• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light: The Following |OT| Still has zombies in swimsuits

Bizzquik

I can't wait to hear impressions of the regular game versus its new version.

Let us know your thoughts when you get it, GAF.

You worked on it?

Oh, no. Sorry for any confusion.

Just a consumer wanting to hear from fellow Gaffers if the new version is a considerable improvement.

I remember hearing how the game had a great sense of tension for the first few hours...but then devolved into something less interesting as the player leveled up. I'm hoping that gets addressed in the new version.

I bought the game and its season pass on PC a long time ago, but never got around to playing it. The new version seems just the thing to rekindle my initial interest. :)

Excited! Purchased this during the December sale, and it's been tough to wait this long.

Is difficulty changeable? Do you have to start Nightmare with a new character, or can you just up it later?

Cels

Still need help with bozak.

bozak generally easier to solo than coop. that said, i still haven't done the explosive arrow challenge.

can someone please clarify that it will level boost me if I just do the expansion. I have played and completed the original on my old US PSN account but not done the same using my Norwegian PSN. Does it do what heart of stone did and rank you up to the level start?

never saw anyone anywhere from techland say there would be a level boost, where did you hear there would be one? or are you just engaging in some wishful thinking/assumptions?

Holy shit. This sounds like it could have been a full fledged sequel. I had no idea it would be this expansive.

Yep pretty much is, with the new map being twice as big as the vanilla map. The countryside setting with scattered towns and a buggy to get around is going to soak at least a couple hundred hours for myself...

So looking forward to jumping back into this.

Loved my time with it on the first go round, but taking a small break from the game left me and my co-op buddy miles apart in terms of capability and difficulty and completion, so I ended up putting it down.

I only ever got maybe a third in, but it was all good. Restarting and re-learning my parkour routes is more than welcome.

Dying Light was my personal sleeper hit of 2015, I am very excited for The Following. The countryside will be a welcome change from the urban areas of the main game.

bozak generally easier to solo than coop. that said, i still haven't done the explosive arrow challenge.

never saw anyone anywhere from techland say there would be a level boost, where did you hear there would be one? or are you just engaging in some wishful thinking/assumptions?

You have to coop it to get the arrows

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It's impossible for me. i'm on hard with a character I'm purposefully not upgrading (except for grapple/throws) because I think the base game is hilariously fun with a weak character... but in turn it makes soloing bozak impossible.

I would like to have the bow for this character, but they won't let me. I would rather have just bought the f'n thing outright. I kind of did, tbh... they advertised the bow before really describing the actual dlc mechanics.

Yes, I'm salty about. Before this expansion, their dlc efforts had been quite bad.

Bizzquik

Question:
is The Following wholly separate from the main game?

Or can I play some of the main game, travel to The Following countryside for a bit and do some quests, then go back to the main game area, etc.

I'm hoping its not a separate mode that can only be accessed outside of a main game play-though.

Guess I'll be playing this soon. Most of our old Destiny static are going to co-op the hell out of this game. I tried the demo over the weekend and it's definitely a successor to Dead Island in every shape and form. Probably the most fun I had in a zombie themed game in a along time. I'd spend just hours parkouring all over the place or just hacking zombies.

Night time is where things get interesting, heh.

Almost bought it digital for 30 bucks on PSN, but something told me to wait.

Dreez

Time to finally play Dying Light :D :D :D :D

If you already bought the season pass by mistake like me, Dying Light digital code for PS4 is now $29.99 on amazon.

Berlin

Neo Member
Question:

Or can I play some of the main game, travel to The Following countryside for a bit and do some quests, then go back to the main game area, etc.

I'm hoping its not a separate mode that can only be accessed outside of a main game play-though.

"You will be able to freely transfer your character progress between the base game and Dying Light: The Following at any point through the main menu."

"You will be able to freely transfer your character progress between the base game and Dying Light: The Following at any point through the main menu."

Isn't it two different characters though? Also it's not seamless like GTA where you can drive from the city to the countryside is it?

Krakn3Dfx

I got the base game + SP on PS4 for $20 the week it came out because of the infamous Gamestop price glitch, but ended up playing through it on the PC anyway since I'd already bought it there. Bought the SP on the PC while it was still $20. Hope The Following lives up to the hype.

I remember hearing how the game had a great sense of tension for the first few hours...but then devolved into something less interesting as the player leveled up. I'm hoping that gets addressed in the new version.

Normal daytime zombies are really only a threat for the first few hours, and even then, they arent much of a problem.

Nighttime zombies are a completely different story though, even when you are high level they can destroy you pretty quickly and it makes the game much more "survival horror" than just running around in the daytime destroying normal zombies.

Bizzquik

Question:

Nice!
I'm hoping its a pretty easy process; as simple as visiting another loaded area.

MaKTaiL

Looks like we got the first review here

Sounds like its a bit more difficult than the base game but the reviewer seemed to like it a lot.
"The difficulty isn’t as savage as, say, Bloodborne: The Old Hunters, but The Following will definitely challenge even the most seasoned of Dying Light players."

Nice. The game really needed a bigger challange for endgame.

DeaDPo0L84

I have a question and hope someone can answer. I have beaten the game but just yesterday chose to replay a mission trying to get a trophy. When I launch "the following" tonight will I have to replay the final mission to have a save post campaign or will the game remember that I beaten it prior to replaying an earlier mission? Sorry for the long question but it's kinda driving me nuts.

Cels

You have to coop it to get the arrows

no, you do not. you don't have to coop any part of bozak horde to get anything. it can all be done solo. you can get the bow and all the blueprints solo.

It's impossible for me. i'm on hard with a character I'm purposefully not upgrading (except for grapple/throws) because I think the base game is hilariously fun with a weak character... but in turn it makes soloing bozak impossible.

I would like to have the bow for this character, but they won't let me. I would rather have just bought the f'n thing outright. I kind of did, tbh... they advertised the bow before really describing the actual dlc mechanics.

Yes, I'm salty about. Before this expansion, their dlc efforts had been quite bad.

well if you are purposely gimping yourself by not leveling up your character then you already know what you can do to help yourself beat bozak. i think without the parkour upgrades getting the explosive arrow blueprint (beat the challenge in under 31 min solo) is going to be impossible.

also bozak doesn't change whether your game is set to normal or hard difficulty. it's the same for both.

Chromatic aberration toggle on consoles. Yes or no?

I had to sell the game previously because it was so over the top in the base game. I am not even a snob about it in most games but here is was making my head hurt.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
also bozak doesn't change whether your game is set to normal or hard difficulty. it's the same for both.
Yes, I said it was impossible.

And my health packs are different. Along with some other stuff, like stamina drain, etc... at least it feels that way.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Will request to be part of the PSN community, my psn id is dashkap
I'm looking for first-time players/gaffers to co-op the *vanilla game* (+enhancements) which I've bought for cheap (15€) last month and have been waiting for the patch to hit to start playing.

Adding myself to the spreadsheet, if you add me send me a request telling me your GAF handle or I'll probably ignore you if I mistake u for a random

Patchy

Banned
Really looking forward to this, OG Dying Light is one of the few games I have actually finished completely. :)

TheBear

Is there any value to the season pass when the DLC is $10 cheaper?
I only hear bad things about the horde mode and it wouldn't interest me anyway, and I could care less about a weapons pack.

Is there any value to the season pass when the DLC is $10 cheaper?
I only hear bad things about the horde mode and it wouldn't interest me anyway, and I could care less about a weapons pack.

The only thing you would be missing out on are a few new quarantine zones and the Bozak Horde (neither of which is very interesting IMO), and a few additional costumes. None of which justify the additional $10 IMO.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Will request to be part of the PSN community, my psn id is dashkap
I'm looking for first-time players/gaffers to co-op the *vanilla game* (+enhancements) which I've bought for cheap (15€) last month and have been waiting for the patch to hit to start playing.

Adding myself to the spreadsheet, if you add me send me a request telling me your GAF handle or I'll probably ignore you if I mistake u for a random

Dunno why I can't add myself to the spreadsheet, not via the website nor the google sheets app :(

If a kind soul who's more lucky than I with the edits could do it for me I'd appreciate it.

Psn id: dashkap /EU/ Enhanced Base game only

Wil348

UK PSN here, game space for my physical copy no longer has the vanilla version available for digital purchase.

it'shappening.gif

Yudoken

Fun fact of the day, they tried to release a censored version in the german market but they didn't got a 18 rating.
Better for me, no need to hassle with getting the uncut version on pc.
RIP AND TEAR, I'm ready!
Should I wait for the updates or load the game already?

Top Bottom