• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dylann Roof (neo-Nazi Charleston church shooter) found guilty on all counts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I think what bothers me more than anything is that he's still alive to begin with.

If he weren't a white 20 something, he'd have been gunned down before he could say "I surre". Let alone taken to fucking Burger King, lord knows that'll piss me off long after he gets the needle to the arm.
If you're talking to police, giving information and confessing to murders, you're going to get a free meal from cops. That's the way it works. They didn't know for certain if he acted alone.

The amount of times I see the Burger King thing brought up like he was being rewarded is ridiculous. It's an interrogation tactic, nothing more.

There will be one juror who can't convict. Quote me

Quoted

Xe4

Banned
Will wait for the end to feel whatever.

As a society we should be beyond a lot of things but we're not. Our next president shares a lot of the beliefs Roof has.
Agreed, but I don't see how that affects my point. The push for progress and justice in this country should not be slowed because it would mean we could not see people we dislike suffer.

NandoGip

If you're talking to police, giving information and confessing to murders, you're going to get a free meal from cops. That's the way it works. They didn't know for certain if he acted alone.

The amount of times I see the Burger King thing brought up like he was being rewarded is ridiculous. It's an interrogation tactic, nothing more.

The point is, if it was a black guy in a white church, the black dude would have been bombed by a remote controlled robot.

Quoted

The point that was being made was that Roof survived his attack where a black shooter may not have.

Also Angelus didn't specify this trial :v Maybe it's an off-topic post!

Agreed, but I don't see how that affects my point. The push for progress and justice in this country should not be slowed because it would mean we could not see people we dislike suffer.

I'm saying there's no point in appealing to the better nature of man/society because these things no longer matter in America.

At any rate, glad to see that he's been officially pronounced guilty.

It's an interrogation tactic reserved for white people. That's the point. They stopped and got him food, they were gracious, they got his information peacefully.

If he were two shades darker he'd have a boot on his neck and a bullet in his back.

Xe4

Banned
There will be one juror who can't convict. Quote me

Glad he's guilty. No surprises here, but it's nice to are justice was done.

I'm saying there's no point in appealing to the better nature of man/society because these things no longer matter in America.

At any rate, glad to see that he's been officially pronounced guilty.
These things don't matter, so we need to make them matter. And it starts in cases like this. Remember, Dukakis got shit on because he beleived in societal justice over personal vengence. I'd like to think we've moved past the 1980's.

Faith partially restored in the US justice system.

Now order the retrial of the cop in the George Walter Scott shooting, if any racists derail the case turn their asses over to the feds for an investigation.

These things don't matter, so we need to make them matter. And it starts in cases like this. Remember, Dukakis got shit on because he beleived in societal justice over personal vengence. I'd like to think we've moved past the 1980's.

The war on drugs is ramping up again, Russia is in the midst of a demographic and economic crisis and getting testy in the ME, we elected a racist TV star president and we're due for a recession to hit sooner rather than later due to the absurd way our economy is run.

The 80's never left.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
It's an interrogation tactic reserved for white people. That's the point. They stopped and got him food, they were gracious, they got his information peacefully.

If he were two shades darker he'd have a boot on his neck and a bullet in his back.
It's impossible to argue against a hypothetical. The guy who got blown up by a robot was not surrendering, he was holding a gun and shooting at cops - which was his entire plan.

Even Dzhokhar Tsarnaev got taken alive.

Never thought about it like that. I'm sure even if it is easier in any aspect, there's still a lot of procedure to go through or maybe even having to explain a charge.

Actually that comes later, on the 3rd. What they're doing now is just going through each charge one by one, and there may be a small disagreement about one individual charge or another. He's going to be found guilty on the vast majority of them, though.

Yeah I should have been clearer but what I meant was that the process as a whole can't possibly just be expedited because of how bad the crimes were. Regardless of what he did there is a process in place for a reason, as much as we might want to say "well this guy should obviously be put to death let's start warming up the ol' lethal injection chamber"

The war on drugs is ramping up again, Russia is in the midst of a demographic and economic crisis and getting testy in the ME, we elected a racist TV star president and we're due for a recession to hit sooner rather than later due to the absurd way our economy is run.

The 80's never left.

The moment the economy hits the shitter there will be many more Dylan Roof's ready to blame "the other" for their problems...

Does the jury hand over the DP or the judge in this state?

Jury.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I'm torn.

Let him rot in prison the rest of his life, getting manhandled and tossed around?

Or save money and let the monster die?

Xe4

Banned

The 80's never left.
We have, however made strides in abolishing the death penalty and in attempting to reduce false convictions. South Carolina will be one of the last states to abolish the death penalty, largely on the back of Dylan Roof and others like him, whilst all the other horrible things the death penalty does will remain.

I'm torn.

Let him rot in prison the rest of his life, getting manhandled and tossed around?

Or save money and let the monster die?
The death penalty costs more than life in prison.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Faith partially restored in the US justice system.

Now order the retrial of the cop in the George Walter Scott shooting, if any racists derail the case turn their asses over to the feds for an investigation.

It's gonna take a lot more than the conviction of a a dude who admits to being a mass murderer in open court to restore my faith in the criminal justice system.

Jenov

It's impossible to argue against a hypothetical. The guy who got blown up by a robot was not surrendering, he was holding a gun and shooting at cops - which was his entire plan.

Even Dzhokhar Tsarnaev got taken alive.

Dzhokhar was just lucky as fuck. They shot his ass up, he ended up with multiple injuries, including a bullet through his face.

I'm usually a pretty peaceful guy, and definitely dislike the death penalty.

That said, nothing has shown me that this boy is anything short of evil incarnate.

I hope he burns in hell.

vainya

Neo Member
His defense should have let him plead guilty like he wanted. This trial just made sure that he'll rot for the rest of his life in prison. The death penalty will probably never be carried out because of appeals and drug shortages but taking away his freedoms is fine with me.

I'm also glad that some media outlets are calling him a white supremacist, now all they need to do is call him a terrorist

Pretty sure Roof wants the death penalty for the quick out and the martyrdom. I'd rather he slowly lose his mind in prison and die unknown and without media slobbering over it

entremet

Eh. I'm torn.

I'm anti death penalty due its racist application, but I won't shed a tear if he gets it.

However, it seems he wants it, so he shouldn't get it and become a martyr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom