• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dylann Roof (neo-Nazi Charleston church shooter) found guilty on all counts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dram

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/dylann-roof-case-trial-charleston-church-shooting-jury-deliberations/
It’s now up to jurors to mull the guilt or innocence of a man charged with slaying nine black worshippers during Bible study at a South Carolina church.

Deliberations are getting underway Thursday afternoon in the Dylann Roof case, in which he faces 33 federal charges including hate crimes and obstruction of religion.

The court is at ease until there is either a question from the jurors or the jurors reach a verdict, CBS Charleston affiliate WCSC reports.

The jury’s decision must be unanimous. If Roof is convicted, the same panel will reconvene Jan. 3 to begin considering if he should be sentenced to death or life in prison.

Jurors heard from witnesses who testified Roof made multiple trips to Charleston in the months before the June 2015 attack at Emanuel AME Church. They also heard from two survivors.

Defense attorney David Bruck conceded in his closing argument Thursday that Roof killed the victims and even praised the FBI investigation. But Bruck also argued Roof was a suicidal, impressionable loner who never grasped the gravity of what he did.

Roof said in his confession, a journal found in his car and a statement he posted online that he wanted his killings to lead to a return of segregation or perhaps a race war. Instead, the single biggest change to come from the June 17, 2015, killings was the removal of the Confederate flag from in front of the South Carolina Statehouse after it spent 50 years flying over the capitol or on its grounds.

Williams recounted other evidence, like how Roof sat in the Emanuel AME parking lot for 28 minutes in his car, likely loading the 88 bullets - a number embraced symbolically by racists - into eight magazines. The 22-year-old white man then sat in the prayer service for nearly 45 minutes before opening fire as the worshippers closed their eyes for the final prayer.

In the defense’s closing argument, Bruck said Roof was just imitating what he saw on the internet.

Roof’s mental problems led him to accept all the racist lies he read as truth, and give his life to “a fight to the death between white people and black people that only he” could see and act on, Bruck said.

Roof never had any regrets, sticking to his assertion that the killings had to happen after he researched “black on white crime” on the internet. He said he chose a church because that setting posed little danger to him.

guek

Banned
Can someone remind me why Roof isn't pleading guilty? I mean, on the first day of testimonies he chuckled and said "everyone knows I did it" like this is all a formality. I don't get what the defense's case is.

NPR had a story about the trial a week ago or so. Apparently whatever defense team is wasn't trying to prove he didn't do it but "What would cause him to do this". I don't follow many court cases close but that sounds like a bizarre defense considering he murdered people in a horrible way.

johnny956

The guy is defending himself going forward right?
Hope they throw the book at him and more with that.

It's either life without parole or death. So depending on a person's belief in the death penalty, he's getting the book thrown at him regardless

The defense put up no witnesses. They tried to present evidence about his mental state, but the judge ruled it didn’t have anything to do with his guilt or innocence.

This is an open and shut case. The defense doesn't dispute the facts, and the judge ruled that they can't go for the "he didn't know what he was doing" defense.

If this is anything but a guilty verdict, there will be riots, and for very very good reason.

Can someone remind me why Roof isn't pleading guilty? I mean, on the first day of testimonies he chuckled and said "everyone knows I did it" like this is all a formality. I don't get what the defense's case is.

They should have blamed a sugar spike from a Twinkie.

They seemingly argue he was mentally ill and that the internet is at fault.

ezekial45

Banned
This kid brought an assault rifle into a black church to specifically target black. It was premediated, calculated murder. He even said that he felt somewhat guilty about doing it because of how nice and welcoming they were to him prior to the shooting.

This better be a fucking open and shut case for the jury.

RPGCrazied

I hope he gets life prison to rot for the rest of his life. Death for this lunatic is easy escape. The families of the slain deserve justice.

RIP!

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
If this takes more than 30 seconds....

Do they decide what happens to him too?

I mean, find him guilty obviously, but do they decide if he gets death or LIP? That may take a while to decide if so.

My faith in American justice is low. Prepped to watch it erode to nothing.

Erode to nothing, like what do you mean? Insanity or something? He's defending himself, I've heard, so I don't think he could make a strong enough case for that.

Also, is your avatar based off my old mario squirtgun hahaha. I love it

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't normally say someone is a total monster but this dude is it. Watching his interviews with the authorities after he had been caught was some sick fucking shit. He was straight up laughing it up when talking about murdering people in graphic detail. We're talking me laughing about fucking up cooking dinner the night prior because I didn't follow the directions but he's got the same attitude about cold blooded first degree murder.

RPGCrazied

He should get at least a few consecutive life sentences, but, knowing America, he'll end up walking.

Our justice system isn't that bad. He murdered 9 people in cold blood as they were fucking praying in church.

Doesn't get much more vile than that. He isn't walking.

If they return anything but a guilty verdict then the jury members who hold things up need to be thrown out, banned from jury duty for life and investigated for corruption.

This is as open and shut as it gets. Also after that fucking fiasco with the police shooting trial recently ustice needs to be done here.

FStop7

Banned

In death penalty states there's usually an automatic not guilty plea if the death penalty is on the table.

This entire trial is about whether or not he'll receive the death penalty.

Do they decide what happens to him too?

No.

The jury’s decision must be unanimous. If Roof is convicted, the same panel will reconvene Jan. 3 to begin considering if he should be sentenced to death or life in prison.

Even that should take no longer than 5 minutes. Fucker should be fried. Fuck compassion. Tired of the high road while motherfuckers gun innocent Black people at fucking Church. Him and anyone that does what he did should die slow.

Motherfucker kills all Black people and his jury is 73% White. Shit should be:
yAl8tlc.gif

Hazmat

This kid brought an assault rifle into a black church to specifically target black. It was premediated, calculated murder. He even said that he felt somewhat guilty about doing it because of how nice and welcoming they were to him prior to the shooting.

This better be a fucking open and shut case for the jury.

It was a handgun. That doesn't make it better, but it wasn't an assault rifle.

There is a 0% chance that he isn't found guilty on almost or all charges. He "spared" one of the people from the church to be able to tell others about what happened and when it was his defense attorneys turn to cross-examine her he (the lawyer) simply said "I am very sorry. I have no questions." The only question in this case is whether he gets life without parole or the death penalty.

cyress8

Banned
Erode to nothing, like what do you mean? Insanity or something? He's defending himself, I've heard, so I don't think he could make a strong enough case for that.

Also, is your avatar based off my old mario squirtgun hahaha. I love it
It should be an instant guilty verdict. I know one of the jurors will fuck this up.

There are people serving on jury duty that lack common sense. I witnessed this crap first hand. I served on a case that should have lasted 30 minutes, just to allow everyone to pee and stretch our legs. Shit had a mistrial because of 1 annoying woman that would not listen to anything and already had her mind made up.

Important stuff like this should not be in the hands of common people.

Xe4

Banned
Wouldn't shock me if he walked on some mental illness defense.

That is what I thought about the Walter Scott case.
First off, Walter Scott probably isn't going to walk. It was a mistrial because one juror refused to convict. Second off, a cop shooting a black person on tape, and a guy mass murdering people are two very different degrees of fucked up.

Dude is going to have to book thrown at him. The real question is whether he will get life or death.

Raxus

First off, Walter Scott probably isn't going to walk. It was a mistrial because one juror refused to convict. Second off, a cop shooting a black peraon on tape, and a guy mass murdering people are two very different degrees of fucked up.

Dude is going to have to book thrown at him. The real question is whether he will get life or death.

I would also like to point out there is evidence of the guy doing target practice in the days leading up to the shooting which marks intent.

Guy is going down either way.

If anyone hates having money, I'll give you 100-1 odds on Roof getting anything below life in prison.

He did try pleading guilty to get life in prison. The prosecutors denied that deal to get him the death sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom