.

What is the Enhanced Edition?
The Enhanced Edition is a package that includes the base game and all of the content included thus far for $59.99. All players will receive a patch that has the following improvements:
  • Legend System
  • Nightmare Difficulty
  • Bounties System
  • New Parkour Moves
  • New Enemy Attacks & Behaviors
  • #DrinkForDLC Content
  • New NPC Models
  • Enhanced Facial Expressions
  • Improved Human Enemy AI
  • Improved Volatile AI
  • Greater Firearm Variety
  • HUD and Video Filter Customizations
  • Audio Upgrades
  • Gameplay Quality Improvements
  • Console Performance Upgrades
  • Overall Game Look and Feel Improvements
Wait, so if I just own the vanilla game, I don't have to buy anything to get access to all of this additional content not included in The Following?

Correct. In fact, this infograph explains everything.

GAF Co-op

Like the original game, The Following includes full four-player online co-op. Quote this post for the spreadsheet and play The Following with some fellow Gaffers!
Spreadsheet
There also is a PSN community. Search for my PSN username (bmc811) to request and post in this thread so I know who you are.

Reviews
Kotaku- The car is a kick, the new map is fun to explore, and the zombie killing is as gruesomely great as ever.

Destructoid- The Following was larger than I expected, and it maintains a high level of quality throughout. Being pared down from the bloat of Dying Light earns it more moment-to-moment excitement, and I greedily consumed it over the weekend. The last few minutes have me pondering the future of what's clearly going to become a franchise, and I'm ready for whatever Techland brings next. (9/10)

Launch trailer

FAQ

So if I don't own Dying Light, what should I buy? What if I only own the vanilla game?
Buy the Enhanced Edition. As for vanilla owners, the Season Pass content value is questionable if you don't want some extra outfits and missions. You're probably better off just getting the expansion.

How do I access The Following?
There's a separate menu. You can transfer your character back and forth from the base game to the expansion.

I'm having technical issues! Is there anywhere I can go to report these?
http://support.techland.pl/support/tickets/new

I bought the disc version. Is everything included on the disc, or is there a code I have to enter?

Everything is included on disc.

Nightmare mode video by a Gaffer- https://youtu.be/WnHEJ9qRSas

So in. I get my g-sync monitor tomorrow so my biggest issue of constant tearing without triple buffering will be solved. Bought the Season Pass + Game for like $40 4 months ago.

ryseing

Yes. Awesome OT!

Thanks. My Photoshop skills are nonexistent so I had to rely on Techland's website for all of the assets. Shout out to Techland's social media/web presence team as it is top notch.

I've got my key for this. OT title is spot on, I remember that thread/post.

Yeah, for those of you wondering the subtitle is a reference to a post made in one of the pre-release threads.

I've been replaying the base game in order to get ready for The Following (lost my save thanks to my console being stolen) and I really don't know where that complaint was coming from. I've seen all of two zombies in swimsuits. Not a common model by any means.

I got this game on a whim during Gamestop's digital version snafu at launch where anyone buying the season pass through their website got the full game download instead and then a copy of the season pass sent to them for free to make up for the mistake.

Turned out to be one of the best games of the year, and now The Following looks great.

For the price of the season pass alone, this is the gift that just keeps on giving.

Wil348

That reference in the title is sublime.

Can't wait for this tomorrow, co-op is going to be a blast. By the way, can somebody clarify how many people can fit on to one buggy? I swear I remember seeing a player hanging on to the side somewhere, and I know someone can go on the back and gun.

So the Xbox Store says The Following doesn't come out until the 12th in the UK. Shit. I was planning on playing this at midnight tonight :(

I played through the entire base game the past couple of weeks in light of this upcoming release, and I STILL want more. I for one, am extremely excited about this!

thenexus6

Bought the season pass last week so I am all set to go. Hoping the enhanced download would be available before the Following was released.

Since this is an expansion I'm guessing there's no way to prepurchase/preload it? I'm gonna buy it all excited on 2/9 after midnight and get hit with like a 20GB download, aren't I?

edit: vanilla owner, just buying the expansion

I've been debating over whether I should take a leap with this edition after all the positive word of mouth from last year regarding the base game. I believe a community manager on the Techland forum stated that all the new content was featured on disc so that's a huge plus in my book as a physical collector. I wasn't too thrilled with the few hours I invested into "Dead Island", but I really enjoyed the "Call of Juarez" franchise so that makes me want to give the developers another shot. It sounds like this project nailed what their first zombie forte wished it could've achieved on an entertainment level. I still have some new purchases that I want to hammer out before taking the dive so I'll be watching out for any impressions to see if this will be a good piece to hold me off until "Dark Souls III" drops within the next few months.

Wil348

According to the game's Twitter the DLC is out tomorrow everywhere but Japan (April 21st). So Xbox Uk must have made a mistake or they are referring to the physical version of Enhanced Edition.

According to the game's Twitter the DLC is out tomorrow everywhere but Japan (April 21st). So Xbox Uk must have made a mistake or they are referring to the physical version of Enhanced Edition.

Ok, thank god. Hope it releases at midnight! Wanna slay some zombies ;)

I wasn't too thrilled with the few hours I invested into "Dead Island", but I really enjoyed the "Call of Juarez" franchise so that makes me want to give the developers another shot.

I was sort of bored with Dead Island. I had 2 friends playing coop with me, and I only maintained interest as long as they were pushing me to play. I'm really not sure what it was about Dying Light that made it so much better, but it just hooked me. I played it in 2 player coop, but when my coop partner wasn't on I did side missions and stuff without him, because I just wanted to play more.

Bizzquik

I can't wait to hear impressions of the regular game versus its new version.

Let us know your thoughts when you get it, GAF.

Shredderi

I love the thread title. I remember the heated argument from that one guy. Been waiting for this. Such a good day this february 9 is going to be.

I can't wait to hear impressions of the regular game versus its new version.

Let us know your thoughts when you get it, GAF.

You worked on it?

Do we know if this is interwoven into the main campaign (eg could travel between the expansion and main world from a tunnel/door or something), or a seperate "world" (eg choose regular game or expansion at startup)?

Also, does it scale to your level or have a minimum level requirement?

bee

anyone know the steam unlock times? already know it's gonna be awesome i just hope to fuck they've finally put a chromatic aberration toggle in there

Do we know if this is interwoven into the main campaign (eg could travel between the expansion and main world from a tunnel/door or something), or a seperate "world" (eg choose regular game or expansion at startup)?

Also, does it scale to your level or have a minimum level requirement?

I believe it works in the same way that you travel from old town Harran to the slums, but I dont think anybody knows for sure exactly.

Planet

is the standalone for 20 dollars confirmed?
It's not standalone, this is the price for the expansion without the rest of the season pass. Standalone would be the Enhanced Edition with everything.

A bit misleading choice of words.

That reference in the title is sublime.

Can't wait for this tomorrow, co-op is going to be a blast. By the way, can somebody clarify how many people can fit on to one buggy? I swear I remember seeing a player hanging on to the side somewhere, and I know someone can go on the back and gun.

Hey, not sure if anyone has replied but my impression based on the gameplay footage was the buggies held 2 people at a time. I shot a question on Twitter but doubt I'll get a reply, so we might just have to wait and see!

Banned
Steam still doesn't have the enhanced edition page up. I played the demo and really want this game.

can someone please clarify that it will level boost me if I just do the expansion. I have played and completed the original on my old US PSN account but not done the same using my Norwegian PSN. Does it do what heart of stone did and rank you up to the level start?

a region bigger than all areas of Dying Light combined

All-terrain dirt buggies are going to be your key tool to survival and getting around this hazardous countryside. Level up your new Driver Rank skill tree and upgrade your ride to create your most deadly and effective weapon yet. Fully customizable with specialized weapons, attachments, decals and paint job
Holy shit. This sounds like it could have been a full fledged sequel. I had no idea it would be this expansive.

120v

just got done being LTTP on Dying Light. loved it but after the second half i was pretty much a god and it got boring quick. hope the endgame to this is a little more varied assuming it's not just a few hours long

Top Bottom