• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2008 Sony Conference

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
so i missed this: was a white ps3, preferably 65nm tech, announced for NA this year?

slider

Nuclear Muffin said:
Where's the video marketplace? I can't see it on the Playstation Store!

Are you NA? Actually, rephrase that... are you in the US? Don't think it's up even in Canada. So forget it if you're Europe...

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
blu said:
so i missed this: was a white ps3, preferably 65nm tech, announced for NA this year?
65 nm is never announced. They stealth add it because it could potentially hurt sales of older systems.

Elios83

blu said:

White no, but the 80GB model announced which will replace the 40GB model should feature the fourth internal redesign with both Cell and RSX at 65nm.

blu

Elios83 said:
White no, but the 80GB model announced which will replace the 40GB model should feature the fourth internal redesign with both Cell and RSX at 65nm.
so sony will skip on the white JP 40GB redesing for NA?

Elios83

blu said:
so sony will skip on the white JP 40GB redesing for NA?

All 40GB models are in clearence sale all over the world right now. Japan will get the 80GB for 39.800yen as the only SKU too although it hasn't been announced yet.
I guess they will continue to provide white and silver colours in Japan on the new 80GB SKU.
If those are coming in US and Europe it's up to everyone's guess. I think they should, since there is no price drop this year but just more value for the same money it makes sense to try to keep demand high bringing new colours to western markets in addition the obvious bundles with games and/or movies during the holyday season.

blu

i should've clarified this originally: my interest lies in the white jp 40GB motherboard revision (cell@65, RSX@90) - i don't give two fidgements about the color.

the reason i'm expecting that to appear in NA is that not long ago there were hints of this redesing being filed for FCC certification - pictures showing the exact same outputs layout, plus the white color.

that said, if the upcoming 80GB sku is expected to be a new redesign, particulatly one featuring 65nm across the board, then i'm one happy camper, as it addresses all my ps3 priorities: sane power draw, availability around LBP launch, trimmed BC.

Elios83

blu said:
i should've clarified this originally: my interest lies in the white jp 40GB motherboard revision (cell@65, RSX@90) - i don't give two fidgements about the color.

the reason i'm expecting that to appear in NA is that not long ago there were hints of this redesing being filed for FCC certification - pictures showing the exact same outputs layout, plus the white color.

that said, if the upcoming 80GB sku is expected to be a new redesign, particulatly one featuring 65nm across the board, then i'm one happy camper, as it addresses all my ps3 priorities: sane power draw, availability around LBP launch, trimmed BC.

80GB will be a better SKU if that's your concern.It's the newest revision with all chips at 65nm and power consumption between 120-140W. I thought you just wanted a white one.
BTW the white 40GB PS3 has the same 65nm Cell and 90nm RSX of all the other 40GB models, the motherboard has a slightly different layout but it's a not a better model in terms of power consumption, noise, reliability compared to the black 40GB afaik.

Guy Legend

Now that it appears as though Sony is going with one sku in NA, I would fully expect for them to bring out the white PS3 as an 80gb system in the not too far future. Perhaps even in time for this holidays.

Deep shame to lose PS2 backwards compatibility. I prefer the one sku approach, and with PS2 implementation not being that costly to implement, it would have been perfect if they had all skus the same to include it. Hopefully and maybe...they are working on full software emulation for PS2 games.

I strongly doubt they are going with 1 SKU. This is just temporary. It's obvious they are setting up for this Fall for when they announce their new $299 or $349 40GB model. Maybe even as a slim version.

Kittonwy

Banned
Truespeed said:
Hey everyone, it's internationally unknown recording artist Duffy. Choo Choo. Let's get this MOFO press conference back on track.

http://www.contactmusic.com/pics/la/glastonbury_day_two_6_290608/duffy_performing_1948561.jpg

kawaii.gif

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Search is back up, so I found the gif I was looking for.

Anyways, if losing Final Fantasy XIII proved anything, it's that Sir Stringer should clean house at SCEI and bring back Kutaragi on a white horse. Like this.
4l414wx.gif

OmegaRed

I know this might sound dumb but could the reason Japanese developers are not really putting any exclusives on the PS3 be because Ken Kuturagi is gone?

My friend brought this up. He said Japanese developers probably had a sense of loyalty to Ken Kuturagi and a close working relationship from his time as President of SCEI. With him gone, they saw no need to continue throwing exclusives at the PS3.

But then again, in my opinion, he probably just threw cash at them whenever they asked for it, especially for exclusives.

Elios83

OmegaRed said:
I know this might sound dumb but could the reason Japanese developers are not really putting any exclusives on the PS3 be because Ken Kuturagi is gone?

My friend brought this up. He said Japanese developers probably had a sense of loyalty to Ken Kuturagi and a close working relationship from his time as President of SCEI. With him gone, they saw no need to continue throwing exclusives at the PS3.

But then again, in my opinion, he probably just threw cash at them whenever they asked for it, especially for exclusives.

Yeah they had so much loyalty that Capcom betrayed him by putting all the Resident Evil series plus all the promising games they had exclusively on Gamecube. Of course things went really badly for them and they had to come back to Sony which was hilarious. Even Square Enix started to support Nintendo again just after Kutaragi saved them from bankrupcy buying non voting stock (so they were just trying to help them, not control them) just because they knew they were losing potential profits by not supporting the GBA.
This is just business there is no loyalty. PS2 had all the japanese exclusives by default, not through money hats, because there was no viable alternative, Xbox was the gaijin newcomer with zero marketshare in Japan, Gamecube was a failure and PS2 had a 70% marketshare (even more in Japan).
By putting FFXIII on the 360 Square Enix can sell at least 2 million units more than if the game was only on PS3 and that coupled with the money hats Microsoft has passed was too much for Sony to do anything to prevent it.

Magnus

I must be blind; has the Video Delivery service been up since July 15th as announced? I see no tab on the PS Store as demoed in the conference. Help a retard out. =/

Zoe

Magnus said:
I must be blind; has the Video Delivery service been up since July 15th as announced? I see no tab on the PS Store as demoed in the conference. Help a retard out. =/

You're only gonna see it if you're physically in the US or you're using a proxy.

Top Bottom